ADVERTISEMENT

No QB Pecking Order According to Coach Ash

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...order-rutgers-football-quarterbacks/82211664/

Three way competition- Rescigno, Laviano, Rettig.
Last year's results not factoring in.

Dunleavy with the backhanded slap to the former coach:
"Chris Ash didn't say anything unexpected about the Rutgers quarterback competition, but there is a sense that maybe his familiar words carry a little more truth than the last time they were said."

Thank you. Asked the question in another thread about who the "3" he kept referring to were and my guess is that Dare, as I've expected for a while now, will be transferring out soon enough.

Is it at all possible he chooses to switch positions?

I wouldn't expect anything less. Now let's see what they do when they learn everything that the prior staff knew.

I wouldn't expect anything less. Now let's see what they do when they learn everything that the prior staff knew.

Or when they find the right QB, of the 3, for a completely different system. Who knows, right? He did say "obviously Lavs has an experience advantage" or something similar, however, he's gonna start the guy who fits this system best I'd venture to guess.

Will be interesting to see the reaction if Laviano gets the starting job. In my estimation, Laviano will have an edge because of experience, but Gio's tape and stats from high school are interesting, and who knows what Rettig can do since we saw so little of him last year. Maybe we will have a dual QB system this year, and Ash hinted to that when he said "If you don’t necessarily have that guy and it’s a dual-role system then that’s what we’ll do to get the job done."

Will be interesting to see the reaction if Laviano gets the starting job. In my estimation, Laviano will have an edge because of experience, but Gio's tape and stats from high school are interesting, and who knows what Rettig can do since we saw so little of him last year. Maybe we will have a dual QB system this year, and Ash hinted to that when he said "If you don’t necessarily have that guy and it’s a dual-role system then that’s what we’ll do to get the job done."
I am guessing that who he starts is not going to be an issue but him not giving a shot to #2, when it looks like #1 is slumping, will be.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...order-rutgers-football-quarterbacks/82211664/

Dunleavy with the backhanded slap to the former coach:
"Chris Ash didn't say anything unexpected about the Rutgers quarterback competition, but there is a sense that maybe his familiar words carry a little more truth than the last time they were said."
What did the hand say to the face? SLAP!!!!!

Perhaps to TE as he has the size. He is listed at 6' 5" & 225.

Guess it all depends if he really wants to play QB at this level, or not, right? He can play 3 years, starting this fall, if he transfers down.

For some reason I believe that it will be an open process. I felt last years was not fair. But what do I know?

There was little to nothing about what came out of Flood's mouth that I trusted, believed in or was inspired by. His insipid post game press conference was maddening and he clearly played favorites with the players. Ash has no reason to play favorites and I can accept what decisions he makes based on the competition.

For some reason I believe that it will be an open process. I felt last years was not fair. But what do I know?
Last year was far more fair than you know, and I credit Flood for not pulling a Barchi.

I agree w/ DJ, just wanted to see Flood get Rettig onto the field more (a full third quarter against UM, Wisconsin, OSU) give him a chance/some experience. If he wasn't ready it would show, and fast.

I think that, at this point, it's roughly 75% likely we'll see Laviano start. But I think that Ash will be much quicker to try different people, if we're not getting a ton of production from the starting QB, than Flood was. I also think that this season's offense will give the QB more chances for success. And more chances to fail.

Last season, against good teams, we couldn't protect the QB. So at times, production was hard to come by regardless of who might have been in the game. This season, I think it will be a bit different.

We'll see soon enough.

I would say, at this point, it's about 40% Laviano and, as Ash said yesterday, because he does have "experience.'

I think that, at this point, it's roughly 75% likely we'll see Laviano start. But I think that Ash will be much quicker to try different people, if we're not getting a ton of production from the starting QB, than Flood was. I also think that this season's offense will give the QB more chances for success. And more chances to fail.

"Not getting a ton of production"??? He went nearly half the season without getting us in the end zone. Some people may agree Laviano won the QB competition last year (if there really was one) but very few people would disagree that Flood should have made a switch to see if anyone else could have done better. Based on what Ash saw with Meyer, I can't believe there's even a chance he will be afraid to make a move if it's needed.

Reactions: RUsSKii
I think it's going to be laviano and other guys will see some time . I really just hope we don't burn the olden's redshirt .

"Not getting a ton of production"??? He went nearly half the season without getting us in the end zone. Some people may agree Laviano won the QB competition last year (if there really was one) but very few people would disagree that Flood should have made a switch to see if anyone else could have done better. Based on what Ash saw with Meyer, I can't believe there's even a chance he will be afraid to make a move if it's needed.
You mean the entire offense didn't get into the end zone. I typically DVR all the games, home or away. So I can experience the game as it happens, then re-watch it later to see what really happened. And in lots of the games, the QB was not given a whole lot to work with in terms of schemes or protection or open receivers (for whatever reasons, when Carroo was out, the rest of the receivers struggled to consistently create separation).

Could another QB possibly have jump-started things simply by virtue of a change or by being willing to take more risks? Sure, it's possible. But it's at least as possible that any other QB would've fared even worse, created more turnovers, etc. In some games, it seemed possible. In others, we would have been squashed with any pro QB you could name. It takes a whole team.

If I were Flood, I would've tried a lot of different things. Different O schemes, different protection schemes, and yes, different QBs, even though it would clearly have been a risk. Because in some of those bad games, what did we have to lose by trying?

I agree with you about Ash. He saw Meyer's willingness to employ more than a single QB in an attempt to find the best possible offense. So I have to think Ash will have the same attitude about the QB position at RU. What we don't know yet, because Flood wouldn't take that risk at game time, is if our backup QBs are really so problematic that we don't have as many options as our typical and understandable wishful thinking approach to analysis might tell us we have.

We'll learn a lot more as the Spring practices continue. And even more in the Fall. Until then, it's all speculation, eh?

Reactions: Bill 86

Such short memories. Rettig had his shot to earn more PT when he was put in to play multiple series with the RU 1st team against the starters of Michigan and Wisconsin at the beginning of the 4Q in those games. Did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant getting a shot earlier in a game. Rettig did also get 1st string reps against Norfolk State and did well, but so did Laviano in that game.

RECAP of Rettig’s series agains Michigan and Wisconsin:

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24
(8:57 - 4th) Josh Hicks run for 4 yds to the Rutgr 28

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28
(8:38 - 4th) Hayden Rettig run for 1 yd to the Rutgr 29

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29
(8:18 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass incomplete to Andre Patton

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29
(8:08 - 4th) Joey Roth punt for 29 yds, downed at the Mich 42

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18
(5:52 - 4th) Robert Martin run for 10 yds to the Rutgr 28 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28
(4:55 - 4th) Robert Martin run for no gain to the Rutgr 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28
(4:20 - 4th) Hayden Rettig run for 1 yd to the Rutgr 29

• (4:02 - 4th) Timeout RUTGERS, clock 04:02
    • 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29
(4:00 - 4th) MICHIGAN Penalty, Defensive Offside (5 Yards) to the Rutgr 34

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34
(3:30 - 4th) Hayden Rettig sacked by Taco Charlton for a loss of 8 yards to the Rutgr 26

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26
(3:14 - 4th) Joey Roth punt for 35 yds, downed at the Mich 39

WISCONSIN: 4th quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• (9:38 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass incomplete to Robert Martin, broken up by T.J. Watt

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• (9:38 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass incomplete to Carlton Agudosi

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• (9:38 - 4th) Michael Cintron punt for 50 yds , Jazz Peavy returns for 9 yds to the Wisc

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

(7:35 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass complete to Paul James for 2 yds to the Rutgr 12

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

(7:35 - 4th) Paul James run for 4 yds to the Rutgr 16

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

(7:35 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass incomplete to Matt Flanagan

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

(7:35 - 4th) Michael Cintron punt for 46 yds, punt out-of-bounds at the Wisc 38

4 Minutes LEFT WISCONSIN Brings in 2nd 3rd string defenders:
    • 1st and 10 at RUTG 22
(4:32 - 4th) Josh Hicks run for 22 yds to the Rutgr 44 for a 1ST down

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44
(4:32 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass complete to Carlton Agudosi for 49 yds to the Wisc 7 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7
(4:32 - 4th) Josh Hicks run for a loss of 4 yards to the Wisc 11

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11
(4:32 - 4th) Hayden Rettig run for a loss of 2 yards to the Wisc 13

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13
(4:32 - 4th) Hayden Rettig run for a loss of 10 yards to the Wisc 23

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23
(1:15 - 4th) Kyle Federico 41 yd FG MISSED

Such short memories. Rettig had his shot to earn more PT when he was put in to play multiple series with the RU 1st team against the starters of Michigan and Wisconsin at the beginning of the 4Q in those games. Did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to warrant getting a shot earlier in a game. Rettig did also get 1st string reps against Norfolk State and did well, but so did Laviano in that game.

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34
(3:30 - 4th) Hayden Rettig sacked by Taco Charlton for a loss of 8 yards to the Rutgr 26

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• (9:38 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass incomplete to Robert Martin, broken up by T.J. Watt

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• (9:38 - 4th) Michael Cintron punt for 50 yds , Jazz Peavy returns for 9 yds to the Wisc

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

(7:35 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass complete to Paul James for 2 yds to the Rutgr 12

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44
(4:32 - 4th) Hayden Rettig pass complete to Carlton Agudosi for 49 yds to the Wisc 7 for a 1ST down

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

You convinced me lets bring back Flood.

Agree with Slyker and Mildone. Our Offense was overmatched at times and in those games Laviano looked bad as did Rettig. Laviano looked good against the next level of teams and I suspect Rettig also would have looked good in those games.

Two years ago it made perfect sense to play Nova the entire season. I think last season called for playing two guys almost equally. But many people are against that just like they are against playing multiple RB's. As HC you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. All I want is W's and how they get there is up to the staff.

Reactions: Bill 86
Slyker is still on the Laviano only train (which required Flood absolute defense).

I thought this was addressed

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

First post of the 2016 season.
    • 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

I appreciate your attention to detail, but let's see how Ash sorts the QB situation out. This will be easily his most critical decision in to start the season. Will he affirm or confirm?

I'm on the Rettig bandwagon, I think Ash crafts a hybrid offense around Rettigs strengths this year until Oden or someone else is capable of running his preferred spread in year 2, Rettig still has the most upside in my opinion.

Oh wonderful, Slyker's back.

This was a tough discussion last year, and I don't care to rehash it.

Certainly there were times that trying something different was warranted. Coach disagreed, and it most likely cost him his job.

I'm happy that Ash is bringing accountability to the program.

Reactions: RUsSKii
Oh wonderful, Slyker's back.

This was a tough discussion last year, and I don't care to rehash it.

Certainly there were times that trying something different was warranted. Coach disagreed, and it most likely cost him his job.

I'm happy that Ash is bringing accountability to the program.

I think it had very little with Flood losing his job. The off field issues had the biggest impact.

Didn't we know there was no pecking order about 5 mins into his first press conference??

I think it had very little with Flood losing his job. The off field issues had the biggest impact.

Yeah, I probably should have been more clear. You're right, the off field stuff probably carried more weight. I guess what I was getting at was an element of stubbornness: (i.e. I made the right decision, no need to change . . . ever, and the boys will be boys mindset); when a strong stance on accountability would have served better.

Either way, I am so ready to move on. And like so many, I'm sure Flood is a helluva guy, just wasn't prepared for that job. I don't think anyone can question that he cared for his players.

MICHIGAN - 4Th Quarter

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 24

• 2nd and 6 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 5 at RUTG 29

• 4th and 5 at RUTG 29

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 18

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 28

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 28

• 3rd and 9 at RUTG 29

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 34

• 4th and 12 at RUTG 26

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 3rd and 10 at RUTG 10

• 4th and 10 at RUTG 10

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 10

• 2nd and 8 at RUTG 12

• 3rd and 4 at RUTG 16

• 4th and 4 at RUTG 16

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 22

• 1st and 10 at RUTG 44

• 1st and Goal at WIS 7

• 2nd and 0 at WIS 11

• 3rd and 0 at WIS 13

• 4th and 0 at WIS 23

Wow! Now do you want to put up your boy's stats for all his drives in those 2 games? Or are you just going to stare at his poster all afternoon?

Wow! Now do you want to put up your boy's stats for all his drives in those 2 games? Or are you just going to stare at his poster all afternoon?

You know as well as I do that Laviano did not move the offense well against Wsconsin or Michigan. Do you really want me to cut and paste the drive logs from ESPN for those games as well? What I do know is that the coach had selected and stuck with a starting QB based on countless hours of reps that none of us had the chance to witness. We also know that when the backup was put in with the starters against the starting defense of Wisconsin and Michigan he added zero spark to the offense and the offense did absolutely nothing. So if I am a coach and I know (hypothetically) that one QB consistently moves the team better in practice situations… and I also know that when given a shot against real defenses, the backup has given no additional spark or life to the offense, and done nothing indicate he would perform better in the future, why in gods name would I ever decide to insert him in a game earlier over the starter? Did you really want your coach to insert a QB that he has seen provide consistently less production in similar circumstances in both practice and game situations? I will never be able to fathom the mindset of some message board fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT