ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball No. 3 Miami sweeps Rutgers Baseball

Miami fan here, I believe this is the last time we're playing for the forseeable future, because I know Miami opens with USC next year

Reactions: RUonBrain
We have years of evidence/data that playing Miami does not make us battle tested and ready for conference play. We leave with our tail between our legs and a battered pitching staff. We are not ready to compete against a Florida-based powerhouse when we arrive from cold weather NJ. We should be playing other northern teams at neutral Florida sites. Florida Atlantic, coached by NJ native Kevin Cooney for many years, beat us up, too, with far less talent on their roster than Miami. Thinking you will benefit from playing Miami is straight out of Chip Hilton novels.

Again, it did not hurt Fred Hill's teams to go play the likes of Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and others on the road every year when he had competitive teams. Did he win a lot of those games? No but it certainly did not hurt them when it came time to assess each teams body of work for the NCAA tournament. Rutgers baseball does not have a lot to sell recruits right now so I don't understand why you would not want to play early season weekend series against good teams. You have to play someone on the road from a warmer climate each weekend this time of year. They normally have good baseball programs. If you want to play some northern schools then you do it during spring break but not on these weekends.

If you do not think that saying you play those blue blood teams adds to the allure of a recruit coming to the Banks, you are sorely mistaken. The players want to do it.

If you want to play a schedule like Ball State, expect Ball State talent to come to the banks.

Fred Hill played this series forever and Fred Hill had a very successful program and he is in the Hall of Fame. I don't think this one series ruins a 60 game baseball season. Fred also played Georgia tech and Tulane. Those 3 games don't ruin the season.

Reactions: BaseballFan913
If you do not think that saying you play those blue blood teams adds to the allure of a recruit coming to the Banks, you are sorely mistaken. The players want to do it.

If you want to play a schedule like Ball State, expect Ball State talent to come to the banks.
We're still getting Ball State talent

Having played for Freddie and experiencing this series first hand, you have to keep in mind, years ago we started the season during spring break, we had almost a month more of practice before stepping onto a field. I'm all for playing difficult opponents early in the season but to think we'll be competitive with only a few weeks of practice now (since the season starts so much earlier) is just silly.

Owens recruiting seems better than previous staff so far but need to see it on the field. Did you expect an overnight turnaround? Geez, our 4th game is today. Owens has not even been here a year yet.
Not criticizing Owens. Just pointing out to the person who said we would get Ball State talent if we didn't play Miami that playing Miami the last several years has still produced Ball State talent. Where in God's name did I criticize Owens recruiting?

Not criticizing Owens. Just pointing out to the person who said we would get Ball State talent if we didn't play Miami that playing Miami the last several years has still produced Ball State talent. Where in God's name did I criticize Owens recruiting?
You were pointing out recruiting was less than satisfactory. Just responding to give home time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT