ADVERTISEMENT

NIT rule changes...yuck

Offense no longer on 2 axis. Not enough time to reverse and go inside and out in a single possession.

Really not liking what college basketball has become. Watch a game from 20 years ago and you will see a big difference.

These possible rule changes in effect for the NIT are absurd...absolutely hate and they better not be trying to change to quarters and eliminate the one and one

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.

The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:

• The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.
I love the three-point line change and widening the lane.

NCAA started running the NIT a few years ago.

The wisdom or stupidity of the changes can be debated. Springing the changes on players to whom these games are no doubt important is dumb as sht. Is this how you distinguish yourself?

These possible rule changes in effect for the NIT are absurd...absolutely hate and they better not be trying to change to quarters and eliminate the one and one

The NIT continues to experiment with rules in its tournament. Some changes in the NIT have eventually seeped its way into the mainstream of college basketball, such as the 30-second shot clock and four-foot restricted-area arc.

The NCAA playing rules process operates on two-year cycles, rule changes can be approved this May, and could be in effect for next season. There will be four rule modifications for the 2019 tournament:

• The 3-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot, 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet, 1.75 inches).
  • The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
  • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
  • Team fouls will reset at the 10-minute mark of each half for the purpose of determining free throws and one-and-one free throws will be eliminated. Teams will shoot two bonus free throws after the fifth team foul of each 10-minute segment. Additionally, teams will be awarded two bonus free throws after the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining in each half if that foul occurs before the fifth team foul of the segment. In each overtime period, team fouls will reset, and teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fourth team foul or the second team foul committed under two minutes remaining if that comes before the fourth team foul of the overtime period.

Thanks for posting. I like the 3-point line being extended, but by only a foot or so. College basketball players, on average, are not nearly as good at shooting threes as pros (there's a reason why 98% of college players don't make the NBA), so I wouldn't move the line too far back, but a little makes sense to me.

I'd like to see how the wider lane works in the NIT - maybe it opens up spacing and more passing.

I'm neutral on the clock reset rule change.

I don't like the new foul rules. The one-and-one is a time-honored college basketball tradition that creates great drama and strategy in college hoops at the end of games. Don't eff with that.

The wisdom or stupidity of the changes can be debated. Springing the changes on players to whom these games are no doubt important is dumb as sht. Is this how you distinguish yourself?
It's not about distinguishing the NIT. Since the NCAA took over the tournament, the NIT has become its laboratory for testing potential rule changes.

I think this is the second consecutive year the NIT has gone with a wider lane.

It's not about distinguishing the NIT. Since the NCAA took over the tournament, the NIT has become its laboratory for testing potential rule changes.

I think this is the second consecutive year the NIT has gone with a wider lane.
But the point remains that this is unfair to teams that progressed through the season under one set of rules, only to be potentially hobbled in the postseason by a different set of rules.

The NCAA is telling NIT teams that their postseason doesn't matter. They're just guinea pigs .

Love the rule changes mostly - indifferent on the fouls.
Don't like the lane width (actually would prefer the NBA shrink it).

In general, moving the rules to align with NBA is a good thing.
College Baseball doesn't play 7 innings.
College Football doesn't play 12min quarters of 7v7.

I've long thought that the differences between NBA and College rules plays a factor in college coaches excelling in the NBA - rules and dimensions impact the ability to design an offense/defense system.
It's just completely different sports.

3 pt line: Finally. Better prepares players for NBA and creates more space on the floor. More space = better basketball.

Shot clock: Not sure why everyone thinks this will be a logistical issue. Has worked perfectly so far this year in the NBA.

Hopefully they consider 24 soon in college.
Play the dam game and run an offense.
How many possessions involve just aimlessly passing the ball around 35ft from the hoop for 20 seconds?
Thanks. You just listed all the reasons why I won't watch the NBA.

The NBA 3 pt line is measured from the center of the basket but it isn't a true arc because it starts 14 feet from the base line
and leaves 3 feet in each corner to shoot the 3 at a shorter distance. http://marcusredden.com/pict/

The NCAA 3 pt line is measured differently and is closer to a true arc with only 51 inches in the sideline corners.
https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017MBBWBB_NCAA_Basketball_Court_Diagram_20170622.pdf

So with moving the 3 pt line out will it remain more of a true arc or allow shooting from a shorter distance like the NBA??
Guess we'll see this week.

But the point remains that this is unfair to teams that progressed through the season under one set of rules, only to be potentially hobbled in the postseason by a different set of rules.

The NCAA is telling NIT teams that their postseason doesn't matter. They're just guinea pigs .
Well, I guess they could turn down the invitation if they felt strongly about it.

Reactions: PaKnight
Today I was at a workout and noticed that they used some blue painter's tape to reflect the international three-point line distance. The same three-point distanced used in the NIT and, earlier this month the NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed using.

Based on what I was told today, this proposed rule change is going to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5. If that is true the rule would be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Division II and Division III would implement the change the following season due to cost.

I was also told that the Women are against moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance so there will, once again, be two three-point lines (of different colors) on basketball courts in college arenas. As far as the other proposed rule changes, the coach I spoke with expressed concern that the proposal to reset the shot clock to 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court may pass.

Like the moving back of the 3 point line, that's about it.

The NBA is unwatchable to me, yes I know I am in the minority with the rest of the country. There is no emphasis on the inside game in the NBA, just guys chucking up 3 pointers all game long. I've pretty much accepted that college will become the NBA lite, which will kind of ruin it for me.

The NBA is unwatchable for a lot of people.

Recruiting foul shooters will be as important as 3 pointers with the elimination of the one and one foul shot and replacement with two foul shots.

Today I was at a workout and noticed that they used some blue painter's tape to reflect the international three-point line distance. The same three-point distanced used in the NIT and, earlier this month the NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee proposed using.

Based on what I was told today, this proposed rule change is going to be approved by the Playing Rules Oversight Panel on June 5. If that is true the rule would be effective for the 2019-20 season in Division I. Division II and Division III would implement the change the following season due to cost.

I was also told that the Women are against moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance so there will, once again, be two three-point lines (of different colors) on basketball courts in college arenas. As far as the other proposed rule changes, the coach I spoke with expressed concern that the proposal to reset the shot clock to 20 seconds after a field goal attempt hits the rim and the offensive team rebounds the ball in the front court may pass.

Interesting

I really think they should wait two years before implementing...give all programs a chance to adjust how they recruit for the rules changes

Doubt that will happen

Interesting

I really think they should wait two years before implementing...give all programs a chance to adjust how they recruit for the rules changes

Doubt that will happen
The reason the Division II and Division III implementation will be later is due to the expense of adding the line to their courts. I have zero idea how expensive it is to do something like that but some of the lower division programs have very small/tight budgets.

The person I spoke with yesterday said that they were already scheduled to have their practice gym court resurfaced in August while they are on an international trip. All they have to do is inform their contractor about the new three-point line.

The reason the Division II and Division III implementation will be later is due to the expense of adding the line to their courts. I have zero idea how expensive it is to do something like that but some of the lower division programs have very small/tight budgets.

The person I spoke with yesterday said that they were already scheduled to have their practice gym court resurfaced in August while they are on an international trip. All they have to do is inform their contractor about the new three-point line.

Hopefully, RU has not finished painting their new practice court.

Penalize a team for an offensive rebound. Stupid.
Its not really a penalization. The offense only usually uses 20 seconds of the shot clock to run their offense with the first 10 being used to bring the ball up the court and make the first pass into the offense. Those extra 10 seconds are unnecessary on an offensive rebound. It will add to the game action, which is a plus.

Reactions: PaKnight
Its not really a penalization. The offense only usually uses 20 seconds of the shot clock to run their offense with the first 10 being used to bring the ball up the court and make the first pass into the offense. Those extra 10 seconds are unnecessary on an offensive rebound. It will add to the game action, which is a plus.
Well, it is actually a penalty. First, you are relieving the team that didn't get the offensive rebound of having to play defense for possibly another full 30 seconds, which can be demoralizing and frustrating, and, second, you are not allowing the team who got the rebound to increase their time of possession and reduce the other team's time of possession.

I thought everyone prefers defense in college basketball?

If the defense forces a missed shot but doesn't get the rebound they still get a limited benefit - shortened shot clock.

Suprising how many college basketball fans are "offense first".

Since we are dealing with "adult" bodies by the time they get to college, why not use a court that the pros use? I think it would not only make the game more challenging, it would also show the talents the pro scouts are looking for.

Since we are dealing with "adult" bodies by the time they get to college, why not use a court that the pros use? I think it would not only make the game more challenging, it would also show the talents the pro scouts are looking for.
I asked about widening the lane and was told "they'll never do that." I found the his answer quite surprising because it was so definitive.

However I don't think that's one of the proposed rule changes this time around.

Well, it is actually a penalty. First, you are relieving the team that didn't get the offensive rebound of having to play defense for possibly another full 30 seconds, which can be demoralizing and frustrating, and, second, you are not allowing the team who got the rebound to increase their time of possession and reduce the other team's time of possession.
No, the current rules penalize the defensive team disproportionately. As I stated, half court possessions are really only 20 seconds, having the defense play an additional 30 seconds of defense because of an offensive rebound gives a disproportionate advantage. Just because the rule has given that disproportionate advantage for a very long time doesn’t mean it’s not worth exploring an alternative. The 20 second shot clock on offensive rebounds will also lead to quicker pace and players having to make quicker instinctive decisions.

So Russ, what are they doing with the 3 pt line at the corners of the court.
Currently NCAA has 51 inches in the corner and NBA has 36 inches in the corners.
https://sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/nba-basketball-court-dimensions.html
https://sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/mens-college-basketball-court-dimensions.html

So Russ, what are they doing with the 3 pt line at the corners of the court.
Currently NCAA has 51 inches in the corner and NBA has 36 inches in the corners.
https://sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/nba-basketball-court-dimensions.html
https://sportsknowhow.com/basketball/dimensions/mens-college-basketball-court-dimensions.html
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll attempt to answer it nonetheless.

The international three-point distance in the corners (21.65 ft) is almost identical to the NBA distance in the corners (22 ft).

I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll attempt to answer it nonetheless.

The international three-point distance in the corners (21.65 ft) is almost identical to the NBA distance in the corners (22 ft).
It looks like the NBA begins the arc at 14 ft from the base line so that they have 3ft from the side line to shoot the 3.
So if the NCAA increases the arc 20 inches will they begin the arc a certain number of feet from the baseline to not reduce the corner shot
from 51 inches to minimum 31 inches. Best if you view both links that I included.

It looks like the NBA begins the arc at 14 ft from the base line so that they have 3ft from the side line to shoot the 3.
So if the NCAA increases the arc 20 inches will they begin the arc a certain number of feet from the baseline to not reduce the corner shot
from 51 inches to minimum 31 inches. Best if you view both links that I included.
Yes.

Just like on a FIBA or an Olympic basketball court (after 2010). The exception being that international basketball courts are not as long or as wide as American basketball courts

How many possessions involve just aimlessly passing the ball around 35ft from the hoop for 20 seconds?

That's basically college basketball zone offense today. Then someone throws up a 3.
Maybe pushing the line out farther will force offenses to try and get the ball inside. Not for nothing but over here even MS age kids use the FIBA 3 point line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT