ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: Jump to BIG TEN is a FLOP for Rutgers

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
A quick glance reveals the article doesn't really mention Rutgers only gets a fraction of a full payout.

And to say Visiting fans regularly sit in the front row of the student section is a fabrication.

Pretty much a short sighted hit piece, exacerbated by could care less BOG and President, and an AD who had no idea how to hire a football coach.

He said that in 2017 the athletic department ran at a $47.4M deficit. This is the first time I ever heard this number. Is this true? If not I need to know why. And it can't be guesses I need to know facts as if I found out he did lie I plan to be very vocal ridiculing the writer Kevin Armstrong on this.

A quick glance reveals the article doesn't really mention Rutgers only gets a fraction of a full payout.

And to say Visiting fans regularly sit in the front row of the student section is a fabrication.

Pretty much a short sighted hit piece, exacerbated by could care less BOG and President, and an AD who had no idea how to hire a football coach.
But if you put “Rutgers” in there somebody will click. Works like a charm. Everytime.

Reactions: 17Q66
If we were a football franchise, yes, of course this has been a disaster. But we are a university. The problem is one a lot of people on this board have for different reasons: football is considered the be-all and end-all of everything not just in college sports but in judging colleges.

I don't have a major issue with this piece as far as football is considered, but the headline didn't say "flop for Rutgers football." THAT is my issue.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/rutgers-big-ten.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/sports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

But dumping Ash could cause other problems for Rutgers. His buyout would cost the university $9.8 million, and investment is needed elsewhere for an athletics program already operating in the red. In 2017, the department’s deficit was $47.4 million.

HOWEVER, keeping Ash will actually cost Rutgers more money than his buyout.

Reactions: redking and RU#1fan
Love this line, "opposing fans regularly wear their teams' colors in the front row of the Rutgers student section." Really? One time doesn't make a regular occurrence. I think it's bad enough that you don't have to embellish, there's plenty to pick on Kevin, good job numb nuts.

And one more thing, quoting Mark Killingsworth at this point is like playing a broken record. I think every media douche has him on speed dial anytime they want to write a negative article. Guys a dick and has an axe to grind since his little fiefdom within the athletic department was raided.

Last edited:

“... uptick in media revenue is still years away ...”

I think it’s an extremely well-timed (and accurate) article. Yeah, the truth hurts. But stories like this in the national media might, I say might, bruise Barchi’s ego enough that he tells Hobbs to do what needs to be done. Now. Hey, whatever it takes. Just get it done.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/23/sports/rutgers-big-ten.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/sports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=6&pgtype=sectionfront

But dumping Ash could cause other problems for Rutgers. His buyout would cost the university $9.8 million, and investment is needed elsewhere for an athletics program already operating in the red. In 2017, the department’s deficit was $47.4 million.
"All the news that is shit to print?"

NYT, I heard the WWW, Facebook / Twitter are good sources of news and doing well.

Keep up the great work.

MO

Duke University lacrosse case

The newspaper was criticized for largely reporting the prosecutors' version of events in the 2006 Duke lacrosse case.[228][229] Suzanne Smalley of Newsweek criticized the newspaper for its "credulous"[230] coverage of the charges of rape against Duke University lacrosse players. Stuart Taylor, Jr. and KC Johnson, in their book Until Proven Innocent: Political Correctness and the Shameful Injustices of the Duke Lacrosse Rape Case, write: "at the head of the guilt-presuming pack, The New York Times vied in a race to the journalistic bottom with trash-TV talk shows."[229]

Love this line, "opposing fans regularly wear their teams' colors in the front row of the Rutgers student section." Really? One time doesn't make a regular occurrence. I think it's bad enough that you don't have to embellish, there's plenty to pick on Kevin, good job numb nuts.

And one more thing ,quoting Mark Killingsworth at this point is like playing a broken record. I think every media douche has him on speed dial anytime they want to write a negative article. Guys a douche and has an axe to grind since his little fiefdom within the athletic department was raided.

Agree, not to mention the articles never mention that RU actually won 8 games first year in, they quote the 15 alum like he only saw bowls in the BE.

while we do not have the full share, yes on the field and off its been pretty much a flop and you can look at football attendance numbers as well..it wasnt the boon to fans as much as you think. I would rather be in the ACC with a chance to compete with the level that the administration wants to compete at

Reactions: Rutgers'02
The fact The NY Times is publishing an article about Rutgers on the final weekend of college football is a positive.

Exactly what the move to Big Ten intended. Obviously wish results were better.

That's fair, I can look past the fabrications and clueless hater Killingsworth if someone puts this article on Hobbs' desk and he joins the rest of us in reality.

Agree, not to mention the articles never mention that RU actually won 8 games first year in, they quote the 15 alum like he only saw bowls in the BE.
I also like how he brings up the murder plot. Tell it like it is, leaving out facts is almost as good as fabricating a lie. The players and coaches did everything by the book and reported it. But that aspect doesn't fit the agenda he poses. Look, I don't want Ash here any more than you or anyone else here does. But fabricating lies to tarnish the reputation of Rutgers crosses the line. There's plenty there already, just do your fvcking job and stop being lazy.

The fact The NY Times is publishing an article about Rutgers on the final weekend of college football is a positive.

Exactly what the move to Big Ten intended. Obviously wish results were better.
Michael, row that boat ashore as you get it. ;)

“Rutgers” (good or bad) gets the clicks and eyeballs.

And one more thing, quoting Mark Killingsworth at this point is like playing a broken record. I think every media douche has him on speed dial anytime they want to write a negative article. Guys a douche and has an axe to grind since his little fiefdom within the athletic department was raided.
It’s the equivalent of using your smart phone on the toilet, in the bed or some other place for your “hard hitting research”...Laaaazzzzzzyyy.

Reactions: koleszar
“... uptick in media revenue is still years away ...”

I think it’s an extremely well-timed (and accurate) article. Yeah, the truth hurts. But stories like this in the national media might, I say might, bruise Barchi’s ego enough that he tells Hobbs to do what needs to be done. Now. Hey, whatever it takes. Just get it done.
He did it before...;)

People read it my AHole neighbor UPENN Grad Mentioned the article and asked if it was true. Don’t worry he pays 22G in property taxes so the joke is on him.

I also like how he brings up the murder plot. Tell it like it is, leaving out facts is almost as good as fabricating a lie. The players and coaches did everything by the book and reported it. But that aspect doesn't fit the agenda he poses. Look, I don't want Ash here any more than you or anyone else here does. But fabricating lies to tarnish the reputation of Rutgers crosses the line. There's plenty there already, just do your fvcking job and stop being lazy.

Agree, they can give a fan's approach and be truthful about the program without making things up. Even NJ.Com has managed that as of late with Politi admitting there was no opposing fan takeover.

while we do not have the full share, yes on the field and off its been pretty much a flop and you can look at football attendance numbers as well..it wasnt the boon to fans as much as you think. I would rather be in the ACC with a chance to compete with the level that the administration wants to compete at
Long before it was officially announced RU would be a B1G member, I said the ACC is the league I'd rather be in athletically. Academically, we are a perfect fit in the B1G. Athletically, we are an outlier.

Seems like I've read this article before. Must be a cottage industry. Obviously, RU FB is in terrible shape, but its absurd to suggest the move to BIG was a mistake or is forever doomed. The alternative was UCONN's situation.

I pay 30 in Montclair, the joke is on me.:scream:
Zap time to move Montclair is nice but it’s not New Providence. If you had school aged kids you certainly could not send them to that school system. Money is no issue for you so I’m sure the school system matters not but for us small timers living in a superior school system and not pay for private makes it tolerable to pay 18G in taxes.

If it's a flop at the moment it's not because it can't work, it's because the program is a victim of bad circumstance, namely Mike Rice. What that scandal did is give the academic side (or anti-big time sports side) the upper hand. I said it then that trainwreck was going to push the program 5-10 years back. I honestly didn't think I'd be so correct. But few at the time understand how much damage that jackass inflicted on the program. We're STILL feeling it.

Reactions: superfan01
We can do the innuendo.
We can dance and sing.
When it's said and done.
We haven't told you a thing.
We all know that crap is king.
Keep your dirty laundry.
Kick em when they're up.
Kick em when they're down.
Kick em when they're stiff.
Kick em all around.

Dirty little secrets and dirty little lies.
We've got our dirty little fingers in everybody's pies.

This guy is clueless. There are only about 60 school who would like to be in Rutgers place.

If it's a flop at the moment it's not because it can't work, it's because the program is a victim of bad circumstance, namely Mike Rice. What that scandal did is give the academic side (or anti-big time sports side) the upper hand. I said it then that trainwreck was going to push the program 5-10 years back. I honestly didn't think I'd be so correct. But few at the time understand how much damage that jackass inflicted on the program. We're STILL feeling it.

This times 100x. Prevented us from firing flood later in the year.

$9.8 million buyout with an athletic dept bleeding money AND add to that there is absolutely no guarantee that who we bring in would be much of an upgrade. As with most things this comes down to money, and sorry but I just can’t see this happening this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT