ADVERTISEMENT

No. 9 Rutgers Men's Lacrosse Hosts No. 4 Maryland on Sunday Night

Saw that game. Ever hear of a team getting into a zone?
Watch the entire game. They completely dominated Maryland that day. Played their game and executed it perfectly. Why can’t we ever do that against Maryland? Can’t go down five goals to a team like that, at home no less, and expect to come back late to win the game. Sorry, no excuses today, let’s get Penn St!

As far off as a lacrosse win is against Maryland it still seems light years closer than a football win over Sandusky.

Outside of Maryland's generational team last year, these games have often been close.

Got to give it to Maryland. They recruit lights out and their coaching staff is second to none. They played as good as a game as you can play in hostile environment completely dominating the first quarter, one we could never recover from.

Reactions: Wagram97
This years MD team isn’t close to last years MD team…

Going into tonight, RU needed to get one of either UMD or PSU…tonight was was set up with the home game at night…didn’t go our way and it was a horrible start. Especially on offense…

Not over, could be lots of lacrosse left but I’m pretty sure this team needs to win 2 games minimum to get in to the NCAA…so either you win the next two, or you will HAVE to get to the Big Ten final…

Two games does it imo. Our RPI will go up after tonight, and next game. But we have to win.

Going to be tough. Not sure what we do with the attack now with Cameron out.

Reactions: biazza38
I stepped out during the 3rd - what happened? Guess this means his injury was serious.

I don't like giving personal information out, but we will have to figure out life without him. Kid was playing really well too. He was that left hammer we needed.

Not sure what we do. We don't have another lefty attackman. Even so, I'd put Shane Murphy. He has some one on one skills that we just don't have from other guys.

The league is very good and the margin for error is razor thin. Top to bottom is very close.

Go beat PSU and we’re back in business…it’s really pointless to talk about anything else. Go beat PSU

RPI is fine, but “if” we go 1-4 in big ten play, that record will overshadow any plus RPI…you have to win some of these games…

This team will need to win at least 2 games before selection Sunday…1 win will likely not do it.

The one good thing is they need teams for this tourney. If not us, who? Definitely an odd year.

UNC losing to Syracuse was good for us.

Ivy will be interesting

Reactions: biazza38
Slightly off topic, and hate to be negative on the stadium, but the place was packed, and they should know it will be packed, how can you then only have 2 concession areas opened. Should be 1 or 2 more open, or at least the smaller food carts. Just getting a pretzel or popcorn should not take 30 minutes. Especially if you are inviting all these local teams to the event. We started the game watching from the pavilion area and moved to the stands after half, and was shocked at how bad it was. Need a lacrosse only stadium or just a field with bleachers to start with, that has plenty of food and drink options.

Game was clearly lost during that 1st QTR. Figured at this point we'd be done with the slow starts.

Have two more games guaranteed and will just have to see what happens.

RPI is fine, but “if” we go 1-4 in big ten play, that record will overshadow any plus RPI…you have to win some of these games…

This team will need to win at least 2 games before selection Sunday…1 win will likely not do it.

Either Mich or OSU will be disqualified next week from AL consideration with a losing record. Win next week and one tourney game and I think it be likely. Same for 2 tourney games. One tourney game highly doubtful and zero if there are upsets in other conference tourneys

Reactions: Caliknight
The one good thing is they need teams for this tourney. If not us, who? Definitely an odd year.

UNC losing to Syracuse was good for us.

Ivy will be interesting

Ivies will definitely get 2 if Cornell doesn't win the AQ. If they do a second team is iffy.

Either Mich or OSU will be disqualified next week from AL consideration with a losing record. Win next week and one tourney game and I think it be likely. Same for 2 tourney games. One tourney game highly doubtful and zero if there are upsets in other conference tourneys
We currently sit 8-4 and 1-3

We have @ PSU and then the BTT

I think you gotta win 2 and if you do that, you’re in…

You gotta win some of these games

Beat PSU

Missed all the action but not surprised by the outcome. There was probably no more than a 20% chance of winning and I guess the 80% team showed up.

I don't like giving personal information out, but we will have to figure out life without him. Kid was playing really well too. He was that left hammer we needed.

Not sure what we do. We don't have another lefty attackman. Even so, I'd put Shane Murphy. He has some one on one skills that we just don't have from other guys.
Cali, are you saying we have zero lefty attackmen on the roster period? Or none as good as Cameron? I'm hoping the latter because I can't see a high D1 roster with one lefty attacker.

Slightly off topic, and hate to be negative on the stadium, but the place was packed, and they should know it will be packed, how can you then only have 2 concession areas opened. Should be 1 or 2 more open, or at least the smaller food carts. Just getting a pretzel or popcorn should not take 30 minutes. Especially if you are inviting all these local teams to the event. We started the game watching from the pavilion area and moved to the stands after half, and was shocked at how bad it was. Need a lacrosse only stadium or just a field with bleachers to start with, that has plenty of food and drink options.

Game was clearly lost during that 1st QTR. Figured at this point we'd be done with the slow starts.

Have two more games guaranteed and will just have to see what happens.
It's not off topic at all. It's completely on topic and yet further proof that the operations folks never ever learn from their many past screw ups.

How can the athletic department leave money on the table because they can't figure out how to get more concession stands open. Not to mention it's brutal customer service. DId they think this was going to be like the 3 p.m. Tuesday game earlier this season when there were 300 people in the building? It continues to be an embarrassment how bad and inefficient the gameday operation is and I hope Colagiovanni or someone who has his ear reads this,

I don't have anything to add (not that anybody was waiting on pins and needles for my comments, ha ha). Great atmosphere and great game, Rutgers. You are big time!

There will be a rematch I expect...

The one thing that surprised me most about this team, given the veteran leadership, are the slow starts. Thought we'd have another fast start like Michigan. The atmosphere was fantastic, huge crowd right from the start and the way the defense was playing to start the game was amazing. Offense just took too much time to get started and those early turnovers, for a team that does not turn the ball over, were the killers.

As a fan, have to admit this one is tough.

Last edited:
Reactions: jreinsdorf
And they just showed the replay there's no way that their coach got the time out called before their guy lost the ball
Did not see the play but, coaches will regularly tell a referee that if they get possession they want a timeout. Not, saying that is what happened but that is a possibility.

Was going to post the same question.
we have two other lefties in Logan Peters and Jack Aimone. Jack is developing nicely into a solid middie and Logan is a little young but the heir apparent on the left side. But, neither one has the ability to do some of the things that Cameron can do. did you see the first goal he simply shot through the defenseman? you could see Cameron Hobbling a little in the 3rd quarter, it looks like he may have reaggravated his injury. They already have an issue with the 3rd attack spot as they are not getting the production out of it they need and now they may have to replace Cameron as well? could be a long night on Friday for the good guys

The one thing that surprised me most about this team, given the veteran leadership, are the slow starts. Thought we'd have another fast start like Michigan. The atmosphere was fantastic, huge crowd right from the start and the way the defense was playing to start the game was amazing. Offense just took too much time to get started and those early turnovers, for a team that does not turn the ball over, were the killers.

As a fan, have to admit this one is tough.
Played too tight and too conservative in Q1. Maybe the message to the offense was to get touches take time off the clock and not let MD get a fast start in Q1 similar to last year. Did not work and it seemed the players were holding their sticks a little tighter than normal. RU has a block when it comes to MD. The players need to man up if they want to get to the next level by playing 60 minutes with a sense of urgency. Amazing how fast they played and moved on offense in Q4.

Can’t have the last possession take 75 seconds.
This is what amazes me. No urgency from the offensive side of the ball. Seems like the O lacks confidence this year. Pass up good shots to take a low percentage bad angle shot late in the shot clock.

Slightly off topic, and hate to be negative on the stadium, but the place was packed, and they should know it will be packed, how can you then only have 2 concession areas opened. Should be 1 or 2 more open, or at least the smaller food carts.

This was the fourth or fifth game I made it to this year but I believe it is the first I have seen with vendors roaming the stands with concessions. This could also be a product of where I normally sit vs. yesterday so take that with a grain of salt but I was thinking this was great foresight by Rutgers to add the extra POS options.

It also gave the experience a more big time feel which was cool for all of the kid's teams that were mobbing the place(which is a good thing!).

Watched the 1st half & though not a high IQ lax guy thought there was way too much one on one play, trying to dodge. Not enough cutters. Happy to be shown otherwise by more experienced lax guys.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Watched the 1st half & though not a high IQ lax guy thought there was way too much one on one play, trying to dodge. Not enough cutters. Happy to be shown otherwise by more experienced lax guys.

You are right. Initiating one on one is the start of any offense. You dodge to score. But without ball movement off of that and cutters, it makes an offense very easy to defend. Conversely, look at Maryland spin the ball. We played very well on D I thought. We held them to 11 goals. You can win a lot of games doing that with the offensive players we have, but something just isn't clicking. We are making it very hard on ourselves.

Our NASCAR isn't being used, mostly because we really only have 1 DMid who is willing to and able to shoot. I think we had one goal yesterday in transition and that was Bobby Russo's pole goal.

If we aren't going to run and gun, then our settled O needs to be much better. I believe it was earlier in the season but something has changed. The substitution patterns didnt help on offense. We are looking for something late in the season. One issue is we attack from up top or behind. We don't attack from the sides and our pick game is spotty. We also rarely get the ball inside. Doesn't seem to be a lot of trust there.

I'm not sure what we do at this point but something needs to change on the offensive side. 8 goals, as good as Maryland is on D, isn't going to win that game. It's also not going to win Friday. We need more offense. Turning the ball over certainly didn't help.

Overall outside of the O I thought we had a chance. Faceoffs were serviceable and we were turning them over. We needed to take advantage of that.

You are right. Initiating one on one is the start of any offense. You dodge to score. But without ball movement off of that and cutters, it makes an offense very easy to defend. Conversely, look at Maryland spin the ball. We played very well on D I thought. We held them to 11 goals. You can win a lot of games doing that with the offensive players we have, but something just isn't clicking. We are making it very hard on ourselves.

Our NASCAR isn't being used, mostly because we really only have 1 DMid who is willing to and able to shoot. I think we had one goal yesterday in transition and that was Bobby Russo's pole goal.

If we aren't going to run and gun, then our settled O needs to be much better. I believe it was earlier in the season but something has changed. The substitution patterns didnt help on offense. We are looking for something late in the season. One issue is we attack from up top or behind. We don't attack from the sides and our pick game is spotty. We also rarely get the ball inside. Doesn't seem to be a lot of trust there.

I'm not sure what we do at this point but something needs to change on the offensive side. 8 goals, as good as Maryland is on D, isn't going to win that game. It's also not going to win Friday. We need more offense. Turning the ball over certainly didn't help.

Overall outside of the O I thought we had a chance. Faceoffs were serviceable and we were turning them over. We needed to take advantage of that.
Thanks Cali. On the cutters & pics, thought the Terps were effective with both in the 1st half.

It did seem that almost every time we were in transition, we were looking to pass first. Don't recall even seeing the player trying to run down the middle of the field, was right to the sideline to make a pass to the attack in the corner.

Decker just doesn't have an offensive skillset. He's purely a D mid.

We don't have anyone that can take guys in the open field except for 21.

Putting a short stick in Reynolds hands, while is definitely an asset on D, it's a liability on O, at least as it relates to Nascar. He's an LSM IMO.

You can't help but look ahead to next year. What's our rope unit look like?

You have Splain and Jones at LSM and Reynolds at shortie. Who are the other guys?

I thought we'd see Dollive a lot more this year in the short stick role. He's a guy with offensive skills.

Man were we spoiled last year with our rope unit. We've had some good ones over the years but that group was special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT