ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Eyeing Big Ten

Seems to me ND saw what the B1G is getting TV wise and is now interested.

ACC realizes this, so is acting faster on a TV network..

Kind of a weird tweet, but found it interesting

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I don't want them in but on the flip side i know what they bring in ALL sports.......they need to have the same stipulations nebraska,terps & we faced along with ending that relationship with nbc

Conference expansion rumors are starting up and ND to the B1G is one of the usual suspects along with Big 12 expanding.
As for ND leaving the ACC because of the ACC starting their own network and how it would affect ND, I believe ND would switch their other sports to the Big East and negotiate a little better payout for their Football TV rights from NBC. Right now it expires in 2025 and football brings in $15 million a year. What the ACC ( or) BE adds to that in TV rights paying out for ND's other sports adds to that $15 million and might be enough to keep ND FB independent.
I think ND still holds a lot of power in football decisions by the NCAA and P-5 Conferences , which they would lose by bringing their FB program into the B1G or any other conference.

There are rumors ( again) about the Big 12 thinking about that they need to expand.
>It's believed seven of the 10 schools favor expansion. But Big 12 bylaws call for a super majority vote of 75 percent (so at least eight schools) to make a major change. Texas is believed to be influencing Texas Tech's and Texas Christian's decisions to also be reluctant to expansion.<
http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2016/5/3/11576606/byu-football-big-12-expansion-texas-tcu-memphis

Last edited:
The big ten contract and return is an eye opener to even Norte dame and their cherished football independence

Brando also speculated the reason ESPN didn't go all in on B1G rights is because they're using the resources to start an ACC network (makes some sense).

I'm sure its been posted many times, but does someone know when ND's NBC contract runs out. Also, what are the payouts of NBC v ACC v B1G for ND potentially?

Brando also speculated the reason ESPN didn't go all in on B1G rights is because they're using the resources to start an ACC network (makes some sense).
If ESPN loses most or all of their B1G games, and moves a bunch of ACC games to an ACC network (after they have already moved some games to the SECN), what is going to carry the ESPNU channel, the Sun Belt conference?

I don't want them in but on the flip side i know what they bring in ALL sports.......they need to have the same stipulations nebraska,terps & we faced along with ending that relationship with nbc
As much as I agree with you, I doubt it would happen. ND is just a special case in college sports, especially football. They already rake money in with their own deals and I cannot see them even taking a one year stipulation on getting full shares. I also think the BIG would want them so much that they would accommodate them.
But, as much as it would probably be great for the BIG, I still HATE them!

Reactions: jmg75
Another deceiving thread title. How does "(Brando) keeping an eye on Notre Dame" become "Notre Dame eyeing Big Ten"?

Not really. "Big Ten remains an option for ND. "Pretty clear that means ND is keeping an eye on the Big Ten.

I think we are going to hear a lot of crazy rumors over the next few years. But likely no real action other than perhaps the Big 12 adding a few schools from outside the P5 Conferences. Everyone else is pretty much locked in due to their GOR's and I just don't see how they actually make a move (SEC doesn't have a GOR, but those teams aren't likely candidates to leave regardless). Once those tv deals get closer to their expiration, you will see a final round of realignment take place on a significant level. I think once that happens, the conferences will look much closer to their desired end states (likely something along the lines of 4 conferences of 16 teams each). Really doubt we see any movement of existing P5 teams before then though.

Not really. "Big Ten remains an option for ND. "Pretty clear that means ND is keeping an eye on the Big Ten.

I take it that Brando is keeping an eye on ND because of the ACC Network and he's implying full membership in the B1G is an option if they leave the ACC.

Sounds to me like Brando is kinda "spitballin' here. Not like they AREN'T an option, at almost any time, so making a statement as such really isn't a big deal. Not exactly "substance-filled."
I agree with this. Wasn't it reported just last fall that ESPN was looking to delay the ACC Network a couple years until they could be sure of it's profitability at the outset like with the SECN. ESPN is still a very successful network despite all hoopla of cord cutting but it has to be wiser in how it uses its dollars now. They can't be spendthrift any more. I have a hard time believing an ACC network takes priority over losing B10 rights by under bidding by any significant number. The B10 package is a premier sports package, the ACC Network is an endeavor where it's uncertain what kind of carriage fee and how much penetration you can actually obtain especially in this cord cutting environment. If they have to deploy their resources more judiciously, I'm more likely to suspect it'll be towards the B10 bid over an ACC network. Maybe they have enough resources for both, I don't know. But if they have to choose I don't think there is a choice. I believe if they don't start a network it was said ESPN would owe the ACC a couple million more per school. That could be more cost effective for them too, who knows.

As to ND, when there was all the debate a handful of years ago about realignment I said I thought there was a good chance ND would join a conference in the next 20 years or so. I just think with the playoffs/expansion and such the conferences are eventually going to force them to join one of them and the days of independence will be over. Now is it the B10/ACC, I don't know.

It isn't rocket science. Clearly the acc revenue, even with their own network, won't reach nearly the level of the B1G contract.

ND has two options. Join the big dog league and all the riches that come with or stay independent in football and keep their Olympic sports in the acc.

The value of the B1G contract would certainly increase even more than it already has with ND in the fold.

Or they will stay independent. One thing they will never do is move their football program to the acc. Though it would increase the acc network's value, it would still be less than what it would be if they were a B1G member.

We all dislike ND. But we would take them in a heartbeat into the conference. For all sports only, obviously.

I have no idea of the validity of the Brando comments.

However, Notre Dame always looking at its options would not be unusual.

His comments on an ACC Network being created in the near term are positive developments if true.

One thing that is certain is that the Big 12 will not have a Network as long as the LHN exists.

Texas giving up $15 million per year with increases doesn't seem likely.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

It isn't rocket science. Clearly the acc revenue, even with their own network, won't reach nearly the level of the B1G contract.

ND has two options. Join the big dog league and all the riches that come with or stay independent in football and keep their Olympic sports in the acc.

The value of the B1G contract would certainly increase even more than it already has with ND in the fold.

Or they will stay independent. One thing they will never do is move their football program to the acc. Though it would increase the acc network's value, it would still be less than what it would be if they were a B1G member.

We all dislike ND. But we would take them in a heartbeat into the conference. For all sports only, obviously.
If and when they join a conference, I wouldn't rule out the ACC. Yes they would likely make more money in the B10 but I don't think money is the only driving factor for a school like them. They would make a lot of money in either league and they get plenty of private donations as well. I wouldn't rule out influence and they'd certainly have more influence in the ACC as opposed to the B10. Just think of Texas and the B12, for now at least. They might have more influence on scheduling parameters, distribution of network money, etc... Maybe somewhere down the line the ACC goes the way the old BE did where some of the bigger dogs got bigger pieces of the pie to keep them satiated and in the league. Who knows. As far as east coast exposure, they obviously get that up and down the coast with the ACC but they get 2 large markets with us and Maryland. Maybe some better recruiting exposure in the south with the ACC. I do think they will join a conference somewhere down the line but I can't say which.

When the delta between the haves and have nots starts to get to epic proportions, don't kid yourself, money matters.

ND isn't joining a conference which is getting $15MM a year less than the gold standard.

Reactions: ruready07
When the delta between the haves and have nots starts to get to epic proportions, don't kid yourself, money matters.

ND isn't joining a conference which is getting $15MM a year less than the gold standard.
Is Texas getting that much less than the B10 when you include the LHN? They're the big dog in the B12 and they still make money that's on par with the top money makers in college. I wouldn't expect any different from ND if they join the ACC. Like I said who's to say they wouldn't stipulate some revenue sweetener in how the money is split as a condition of joining. Maybe they take a larger share of revenue from a possible ACC network. Who knows. Point is they just need to be in the vicinity, not necessarily #1, of the top revenue earners in college and they likely would be regardless of league.

ACC needs to be a bit careful. Times are changing with the cable and satellite companies and I'm not sure they can count on the basic tier access that is the bread and butter of these big money deal packages. Their content is not as strong.

I'm sure its been posted many times, but does someone know when ND's NBC contract runs out. Also, what are the payouts of NBC v ACC v B1G for ND potentially?

Notre Dame is signed with NBC through 2025 and will pay them $15 million per season. They signed a 10-year extension in 2013 that will begin this upcoming football season.

As much as I hate them, they would make the big ten tv rights that much more valuable, benefiting rutgers. Might also lead to a division shake up giving rutgers a slightly easier division depending on how it is broken up.
And why would we want an easier division that makes zero sense

Reactions: ruready07
As much as I hate them, they would make the big ten tv rights that much more valuable, benefiting rutgers. Might also lead to a division shake up giving rutgers a slightly easier division depending on how it is broken up.

Nope. They'd place ND in the "easy" division with longtime local rivals Northwestern and Purdue. An ND vs Michigan or ND vs Ohio State big ten championship game would be a ratings wet dream for the big ten.

Hate ND dont want them. Stupid they didn't join the first 2 times around

Is Texas getting that much less than the B10 when you include the LHN? They're the big dog in the B12 and they still make money that's on par with the top money makers in college. I wouldn't expect any different from ND if they join the ACC. Like I said who's to say they wouldn't stipulate some revenue sweetener in how the money is split as a condition of joining. Maybe they take a larger share of revenue from a possible ACC network. Who knows. Point is they just need to be in the vicinity, not necessarily #1, of the top revenue earners in college and they likely would be regardless of league.

Is Uva and Unc going to go along with that sort of arrangement just to make ND happy? It's one thing allowing their Olympic sports in to rape the conference while their football team collects it's own fortune separately. It's another do allow them to do that while in their conference.

I am guessing there is a play to be had if NBC gets involved with the B1G negotiations, which there are reports out there of. That would help grease the wheels to add Notre Dame to the stable.

If ESPN loses most or all of their B1G games, and moves a bunch of ACC games to an ACC network (after they have already moved some games to the SECN), what is going to carry the ESPNU channel, the Sun Belt conference?

well they are pretty fond of the AAC

Is Uva and Unc going to go along with that sort of arrangement just to make ND happy? It's one thing allowing their Olympic sports in to rape the conference while their football team collects it's own fortune separately. It's another do allow them to do that while in their conference.

I am guessing there is a play to be had if NBC gets involved with the B1G negotiations, which there are reports out there of. That would help grease the wheels to add Notre Dame to the stable.
UNC no, UVA maybe. I think it would be something like the old BE if it were to happen, where there was a little bit of a hierarchical revenue share. Say ND/FSU/UNC and maybe a Clemson. So there could be a group of bigger dogs and even maybe tiers within that big dog group. Yes no one would want to be run roughshod over but if it has to do with survival than you do what you have to do. Do you think some B12 members like what Texas does? Not likely, but they accept it because they are better off financially with Texas in than they are if they left. Same idea for the ACC if it came to that.

I think ND will join somewhere eventually but I still don't see any major movement until these GORs are near expiration. The B12 being the soonest. I think ND is part of the ACC GOR as a partial member. You can say a GOR can be broken but forget about the legal ramifications. I just don't think generally conservative BOGs of schools want to deal with any drawn out legal/financial battle and would rather just wait til near expiration to make a move.

I believe the way their TV deal works, ESPN owns all the rights, and then sells 2 packages of games to Raycom for Syndication. Those packages of games consist of 30 games. ACC also had 3 games which aired on ESPNews and 16 games on ESPN3. Not saying those games are great, but 45 football games is enough to build a network around.

One thing that is certain is that the Big 12 will not have a Network as long as the LHN exists.

Texas giving up $15 million per year with increases doesn't seem likely.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
When Texas joins the B1G, then the BIG XII will have its network. The LHN will become the No Horn Network.

What cracks me up is that Purple Book Cat whatever Dude from Northwestern may end up being right. He said ND and Texas to B1G. (he did make it up, and he had it as #13 and #14, but funny none the less)

I only know what I've read here but I've believed for a while that ND to the B1G is a forgone conclusion. It is just a matter of when. Maybe it's just me but giving up their independence has to have a price tag. I don't see them leaving potentially tens of millions a year on the table.

I would watch the negotiations for the other 50% of the B1G TV package. If NBCSN is a major player it could indicate it's being seriously discussed as they could merge the 2 deals.

Seems to me the ACC TV contract would be for HUGE money. I mean, after all, they have Syracuse!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT