ADVERTISEMENT

NIL - We either step up, or keep getting drilled

Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of "I'd rather burn it." I could be Elon Musk and I'd still rather burn it than contribute to the destruction of intercollegiate athletics (and the educational opportunities of thousands of future potential college athletes). It's not the money, it's the principle.
Congrats hero. Your ego, which you are calling principle is so so brave. Hero.

Oh good. This thread again.
Oh good, people that are concerned about the future of our football team rather than being cool with getting smoked by anybody with a pulse. Yes it’s the same thread, and yes, you don’t have to read it.
And most importantly, it is the way of the future in college football and not going away anytime soon, if ever. The truth hurts, and I sincerely hope that we can start doing it into at least remotely compete in the future college football

Apparently you're not familiar with the concept of "I'd rather burn it." I could be Elon Musk and I'd still rather burn it than contribute to the destruction of intercollegiate athletics (and the educational opportunities of thousands of future potential college athletes). It's not the money, it's the principle.

So donor money paying for country club memberships, cars and clothes for coaches are good expenses for intercollegiate athletics?

I'm trying to understand the principle that paying athletes is fine to a limit, but paying coaches appears to not have a limit.

Or are you against other expenses ruining collegiate athletics?

And that's fair
Some fans have no interest in NIL

I understand and respect that
It's an individual choice that some will never be on board with

Also agree that reforms need to, and will eventually come
Right now it's the wild west - not good short or long term for the sport
I think we should start forcing STH to pay 1000$/year into NIL. That’s what about 250k/year? They can afford it. They live in Jersey and have plenty of disposable income. If they don’t have the income oh we’ll just skip a few trips to Shoprite during the year or lose your seats

So donor money paying for country club memberships, cars and clothes for coaches are good expenses for intercollegiate athletics?

I'm trying to understand the principle that paying athletes is fine to a limit, but paying coaches appears to not have a limit.

Or are you against other expenses ruining collegiate athletics?
I am all for paying athletes when you put it this way. But riddle me this. Who pays them? Why does the university pay the coach, but the fans have to pony up for the players? If the argument is that the NCAA is making billions off of these players, so they should be paid, I agree. But shouldn't they be paid with those billions? The fact that fans are expected to foot the bill after paying for tickets and parking and the cable bill that pays the cable contracts, is really absurd.

I think we should start forcing STH to pay 1000$/year into NIL. That’s what about 250k/year? They can afford it. They live in Jersey and have plenty of disposable income. If they don’t have the income oh we’ll just skip a few trips to Shoprite during the year or lose your seats
Two seperate buckets Moose

Already said how I do it which isn’t skipping mortgages groceries etc

Not full proof but working out so far

Reactions: RUaMoose
Two seperate buckets Moose

Already said how I do it which isn’t skipping mortgages groceries etc

Not full proof but working out so far
Fans can make due with 3 trips per month to Shoprite instead of 4. That a 100$ savings or so per month. Put that savings into NIL so maybe we can go 7-5 if things work out.

Fans can make due with 3 trips per month to Shoprite instead of 4. That a 100$ savings or so per month. Put that savings into NIL so maybe we can go 7-5 if things work out.
Not sure if serious. Are you really asking people to not buy groceries so they can donate to college athletes? An argument can be made, but this is just ridiculous.

Reactions: tomatocan
I am all for paying athletes when you put it this way. But riddle me this. Who pays them? Why does the university pay the coach, but the fans have to pony up for the players? If the argument is that the NCAA is making billions off of these players, so they should be paid, I agree. But shouldn't they be paid with those billions? The fact that fans are expected to foot the bill after paying for tickets and parking and the cable bill that pays the cable contracts, is really absurd.

Agreed.

Its because the Athletic Departments are drunk on money (conference revenue and direct donor money) and can't be expected to spend responsibly.

So instead of being fiscally responsible and having to get their own houses in order, ADs are passing the expense off to donors directly.

How many times has it been said "well the AD can't afford any additional expense going to athletes".
Really? When making $100m/year?
Where exactly is all that money going?

And the school doesn't just pay the coach.
Even that they beg donors to contribute.

How many "we need to raise funds for Coach X buyout" or "we need to raise funds for Coach Y extension or he'll leave" situations happen?

Well, I mean we have to have a mile-long tunnel with flashing lights and a locker room that's nicer than any room in my house and a drone show and red flashing lights for the 5 TDs we score per season.

Reactions: rurichdog
Yet somehow my ego managed not to start my 200th thread advocating for something which everyone knows IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
Yeah dude - ego
I genuinely care about how Rutgers does
The losing is awful and the winning is addictive
If you’d like to classify that as ego, go for it
I’m here for results - which under the current way of doing things, sucks donkey nuts

I received many negative quotes for coming out against NIL and accurately posting what pay for play would mean in the earlier threads. Now feel free to keep these threads coming, but you can't get blood from a stone. There are problems coming, that have not arrived yet. For starters this pay for play just gives you a chance, for Rutgers realistically a small chance.

The powers that be need to at minimum, find other Geo's. Former Rutgers players that used the exposure and degree to make 💰 💰 💰. I would consider this a prerequisite, to beg fan's for even more. Next we are at a crossroads.

Many of these threads have been posted, and we have not corrected it. Time to try something different. I think there should be a "product line" whose proceeds go to NIL. With the holiday season I believe we could move the needle. After all there are fan's that don't want to budget money to players, but would certainly buy Rutgers apparel/gear. Lastly our more affluent fans/ athletes ( past or present ) must recruit money donor's.

Or just be prepared to play at a lower level, if at all. It is not just the blue bloods who will be shopping this off-season. Just check how many millions Liberty put into it's football program.

nmuvgiC.jpg
I feel the same way every time we send visiting B1G fans home happy, singing their fight songs, in our house.

I feel the same way every time we send visiting B1G fans home happy, singing their fight songs, in our house.

And I feel the same way when I'm sitting in the season ticket section and it's inundated with opposing fans because RU season ticket holders decided to make a quick buck.

That’s the spirit. Keep your head in the stand while the Team get’s it arse kicked again and again.
This entire line of logic makes no sense and isn't even true. My head isn't in the sand. I know what's coming and that we can't compete. But I refuse to put a football team ahead of my family. That's right, I'm being that guy. If it's one dinner out with my wife, one Christmas present for my kids, or one extra night of family vacation, it's more valuable to me than a 4 star QB coming to Rutgers.
Look, I've been going to pretty much every home game since 1996. I am compeltely used to losing. I know the deal. I tailgate with friends and have a blast, and then we watch some bad football before returning home to our families. THat's what we sign up for. Any winning is just gravy.

I don’t think they legally can do this. It’s not a bad idea but I thought the NIL funds had to be separate from the university funds and situations like this cause a blurry line of what’s acceptable and not.

I agree we need to do something though. Mich, Ohio State, Penn State, etc are all putting out $10 million plus a year in NIL funds. And before people start saying we shouldn’t compare ourselves to them, we’re in the same friggan division. If you wanna get to the level we all want we have to start closing the gap on those teams.

I realize this is a joke, but the AD is already forcing STH to pay $1,000/year (and even more, right?) in "extra money" just for the privilege of buying ST and parking.

The irony of others saying "I'm not putting one dollar towards a football player that could go to my family" is very funny when they gladly throw that money to the AD instead of putting it towards their family.

This entire line of logic makes no sense and isn't even true. My head isn't in the sand. I know what's coming and that we can't compete. But I refuse to put a football team ahead of my family. That's right, I'm being that guy. If it's one dinner out with my wife, one Christmas present for my kids, or one extra night of family vacation, it's more valuable to me than a 4 star QB coming to Rutgers.
Look, I've been going to pretty much every home game since 1996. I am compeltely used to losing. I know the deal. I tailgate with friends and have a blast, and then we watch some bad football before returning home to our families. THat's what we sign up for. Any winning is just gravy.
I respect that Mike
No flame - you're a solid poster and haven't come on here complainig that we're losing

Everyone has different priorities in life
Some don't believe in NIL, and don't see winning as hugely important

I understand and respect that
different strokes for different folks, that's what makes the world go around

Aside from God, my family, and a few close friends, sports is a huge part of my life
I live it, and having a winning team is important to me

I've seen first hand what a winning program is like with FSU
To me, it's addictive and a feeling like almost no other

I'm eternally hopeful that Rutgers can get to that level, and truly believe in my heart that we can
I also believe in NIL and feel it's long overdue (not in its current itieration as it's not good right now for the sport)

Maybe Rutgers can get to an elite level
If not in FB, then in wrestling, bball, lacrosse, etc.

That's my hope, and that's why I donate to NIL
Nothing more, nothing less

Does anyone know anything about WHERE the money comes from for these organizations with big NIL money?

Is it mostly businesses? Corporate partners? Hotels and restaurants and store owners in towns that directly benefit? How much actually comes from your average fan that continually gets called out in these threads?

To me, my gut says this just reveals another disadvantage for Rutgers. NJ and the New Brunswick/Piscataway area has a dynamic economy not tied at all to the success of Rutgers sports teams in any real way.

If Rutgers made a portal where fans could check to see the support level of stores and restaurants and hotels in the region before going shopping, placing an order, making a reservation.. it wouldn't matter one bit. In fact, I'd guess that such a "device" would result in NJ.com having an article calling out the creation of such a page and encouraging all the non-Rutgers fans to boycott businesses that supported Rutgers NIL orgs.

This is imaginable in jersey, right? Well, there are many college towns and states where that would be unimaginable.

I notice a lot of the same names who complain about NIL also complain about poor performance and recruiting 😂

I notice a lot of the same names who complain about NIL also complain about poor performance and recruiting 😂

And there's nothing wrong with that... The two complaints aren't mutually exclusive. People can obviously state their unhappiness about a problem, without having to agree with every potential solution to that problem... (Exhibit A: See the CE board..)

Not sure if serious. Are you really asking people to not buy groceries so they can donate to college athletes? An argument can be made, but this is just ridiculous.
Bingo
Some outlier wacko ideas out there.

Bingo
Some outlier wacko ideas out there.
I think OP's insulting plea comes down to this... help Rutgers outspend teams that out-recruited us in the past so that they might be good enough for him to enjoy the games.

JayDogSmooth should make teh case to corporations and businesses as to why it is in THEIR best interests to fund Rutgers athletes' NIL deals. That is untapped here and is well-tapped among all our competitors (I imagine).. whales also. He cannot make that case, so he focuses on average fans. That's going to go nowhere.. not because fans are "cheap".. but because New Jersey is an expensive place to live and it is getting more costly to do so.

The money has to come from some other place. He should get on that. His efforts and methods here will yield the opposite result.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Are you worried MIchigan and Ohio State are going to steal all of RU's players?

Do you realize that Michigan's extent of NIL participation is on par with RUs? And they are not doing pay for play.
Elite schools like Michigan,Ohio State and Penn State excelled in recruiting prior to NIL and will continue to attract top tier players.Its schools like Rutgers who always are in catch up mode and the NIL is just the latest obstacle.

Elite schools like Michigan,Ohio State and Penn State excelled in recruiting prior to NIL and will continue to attract top tier players.Its schools like Rutgers who always are in catch up mode and the NIL is just the latest obstacle.
It's an impossible obstacle to overcome when a team like Texas is paying every offensive lineman on its roster $60k annually. I know we have very lucrative t-shirt and NFT businesses at Rutgers, but we're still at a disadvantage.

It's an impossible obstacle to overcome when a team like Texas is paying every offensive lineman on its roster $60k annually. I know we have very lucrative t-shirt and NFT businesses at Rutgers, but we're still at a disadvantage.
Good enough for 3rd place in the Big XII. And I'm sure they'll just run roughshod over the SEC...

So we need at least 10K season ticket holders/fans to pay $1K per year to NIL. Will that $10M per year be competitive?

I think OP's insulting plea comes down to this... help Rutgers outspend teams that out-recruited us in the past so that they might be good enough for him to enjoy the games.

JayDogSmooth should make teh case to corporations and businesses as to why it is in THEIR best interests to fund Rutgers athletes' NIL deals. That is untapped here and is well-tapped among all our competitors (I imagine).. whales also. He cannot make that case, so he focuses on average fans. That's going to go nowhere.. not because fans are "cheap".. but because New Jersey is an expensive place to live and it is getting more costly to do so.

The money has to come from some other place. He should get on that. His efforts and methods here will yield the opposite result.
We’re on a message board man

If you consider me speaking the truth re the future ass kickings likely coming our way insulting, I honestly don’t know what to say

as I’ve said countless times, there are some who will never donate or do not believe in NIL.

And, I fully respect that and understand that point of vie

Likewise, there are some of us that are actually emotionally invested in how Rutgers does on the field.

For those of us that are and enjoy to see a winning / somewhat competitive product, I implore them to consider donating to NIL

It’s very simple - nothing more, nothing less.

Again, if me speaking the truth and asking people to consider donating is offensive, I honestly don’t know what to tell you

And there's nothing wrong with that... The two complaints aren't mutually exclusive. People can obviously state their unhappiness about a problem, without having to agree with every potential solution to that problem... (Exhibit A: See the CE board..)
If you complain about field performance and don’t participate in NIL (assuming you can financially) then you’re a moron imo.

Posting here IS NOT going to help. We are the proverbial "choir" my friend.
Disagree nuts, I think spreading the word everywhere is all that we can do.

I know you and I are kindred spirits and wish nothing but the best for the football team and all sports in general, and honestly I know no other way to spread the word and as many different forms as possible.

In the end it may not all work out,but it certainly won’t be for lack of enthusiasm and effort

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
If you complain about field performance and don’t participate in NIL (assuming you can financially) then you’re a moron imo.
I wouldn’t say they are morons, but you sew what you reap.

If it’s been laid out in many different ways as to what the possible recipe for success is, and you’re not willing to contribute to the success for whatever reason, and you come on here and bitch about the lack of success, then yes, you are directly contributing to the problem

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
as I’ve said countless times, there are some who will never donate or do not believe in NIL.

And, I fully respect that and understand that point of vie

Likewise, there are some of us that are actually emotionally invested in how Rutgers does on the field.

For those of us that are and enjoy to see a winning / somewhat competitive product, I implore them to consider donating to NIL
Your devotion to the cause is admirable, but to suggest that only people who support and donate their own money to NIL can actually be emotionally invested in how Rutgers does on the field is unfair and completely unwarranted. There are plenty of things we're all emotionally invested in, but we have choices as to what we choose to do, or not do, to promote those things, depending on our personal beliefs, values, ethics, needs, etc.... It's not as cut and dried as you make it out to be.

Why not? Do you want to honedtly think we’re going to compete with the big boys if we don’t start donating to NIL? Genuinely curious to hear your thoughts about our future prospects If we keep doing what we’re doing
Loyalty to some may mean donating to NIL because that is what this program needs. A class full of 3 stars this year with NIL being the the biggest reason we have not sniffed a 4 star. Last year and the year before we recruited better NIL was a non issue. Greg was able to recruit because that is what he does the best. Loyalty to some is just having an epic tailgate to others it’s donating to the cause and going to away games. The head coach has come out and asked for contributions but some know better. Post count is what real loyalty is lol.

ADVERTISEMENT