ADVERTISEMENT

Not Rutgers related but general college wrestling related

matter7172

Sophomore
Nov 14, 2012
Penn State sold out Bryce Jordan Center yesterday for their dual against Iowa. If I have the info straight, the tickets never even made it to general public sales. Between the head-start to season ticket holders (6000 plus people) and their opportunity to purchase additional tickets on pre-sale and pre-sale to Nittany Lion Club members, tickets were gone by the time the Nittany Lion Club members got their shots in. I never expected tickets to go that fast, honestly. Good for college wrestling, though. I'm waiting for major television coverage to help grow the sport and this kind of thing doesn't hurt.

In addition, Lehigh will probably get their record attendance for their dual with Penn State at the PPL Center in Allentown, PA (PPL capacity is ~2500 > Stabler).

A few places (Ohio State and Oklahoma State) got record crowds last year, as did Rutgers (which you already knew), so good news all around in the last two seasons.

Reactions: Clearscreen25
The sport is building itself up to pass women's basketball in overall popularity and following. People are realizing it could be a revenue positive sport.

The sport is building itself up to pass women's basketball in overall popularity and following. People are realizing it could be a revenue positive sport.
i think we are already there in popularity, unfortunately mens and womens basketball garner tv revenues which makes Mens revenue positive, and womens possibly close to a small positive. We are not.

The problem in college wrestling is that after you get past the top 8 or so schools in average attendance per match, the drop off is pretty steep. Only 7 schools even broke 2,000 match, and only 19 broke 1,000. Still a niche sport in some regards.

http://news.theopenmat.com/college-...-wrestling-dual-attendance-15-year-high/62725

In WBB , over 50 schools broke 2,000 compared to Wrestling's 7.

Top wbb attendance was S. Carolina w over 14,000
compared to Penn St 7,800 . The link above shows Iowa with about 9,800 but that included the football game match that showed 42,000. Same helped bump RU's average.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/w_basketball_RB/reports/Attend/2016.pdf

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Remember we only started this journey 10 yrs. ago. This sport at RU was on the chopping block and dead to rights. It was that close to us only knowing Rutgers wrestling as a distant memory. We've come a long way and just last year are finally getting full support. Hell I even have to remind myself of that from time to time when my expectations get too high and we don't meet them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clearscreen25
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT