ADVERTISEMENT

NY Giants/Rutgers Visits

Let's talk about Ryan Nassib. Horrible college QB but was drafted by G-Men. I wouldn't have wasted a preferred walk on spot.
What nonsense. Nassib was a very good 4th round pick.
Let's talk about Ryan Nassib. Horrible college QB but was drafted by G-Men. I wouldn't have wasted a preferred walk on spot.
Let's not lie to prove a point. For a 4th round pick, Nassib is a nice back up to Eli.

Coughlin had a well known grudge against Rutgers ever since the infamous Navy game were a bunch of drunk idiot fans chatted things that they shouldn't have.

This is a fact.
That is not a fact. The thin skin of some Rutgers fans is creepy.

Prove that fact?

Also...this could be the most laughable thing I have ever read.

So in your mind....Coughlin purposefully avoided Rutgers players due to....of all things.....FAN BEHAVIOR.....my god.....
Ask him then why was Nova in the Giants pre season camp.

Add me to the list of people who thought Caughlin had some sort of bias that caused not a lot of Rutgers players to be on the Giants roster, and glad there's a new guy in town.
Like Sean O'Hara? The same Sean O'Hara that spoke at a Rutgers Touchdown Club meeting last year?

That is not a fact. The thin skin of some Rutgers fans is creepy.
I mean just think of the stupidity of this statement

They are going to shy away from drafting players from a school due to "fan behavior"

It's almost laughable

This thread is freaking brutal. First off, Shaun O'Hara, while a legendary RU alum and Giants hero, went undrafted and was given his shot in the league by the Cleveland Browns. To his credit, he made the best of his opportunity, and then some.

No one is saying the Giants draft room sits around saying "Well, I would draft this guy, but he's from Rutgers and we just don't do that around here." What I think people ARE saying is that there are unconscious (and maybe sometimes conscious) biases at play. Just like Belichik loves how "prepared" Rutgers players tend to be, other organizations have their biases towards certain schools. It's my belief the Giants held a bias towards Cuse & BC, primarily because of Coughlin.

Some of you are demanding "show me facts where the Giants don't like Rutgers." This does nothing to engage the debate, other than to come off as an angry, strawman-loving fool. Even so, earlier in the thread, I attempted to point out some basic facts -- specifically that the Giants have drafted more Cuse & BC players over the last 10 years than any other NFL team. But no one wanted to listen to that.

Some people will believe there is a conscious or unconscious bias at play. Others will not. Both sides can debate it. But don't debate like an asshat.

Reactions: thad23
It may be hard to document as a fact, but it's an opinion and belief that many Rutgers fans share.
This thread is freaking brutal. First off, Shaun O'Hara, while a legendary RU alum and Giants hero, went undrafted and was given his shot in the league by the Cleveland Browns. To his credit, he made the best of his opportunity, and then some.

No one is saying the Giants draft room sits around saying "Well, I would draft this guy, but he's from Rutgers and we just don't do that around here." What I think people ARE saying is that there are unconscious (and maybe sometimes conscious) biases at play. Just like Belichik loves how "prepared" Rutgers players tend to be, other organizations have their biases towards certain schools. It's my belief the Giants held a bias towards Cuse & BC, primarily because of Coughlin.

Some of you are demanding "show me facts where the Giants don't like Rutgers." This does nothing to engage the debate, other than to come off as an angry, strawman-loving fool. Even so, earlier in the thread, I attempted to point out some basic facts -- specifically that the Giants have drafted more Cuse & BC players over the last 10 years than any other NFL team. But no one wanted to listen to that.

Some people will believe there is a conscious or unconscious bias at play. Others will not. Both sides can debate it. But don't debate like an asshat.
Ah, the New York Giants have had 73 draft picks in the last 10 years. They have drafted 2 players from Boston College
and 3 players from Syracuse. Sorry, I'm not seeing a pattern here.

In the last 10 years, the Giants have drafted more players from Cuse and BC than any other NFL team. Out of 18 drafted players from Cuse, the Giants have picked 3 (Nassib, Pugh, Bromley). Out of 17 drafted players from BC, the Giants have picked 3 (Snee, Kiwanuka, Andre Williams). Plus they also gave Herzlich from BC his chance and have stuck with him.

The Giants have never drafted a player from Rutgers.

I'm a huge Giants fan, but I do tend to agree with those who feel Coughlin & crew had their biases -- favorable towards Cuse/BC and unfavorable towards Rutgers (and probably other places).

Well done.

Ah, the New York Giants have had 73 draft picks in the last 10 years. They have drafted 2 players from Boston College
and 3 players from Syracuse. Sorry, I'm not seeing a pattern here.
OK, in the case of Cuse, it's 3 draft picks in the last 3 years. Would you consider that a pattern?

OK, in the case of Cuse, it's 3 draft picks in the last 3 years. Would you consider that a pattern?
Not at all. In 2013 the New York Giants were picking, out of need, the best OL they could.
After a few OL were picked by teams ahead of them in the 1st round, the Giants picked the
best OL left, Justin Pugh, a Syracuse boy. If memory serves me well, the G-men wanted the right tackle
from Alabama (Womack?) but he was already taken. In the 4th round the Giants traded up to
select Ryan Nassib, another boy from Syracuse. Most draft magazines,PFW, Ourlads,etc. had
Nassib rated much higher than a 4th rounder, hence the trade up to select him.

Every situation is different unto itself when it comes to a specific player/draft pick

Everything else is pure speculation that you have created in your mind

They are in the business of winning football games....nothing else

What school a player comes from is irrelevant as long as they can help them win.

Ask yourself this question....if player A is from RU and player B is from another school.

Do you really think the front office is saying....well...let's not take the player from Rutgers for the sole reason he is from Rutgers?

I mean really.....use your head.....

Not what was said. Issue is whether they were inclined to look at RU players over players from other schools. Their preferences and actions showed their inclinations. Straight forward psych and statistical analysis.

* I do think that Tom Coughlin has a soft spot for Mark Herzlich -- for obvious reasons.

Not at all. In 2013 the New York Giants were picking, out of need, the best OL they could.
After a few OL were picked by teams ahead of them in the 1st round, the Giants picked the
best OL left, Justin Pugh, a Syracuse boy. If memory serves me well, the G-men wanted the right tackle
from Alabama (Womack?) but he was already taken. In the 4th round the Giants traded up to
select Ryan Nassib, another boy from Syracuse. Most draft magazines,PFW, Ourlads,etc. had
Nassib rated much higher than a 4th rounder, hence the trade up to select him.
So they sit on the 19th pick and select the best OL they could find at the time, when they needed OL badly. Then they turn around and traded up in the 4th for a backup QB. Gotcha. Why is Reese still employed by the Giants again?

Not what was said. Issue is whether they were inclined to look at RU players over players from other schools. Their preferences and actions showed their inclinations. Straight forward psych and statistical analysis.
Provide one example....(not that you are privy to their draft board) where an RU player was in contention for their pick and they choose somebody else?

Do you know how they rank their players every year?

Do you know for a fact that if an RU player was on their draft board they he had a strike against them because he went RU?

Psych and statistical analysis...gimme a friggin break

Unless you have intimate knowledge what goes on in their draft room, then you are talking out of your backside

Reactions: Purple-Ed
What amazes me is I started this thread to talk about the Giants draft needs and how some RU players might fit the bill quite nicely and this is what it turns into.

So they sit on the 19th pick and select the best OL they could find at the time, when they needed OL badly. Then they turn around and traded up in the 4th for a backup QB. Gotcha. Why is Reese still employed by the Giants again?
2 Superbowl Trophies?

Provide one example....(not that you are privy to their draft board) where an RU player was in contention for their pick and they choose somebody else?

Do you know for a fact that if an RU player was on their draft board they he had a strike against them because he went RU?

Unless you have intimate knowledge what goes on in their draft room, then you are talking out of your backside
Can I " Double Like" this?[cheers]

Give one specific example of how you know otherwise. Of course you would know if you were in the room on these matters so it should be easy for you.

Can I " Double Like" this?[cheers]
2009 the Giants picked Hakeem Nicks at 29, with our own Kenny Britt taken at 30. Same draft, Giants take DeAndre Wright at pick #200, while Jason McCourty went 3 picks later. It isn't exactly fair to say the Giants passed on Courtney Greene while taking Stoney Woodson (who?) instead, because KG was a safety while Stoney was a CB, but you see where I'm going.

And who ended up being more productive over the long term: 3rd rounder Ramses Barden, or 7th rounder Tiquan Underwood?

Reactions: RUsSKii
2009 the Giants picked Hakeem Nicks at 29, with our own Kenny Britt taken at 30. Same draft, Giants take DeAndre Wright at pick #200, while Jason McCourty went 3 picks later. It isn't exactly fair to say the Giants passed on Courtney Greene while taking Stoney Woodson (who?) instead, because KG was a safety while Stoney was a CB, but you see where I'm going.

And who ended up being more productive over the long term: 3rd rounder Ramses Barden, or 7th rounder Tiquan Underwood?
Stop, ALL GM's have draft picks they wish they could take back. Why didn't the Patriots take
Tom Brady in the first round? Why did they wait to the 6th round? Why didn't the 49ers take
Joe Montana in the 1st round? Why did they wait to the 3rd round?

Being a New York Giants fan for over 50 years I prayed to God the Giants would take
Hakeem Nicks over Kenny Britt. My prayers were answered, Nicks was the better player.

Stop, ALL GM's have draft picks they wish they could take back. Why didn't the Patriots take
Tom Brady in the first round? Why did they wait to the 6th round? Why didn't the 49ers take
Joe Montana in the 1st round? Why did they wait to the 3rd round?

Being a New York Giants fan for over 50 years I prayed to God the Giants would take
Hakeem Nicks over Kenny Britt. My prayers were answered, Nicks was the better player.
Hey, I know it wasn't you who asked, but the challenge was thrown to provide just one single example, and I delivered. If you want to quibble about whether Nicks was the better choice, or if Barden was a disaster or just a victim of injuries, go right ahead. But that wasn't what this was about.

Give one specific example of how you know otherwise. Of course you would know if you were in the room on these matters so it should be easy for you.
I don't
But you are the one talking out of your ass making assumptions

Thank god the Giants picked Nicks

Turns out they picked the better player

It's about who they think is best
Not what school they are from

I don't
But you are the one talking out of your ass making assumptions

I'll say this slowly so you can comprehend. This was not about proof of whether the Giants have done something explicitly or not from my perspective, but rather what are their tendencies. The issue is given a set of factors where things measure out the same, organizations will typically select where they have prior experiences and familiarity at the tip point. Here, the Giants just are not as comfortable with Rutgers historically as say the Patriots are. The issue of prior experiences and statistical analysis is well document. Lots of books in a wide range of professions on this topic. So instead of trying to go all Donald Trump, maybe pick up some books at a library and read them.

I'll say this slowly so you can comprehend. This was not about proof of whether the Giants have done something explicitly or not from my perspective, but rather what are their tendencies. The issue is given a set of factors where things measure out the same, organizations will typically select where they have prior experiences and familiarity at the tip point. Here, the Giants just are not as comfortable with Rutgers historically as say the Patriots are. The issue of prior experiences and statistical analysis is well document. Lots of books in a wide range of professions on this topic. So instead of trying to go all Donald Trump, maybe pick up some books at a library and read them.
And I'll say this slowly so you can comprehend.

Every single situation is different.

Maybe in a given year the Pats had a need at a position and the guy they liked was at Rutgers.

Same draft...maybe the Giants liked the same player, but had a need at a different position.

Has nothing to do with stats or analytics....it has to do with who is the best player on their board that fits a position of need or who is the best player on their board regardless position.

Their regional scouts scour all the schools in their given territory....they are not putting a red mark against someone because they went to Rutgers. If they did that, they wouldn't have a job for very long

Maybe in a given year the Pats had a need at a position and the guy they liked was at Rutgers.

Same draft...maybe the Giants liked the same player, but had a need at a different position.

Has nothing to do with stats or analytics....it has to do with who is the best player on their board that fits a position of need or who is the best player on their board regardless position.

Their regional scouts scour all the schools in their given territory....they are not putting a red mark against someone because they went to Rutgers. If they did that, they wouldn't have a job for very long
Thank You --- It's that S-I-M-P-L-E.

I was going to say this TWO hours ago:

If I had a nickel for every time certain somebodies posted...

I'd be even more rich now. LOL

WOW

Being a New Hampshire Wildcats football season ticket holder I have to take
exception with the New York Giants. The Giants have never ever ever Ever
drafted a UNH player.Ismell a conspiracy! The Giants hate UNH players! :scream::weary::joy:

Last edited:

Of course every situation is different. That I why I said given all factors the same on two players with one position, psych and stats show folks go with past tendencies. Never said they are putting a red mark on Rutgers players, but when all else is equal and you have to make a choice you go to your comfort. That is what the scouts, coaches and GMs do. In the end it is a gut call when all else is the same and the gut goes with past experiences, which is a factor for their tendencies.

In the last 10 years, the Giants have drafted more players from Cuse and BC than any other NFL team. Out of 18 drafted players from Cuse, the Giants have picked 3 (Nassib, Pugh, Bromley). Out of 17 drafted players from BC, the Giants have picked 3 (Snee, Kiwanuka, Andre Williams). Plus they also gave Herzlich from BC his chance and have stuck with him.

The Giants have never drafted a player from Rutgers.

I'm a huge Giants fan, but I do tend to agree with those who feel Coughlin & crew had their biases -- favorable towards Cuse/BC and unfavorable towards Rutgers (and probably other places).
If you look at all the players we have put in the league and not one player drafted by the giants?There has to be something to it.
How many have the Jets and Eagles drafted?

If you look at all the players we have put in the league and not one player drafted by the giants?There has to be something to it.
How many have the Jets and Eagles drafted?
Please say your kidding. The NY JETS have not drafted a Rutgers player this century.

The Philadelphia Eagles have drafted 1 player from Rutgers this century: L.J. Smith in the
2nd round in 2003.

The fact that they traded up for Nassib when they had GLARING holes in their OL should change how you think about the pick. Instead of getting a backup, why not protect your franchise QB?

The fact that they traded up for Nassib when they had GLARING holes in their OL should change how you think about the pick. Instead of getting a backup, why not protect your franchise QB?
Value. The Giants thought Nassib was a better value pick than any 4th round OL.

Eli Manning currently in the NFL has 183 consecutive games started, the longest
streak in the league. I'm going out on a limb here and say the Giants protect their
franchise QB pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT