ADVERTISEMENT

Not adding a center?

OMG, what part of "rumor" do people not understand?

Here's the definition: a current story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

Half the fan base has now decided Lathan is a spoiled brat or whatever based solely on a rumor. And the fact that Rutgers inability to land an experienced big man is due solely to not having the money to buy one is now being spun into "money is not the problem .... Lathan is the problem".

Give me a freakin' break already. I swear ... you can not make this stuff up.

Everything is pure BS speculation by fans that really know little about what's going on. Ogbole sucks, we need this or that, we have NIL money or don't. Some are either home made experts or soothsayers. One thing is certain and this is a fact, we under contribute to either the school or NIL but we spend lavishly with our words.

OMG, what part of "rumor" do people not understand?

Here's the definition: a current story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth.

Half the fan base has now decided Lathan is a spoiled brat or whatever based solely on a rumor. And the fact that Rutgers inability to land an experienced big man is due solely to not having the money to buy one is now being spun into "money is not the problem .... Lathan is the problem".

Give me a freakin' break already. I swear ... you can not make this stuff up.
Why do you keep up with these tantrums on both boards when it's been reported by Richie that other outlets are hearing the same? Let's review:

RU has the NIL to land a decent experienced center.
RU talks to a number of experienced centers in the early weeks of the portal.
RU tells Trilly Donovan that they are happy with their current bigs.
RU focus shifts to unsigned 2024 HS centers.

Do the math please...lol. The smoke is billowing at this point.

Why do you keep up with these tantrums on both boards when it's been reported by Richie that other outlets are hearing the same? Let's review:

There's been more reporting than even what's listed up here. But so long as someone chooses to believe that information gleaned from professional reporters talking to insiders constitutes rumors, well then they can choose to believe that they are only rumors.

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-

For a long time all the reports were that we got surprised by the prices of centers and priced out. I've seen that reported way more than this latest rumor.

For a long time all the reports were that we got surprised by the prices of centers and priced out. I've seen that reported way more than this latest rumor.
Our NIL situation never had RU in play for top centers but for mid tier centers they have the funds and still have the funds available.

At this point, I believe the "price out" part was to hide the fact that Lathan was threatening to leave if they brought in an experienced player.

If this kid doesn't deliver, the fan base is going to turn on him very quickly because of what this upcoming season was supposed to represent.

There's been more reporting than even what's listed up here. But so long as someone chooses to believe that information gleaned from professional reporters talking to insiders constitutes rumors, well then they can choose to believe that they are only rumors.

I think its fair to say that there will be (at least) some speculation involved even if coming from professional reporters. The only ones who truly know for sure what direction they want to take the roster and filling open spots are Pike and his staff. It could be that Lathan stands in the way of bringing in another proven center...or...it could be that after an early search period, it was evaluated that the NIL funds available fall short of target given the trending going rate for a proven center.

I'm assuming Pike knows what he is doing based on his history at RU. Based on that, I can only assume he also has learned that:
  1. Even high ranked Centers in the Big Ten have generally struggled their freshman years on D
  2. Players are an annual proposition in the NIL era. It is a very plausible scenario that Lathan will only be at RU for one year
Given these factors, I would find it very surprising if Pike indeed would hand the keys over to Lathan based on some type of ultimatum or fear of Lathan being upset about potential competition for minutes.

Sure, you can conclude what you want based on all the admitted assumptions that you list and are making. On certain issues, I choose to credit reporting because it's consistent. And I'm just a dude not talking to anybody.

In the end, the team we have will tip off in November, and off we go.

I'm going to chose full conspiracy theory:

• All the experience center transfer talk was the actual smokescreen. We were never bringing in anyone of note.
  • Lathan has always been the Prince That Was Promised.
  • The reason HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for 3 open scholarships? How was HC Pike sure he'd have 2 open roster spots? HC Pike always planned on pushing out Clif and either Woolf/Ogbole regardless of how the season went. To make room for the freshman and give Lathan a clear lane.
  • HC Pike and Lathan have been pulling the strings all along.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I'm going to chose full conspiracy theory:

• All the experience center transfer talk was the actual smokescreen. We were never bringing in anyone of note.
  • Lathan has always been the Prince That Was Promised.
  • The reason HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for 3 open scholarships? How was HC Pike sure he'd have 2 open roster spots? HC Pike always planned on pushing out Clif and either Woolf/Ogbole regardless of how the season went. To make room for the freshman and give Lathan a clear lane.
  • HC Pike and Lathan have been pulling the strings all along.
Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Sure - or alternatively, Pike could’ve pulled his usual off season glowing optimisn of all his incoming / returning players in an interview. Wait til you see what a stud Somerville is, etc. When asked about the portal? Response - “well as you know we have to balance flight risk and make sure we’re giving younger guys a chance to step up. Everyone - has to remember - these kids want to play. I think Somerville will surprise people, and if we bring in someone to play over him, well then we run the risk of him walking out and that’s a missed opportunity for us”.

Does anyone not picture the above coming out of Pike’a mouth - because, yup know, we could literally point to it time and again from season’s pasts. Can anyone also not see how this could’ve easily translated into we stopped recruiting BIGs to keep Somerville happy because he was otherwise going to leave? Actually - what I wrote above could reasonably be interpreted that way - but in the context of how I posed it - could also have been Pike avoiding an open ended question about why we didn’t get a proven portal BIG.

Yes, you can talk yourself into anything.
So your saying there is a definitive report that states outright that Lathan suddenly (before the portal deadline) gave a firm ultimatum that he was leaving if we decided to recruit a proven center. As if there was a guaranteed landing spot for him at another school that would be free from any returning experience at the center position. I don’t understand - unless he was thinking of shifting to a low major it just doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Eagleton96
So who's the center they were going to get before lathan Somerville told them not to? I remember them striking out on a couple..

Officially predicted Dylan to Rutgers on Aug. 4, 2023:

People are weird.
https://burnerball.com/sources-dylan-harper-to-take-more-official-visits/

I believe this is what he is talking about. I dont think there were ever anymore visits.

So your saying there is a definitive report that states outright that Lathan suddenly (before the portal deadline) gave a firm ultimatum that he was leaving if we decided to recruit a proven center. As if there was a guaranteed landing spot for him at another school that would be free from any returning experience at the center position. I don’t understand - unless he was thinking of shifting to a low major it just doesn’t make sense.
Of course a four star recruit being able to find a substantial alternative landing spot makes sense. Of course. At this point, I don't even know what you're on about.

Of course a four star recruit being able to find a substantial alternative landing spot makes sense. Of course. At this point, I don't even know what you're on about.
You ignored the part about there not being another center there to compete with...which is the reason he'd theoretically be leaving RU. What are YOU on about?

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
No I didn't. The discussion was about RU backing off adding a veteran center because Sommerville wasn't comfortable with it. The odd rabbit holes created thereafter are not my doing. This discussion has gotten pointless and wandering.

No I didn't. The discussion was about RU backing off adding a veteran center because Sommerville wasn't comfortable with it. The odd rabbit holes created thereafter are not my doing. This discussion has gotten pointless and wandering.

No - my response was about what Eagle said. My point wasn’t that Somerville couldn’t get offers anywhere now or at any point. It was that at this point, it’d be hard for him to find a landing spot at a major conference school that has no returning experience whatsoever at center. How many major conference schools can you name outside of RU right now have a total of 8 mpg of prior D1 experience on their secured rosters? There probably aren’t many.

Yes, you're still at it. It's not as if your fantastical guesswork of what might happen is going to change my belief in the reporting that I've read. In my eyes, professional reporters win, you lose and don't even get into the consideration. Now, I'm not saying that you can't believe what you want to believe. I don't care. It just doesn't move me, and I'm not going to go down these fantastical what if roads that dot your every wandering post of thought bubbles. You can think all that stuff. Please enjoy.

You ignored the part about there not being another center there to compete with...which is the reason he'd theoretically be leaving RU. What are YOU on about?
There are plenty of schools still looking for centers, and they are surely in Lathan’s ear, trying to get him to decommit . . .

Yes, you're still at it. It's not as if your fantastical guesswork of what might happen is going to change my belief in the reporting that I've read. In my eyes, professional reporters win, you lose and don't even get into the consideration. Now, I'm not saying that you can't believe what you want to believe. I don't care. It just doesn't move me, and I'm not going to go down these fantastical what if roads that dot your every wandering post of thought bubbles. You can think all that stuff. Please enjoy.
Huh? What you just responded to is an entirely different topic from:

You said “of course” he can find a landing spot as if I had suggested he wouldn’t get any offers. Eagle pointed out that I didn’t say that at all - getting an offer is completing different from finding a major conference school without anyone lined up to play center who has much prior D1 experience already on the roster seems like a long shot to me.

Why are you such a douch? Nobody’s trying to convince you. People ARE trying to work out what’s going on by going over the facts and different interpretations. You act like that’s a personal affront.

There are plenty of schools still looking for centers, and they are surely in Lathan’s ear, trying to get him to decommit . . .

The more appropriate question is - how many major conference teams remain who don’t have a center on the roster who would project to start over Somerville? I’m not familiar with every conference. I believe there is either an experienced 5 and/or a 5 star lined up already for example at every BIG school for example.

Why are you such a douch? Nobody’s trying to convince you. People ARE trying to work out what’s going on by going over the facts and different interpretations. You act like that’s a personal affront.
Yep - in response to clarification about something unrelated to boot.

You're misunderstanding. It's not personal. I don't feel affronted. With all due respect, it's just nonsense talk to me. But feel free to continue. At this point, I'm not interested.

The more appropriate question is - how many major conference teams remain who don’t have a center on the roster who would project to start over Somerville? I’m not familiar with every conference. I believe there is either an experienced 5 and/or a 5 star lined up already for example at every BIG school for example.
One last effort to help you out, but it's all I'm going to do for you. I've seen reporting that says that RU has backed off because of Sommerville's concerns about a veteran center being recruited for next year, potentially limiting Sommerville's playing time on a potentially very good team. I've seen enough of it to believe it. All you're doing is thought bubbling ideas to show that the reporting is wrong. It doesn't move me, and likely not others. But you can do it. Why? What? How? You can go through all that. But your pitch isn't landing here, and you lose to reporters in my mind. So have at it if it makes you feel good. But these off season what if Rabbit holes from the internet don't interest me. Again, enjoy them though.

One last effort to help you out, but it's all I'm going to do for you. I've seen reporting that says that RU has backed off because of Sommerville's concerns about a veteran center being recruited for next year, potentially limiting Sommerville's playing time on a potentially very good team. I've seen enough of it to believe it. All you're doing is thought bubbling ideas to show that the reporting is wrong. It doesn't move me, and likely not others. But you can do it. Why? What? How? You can go through all that. But your pitch isn't landing here, and you lose to reporters in my mind. So have at it if it makes you feel good. But these off season what if Rabbit holes from the internet don't interest me. Again, enjoy them though.
Oh great sage! Thank you for helping us! And thank you for clarifying, 10 posts in, how little this interest you….

Your putting words in my mouth. I asked a question. I don’t have access to the “report” so I never once indicated it’s wrong or attempted to interpret the report itself (I haven’t seen it!) I sure hope it is wrong though and or vague and not definitive.

And honestly, if not, and this report confirms in a crystal clear way that what you described is exactly what happened and Somerville is the reason we’re not adding a BIG transfer, well - in that case I hope the premium report is never released publicly where I would have access to view it. I don’t want to hate a kid on our team next season. I’m so excited for it. If what your saying, in the way your saying it and context, are in fact spot on and I know it - well I’m going to have a very hard time rooting for Lathan.

There’s no angle at all where that would be okay in my book. Cliff played behind an experienced center his first year. I can’t think of any center who didn’t outside of guys ranked in the top 20 or so nationally maybe. Let me add - some frosh beat out experienced guys. Thats different from starting with out any experienced competition.

TBH its pretty confusing - not sure it was failure or a conscious decision as I read in the Ogbole thread that RU stopped recruiting a big man based on demands from Lathan.
Demands from Lathan? Is he the coach now? Pike looks better if he just flat-out failed. If he’s that good, he’s one and done. And if he’s not, he’s probably in the portal after this year anyway.

Demands from Lathan? Is he the coach now? Pike looks better if he just flat-out failed. If he’s that good, he’s one and done. And if he’s not, he’s probably in the portal after this year anyway.
Especially after GG was brought in and played more than he deserved based on his performance.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Your putting words in my mouth. I asked a question. I don’t have access to the “report” so I never once indicated it’s wrong or attempted to interpret the report itself (I haven’t seen it!) I sure hope it is wrong though and or vague and not definitive.

And honestly, if not, and this report confirms in a crystal clear way that what you described is exactly what happened and Somerville is the reason we’re not adding a BIG transfer, well - in that case I hope the premium report is never released publicly where I would have access to view it. I don’t want to hate a kid on our team next season. I’m so excited for it. If what your saying, in the way your saying it and context, are in fact spot on and I know it - well I’m going to have a very hard time rooting for Lathan.

There’s no angle at all where that would be okay in my book. Cliff played behind an experienced center his first year. I can’t think of any center who didn’t outside of guys ranked in the top 20 or so nationally maybe. Let me add - some frosh beat out experienced guys. Thats different from starting with out any experienced competition.
Just an idea, maybe you all could agree to disagree instead of continuing this nonsensical back and forth.

You fellows may want to note the NJ.com article today about the Hayes commit, in which they say that RU is still looking for a center but a freshman center not a veteran. The reports re Sommerville said precisely that--he didn't want a veteran center coming in to take his minutes, but was good with a first year center who almost certainly won't be the recruit that Sommerville is. So it would be Sommerville, another freshman and some hope that Ogbole can do something. Feel free to disbelieve it or, just as likely, mold it into something that confirms all your musings.

Interested in who these professional reporters you are referring to are?

Reactions: runrutgersrun

Ask Willis. He's the one propagating that take based on what he is getting from some so far un-named Professional Reporters. I agree that is would be a bad look for Pike if he is caving to the demands of a freshman to overtly not try to make the roster better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Magoo
No ,where are the "real "press reports.
I just referenced one that, I'd guess, you'd call real press.

My experience, though, is that that "real" press doesn't know as much as or get it right in advance like the premium content folks here, but feel free to disagree. I wish that wasn't true, but it has been.

I just referenced one that, I'd guess, you'd call real press.

My experience, though, is that that "real" press doesn't know as much as or get it right in advance like the premium content folks here, but feel free to disagree. I wish that wasn't true, but it has been.

The article you referenced refers to Rutgers lagging behind in NIL. It does not reference Lathan as a reason. Guess you missed that part or conveniently chose not to divulge.

Further, you referenced putting your belief in "professional reporters" in this thread. Now in this post you are crediting "premium content folk" being the ones" in the know in the exact same sentence as saying the "real" press doesn't know as much or get it right. Which is it counselor cause you appear to be confused in conflicting your own point. LULZ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT