ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - We either step up, or keep getting drilled

Freakonomics had an interesting podcast on fandom.

You need to cultivate fans by winning. And winning creates its strongest impression on those in middle school.

So if you want a powerful donation base, you need to win big when someone is around 12-14 and sustain a competitive team until that person is a working adult with disposable income.

Essentially that means at least a decade of competitive football.

Greg was almost there, but left before the magic mark.

Now the clock won’t restart until we win another big game.

Again, we'll agree to disagree
We have potential $$ wise
It's up to us whether we want to donate or not
Man, not even the most rapid fanbases donate even close to what you are suggesting from individual donors and fans. I say that respectfully as well, but I promise you USC, Tenn, Ohio State, Norte Dame, pick a program do not get an average 5 figure donation from their fans.. that’s outer space thinking

Reactions: Jimpeg
Rutgers did not have a large rabid fan base before NIL. The state just does not care that much about Rutgers or college athletics no less semi pro athletics. While some with the financial wherewithal with embrace this new environment, I can't help but believe this is a significant net negative for us in any sport where it determines whether athletes choose your school or stay after reaching a certain proficiency. I think Schiano's job is much more difficult this time around as a result. Without further reform I would be prepared for more drillings.

Man, not even the most rapid fanbases donate even close to what you are suggesting from individual donors and fans. I say that respectfully as well, but I promise you USC, Tenn, Ohio State, Norte Dame, pick a program do not get an average 5 figure donation from their fans.. that’s outer space thinking
Agree that I’m outlier in this regard and most schools will be fortunate enough to get people to donate four figures.

However, the potential is there for us to get a sizable number of alumni, casual fans and big business people given the tri-state area.

And businesses as well because of the proximity to the tri-state area.

Do I think it can be done.. yea. Do I think it will be done? I honestly do not because I do not feel that the school is all in and I do not think that people care enough as a whole

still, it is one of my passions and something I truly believe it, which is why I make the sacrifices.

If others don’t believe in the same thing that’s OK, that is their prerogative and I will never shame them.

However, I find it quite hypocritical that they would come on this board and constantly complain as it is clearly outlined what we need to do to not get drilled any longer

NIL is just a newer version of what always already existing … big donors creating facilities, coaches buyouts and salaries, bag men, taking care of the parents, fancy cars and chains … all of that existed before NIL and created the exact same dynamic. Nothing is going to drastically change in college athletics world order with NIL other than it is more obvious and public who’s paying the big bucks. The same programs who didn’t have an endless pool of money before , still won’t now.

the transfer portal is the game changer to the landscape becusse that is completely unregulated and invites tampering .

Reactions: NickRU714
Maybe Geo can fund our NIL program from his career as a Venture Capitalist

Maybe Geo can fund our NIL program from his career as a Venture Capitalist
Geos already doing his part starting the collective

Without guys like Geo, the Rac is still getting 4K per night and the 30 year ncaa drought is still going strong

He’s done more than 99 % to help the school, and continues to do so post playing days

NIL is just a newer version of what always already existing … big donors creating facilities, coaches buyouts and salaries, bag men, taking care of the parents, fancy cars and chains … all of that existed before NIL and created the exact same dynamic. Nothing is going to drastically change in college athletics world order with NIL other than it is more obvious and public who’s paying the big bucks. The same programs who didn’t have an endless pool of money before , still won’t now.

the transfer portal is the game changer to the landscape becusse that is completely unregulated and invites tampering .
Exactly
Agsin, NIL was going on before NIL
Now it’s out in the open and technically legal

I'm not going to sacrifice what I consider essentials
Mortgage, groceries, 401k's, 529 for my child, church offering, etc.

How we've done it is made a spreadsheet, and cut down on some other things
Less going out to eat, a few less Starbucks per month, booking vacations in advance. bargain shopping for flights, etc.

It's been a commitment, but it's something I believe in
OMG, I had this exact conversation with someone last night. We consider whatever we give to RU athletics as part of our leisure/entertainment budget. That keeps us from being irresponsible, but still allows us to do SOMETHING (albeit not much in the big picture). With the advent of NIL, we'll have to move some things around, but I have no problem with fewer nights out in the city or whatever else because a winning RU rates high on our entertainment list.

Last edited:
OMG, I had this exact conversation with someone last night. We consider whatever we give to RU athletics as part of our leisure/entertainment budget. That keeps us from being irresponsible, but still allows us to do SOMETHING (albeit not much in the big picture). With the advent of NIL, we'll have to move some things around, but I have no problem with fewer nights out in the city or whatever else because a winning RU is rates high on entertainment list.
Yep
It’s all about prioritres
We’re far from wealthy - just make it a priority to attempt to see Rutgers successful
Simple as that

Reactions: KevH
Fans need to stop waiting for the Whale donor to come save the day. just put in $25-50 per month into a NIL. Something is better than nothing.

Reactions: KevH
nmuvgiC.jpg

contribute what you can..if you don't feel its within the budget thats fine... I do recall people saying Rutgers would be in the upper tier for NIL because of proximity to NYC...which of course was nonsensical...
Most RU NIL deals are for county or regional businesses, local restaurant chains, etc...

Nothing against Jersey MIkes, (i like the subs), but if we couldn't get a fortune 50 brand recognized company to put their name on the arena or the staduim, that also shows the demand for individual RU players.

Still surprised that Wawa doesnt have signage in the stadium...

And another thing. I’m getting really tired of the NIL drum being beaten after every loss. Our issues are far beyond NIL and very fixable without any NIL. We’re not talking about becoming Clemson over night as the current target state. We’re aiming to be mediocre. A stable quality program should be achievable in this current environment with minimal NIL. Heck , even MD recruited with the big dogs for a few years in a row with crappy coaches and just some newer facilities and a terrible fan base support for football. And now they’re bowling consistently and scratching at the top 25 door for most of this season.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Why not? Do you want to honedtly think we’re going to compete with the big boys if we don’t start donating to NIL? Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts about our future prospects If we keep doing what we’re doing

You seriously think browbeating some of the most loyal fans on a message board is effective? Really?

Reactions: Knight Shift
And another thing. I’m getting really tired of the NIL drum being beaten after every loss. Our issues are far beyond NIL and very fixable without any NIL. We’re not talking about becoming Clemson over night as the current target state. We’re aiming to be mediocre. A stable quality program should be achievable in this current environment with minimal NIL. Heck , even MD recruited with the big dogs for a few years in a row with crappy coaches and just some newer facilities and a terrible fan base support for football. And now they’re bowling consistently and scratching at the top 25 door for most of this season.
I’ve been beating this drum long before we started losing.

You guys can deny it all you want, but it’s not a fact that NIL is not going away and that we need to step up if we hope to compete.

Again if we don’t want to even remotely compete With the big boys, and are cool with just cashing big time checks every year,and we are OK with getting literally smoked by the big boys, and even those pedestrian ones like Minnesota, then continue not to donate.

Get used to a steady stream of sub 500 and borderline 500 seasons, and a good mix of either no bowls/blowouts,, or a fascinating collection of pinstripe/quick lane type of combination

You seriously think browbeating some of the most loyal fans on a message board is effective? Really?
Browbeating? I’m speaking fax Spank

if you guys don’t wanna hear facts then don’t read the post.

If these are the most loyal fans, which being that we’re on a message board I assume we are, then theoretically they should be the ones who are donating, or who are at least considering donating instead of downplaying it and in your case, almost laughing it off

And this is exactly the type of response you get when you do this:
And I’m getting really tired of getting our asses kicked on a weekly basis. If it means beating the NIL drum to at least remain someone competitive, that I’m more than willing to do that. But continuous blowouts are not something I look forward to, and is getting really ****ing old

Agreed!
Free agent, no sit our rules, unregulated, poaching portal is the major difference and problem.
Traveling to and watching a post season bowl game is the reward for a donating fanbase.
You only had to be in Arizona in 2005 to to see the incredible crowd and excitement our fanbase experienced.
Players opting out of bowls is a major issue imo

Reactions: TM94goRU
Yes, browbeating. As @ScarletKid2008 states, after every loss we're getting criticized as if that loss is a direct result of the most loyal fans here not contributing to NIL.

More importantly, aren’t you a moderator?

Serious question, what other big time program as a moderator on the rivals message board that’s legitimately clowning on NIL?

It almost makes me think that as a moderator, you are completely OK with us getting our asses kicked, and truthfully, it makes me only question your fandom, but while you’re moderator to begin with.

If your sole purpose is to tell us how you like to grill in the winter time and show the occasional picture of your willow trees and said grilling device, that’s fine.

But for those of us who take football seriously and are legitimately concerned about winning, and more importantly remaining competitive, Then step aside and let those of us who are concerned about raising money raise the money for the sake of the program, as opposed to being more concerned with grilling recipies and winter time London broil

• Wow
Reactions: Jimpeg
Jaydog, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but use some logic here. Wasn't Wimsatt given NIL money/deals as part of him leaving high school a year early to come here? Is he throwing to the other team unless we increase his payouts or something? Do our players take stupid penalties in the worst moments of the game because they aren't getting paid enough? So how was last night's loss all due to our fans not spending all their disposable income on disposable players?

Jaydog, I appreciate the enthusiasm, but use some logic here. Wasn't Wimsatt given NIL money/deals as part of him leaving high school a year early to come here? Is he throwing to the other team unless we increase his payouts or something? Do our players take stupid penalties in the worst moments of the game because they aren't getting paid enough? So how was last night's loss all due to our fans not spending all their disposable income on disposable players?
NIL only became legal recently, however it was going on long before that. My fear is that last night will continue to become a reality, if not worse if we don’t collectively step up to NIO. I don’t expect us to be at the level of a Michigan or an Ohio State, but given our proximity to the tri-state area and our affiliation with the Big Ten, I do expect us to put forth more of an effort and we have. Do I ever think that we will compete with them and beat them on a regular basis? No, the part of being a fan is having a hope. And in the current climate, with the NIL landscape having forever changed the game, I hope it’s quickly fading

Is Minn, Iowa, Maryland, Illinois drumming up NIL dollars anymore than we have or are? I’m pretty confident they are equal to or below what RU is doing in NIL for football.

what about Syracuse ? Who ran neck to neck with Clemson - as much as I hate Syracuse. And we BEAT them last year.

NIL is not why we stink right now. It’s the QB position and it has been. And that’s where we’ve actually used NIL to our advantage so far.

Is Minn, Iowa, Maryland, Illinois drumming up NIL dollars anymore than we have or are? I’m pretty confident they are equal to or below what RU is doing in NIL for football.

what about Syracuse ? Who ran neck to neck with Clemson - as much as I hate Syracuse. And we BEAT them last year.

NIL is not why we stink right now. It’s the QB position and it has been. And that’s where we’ve actually used NIL to our advantage so far.
It’s not so much about now, as it is in the future. I think about where we will be in five years versus some of the blue bloods or even some of the people who are currently drilling us. It’s about looking towards the future, and while taking our lives now is not completely correlated with it, it is certainly a precursor of what is the common, as the droppings will continue to get worse if we don’t do something ASAP

Listen everybody ... either we step up and convince the entire group of first team All-Americans to transfer to Rutgers via the portal, or we keep getting drilled. It's very simple. The choice is ours.

Reactions: Plum Street
I'm not a Rutgers guy, but am a fan of similar program. I can tell you that I have no plans to donate for NIL. And most people in areas like New Jersey aren't going to either. Alabama will always find people who feel like donating huge amounts of money to semi-professional sports programs is the right thing to do. New Jersey has far more wealth than Alabama, but the culture is not the same and there aren't going to be many, if any, who will feel that way about what to do with their disposable money.

Moreover, if that's what college sports has come to, I doubt my interest in it will last. I realize that it was not pure as the driven snow before NIL, but this is different for me.

Also, this is probably not something that may will agree with, but I expect some reforms to NIL in the near future. Bags of money provided by misguided (in my opinion) boosters is not even what representatives of players were asking for, as I see it. I believe it is here to stay, but will become more reasonable. Not even the LSU's and Ohio States of the world want a climate where there are only a dozen programs competing on anything close to a level playing field...

Your last sentence is completely wrong.

Both the Big 10 and SEC have zero interest in having any other teams competing on anything close to a level playing field.

If they did, then they would start with media revenue reform.
NIL isn't causing the uneven playing field.
It's 14 teams receiving $100m/year while "peer" P5 team are receiving less than $50m/year.

Listen everybody ... either we step up and convince the entire group of first team All-Americans to transfer to Rutgers via the portal, or we keep getting drilled. It's very simple. The choice is ours.
Lol yeah man
That’s exactly what we said
Keep giving Ungatz and watch us get drilled
Fun times

Are you worried MIchigan and Ohio State are going to steal all of RU's players?

Do you realize that Michigan's extent of NIL participation is on par with RUs? And they are not doing pay for play.
Lol, michigan has a YUGE nil fund going into this offseason.

I'd burn it first before I'd ever give it to an 18 year old who thinks a free college education, housing, meals, travel and the opportunity to play college athletics isn't enough compensation to play college sports.
Childish lol. Or broke, one of the two.

I HATE the concept of NIL. I think it should be made illegal. Im also not dumb enough to think that my ego takes precedents over facts. Facts are if you dont shoot the lock off your wallet then we will be a breeding ground for poachers

i lean towards it moreso you being broke. If not, $100/month should be pocket change

Childish lol. Or broke, one of the two.

I HATE the concept of NIL. I think it should be made illegal. Im also not dumb enough to think that my ego takes precedents over facts. Facts are if you dont shoot the lock off your wallet then we will be a breeding ground for poachers

i lean towards it moreso you being broke. If not, $100/month should be pocket change
Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of "I'd rather burn it." I could be Elon Musk and I'd still rather burn it than contribute to the destruction of intercollegiate athletics (and the educational opportunities of thousands of future potential college athletes). It's not the money, it's the principle.

I'd burn it first before I'd ever give it to an 18 year old who thinks a free college education, housing, meals, travel and the opportunity to play college athletics isn't enough compensation to play college sports.
Cool

Then don’t complain when we’re getting fist ****ed on national tv

Smile when Buckeye goes in dry

And enjoy our stadium getting taken over Northwestern style on the regular

Not my idea of fun, but everyone’s entitled to their opinion

Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of "I'd rather burn it." I could be Elon Musk and I'd still rather burn it than contribute to the destruction of intercollegiate athletics (and the educational opportunities of thousands of future potential college athletes). It's not the money, it's the principle.
Principle?

Coaches is making $10 million a year is built on principle?

Big Ten athletics and big time money is built on principle?

The hypocrisy your post is laughable at best.

Tell me you don’t donate because you don’t believe the kids should be making that type of money that is fine, but don’t insult our intelligence and tell me it’s based on principle.

Principal went out the window about 15 to 20 years ago on the ACC raided of the big east, And truthfully long before that college sports started becoming a pay for play.

Lol, michigan has a YUGE nil fund going into this offseason.
Bingo
It’s not new to them, it’s just now that it’s legal there’s certain aspects that have changed
If you (KN, not KYk) don’t think that they’ve been paying kids before hand and I paid kids in a different manner that it is legal, I honestly don’t know what to say
Venture outside of Piscataway for five minutes to a decent size college town with a remotely good football team historically, and you will see a stark difference and how things operate

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT