ADVERTISEMENT

NY Wrestler Frankie Gissendanner

Very, very well spoken & humble young man comes across in that article. Penfield is near Rochester, NY.

As someone who has both followed Frankie's career since his youth days and who has chatted with his mother several times over the years, trust me when I saw this young man is a winner on and off the mat....He was raised to have impeccable values.

Rutgers would be blessed to have him in their wrestling room, but especially on their campus.

Is Cornell the leader?

I am trying not to pry too much (I am not THAT good a friend of the family), but I would think there is probably a big push to remain in-state.

Diakomihalis and Arujau have been training with him for years whenever VHW went up to Rochester or G2 came down to LI.

I am trying not to pry too much (I am not THAT good a friend of the family), but I would think there is probably a big push to remain in-state.

Diakomihalis and Arujau have been training with him for years whenever VHW went up to Rochester or G2 came down to LI.
I figured. Thanks.

Rutgers mentioned in the article as a possible school for him. He is a top 25 class of 2018 recruit in 3 major rankings.

http://www.newyorkwrestlingnews.com/news_article/show/808768?referrer_id=1024271

Circling back...why hasn't Gissendanner committed anywhere yet? Grades? NYRTC/FLWC grey shirt & then Cornell? Are we still in it?

Circling back...why hasn't Gissendanner committed anywhere yet? Grades? NYRTC/FLWC grey shirt & then Cornell? Are we still in it?
I don’t know the kid or the situation but sure makes me wonder why he hasn’t committed anywhere. Even if going FLWC you announce commitment to Cornell so not sure that is it.

I don’t know the kid or the situation but sure makes me wonder why he hasn’t committed anywhere. Even if going FLWC you announce commitment to Cornell so not sure that is it.
Yeah. I'm curious to hear what's going on, if anyone knows.

Grades shouldn't be an issue since FLWC would be their way of dealing with it

The problem with FLWC is some kids don't want to do the extra year and that may be the bigger issue not grades. He doesn't want to go to FLWC and they want him like all the others to go. That is their freshman redshirt program since Ivy's don't red shirt.

The problem with FLWC is some kids don't want to do the extra year and that may be the bigger issue not grades. He doesn't want to go to FLWC and they want him like all the others to go. That is their freshman redshirt program since Ivy's don't red shirt.
FLWC cant help non qualifiers if your a non qualifier youve to get a 2 year degree before you can go D1.Hopefully hes working hard on his grades now.

FLWC cant help non qualifiers if your a non qualifier youve to get a 2 year degree before you can go D1.Hopefully hes working hard on his grades now.

West2east is correct, if he is a Non Qualifier.

And it is not mandatory from Koll that incoming wrestlers have to spend a year at FLWC, there have been plenty that have gone straight into Cornell from High School.
And while it is true, the Ivies have a rule against redshirting, plenty of wrestlers do redshirt during their time at the Ivies. They just take a year off of school.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
West2east is correct, if he is a Non Qualifier.

And it is not mandatory from Koll that incoming wrestlers have to spend a year at FLWC, there have been plenty that have gone straight into Cornell from High School.
And while it is true, the Ivies have a rule against redshirting, plenty of wrestlers do redshirt during their time at the Ivies. They just take a year off of school.
Correct, otherwise, there would have to be some agreement for a graduate program at these schools, which they are not willing to guarantee to athletes.

So if he qualifies, but they can't clear him through Cornell admissions, does that make RU the fallback option?

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...sendanner-division-rider-wrestling/508383002/

He got a full ride, to Rider, and seemingly they at least indicated he may be able to start right away. Good for him. Interesting to me that he touts an advantage of Rider being that it is in close proximity to the RTC at Princeton.

“I like the atmosphere," Gissendanner said. "The team is a well-rounded team. It’s pretty diverse on on the campus. It has a good connection to the (USA Wrestling Olympic Regional Training Center) at Princenton.

"(Rider) is 45 minutes from Philadelphia, New York City is like an hour away. It’s in a good central location. I felt at home, walking around while classes were going on. There was no tension, I felt pretty good. It felt like I was meant to be there.”

The university is located about 11 miles north of Trenton, New Jersey, and perhaps more importantly only a 5½-hour drive from Rochester. Gissendanner said that he went on an official recruiting visit in January, then returned to the campus in late March with his mother, Nicole.

"I'm happy with it, I think it'll work out for him," Nicole Gissendanner said, noting that the distance enables him come home "if he needs to or wants to."

"The campus isn’t huge and overwhelming," Frankie Gissendanner said. "It doesn’t feel like a place where you have to go out of the way to be somebody. I'm comfortable."

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Can't blame him if he got a full ride.
What weight is he wrestling at? 149? 157?
Nice get for rider.

I always thought Rider was a good academic school.
I am not originally from NJ so maybe that is why.
Is there much difference between Rider and Rutgers?

I know there is a lot of difference to Full Scholarship and Partial scholarship.

Just saw that Rider was "Regional" Universities and Rutgers was "National" Universities.

If you review more academic ranking systems and understand them you will see that Rider is not comparable to Rutgers at all.

If Rider was ranked among National Universities by US News for instance, Rider would not be anywhere near the top 150. Rutgers is 69th, as you stated.

Rutgers is considered to be one of the finest Research Universities in the entire country.

Rider is an average regional University at best.

Reactions: Leonard23
Rider
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rider-university-2628

#34 (tie) in Regional Universities North

#37 in Best Value Schools

#331 (tie) in Business Programs

RU
https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rutgers-new-brunswick-6964

#69 (tie) in National Universities

#35 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans

#124 (tie) in Best Value Schools

Yes I am serious Leonard. Just pulled some rankings from US News.
I was talking academically, not athletics.
Can't be serious. Are you trolling or misinformed? See above and a million other national and world rankings and sources.

Not trolling, didn't know.
Born and raised in Cooperstown NY,
Settled in NJ after many years in the US navy.
My kids did not go to College in NJ.
Never looked into colleges because I did not need to.

Just because someone posts a question and may or may not have an opinion different than yours does not make them a troll.

And Thank you PSU Power...will take some time when I am not doing yardwork to review.

I'm sure he likes the smaller campus of Rider but something tells me their academic requirements for admission played a big part in his decision..
As long as he was D1 qualified then academics played no part in the decision - at least admission wise.

I'm not going to get into the discussion about Rutgers vs. Rider - obviously different types of institutions and Rutgers is a university with a fine national rep, while Rider is a good option to go to get your degree regionally. My dad graduated from Rider, I graduated from Rutgers. Family upgrade, but it's not like I have a degree from Princeton. My dad did pretty darn good with his Rider business degree.

But as far as athlete admissions in the wrestling program, the above is the bar if they want you. I know that for a fact unless something has changed over the past year. Get qualified and admissions will not be an issue.

I'd suspect that it has something more to do with the money, given he was offered a full at Rider. Hard to pass up especially given they've had some success, and Hangey is respected.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT