ADVERTISEMENT

Not adding a center?

The article you referenced refers to Rutgers lagging behind in NIL. It does not reference Lathan as a reason. Guess you missed that part or conveniently chose not to divulge.

Furthrt, you referenced putting your belief in "professional reporters" in this thread. Now in this post you are crediting "premium content folk" being the ones" in the know in the exact same sentence as saying thr "real" press doesn't know as much or get it right. Which is it counselor cause you appear to be confused in conflicting your own point. LULZ.
Your first paragraph is nonsensical. I already told you what's in the article that's consistent with what many have been reading here for weeks. Your babbling about other things just to argue wastes time.

Your second paragraph, to the extent readable, leaves out my reference to "you'd call real press" and my my quotes around "real." By doing that, you only destroy your own credibility. My experience over the last five years is that, as to college sports, nj.com doesn't get anything near the recruiting info that those who run this board get. They just don't. It's not even close, and their article today shows how far they are ordinarily behind. There's nothing new there that I haven't already read here. I'd love for nj.com to be better at it. They aren't.

Rather than badly fumbling around and misquoting to attack, make an actual point. Because I don't see one. Do you believe NJ.com has more, better and earlier recruiting information than here? If so, explain. Because it would be a ludicrous opinion.

Your first paragraph is nonsensical. I already told you what's in the article that's consistent with what many have been reading here for weeks. Your babbling about other things just to argue wastes time.

Your second paragraph, to the extent readable, leaves out my reference to "you'd call real press" and my later my quotes around "real." By doing that, you destroy your own credibility. My experience over the last five years is that, as to college sports, nj.com doesn't get anything near the recruiting info that those who run this board get. They just don't. It's not even close, and their article today shows how much far they are ordinarily behind. There's nothing new there that I haven't already read here. I'd love for nj.com to be better at it. They aren't.

Rather than badly fumbling around and misquoting to attack, make an actual point. Because I don't see one. Do you believe NJ.com has more, better and earlier recruiting information than here? If so, explain. Because it would be a ludicrous opinion.

Pretty straight forward. You're deflecting. Tell you what, link and quote the article, then we can discuss in detail.

In the meantime let me dumb it down for you....

You posted the following without a link.

You fellows may want to note the NJ.com article today about the Hayes commit, in which they say that RU is still looking for a center but a freshman center not a veteran.

I went to NJ dot com and found the piece. the article references Rutgers looking for an underclassman center. The article does not give a reason. However in that article the author references Rutgers lagging in NIL but does not reference Lathan making any demands. However you used it anyway to make some type of twisted logical rationalization to another poster in order to support your position gleaned from premium content.

Further, I'm not an advocate of NJ.com. I really try to avoid the site if possible. You are the one who brought the site into this thread - referring to them in a follow post as a "real" news source.

I just referenced one that, I'd guess, you'd call real press.

In that same post you indicated that the real press doesn't know as much or get it right .....when compared to Premium content.

In an earlier post you said the following (below). Perhaps you can explain how this is not a contradiction.

my belief in the reporting that I've read. In my eyes, professional reporters win, you lose and don't even get into the consideration.

I just referenced one that, I'd guess, you'd call real press.

My experience, though, is that that "real" press doesn't know as much as or get it right in advance like the premium content folks here, but feel free to disagree. I wish that wasn't true, but it has been.
Sorry, nothing on any message board should be accepted without complete sceptism. It's like telephone tag.

Sorry, nothing on any message board should be accepted without complete sceptism. It's like telephone tag.
I hear what you're saying, but two things: (1) it's not from posters but the folks who run the board, go to press conferences, interview and ask questions of the coaches and build relationships, and report what they find; and (2) I followed the premium stuff for a year for free before joining and saw the information they were producing, and it checked out as legit enough times to earn my dollar. They do what old time reporters used to do, but better than outlets like NJ.com are doing it now.

In that same post you indicated that the real press doesn't know as much or get it right .....when compared to Premium content.

In an earlier post you said the following (below). Perhaps you can explain how this is not a contradiction.
Is it really that difficult for you to see that those who run this board, go to press conferences, build relationships with the staff and within the industry, and have relationships with those on the many other boards run by the same company are professionals? It is their job, and at least here in NJ and in my experience they do a better job of getting information than those at nj.com. You can feel free, though, not to call them professionals. You can even feel free to be confused, but that's on you.

And, no, you can find the article on your own. My post gave enough info, and spoon feeding you is not that appealing.

Just an idea, maybe you all could agree to disagree instead of continuing this nonsensical back and forth.

Actually, I could care less about the original banter. If he wants to contend that I’m propping Ogbole up as a rising star - so be it. That was the “disagreement”. The reference to the premium content somehow got looped into that - it seemed to be inserted in an attempt to show how Somerville is way ahead of Ogbole (who was a complete afterthought) - I think? Honestly - I’m not really sure the context of why it was brought up, but yeah, I hear that and now I’m asking questions. As I previously stated - I didn’t ask for this “premium” info, but if it’s “not” fact in the way Will made it out to be, I do hope others will continue to express their interpretations of what was actually reported. Pike has never before wanted guys who were outwardly not team players. After the whole thing with Mag (regardless of what the full story on that really was, we know in the least Pike was frustrated by it) the prospect of Pike possibly allowing an incoming 4 start recruit to dictate our recruitment from the portal to minimize his competition would be disheartening. As would the idea that one of the players on our team, outwardly threatened to leave if our coaches took steps to enhance the roster with guys who might impact Somerville’s PT as a frosh.

Is it really that difficult for you to see that those who run this board, go to press conferences, build relationships with the staff and within the industry, and have relationships with those on the many other boards run by the same company are professionals? It is their job, and at least here in NJ and in my experience they do a better job of getting information than those at nj.com. You can feel free, though, not to call them professionals. You can even feel free to be confused, but that's on you.

And, no, you can find the article on your own. My post gave enough info, and spoon feeding you is not that appealing.

I have no problem with the Site Owners and whatever information they choose to divulge. But if you feel that a monthly $10 subscription provides infallible information in premium forum discussion threads, I have a bridge to sell you. Also, a proper professional reporter as you referred to them, would have not just spread the rumor but also followed up seeking quotes and response from the people impacted. Otherwise it just essentially remains hearsay.

Also, not sure why you are using NJ.com. YOU are the one who brought them to this thread and called them a real news source WHILE misrepresenting what was written in the article by conflating it with what's been written on premium. Deceitful.

You failed to respond in addressing your inconsistencies. Lazy. You sited a news source and did not link it. Lazy. You refuse to cite the source of your information - instead using the nebulous "premium content". Lazy.

You come into these threads and essentially make fun of people for being optimistic in the offseason. Despicable. When your position is challenged you deflect and make it personal. Despicable.

Honestly, given your tactics and posting style, I blame it on myself for engaging you. I should have known better than to expect a real back and forth with someone like you.

I'm done here with you. Feel free to get in the last word. With the deceitful, lazy and despicable style you've shown, I'm confident you're response will be great.

I have no problem with the Site Owners and whatever information they choose to divulge. But if you feel that a monthly $10 subscription provides infallible information in premium forum discussion threads, I have a bridge to sell you. Also, a proper professional reporter as you referred to them, would have not just spread the rumor but also followed up seeking quotes and response from the people impacted. Otherwise it just essentially remains hearsay.

Also, not sure why you are using NJ.com. YOU are the one who brought them to this thread and called them a real news source WHILE misrepresenting what was written in the article by conflating it with what's been written on premium. Deceitful.

You failed to respond in addressing your inconsistencies. Lazy. You sited a news source and did not link it. Lazy. You refuse to cite the source of your information - instead using the nebulous "premium content". Lazy.

You come into these threads and essentially make fun of people for being optimistic in the offseason. Despicable. When your position is challenged you deflect and make it personal. Despicable.

Honestly, given your tactics and posting style, I blame it on myself for engaging you. I should have known better than to expect a real back and forth with someone like you.

I'm done here with you. Feel free to get in the last word. With the deceitful, lazy and despicable style you've shown, I'm confident you're response will be great.

Thank you for posting this. Just to confirm, do you know that the “premium” article did not have supporting quotes to back up what he said? Or are you not premium either and just guessing?

Again, I don’t give a crap about the original back and forth on Ogbole. We’ll find out what he can do next season.

But this Somerville thing opens a huge, unrelated Pandora’s box for those of us who don’t have access to the “Premium” article to form our own view. I didn’t ask for this information - but it doesn’t seem fair to this kid for clarification not to be provided now that someone has chosen to present whatever was reported in this light, in the event the original report is open to interpretation.

Thank you for posting this. Just to confirm, do you know that the “premium” article did not have supporting quotes to back up what he said? Or are you not premium either and just guessing?

Again, I don’t give a crap about the original back and forth on Ogbole. We’ll find out what he can do next season.

But this Somerville thing opens a huge, unrelated Pandora’s box for those of us who don’t have access to the “Premium” article to form our own view. I didn’t ask for this information - but it doesn’t seem fair to this kid for clarification not to be provided now that someone has chosen to present whatever was reported in this light, in the event the original report is open to interpretation.
These are coming from sources within and around the program.

No one is going to Lathan directly and asking the question because they know he won't answer it and it will anger the coaches. These guys have to walk a fine line even though Pike allows way more access than Greg.

havent followed this thread or the latest rumors...can someone give me a cliff notes version on this

Sure - Willianever posted that on premium there is a report confirming that we decided not to bring in a Big Man from the transfer portal because Somerville threatened to leave if we did.

The original back and forth banter was about Ogbole - the usual off season disagreement stuff about what he may or may not be capable of based on what he showed last season. Never mind that - unimportant now relative to the raising of this Somerville thing - but that’s the background on how it came up. In support of his point that Somerville will clearly be ahead of Ogbole based on this decision being made around him and Ogbole a clear afterthought. Something like that.

Last edited:
havent followed this thread or the latest rumors...can someone give me a cliff notes version on this
These guys come up with new ways to create drama around a particular player. Now it's that lathan Somerville told the coaches not to add a veteran big. But my thing is all this comes out after they strike out on all the good portal centers. Lol maybe it's true maybe it's not but who did they have ready to sign that lead to Somerville telling them not to? I guess it's on the subscription board. I don't deal with drama like this but I guess it will make for a dramatic read over there.

Reactions: IMARUFAN
These guys come up with new ways to create drama around a particular player. Now it's that lathan Somerville told the coaches not to add a veteran big. But my thing is all this comes out after they strike out on all the good portal centers. Lol maybe it's true maybe it's not but who did they have ready to sign that lead to Somerville telling them not to? I guess it's on the subscription board. I don't deal with drama like this but I guess it will make for a dramatic read over there.
Also, I trust that Richie has good sources. But as PSAL said, the devil is in the details and it's hard to interpret what was actually said vs Willisnever's spin. Lathan talks to Pike. Somehow that filters to someone in the AD that talks to Richie. Richie interprets and posts to message board. Willis shares his interpretation of that here. Given how pompous and belligerent Willis is, it's hard to take his info straight up.

Too many steps of the telephone game for that to be conclusive to me.

I will say this, the Star Ledger reporters like Fonseca have rules that they have to get important information confirmed to two sources and then an editor checks it etc. I think Richie accurately relays what he hears and his sources are good. But it's not the same checks and balances as the traditional print media reporters.

But now people are forming judgements about Somerville based on this hearsay.

Also, I trust that Richie has good sources. But as PSAL said, the devil is in the details and it's hard to interpret what was actually said vs Willisnever's spin. Lathan talks to Pike. Somehow that filters to someone in the AD that talks to Richie. Richie interprets and posts to message board. Willis shares his interpretation of that here. Given how pompous and belligerent Willis is, it's hard to take his info straight up.

Too many steps of the telephone game for that to be conclusive to me.

I will say this, the Star Ledger reporters like Fonseca have rules that they have to get important information confirmed to two sources and then an editor checks it etc. I think Richie accurately relays what he hears and his sources are good. But it's not the same checks and balances as the traditional print media reporters.

But now people are forming judgements about Somerville based on this hearsay.

Yeah - I agree. I want to know what was said because I don’t want to have a bias against this kid. I’m going to have a hard time rooting for him if this crap doesn’t get shot down. Not recruiting an experienced portal center could literally be the difference between a deep March Madness tourney run and one and done at best.

But I don’t want access to the report badly enough to risk being sucked into endless football recruiting strings to find out the lastest guy to include us on his list of 15. I deliberately avoid the premium free trials for this reason.

This morphed into a baffling download of your dislike of premium content sprinkled with the results of your inability to locate a publicly available article and then declare it non-existent. OK. I'll take your invitation to have the last word: Have a nice day.

I am totally confused! I don't have premium because of the current events board. Is this article only available on premium, or is it available elsewhere? Thanks in advance

I am totally confused! I don't have premium because of the current events board. Is this article only available on premium, or is it available elsewhere? Thanks in advance
Bob, there's really no need to follow this. Generally, there's a recent nj.com article that says certain things that were consistent with earlier premium content, the content of which was relevant to a discussion in this thread about how RU should handle the center position. It's a tired discussion, and you're better off moving on. I am.

Bob, there's really no need to follow this. Generally, there's a recent nj.com article that says certain things that were consistent with earlier premium content, the content of which was relevant to a discussion in this thread about how RU should handle the center position. It's a tired discussion, and you're better off moving on. I am.
Thanks so much! I will avoid this thread.

Reactions: willisneverrana43
One last effort to help you out, but it's all I'm going to do for you. I've seen reporting that says that RU has backed off because of Sommerville's concerns about a veteran center being recruited for next year, potentially limiting Sommerville's playing time on a potentially very good team. I've seen enough of it to believe it. All you're doing is thought bubbling ideas to show that the reporting is wrong. It doesn't move me, and likely not others. But you can do it. Why? What? How? You can go through all that. But your pitch isn't landing here, and you lose to reporters in my mind. So have at it if it makes you feel good. But these off season what if Rabbit holes from the internet don't interest me. Again, enjoy them though.
We did not get a transfer portal center worth a damn because of our inability to raise any significant NIL money. There is nothing more to see here. If we had money for a player we would have gotten Clifford to stay and he would have probably given us a discount as he did Alabama. He loved it here.

Not possible. Doesn’t fit with the following narratives:

1) RU has no NIL $ to attract talent
2) LS vigorously disapproves
3) All talented centers in the portal are gone
4) Coach Pike continues to wiff with the transfer portal
5) Cliff is the only piece RU needed to make a run in the tournament.
6) RU can’t get another legit big man

So much for the stories some tell.

GO RU

Projected 99% to RU. this completes the puzzle and makes us a final four contender. Good rebounder and shot blocker. And 7' doesn't hurt. Pike played the portal very, very well. Only problem will be how to give everyone sufficient minutes.

Projected 99% to RU. this completes the puzzle and makes us a final four contender. Good rebounder and shot blocker. And 7' doesn't hurt. Pike played the portal very, very well. Only problem will be how to give everyone sufficient minutes.
This isn’t about “everyone” any longer. Players no longer show loyalty. ..they are paid athletes. Playtime is earned..not promised. It’s a whole new ball game.

Wonderful news. I can’t decide if I’ll be happier about the portal commitment or confirmation that the Somerville rumor was a pile of crap.

How much credibility does that write have concerning RU basketball? 🤔 🤔 🤔
The College Basketball site has 58K followers on X. So I guess it is established as a legitimate site. The #7 player on the list just committed to Tennessee as predicted.

Who cares. Half this team is gone next season no matter what. The one place where there is a crunch is at center where we might have 3 with multiple years of eligibility. But use this season to figure out which are the best two. Allow the third to transfer and bring in a freshman or a backup from the portal.

This morphed into a baffling download of your dislike of premium content sprinkled with the results of your inability to locate a publicly available article and then declare it non-existent. OK. I'll take your invitation to have the last word: Have a nice day.
So according to you this means Somerville is decommitting?

So according to you this means Somerville is decommitting?
Always the simple view.

My understanding from the same place that you don't credit is that this is outdated news, meaning from before Sommerville voiced his concern and RU backed off.

So we get a real life test of its reliability. Let's see how it goes.

Always the simple view.

My understanding from the same place that you don't credit is that this is outdated news, meaning from before Sommerville voiced his concern and RU backed off.

So we get a real life test of its reliability. Let's see how it goes.
I never said I don't credit Richie and co. I just haven't seen it myself. You are my only source since I don't have premium and can't interpret it with my own eyes. I doubt you. But if it is old news, that's a huge bummer.

In edit: always with the pretentious condescending unnecessary insult. Try to grow as a human.

Last edited:
Stop struggling to bleed. You raised a dead thread with a big assumption and a question to me that was a shot across the bow. There's no way you would expect or get a warm hug. And you didn't get one.

I am, however, interested to see how this news works out.

Stop struggling to bleed. You raised a dead thread with a big assumption and a question to me that was a shot across the bow. There's no way you would expect or get a warm hug. And you didn't get one.

I am, however, interested to see how this news works out.
I didn't raise a dead thread. Someone posted some seemingly great news that a center commit was imminent. I did drag up your info that contradicts it. Instead of a straight answer you called me simple. It seems you can't help it.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops
The College Basketball site has 58K followers on X. So I guess it is established as a legitimate site. The #7 player on the list just committed to Tennessee as predicted.
I was referring to the Rutgerswire writer…lol.

If he has to use another site to source his info, then it’s telling you that he has no idea how they arrived at it or how current their information is.

Should that player leave the NBA draft, why would you believe that suddenly RU is going to reverse course and recruit someone with experience other than you refuse to believe the situation that’s been communicated?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT