ADVERTISEMENT

O.T.-Tracy Stallard dead at 80

RUhasarrived

All American
May 7, 2007
He pitched 7 years in MLB,known mostly for giving up Roger Maris' 61st home run in 1961,when was a Red Sox.

He pitched three seasons for the Mets with varying degrees of success,given the state of the Mets at the time.

His quote about his teammate Roger Craig's 20 game losing streak in 1963:

"If he bought a graveyard,nobody would die."

Today,he knows that we all do.

Reactions: rurichdog
He pitched 7 years in MLB,known mostly for giving up Roger Maris' 61st home run in 1961,when was a Red Sox.

He pitched three seasons for the Mets with varying degrees of success,given the state of the Mets at the time.

His quote about his teammate Roger Craig's 20 game losing streak in 1963:

"If he bought a graveyard,nobody would die."

Today,he knows that we all do.

I was at the game on Oct 1, 1961 sitting along 3B with my Dad when Maris hit the HR vs Stallard as Yanks beat the Bosox that day 1-0.

Have never seen my Dad so excited when Maris lifted that pitch into the RF stands for #61.

I remember that moment like it was yesterday. A classic.

Last edited:
I was at the game on Oct 1, 1961 sitting along 3B with my Dad when Maris hit the HR vs Stallard as Yanks beat the Bosox that day 1-0.

Have never seen my Dad so excited when Maris lifted that pitch into the RF stands for #61.

Even as a Red Sox fan, in the eyes of defeat, I see a great moment where a father and son bond like no other way possible in this world. What a great day for you two.

Reactions: Knightmoves

And there's Yogi Berra, #8, at home plate to congratulate him!

#59 Milt Pappas never pitched for the Mets,though #60,Fat Jack Fisher,did so,being Stallard's roommate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT