ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants/Rutgers Visits

Nice. Now that Coughlin is gone, maybe we'll see more local flavor and not so much Syracuse and BC nonsense.
You really can't be serious with that nonsense

Do you really think there is a Rutgers bias?

Reactions: Purple-Ed
I don't think there was a bias against RU but a preference for those other schools hand down
Based on what?

every case is different onto itself

These guys are paid to win games.

They pick the best available players (in their mind) who would fit their system.

School is completely irrelevant

I think Carroo would make a very nice compliment to OBJ if Cruz doesn't come back. I see as much upside to Carroo as there was with Sanu. Not crazy about the idea of the Giants going for a WR in the first round. I am really going to be disappointed if they don't draft a LBer in the 1st two rounds.

Reactions: csphi and rutger80
giants-sd-11_1_75.jpg

We know Coughlin had a real problem with Schiano as Tampa head coach after the "playing to win on every down" thing.

I do not know if the anti-GS bias started there or happened earlier based on just meeting the guy and disliking him. We do know that many RUTGERS fans instantly disliked the guy.

We also know that the Giants seemed to avoid Rutgers players.

True or not, proven or not, it is a reasonable conclusion to think that Coughlin had such a bias.

Let's talk about Ryan Nassib. Horrible college QB but was drafted by G-Men. I wouldn't have wasted a preferred walk on spot.
Name another team in which Mark Herlzich would have lasted as long as he did? Nice guy, great story, but the Giants have needed an upgrade since he's been there.

Reactions: ClassOf02
Coughlin had a well known grudge against Rutgers ever since the infamous Navy game were a bunch of drunk idiot fans chatted things that they shouldn't have.

This is a fact.

Coughlin had a well known grudge against Rutgers ever since the infamous Navy game were a bunch of drunk idiot fans chatted things that they shouldn't have.

This is a fact.
Prove that fact?

Also...this could be the most laughable thing I have ever read.

So in your mind....Coughlin purposefully avoided Rutgers players due to....of all things.....FAN BEHAVIOR.....my god.....

Last edited:
I have no idea if Coughlin has an anti-Rutgers bias but the personnel staff has a pro-historical powerhouse school bias. Unfortunately they still think BC and Cuse are in that mix and Rutgers is not.

We know Coughlin had a real problem with Schiano as Tampa head coach after the "playing to win on every down" thing.

I do not know if the anti-GS bias started there or happened earlier based on just meeting the guy and disliking him. We do know that many RUTGERS fans instantly disliked the guy.

We also know that the Giants seemed to avoid Rutgers players.

True or not, proven or not, it is a reasonable conclusion to think that Coughlin had such a bias.
You thought process makes no sense.

Please provide concrete evidence that they had a philosophy they purposefully avoided Rutgers players.

Just because they haven't drafted Rutgers players doesn't mean they they were avoiding them.

CS - I tend to agree that Coughlin would play a grad of Riker's Island if he thought it would help him win. Then there is also Shaun O'Hara. But I did find it strange that I can't remember once Coughllin ever mentioning Rutgers while Parcels did often. I think it simply had to do with that Coughlin was an upstate NY guy who also coached a The uniforms btw was just a tweet from the Giants equipment manager so there seems to be truth to the rumor but no pictures.

I think Carroo would make a very nice compliment to OBJ if Cruz doesn't come back. I see as much upside to Carroo as there was with Sanu. Not crazy about the idea of the Giants going for a WR in the first round. I am really going to be disappointed if they don't draft a LBer in the 1st two rounds.

Agree. Giants need edge rusher very badly, either DE or LB, even with the free agent from Miami. Another OL - maybe in later rounds - would be good too. Carroo could be there in 2nd or 3rd round.

Based on what?

every case is different onto itself

These guys are paid to win games.

They pick the best available players (in their mind) who would fit their system.

School is completely irrelevant

Preferences. Yes, they are paid big to win, but all the more reason to reach into talent pools you have more familiarity and comfort with from the past when you are considering finding diamonds that may be in the rough. Same reason Bill B. went to Rutgers, where he knew Schiano well, over BC even though BC is in his backyard.

Preferences. Yes, they are paid big to win, but all the more reason to reach into talent pools you have more familiarity and comfort with from the past when you are considering finding diamonds that may be in the rough. Same reason Bill B. went to Rutgers, where he knew Schiano well, over BC even though BC is in his backyard.
How do you know what their preferences are?

Do you work in the front office?

In the last 10 years, the Giants have drafted more players from Cuse and BC than any other NFL team. Out of 18 drafted players from Cuse, the Giants have picked 3 (Nassib, Pugh, Bromley). Out of 17 drafted players from BC, the Giants have picked 3 (Snee, Kiwanuka, Andre Williams). Plus they also gave Herzlich from BC his chance and have stuck with him.

The Giants have never drafted a player from Rutgers.

I'm a huge Giants fan, but I do tend to agree with those who feel Coughlin & crew had their biases -- favorable towards Cuse/BC and unfavorable towards Rutgers (and probably other places).

Add me to the list of people who thought Caughlin had some sort of bias that caused not a lot of Rutgers players to be on the Giants roster, and glad there's a new guy in town.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
Their actions.
Every situation is different unto itself when it comes to a specific player/draft pick

Everything else is pure speculation that you have created in your mind

They are in the business of winning football games....nothing else

What school a player comes from is irrelevant as long as they can help them win.

Ask yourself this question....if player A is from RU and player B is from another school.

Do you really think the front office is saying....well...let's not take the player from Rutgers for the sole reason he is from Rutgers?

I mean really.....use your head.....

Let's talk about Ryan Nassib. Horrible college QB but was drafted by G-Men. I wouldn't have wasted a preferred walk on spot.

Ok, let's talk about this ^^^^.

Nassib was never a horrible college QB. Not even remotely true.

If I told you RU was going to have a QB for the next 3 years that'd complete over 60% of his passes, throw for 9,200 yards, and have 70 TD passes vs 28 Interceptions, would you take that? Yes you would in a NY minute. Well that's Nassib's stats as a 3+ year starter.

I'm all for ripping Cuse at every opportunity but I'd like to have a Nassib running my offense right now.

Reactions: MikeR0102
So using your logic, the Patriots weren't drafting a lot of Rutgers and Florida players because they like drafting Rutgers and Florida players? Despite their HC saying this was the case?

If you don't think that certain HC have certain favorite schools they keep asking for players from then you must never watch the draft every year or you have not been paying attention.

Coughllin always asked for some Boston College and Cuse players. The GM would try to get him 1-2 players from those schools every year.

So using your logic, the Patriots weren't drafting a lot of Rutgers and Florida players because they like drafting Rutgers and Florida players? Despite their HC saying this was the case?

If you don't think that certain HC have certain favorite schools they keep asking for players from then you must never watch the draft every year or you have not been paying attention.

Coughllin always asked for some Boston College and Cuse players. The GM would try to get him 1-2 players from those schools every year.
Coughlin asked?

Really....provide factual evidence that those conversations took place

Regarding NE...being that Stephen Belichick was a part of the program I think that may have been a factor

Coughing asked?

Really....provide factual evidence that those conversations took place

Are you serious? LOL, Announcers, and sports writers all refer to them as his annual Boston college pick, or Cuse pick. You never ever watch these things before?

Are you serious? LOL, Announcers, and sports writers all refer to them as his annual Boston college pick, or Cuse pick. You never ever watch these things before?
Who cares what announcers say?
Back it up with factual evidence that indicated that TC specifically asked for those players

Furthermore more....Coughlin is NOT the GM

He didn't have full power over personnel decisions where he could make that mandate

You thought process makes no sense.

Please provide concrete evidence that they had a philosophy they purposefully avoided Rutgers players.

Just because they haven't drafted Rutgers players doesn't mean they they were avoiding them.

May be hard to prove either way. However there is another team NE Pats that appear to have a propensity for brining in former RU players. If it exists pro RU it is reasonable to consider anti RU sentiment exists out there. Or at least a preference for players from certain conferences and schools.

Good reading in our hearts we all know coughlin never gave RU any love and some of these articles lay credence to what his thought processes may have been. I am a huge Gmen fan and it used to drive me crazy when they passed a good RU player in the draft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT