ADVERTISEMENT

Nova Tells Laviano to Tune Out Scarlet Nation

For me Nova's claim to fame is throwing for 400 yards and 3 touchdowns against Michigan for our first big ten victory

What's your claim to fame?
Really? That's what people remember about Gary Nova? I just took an informal poll at work about what they remember about Gary Nova, and the 2 guys who knew who Gary Nova is said "Stupid interceptions...that's what he did".

how about this theory....Flood promised Russo the starting job next year and that's why he is starting Laviano with the idea that Rettig transfers and Laviano gets easily passed by Russo

Reactions: lighty
how about this theory....Flood promised Russo the starting job next year and that's why he is starting Laviano with the idea that Rettig transfers and Laviano gets easily passed by Russo
Has been floated many times.Flood sure seems to be showing Rettig the door.Too bad he didn't play in the Catholic League or he might have been the placeholder.

Really? That's what people remember about Gary Nova? I just took an informal poll at work about what they remember about Gary Nova, and the 2 guys who knew who Gary Nova is said "Stupid interceptions...that's what he did".

Shocker, you work with similar people as you.

I'm guessing it isn't Google.

Yeah, it was the whole Ryan Cubit / Ted Trump thing. That pissing match was pretty much exactly the same as the current Laviano / Rettig pissing match. As I recall Cubit, a freshman, started over Trump (jr.) Schiano's first year (2001) but Trump started the first game against Buffalo, was awful and Schiano made a switch. Hilarity ensued. In '02, he decided to start Trump over Cubit, who then transferred to Western Michigan - taking with him his customized NJ license plates reading "EXIT9QB". Also his father.

Cubit "beat out" Chad Schwenk. EXIT9QB was Chad Schwenks, fitted on a chhrysler PT Cruiser, and he transferred to one of the PA schools.

Cubit "beat out" Chad Schwenk. EXIT9QB was Chad Schwenks, fitted on a chhrysler PT Cruiser, and he transferred to one of the PA schools.

Yeah, it was a long time ago. I totally forgot about Schwenk.

I have to admit I spit up my seltzer water laughing so hard. I can laugh. I mowed lawns on weekends after graduation for two years, while working on Wall St during the week.

(Still laughing,but I appreciate anyone who hustles in life)

If you bothered to read the rest of his posts in this thread the jab at Nova was not meant to be funny. I was a put down....and a very curious one at that given Nova's senior season and the fact that he was not a 4 or 5 Star recruit.

Perserverence and overcoming adversity counts more in my book than the fact that he had a handful of really bad games. Most QBs melt down from time to time.

No, I'm an asshole. Get it right. And would you follow the advice of someone in your profession whose claim to fame was 7 INTs in one game?

I would hire and take advice from someone who came through adversity and performed the way he did in his senior season especially after the way he was constantly bashed by the fanbase over his career at RU....similar to how you are bashing him in this thread.

But hey, you must know more than most what with "rich" in your screen name and your All American status based on post count on an anonymous fan board and with a job that likely affords you the luxury of sitting around on your ass and wasting time posting all day. People should certainly take advice from you over Nova.

Not exactly, but told him to not read online media.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...-quarterback-chris-laviano-tune-out/75044666/

Does the noise bother Laviano?

“It’s hard to say it doesn’t, obviously,” Laviano said. “But at the same time it’s not really a choice you have as a quarterback. It’s either you fold or you learn. You forget about the game quickly, you learn from it the next day and you move on. That’s just the way it is. You just have to be able to handle it.’’
God bless that kid if he reads our garbage...anyone fighting for us don't deserve that....i'm as guilty as anyone...

Reactions: JQRU91
If he want to be a starting QB, he needs to understand that the backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town.

Sorry, but if he was throwing for 300 yards a game, he would be the most popular guy in town. When you throw for 31 yards, it's kinda expected that people would be asking for the backup.

I did not like Nova. I thought he was too inaccurate and when he failed miserably he seemed like it was fine, no big deal. That said, I think he had a better senior year because playcalling by Friedgen helped him.

I think Laviano is a better QB than Nova, though he doesn't throw the long ball near as well (and I suspect Rettig may be better than Laviano). And I think playcalling/design is hurting him.

Right now, we simply do not maximize the effectiveness of what we have. That's criminal and is letting down everyone... players and fans alike.

BTW.. as a critic of Flood and as mentioned earlier, an armchair QB, I tune out all criticism of armchair QBs on this board.. so Nova has that right.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Sorry, can't believe another booing thread, but booing is like a hand grenade, it is heard by all in stadium. We have gone through this before, The players hear it and don't like it. They are college kids not professional athletes.

What is the purpose of it?

It creates a negative environment in our own stadium. Whether they have a thick skin or not, the players, who are student athletes who work their asses off, don't appreciate it. And it solves nothing.

If you really dislike the coaches and want them to know, email them and Julie. Pontificate your problems to them to your hearts content where you will be heard one on one and be respected for putting your name to your concerns instead of throwing hand grenades from the stands.
I would have thought you guys would have gotten my sarcasm.

Both Laviano and Nova have had great stats when Carroo played. Dodd and Rettig yet to get that opportunity.

Not exactly, but told him to not read online media.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...-quarterback-chris-laviano-tune-out/75044666/

Does the noise bother Laviano?

“It’s hard to say it doesn’t, obviously,” Laviano said. “But at the same time it’s not really a choice you have as a quarterback. It’s either you fold or you learn. You forget about the game quickly, you learn from it the next day and you move on. That’s just the way it is. You just have to be able to handle it.’’

As I have been saying since this crappy board started, two people get blamed when things go south - the HC and the QB. When i see some of the posters above continually blaming those two people I understand 100% that they are too f'ing stupid to say anything else. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I am all for giving Rettig a shot. I am surprised he has not gotten more since they were so close in camp. But when we have had ant chance at all, Laviano has performed well for a first year QB. When you have 8 in the box and cannot get any separation with your WR's and your Defense is razor thin due to injuries and other issues, it is very tough to perform.

The staff wants to try and control the clock and run the call. I am not 100% in agreement with them and never will be with any coach. But when we win it looks good and when we lose it looks bad.

Either way the usual a'holes come on this board and bitch. You need help losers. That is all.

Bad advice... this website is probably the only place he'd see himself listed as one of the Big Ten's best quarterbacks each week

when did Shagwell (sp) play

Terrance Shawell played some in 2004 against UConn and had a TD pass or 2. He was a good 'change of pace' from Hart but not a full-time starter IMO. Think he transferred in 2005.

Joe P.

As I have been saying since this crappy board started, two people get blamed when things go south - the HC and the QB. When i see some of the posters above continually blaming those two people I understand 100% that they are too f'ing stupid to say anything else. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I am all for giving Rettig a shot. I am surprised he has not gotten more since they were so close in camp. But when we have had ant chance at all, Laviano has performed well for a first year QB. When you have 8 in the box and cannot get any separation with your WR's and your Defense is razor thin due to injuries and other issues, it is very tough to perform.

The staff wants to try and control the clock and run the call. I am not 100% in agreement with them and never will be with any coach. But when we win it looks good and when we lose it looks bad.

Either way the usual a'holes come on this board and bitch. You need help losers. That is all.

Yeah, I hear and agree with much of what you're saying but at the same time, is *anything* our staff's responsibility?

Joe P.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
Yeah, I hear and agree with much of what you're saying but at the same time, is *anything* our staff's responsibility?

Joe P.

Did you see how "Yeah Baby" ridicules the critics and then agrees with them?

If Flood gave Rettig a real shot.. and tried to run a 21st century offense.. just TRY, not necessarily succeed at it... 90% of the crap he gets goes away.

Reactions: lighty
Did you see how "Yeah Baby" ridicules the critics and then agrees with them?

If Flood gave Rettig a real shot.. and tried to run a 21st century offense.. just TRY, not necessarily succeed at it... 90% of the crap he gets goes away.

I don't get how issues like lack of depth and other D's putting 8-9 in the box (which apparently has NEVER EVER been done before and no one knows how to deal with it because it's so mysterious) aren't our staff's responsibility.

Joe P.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
On this board? No it wouldn't.

It doesn't matter what any coach does, or what QB plays, or what plays get called, or what our record is, unless it's perfect. And even if we're undefeated, there will always be people giving the head coach tons of crap. Always has been, always will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT