ADVERTISEMENT

NIT rule changes...yuck

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
These possible rule changes in effect for the NIT are absurd...absolutely hate and they better not be trying to change to quarters and eliminate the one and one

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.

The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:

• The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

These possible rule changes in effect for the NIT are absurd...absolutely hate and they better not be trying to change to quarters and eliminate the one and one

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.

The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:

• The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

Ugh. The only rule I can tolerate is the offensive rebound rule.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
the foul shot thing is ridiculous,,,the ruling with under 2 minutes...why?

there is literally nothing wrong with the current game as consituted, why they would mess around with it and the idea to go to quarters I hate...this isnt the NBA

one and ones are a huge part of strategy, what purpose does it serve to take it away

the foul shot thing is ridiculous,,,the ruling with under 2 minutes...why?

there is literally nothing wrong with the current game as consituted, why they would mess around with it and the idea to go to quarters I hate...this isnt the NBA

one and ones are a huge part of strategy, what purpose does it serve to take it away
Yeah this is ridiculous

Don't mind the 20 second time limit after an offensive rebound..

as a team that fouls a lot, the reset after each 10 minute period might be beneficial to us... we get
a clean slate after the 10 minute mark, a chance to start to play without sitting at 6 fouls early in the game as we often do, while the other team has like two

Reactions: Plum Street
YES

Move the 3 point line back !!!! Getting 3 points for a shot at just about the top of the key is ridiculous. It should be moved back even more...to match the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffro5 and kcg88
So they want every team to look like crap basically? Guess they don't care about the fans. Why don't they make a 4 point line while they're at it beyond the 3 since all they apparently care about is mad-sciencing college basketball.

This gives the NCAA a chance to look at a few suggested changes without committing long term. I don’t like the two minue foul thing
But all of the changes can be experimented without consequence

Better this rather than just forcing change

to make sense of it, if they institute the reset of fouls at the 10 minute mark, they might as well go to four 10 minute periods, like the women

not a fan of much anything proposed, but the 10 minute periods would be best if you go
with the foul proposal

----
Princeton would have loved it

It is stupid to get 3 points for a shot 20 feet away and 2 point for a shot 15 feet away.

College basketball is trending towards the unwatchable NBA with the 30 second shot clock. Half court offenses are all predicated on high screens. Just not enough time to do much else.

Move the line back - yes.

Shot clock is perfect where it is at 30 seconds. I dread the day they make it 24.

Reactions: Loyal-Son

* I'm OK with moving the 3-point line back and widening the lanes (though I think the wider lanes will change the inside game for a lot of teams, or result in more 3-second violations).

* I am OK with the 20-sec on an offensive rebound, but I think it will make it a lot harder for the clock operator and result in a lot of clock errors. Right now, the ball hits the rim and the clock resets to 30 seconds. Under the new rule, the clock operator needs to wait to see if the offense or defense gains possession before deciding whether to set the clock to 20 or 30. Especially for balls that get batted around, or if there is a defensive rebound followed by a quick steal, it is easy for the clock operator to get this wrong.

* I think the foul rule is really confusing. It would be cleaner to just go to 4 ten-minute quarters like in the women's game. But I don't like that either, since it eliminates the 1-1 after the 7th foul. (Though, since Rutgers is a poor foul-shooting team, the elimination of the 1-1 probably works to our advantage.)

Reactions: Scangg
Don't mind the 20 second time limit after an offensive rebound..

as a team that fouls a lot, the reset after each 10 minute period might be beneficial to us... we get
a clean slate after the 10 minute mark, a chance to start to play without sitting at 6 fouls early in the game as we often do, while the other team has like two

What if you get a second third or fourth offensive rebound does it go down to 10 , 5 and 2 1/2 seconds?

Stupid rule .... what’s next clown feet on at the 5 min mark?

Mo

Reactions: wheezer

I believe they experimented with most (if not all) of these last year as well. wonder why the re-try?

Hate the foul thing complication and gimmick. Stop f' in with the game.

Like the moving back of the 3 point line, that's about it.

The NBA is unwatchable to me, yes I know I am in the minority with the rest of the country. There is no emphasis on the inside game in the NBA, just guys chucking up 3 pointers all game long. I've pretty much accepted that college will become the NBA lite, which will kind of ruin it for me.

Like the moving back of the 3 point line, that's about it.

The NBA is unwatchable to me, yes I know I am in the minority with the rest of the country. There is no emphasis on the inside game in the NBA, just guys chucking up 3 pointers all game long. I've pretty much accepted that college will become the NBA lite, which will kind of ruin it for me.

College is pretty much already there. If you don't have consistent 3 Point shooters, your chances become more limited. This doesn't eliminate the inside game, but it does pretty much take away the need for mid-range jumpers and stresses the need for teams to have 4's and 5's who can make the 3 on their roster.

I completely disagree with the NCAA becoming a three point contest. You need inside scoring. Not everyone has Steph Curry. Come tournament time, possessions are valuable. You need easy buckets

I would be good with the foul line width changing. That may help us.
I do not want to see four quarters. Why ??

Love the rule changes mostly - indifferent on the fouls.
Don't like the lane width (actually would prefer the NBA shrink it).

In general, moving the rules to align with NBA is a good thing.
College Baseball doesn't play 7 innings.
College Football doesn't play 12min quarters of 7v7.

I've long thought that the differences between NBA and College rules plays a factor in college coaches excelling in the NBA - rules and dimensions impact the ability to design an offense/defense system.
It's just completely different sports.

3 pt line: Finally. Better prepares players for NBA and creates more space on the floor. More space = better basketball.

Shot clock: Not sure why everyone thinks this will be a logistical issue. Has worked perfectly so far this year in the NBA.

Hopefully they consider 24 soon in college.
Play the dam game and run an offense.
How many possessions involve just aimlessly passing the ball around 35ft from the hoop for 20 seconds?

Reactions: ATIOH
College is pretty much already there. If you don't have consistent 3 Point shooters, your chances become more limited. This doesn't eliminate the inside game, but it does pretty much take away the need for mid-range jumpers and stresses the need for teams to have 4's and 5's who can make the 3 on their roster.

I guess moving the 3 point line backwards is supposed to help reduce reliance on the 3-point shot. And I guess widening the lane is supposed to move the big guys further from the basket, relieving crowding under the basket. In theory this should increase the number of mid-range shots we see.

I completely disagree with the NCAA becoming a three point contest. You need inside scoring. Not everyone has Steph Curry. Come tournament time, possessions are valuable. You need easy buckets

Moving the 3pt line out actually creates more usable space between 3pt line and the basket.
Defenders are further away and less able to down team down.

Reactions: PaKnight
Hopefully they consider 24 soon in college.
Play the dam game and run an offense.
How many possessions involve just aimlessly passing the ball around 35ft from the hoop for 20 seconds?

The longer shot clock in college provides more strategy in having the offense break down a defense. A shorter shot clock means your offense has to rely on run and chuck.

I guess moving the 3 point line backwards is supposed to help reduce reliance on the 3-point shot. And I guess widening the lane is supposed to move the big guys further from the basket, relieving crowding under the basket. In theory this should increase the number of mid-range shots we see.

The lane width is tricky.
Like you said, wider lane means more space to move bigs out from the basket. Think this would help drives to the hoop and not necessarily mid range shots.
Big defenders will have to move further to double team or help.

But smaller lane means more space in the "mid range" area since the bigs just naturally fall back to lane - regardless of width.

The lane width is tricky.
Like you said, wider lane means more space to move bigs out from the basket. Think this would help drives to the hoop and not necessarily mid range shots.
Big defenders will have to move further to double team or help.

But smaller lane means more space in the "mid range" area since the bigs just naturally fall back to lane - regardless of width.

Good point.

The longer shot clock in college provides more strategy in having the offense break down a defense. A shorter shot clock means your offense has to rely on run and chuck.

In theory.

In practice, how many teams are actually initiating their "offense" with 25 seconds on the clock?
And if you need to run multiple plays in order to get a shot - reward the defense and give them the ball back.

Everyone also loves good defense and hates offense - well then force the offense to run a play and take a shot.

Could you imagine guys like Shaq Doorson running up and down the floor with a 24 second shot clock? Would have to sub all the big men on every other possession.

The big men would be phased out. I don't think that is a good thing for student athletes

Could you imagine guys like Shaq Doorson running up and down the floor with a 24 second shot clock? Would have to sub all the big men on every other possession.

The big men would be phased out. I don't think that is a good thing for student athletes

If SHAQ O'Neil could do it with a 24 second clock then Shaq Doorson should be able to or he should not be playing BB.

Fair enough. Still think it would have a big effect on the post game along with widening of the lane. Entry passes into the post would lessen, it takes to long to set up and college post players don't have the skills of a Shaquille O'Neal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT