ADVERTISEMENT

No Drama, Objective Crisp Sportswriting on RU QB Situation

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
stop jerking off for attention. the article is ok, not great and more in line with what a kid from the 'medium' would write

lower than basic actually
The medium…yikes. 🫣
A QB situation when there isn’t a clear starter is fraught with guesswork and hope. Even in top 10 programs with nothing but 4/5* talent you have no idea how that heisman hopeful will do until he’s thrown at the wolves and has to run for his life in front of 50-100K crowds.

Kaliakmanis…that’s just a cool name though.

Last edited:
stop jerking off for attention. the article is ok, not great and more in line with what a kid from the 'medium' would write

lower than basic actually
I’ll take a “medium” (C+/B-) level performance from the position for the season right now.

Lol, dbag Politi articles get lots of comments, but solid objective writing gets nothing
Give it a rest. Iseman's article is good, but so was Politi's on this topic. Both were well written with different angles which isn't really a surprise. I actually liked Steve's angle on how RU has failed to develop a QB in 10+ years - it's the truth. Let's hope Kaliakmanis is up to the test, although I still think Shepard looked better in the spring game (with the caveat that it was the spring game and we don't see the practices).

Surely a smart guy like you understands that Steve is a columnist and Chris is a reporter.
This. IMO they are both very good at what they do, but they do different things.

BTW, the term "clickbait" refers to the headline. Generally, headlines are written by headline writers, not reporters or columnists. Yes, their job is to get you to click. That is not unique to NJ.com.

Give it a rest. Iseman's article is good, but so was Politi's on this topic. Both were well written with different angles which isn't really a surprise. I actually liked Steve's angle on how RU has failed to develop a QB in 10+ years - it's the truth. Let's hope Kaliakmanis is up to the test, although I still think Shepard looked better in the spring game (with the caveat that it was the spring game and we don't see the practices).
Hard to develop QBs when you're turning over OC's annually during the Flood and Ash tenures as well as making poor recruiting decisions with HS recruits and in the portal.

Reactions: RU848789
I don't think development is the issue. We havent signed a quality QB since Nova - present QB room excluded due to lack of info.

Reactions: BossNJ
I’m all for getting better. Just wish they brought in a better version of GW. AL seems like a step back to more pro style. That’s asking a lot from our OL. But the opponents this year seem more offensive focus.

Now there’s no debate on QBs, so we are moving on to the reporters covering the story?

Shepppard played against defenders who won’t see the floor. Meaningless

I don't think development is the issue. We havent signed a quality QB since Nova - present QB room excluded due to lack of info.
Wimsatt was highly rated.

After the fact it's easy to say he wasn't good, but he came in with high hopes.

When was the last QB to play above, or even up to, expectations?

It will be very interesting to see where Wimsatt transfers to. The better the more school, the more that indicates that others think he has untapped potential. I'm not qualified to judge whether he does or not, but it must be hard on a QB to have constant changes in OCs. Maybe he's a good player who just needs a different situation, just like we hope Kaliakmanis is.

Reactions: MADHAT1
It will be very interesting to see where Wimsatt transfers to. The better the more school, the more that indicates that others think he has untapped potential. I'm not qualified to judge whether he does or not, but it must be hard on a QB to have constant changes in OCs. Maybe he's a good player who just needs a different situation, just like we hope Kaliakmanis is.

At this point, the school he ends up at has more to do with roster gaps than anything else. If NW can’t land a proven QB, maybe they will take him, for example. I’d be very surprised if he goes to a major conference school that already has a projected proven starter who he’d have to beat out.

I’m all for getting better. Just wish they brought in a better version of GW. AL seems like a step back to more pro style. That’s asking a lot from our OL. But the opponents this year seem more offensive focus.
He is a pro style QB and that’s where we are now.

At this point, the school he ends up at has more to do with roster gaps than anything else. If NW can’t land a proven QB, maybe they will take him, for example. I’d be very surprised if he goes to a major conference school that already has a projected proven starter who he’d have to beat out.
Yes and no. Even assuming there are few schools without a projected proven starter, some are FBS and some are FCS. It will be significant which kind Wimsatt winds up. But I agree that it's unlikely that a major conference school will bring him in to compete with an "incumbent" like the one we got in Kaliakmanis.

uhhhh, Gav and AK both played against the bench

The guys they played against were mostly 2 deep players, many (most) of which would be starters on a MAC roster. When you go deeper than that, the difference is notable. It’s like playing Wagner. Which is different (very much so) from playing a middle of the road MAC team. The fact that Gavin couldn’t shine against Wagner in any of several attempts is another discussion entirely.

The guys they played against were mostly 2 deep players, many (most) of which would be starters on a MAC roster. When you go deeper than that, the difference is notable. It’s like playing Wagner. Which is different (very much so) from playing a middle of the road MAC team. The fact that Gavin couldn’t shine against Wagner in any of several attempts is another discussion entirely.
were you watching? improved depth yes but in very vanilla, no blitz packages and straight up man on man, the bench was still lacking. You can't have it both ways here

This, imho, is where Greg messes up. He tries to prove the negative too much. shep should have had half the reps that Gav had in the scrimmage as the decision was 90% made up by then

were you watching? improved depth yes but in very vanilla, no blitz packages and straight up man on man, the bench was still lacking. You can't have it both ways here

This, imho, is where Greg messes up. He tries to prove the negative too much. shep should have had half the reps that Gav had in the scrimmage as the decision was 90% made up by then

I don’t understand what you are saying. Especially paragraph 2 . If you think the talent level Sheppard played against was the same as GW why did Greg mess up? In that case it wouldn’t matter. I don’t believe this is true though. The defensive guys who played the reps vs AK and Gav were the guys who are the closes to seeing PT of the subset of guys who played in the game. Therefore at this point they are better players.

We may have lost the best athlete on our roster and definitely the best in that room but all 3 of these guys seem pretty accurate and reflect what Ciarocca is looking for. Was hoping Gavin might stick around and play a different position but wish him all the best as it is his desire to play QB.

What we also do not know or see is who makes the reads the fastest. Surface is smaller but I suspect he makes the reads as well as the Greek already. Amani looks to be an excellent passer and is a big kid. I still like the room. I liked it better a week ago but still like it.

Wimsatt was highly rated.

After the fact it's easy to say he wasn't good, but he came in with high hopes.

When was the last QB to play above, or even up to, expectations?
his ranking was flawed, should never have been ranked that high

think about this, Cole blew him away head to head with hs numbers and level of comp and cole was much lower 3star.

@KK1827 do you have that video of Gav throws?

We may have lost the best athlete on our roster and definitely the best in that room but all 3 of these guys seem pretty accurate and reflect what Ciarocca is looking for. Was hoping Gavin might stick around and play a different position but wish him all the best as it is his desire to play QB.

What we also do not know or see is who makes the reads the fastest. Surface is smaller but I suspect he makes the reads as well as the Greek already. Amani looks to be an excellent passer and is a big kid. I still like the room. I liked it better a week ago but still like it.
best athlete? your best athletes are usually on defense. Gav showed nothing to say he was the best athlete. he could throw the ball far, so can many other people. He ran fast, so can many other people. He never juked, never covered anyone in a read and react mode (his only read and react led to how many INT for 6?)

best athlete lol

Reactions: BossNJ

Gavin was not the best athlete on the roster. Strongest arm of the QB room but far from the best athlete on the team.

You make a good point, but if Wimsatt goes to a g-5 program we might be safe in suspecting P-4 programs might not think he'd be starting material for them in the future and going g-5 was what Gavin found his only option.

You make a good point, but if Wimsatt goes to a g-5 program we might be safe in suspecting P-4 programs might not think he'd be starting material for them in the future and going g-5 was what Gavin found his only option.
I think that’s probably a given. If a school like NW picked him up, it would not be because they thought he has this untapped talent as much as he’d be a veteran guy whose played at the BIG level before in the absence of anyone else getting late in the game.

Gavin was not the best athlete on the roster. Strongest arm of the QB room but far from the best athlete on the team.
I meant one of the best and best athlete in the QB room. Not many kids can do what he is capable of doing. We have a lot of great athletes but not sure any of them can throw the ball and run for an 80 yard TD. Would have liked to have seen him stick around which was the main point I was making but I like the kids who are here a lot.

And we don't know how well they'll operate in our offense when they have a B10 DL bearing down on them.
Yeah it's not easy playing the toughest schedule in NCAAF but the good news is we get a break in that area. We will play some great teams but not the Defenses we saw last year.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT