ADVERTISEMENT

Not adding a center?

I didn't raise a dead thread. Someone posted some seemingly great news that a center commit was imminent. I did drag up your info that contradicts it. Instead of a straight answer you called me simple. It seems you can't help it.

Yeah - I agree it needed to be bumped so that when the dust settles with our last roster spot, the folks who entered the thread late know exactly what was said that set off this fire alarm.

But that’s it now. I meant it when I said I really could care less about the original discussion. I just want to be able to root for Somerville. That would’ve been very hard for me if I thought there was a chance the rumor was true.

Reactions: Eagleton96
I was referring to the Rutgerswire writer…lol.

If he has to use another site to source his info, then it’s telling you that he has no idea how they arrived at it or how current their information is.

Should that player leave the NBA draft, why would you believe that suddenly RU is going to reverse course and recruit someone with experience other than you refuse to believe the situation that’s been communicated?
Pretty clear that he is simply repeating what the College Basketball Report is predicting.
That is why I commented on the site and not
Dyer.

Projected 99% to RU. this completes the puzzle and makes us a final four contender. Good rebounder and shot blocker. And 7' doesn't hurt. Pike played the portal very, very well. Only problem will be how to give everyone sufficient minutes.
Ogbole isn’t ready for major minutes IMO and Lathan may be more of a 4 than a 5 and someone has to be a rim protector.

Ogbole isn’t ready for major minutes IMO and Lathan may be more of a 4 than a 5 and someone has to be a rim protector.
Interesting. Lathan seems like he has all the tools to be a great 4. Range, ball handling, and throwing his weight around in the post. Put him next to a player like Ugonna Onyenso with Ace at the 3...look out.

I don’t see it either, maybe in the 1980’s. I just don’t see him being able to guard guys on the perimeter
I see defense as a potential problem overall and bringing in a 7 foot shot blocker to play 20 minutes would be awesome. If Ogbole is at 10 minutes then that’s 10 for Lathan at the 5. I’m trying to find minutes for Lathan in that scenario and it seems to me there are plenty of minutes at the four up for grabs and I’m not sure “Gibson” Martini is a great defender away from the basket either.

I see defense as a potential problem overall and bringing in a 7 foot shot blocker to play 20 minutes would be awesome. If Ogbole is at 10 minutes then that’s 10 for Lathan at the 5. I’m trying to find minutes for Lathan in that scenario and it seems to me there are plenty of minutes at the four up for grabs and I’m not sure “Gibson” Martini is a great defender away from the basket either.
It's going to be Martini, Hayes at the 4 and with a little bit of Ace and Grant.

Ordinarily I would agree. But we haven't seen him play for RU, so hard to really say for sure what he will be and thrive at.
Then you should be penciling him in a 2 since he was a guard most of his life before a huge growth spurt.

You knew here or were you in a coma the last two off seasons when we had threads about Reiber and Woolfolk should be the starting 4.
I remember. I just wouldn’t have thought to compare those two with Lathan. Whatever those two did at the four has zero to do with what Lathan would do.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU-05
Then you should be penciling him in a 2 since he was a guard most of his life before a huge growth spurt.

You must be a program insider. Have you seen Lathan play with RU with all the new guys? Be good to get your insight on how he played at the 5 with the rest of new team and rotation and how that compares to Rieber and Woolf - the recent other players that perhaps a handful of posters here obsessed over changing positions. Then we can all have a discussion expressing our opinions on how he might fit or flex in the lineup.

You must be a program insider. Have you seen Lathan play with RU with all the new guys? Be good to get your insight on how he played at the 5 with the rest of new team and rotation and how that compares to Rieber and Woolf - the recent other players that perhaps a handful of posters here obsessed over changing positions. Then we can all have a discussion expressing our opinions on how he might fit or flex in the lineup.

For next year, it’s probably not relevant. The question is going to be mostly about his defense. He’s a frosh. One not known for defense. That doesn’t mean he won’t learn to emphasize it, but how quickly? There’s usually a learning curve at the 5. If it’s the Serbian that we take at the 5, he’ll have the same issue. The UK kid may not have lived up to his projection on offense, but he played 18 mpg against top competition and his defensive numbers were rock solid. For center, given the surrounding cast next year, defense is what matters. Hopefully we are selling that kid on a starting role off the bat.

LOL, you haven’t seen Lathan play with the team either but you’re pushing your agenda here like it has some validity.

The team currently has two bigs on the roster, even if they add a third do you really think Pike can risk getting the kid in foul trouble when he has four other guys that can play there?

LOL, you haven’t seen Lathan play with the team either but you’re pushing your agenda here like it has some validity.

The team currently has two bigs on the roster, even if they add a third do you really think Pike can risk getting the kid in foul trouble when he has four other guys that can play there?

I have no agenda. I basically said from the start that we have not seen him play yet with the team so there is no way to know definitively. He may be only a center, but he may also have other optionality. For instance may be able to flex between center on O but a 4 on D or vice versa. I'm flexible to the idea of discussion without being shouted down by your pre-concieved notions and confirmation bias.

For next year, it’s probably not relevant. The question is going to be mostly about his defense. He’s a frosh. One not known for defense. That doesn’t mean he won’t learn to emphasize it, but how quickly? There’s usually a learning curve at the 5. If it’s the Serbian that we take at the 5, he’ll have the same issue. The UK kid may not have lived up to his projection on offense, but he played 18 mpg against top competition and his defensive numbers were rock solid. For center, given the surrounding cast next year, defense is what matters. Hopefully we are selling that kid on a starting role off the bat.

I agree with everything here. The only thing to add is that it may very well be that Lathan is only here for one year - so we should be used for his strengths. As you point out, that may not be D as a 5.

I’m a bit confused… so the potential big guy transfer is old news? It looks fresh to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

I agree with everything here. The only thing to add is that it may very well be that Lathan is only here for one year - so we should be used for his strengths. As you point out, that may not be D as a 5.
My only point in bringing it up is note that if Lathan is worried about PT if we bring in the Kentucky center, he could pick up some play at the 4.

I know there are some that say no way LS can play 4, but I'm not sure, in certain ways he plays more like a stretch 4.

I guess where I’m coming from is based on what has been reported, defense is not this kid’s strength. If his D is better than expected, he’ll likely play a ton at the 5 and PT wouldn’t be an issue in the first place. Martini is a super senior veteran. My expectation is for him to play mostly 4 and Ace may slide over there for 10 minutes or so. It’d be a big surprise is Somerville’s defense comes in close to where Martini’s is currently at.

Anyone who doesn't think Lathan can play the 4 should watch some of his games. I don't mean just highlights.

He can dribble, shoot from distance and is an excellent passer. I've seen him dribble between his legs, spin and hit a 10 footer. Don't know how many centers can do that.

Of course he'll play mostly center. My point is, if Pike wants to go big on occasion, Ogbule can play center with Lathan at the 4. Toss in Ace (SG), Dylan (PG) and Martini (SF) and good luck outrebounding that group.

Between the Legs, Spin, Shoot:

Passing:

Get a block, run the court, pass. Who needs guards?

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't think Lathan can play the 4 should watch some of his games. I don't mean just highlights.

He can dribble, shoot from distance and is an excellent passer. I've seen him dribble between his legs, spin and hit a 10 footer. Don't know how many centers can do that.

Of course he'll play mostly center. My point is, if Pike wants to go big on occasion, Ogbule can play center with Lathan at the 4. Toss in Ace (SG), Dylan (PG) and Martini (SF) and good luck outrebounding that group.

Passing:

Would be hilarious if Lathan wound up at PG. Just try breaking through his offhand shield while he’s yo-yo-ing da rock ya’ll!

I guess where I’m coming from is based on what has been reported, defense is not this kid’s strength. If his D is better than expected, he’ll likely play a ton at the 5 and PT wouldn’t be an issue in the first place. Martini is a super senior veteran. My expectation is for him to play mostly 4 and Ace may slide over there for 10 minutes or so. It’d be a big surprise is Somerville’s defense comes in close to where Martini’s is currently at.
I would agree with that, I don't expect much from LS defensively this year.

Passing:

Yeah, I was more in the camp of listening to those that said he was purely a 5 until going down a little rabbit hole of LS video recently. I still think he's not ready for big minutes at center, but it's his logical starting point. His strengths, may play more to a 4 now though.
I think a similar model for this team, maybe with different strengths, but in terms of size, is the Jared Sullinger freshman year OSU. Pretty much every guy had decent length, Aaron Craft ran the show, and they did D up despite not having a rim protector. Also, seven guys had PER'S over 15, give you an idea how impressive that is, Zach Martini's career PER is under 13, and he seems efficient. If we can get shooting anywhere close to that teams, it could be a great season.

I know there are some that say no way LS can play 4, but I'm not sure, in certain ways he plays more like a stretch 4.
Other than concerns at D, and the fact that he's beefy enough to bang at the 5, his game and skillset on O seem more like a 4.

We will see how Lathan and Martini do. Martini seems to make the most out of what he has, but Lathan is bigger and quicker. He could be great.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
It's going to be Martini, Hayes at the 4 and with a little bit of Ace and Grant.
Hayes at the 4… Could be for short stints with a small ball lineup but the dude averaged 3 rebounds a game last year. I’ll go out on a limb and say Lathan plays more 4 than Purple “Rain-in’ Treys” Hayes does.

• Haha
Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Hayes at the 4… Could be for short stints with a small ball lineup but the dude averaged 3 rebounds a game last year. I’ll go out on a limb and say Lathan plays more 4 than Purple “Rain-in’ Treys” Hayes does.

Problem with Lathan at the 4 is it disrupts the "3 guard lineup" we are presumably using.
I'd imagine Lathan would play minimal minutes alongside Ogbole or another Center.

Center, Lathan, Ace, Dylan, JWill
That puts Acuff and the rest of the bench there is nobody creating space for Ace/Dylan by being an outside threat.

I'm a broken record, but if Lathan is at the 4, I'd bench JWill for Hayes or Acuff.

Problem with Lathan at the 4 is it disrupts the "3 guard lineup" we are presumably using.
I'd imagine Lathan would play minimal minutes alongside Ogbole or another Center.

Center, Lathan, Ace, Dylan, JWill
That puts Acuff and the rest of the bench there is nobody creating space for Ace/Dylan by being an outside threat.

I'm a broken record, but if Lathan is at the 4, I'd bench JWill for Hayes or Acuff.
I thought Lathan shot 40+% from 3pt in HS

Other than concerns at D, and the fact that he's beefy enough to bang at the 5, his game and skillset on O seem more like a 4.

We will see how Lathan and Martini do. Martini seems to make the most out of what he has, but Lathan is bigger and quicker. He could be great.
It may be unusual for RU to have a big that can shoot from range and dribble but it's not uncommon elsewhere.

There are enough guys that can play the spot that Pike isn't moving his starting center there. You guys love to do this stuff every off season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT