ADVERTISEMENT

No. 6 Seed Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Beats No. 3 Seed Penn in NCAA Quarterfinals

Guys. It was really hot today. Late in that game our guys dig deep. Colin was fantastic but know that those Penn middies were a handful. It took a lot out of our shorties. Running all game and just trying to get position.

Our defense was excellent all day. Guys are gonna lose a matchup here and there. Other teams have guys.

Hats off to everyone on this team.

Such a special day!

Really amazing effort in brutal heat. It's so satisfying to see so many playing at a really high level when it's all on the line.

Just one question going forward....is Jean Felix going to secure his helmet? Only half joking since it did lead to a goal.

Reactions: Terry_2426
Because the four quarterfinal matches are played at 2 neutral sites set up well in advance.
Right, but why chose a spot that is so isolating. If you mapped out college lacrosse, the majority of teams run along I-95.
Look at this map.
NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_lacrosse_map.png

Or….maybe I just hate Long Island.

Because the four quarterfinal matches are played at 2 neutral sites set up well in advance.
Just odd that this round plays at random neutral sites but the semis and finals never rotate? Seems like a lost opportunity to grow the fanebase and sport

Just one question going forward....is Jean Felix going to secure his helmet? Only half joking since it did lead to a goal.

I asked a question about this during the game but am curious if the board thought the refs should have stopped the game when JFF lost his helmet in play near the goal with Penn in a shooting position.

My ref buddy (neutral fan) thought play should have stopped immediately (like a player playing without a stick) to avoid injury.

Reactions: rufamily
I asked a question about this during the game but am curious if the board thought the refs should have stopped the game when JFF lost his helmet in play near the goal with Penn in a shooting position.

My ref buddy (neutral fan) thought play should have stopped immediately (like a player playing without a stick) to avoid injury.
A player who loses his stick is not permitted to participate in play until he picks up his stick, and I THINK this rule applies to when a player loses his helmet too.

It’s a penalty if the player violates the stick rule, and if this rule also applies to the helmet, there shouldn’t be any risk of injury.

Just odd that this round plays at random neutral sites but the semis and finals never rotate? Seems like a lost opportunity to grow the fanebase and sport
All the sites rotate. Upcoming years.

2022 PREDETERMINED SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
QuarterfinalHempstead, N.Y.James. H. Shuart StadiumMay 21 - 22Hofstra
QuarterfinalColumbus, OhioOhio StadiumMay 21 - 22Ohio State
ChampionshipEast Hartford, Conn.Rentschler FieldMay 28 - 30Fairfield

2023 PREDETERMINED SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
QuarterfinalAnnapolis, Md.Navy - Marine Corps Memorial StadiumMay 21U.S. Naval Academy
QuarterfinalAlbany, N.Y.Tom & Mary Casey StadiumMay 20Albany
ChampionshipPhiladelphiaLincoln Financial Field May 27, 29Drexel

2024 PREDETERMINED SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
QuarterfinalTowson, Md.Unitas StadiumMay 19Towson and Maryland Sports
QuarterfinalHempstead, N.Y.James H. Shuart StadiumMay 18Hofstra
ChampionshipPhiladelphiaLincoln Financial FieldMay 25, 27Drexel

2025 PREDETERMINED SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
QuarterfinalAnnapolis, Md.Navy - Marine Corps Memorial StadiumMay 18U.S. Naval Academy
QuarterfinalProvidence, R.I.Brown StadiumMay 17Brown
ChampionshipFoxborough, Mass.Gillette StadiumMay 24, 26Harvard and Gillette Stadium

2026 PREDETERMINED SITES
RoundCityVenueDatesHost
QuarterfinalHempstead, N.Y.James. H. Shuart StadiumMay 16Hofstra
QuarterfinalNewark, Del.Delaware StadiumMay 17Delaware
ChampionshipFoxborough, Mass.Gillette StadiumMay 23, 25Harvard and Gillette Stadium

Reactions: RUnTeX
The whole thing was just a bizarre sequence with JFF losing his helmet picking it up and attempting to return to play with limited vision running through the crease.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Right, but why chose a spot that is so isolating. If you mapped out college lacrosse, the majority of teams run along I-95.
Look at this map.
NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_lacrosse_map.png

Or….maybe I just hate Long Island.
Columbus is the outlier location of the two QF sites this year, not Long Island as much. Yes, it sucks to get on and off that dang island but it is more or less considered along the 95 corridor.

Looking at the box score today

Handley, Shipley, and Furey...the big midfield line was held to 1 goal between all three! Of course I’m biased here but man what a fantastic job by the rope unit and throw in Boswell there also....Penn operates everything from the top with big, physical athletes and we only gave up 1 goal to that group...

Rall was excellent as always, I thought Daninger played maybe the best game I’ve seen him play...Franko, Kamish each had points and were running all over the place in that heat...Coyne was good...just an excellent job under adverse conditions and of course they weren’t perfect...but Kirst was a stonewall all day so when they did slip up, Colin was awesome....

I count 7 points from the Rope unit if you include Boz who did run some LSM due to the heat and to get a matchup on 26 for Penn.

And 6, 44, 2, and 26 were so clean in the clear game all day. Patient and poised. I’ll check our clear % but I think it was pretty good

Just an excellent job holding them to 9 goals...

So exciting

Looking at the box score today

Handley, Shipley, and Furey...the big midfield line was held to 1 goal between all three! Of course I’m biased here but man what a fantastic job by the rope unit and throw in Boswell there also....Penn operates everything from the top with big, physical athletes and we only gave up 1 goal to that group...

Rall was excellent as always, I thought Daninger played maybe the best game I’ve seen him play...Franko, Kamish each had points and were running all over the place in that heat...Coyne was good...just an excellent job under adverse conditions and of course they weren’t perfect...but Kirst was a stonewall all day so when they did slip up, Colin was awesome....

I count 7 points from the Rope unit if you include Boz who did run some LSM due to the heat and to get a matchup on 26 for Penn.

And 6, 44, 2, and 26 were so clean in the clear game all day. Patient and poised. I’ll check our clear % but I think it was pretty good

Just an excellent job holding them to 9 goals...

So exciting
It’s funny how Anish and Carc were downplaying our NASCAR offense in the pregame, saying that we haven’t run as much this year. They had a point, but man did the rope guys put the foot on the gas pedal yesterday.

Like you said, 3 goals (Rall, Francko, and Boswell) and 4 assists (3 from Daninger, 1 from Rall).

The early offense was a difference maker.

It’s funny how Anish and Carc were downplaying our NASCAR offense in the pregame, saying that we haven’t run as much this year. They had a point, but man did the rope guys put the foot on the gas pedal yesterday.

Like you said, 3 goals (Rall, Francko, and Boswell) and 4 assists (3 from Daninger, 1 from Rall).

The early offense was a difference maker.
5 assists. One from Kamish...so that makes 8 points from our defense/rope

Penn is probably better than both these teams...with that said, if you’re still playing this weekend or next weekend, you are dangerous and can win...Cornell or UD will be game and ready for us...lots of talent.

Our guys will be ready

Really hope it’s cooler. That heat is not good for anyone.

I’d like us to play D against Cornell big guy the way we did against Sam Handley yesterday.

I mean it’s a 9-7 game. MOST FOGO’s are “pretty good” about now lol!
on the year, they're both sub .500, so we should have an advantage over either. The Cornell FOGO is killing UD's guy today....though on the year the UD guy is ranked slightly higher.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT