ADVERTISEMENT

Obsession with officials

RU72

All American
Gold Member
Jul 25, 2001
Great win today. Biggest of the season. In my opinion the game was very fairly officiated. Rutgers got hosed at OSU. Illinois might have gotten hosed at the RAC. Rutgers wins on the merits and loses on the merits. When Ron and Geo play like Ron and Geo,Rutgers is as good as anyone not named Michigan.

Great win today. Biggest of the season. In my opinion the game was very fairly officiated. Rutgers got hosed at OSU. Illinois might have gotten hosed at the RAC. Rutgers wins on the merits and loses on the merits. When Ron and Geo play like Ron and Geo,Rutgers is as good as anyone not named Michigan.
I guess you didn't hear Bardo starting to go off on the refs after one particular phantom call on Myles, but then thinking better of it and letting the replay speak for itself.....clearly showing that there was no foul. I have no idea why they continue to pick on Myles. Lucky for us Cliff is back and we can rest Myles when he gets a few called on him in the first half.
Big 10 refs suck.

I sure did. I know plenty of officials. I don't buy that they officiated based on uniforms. Sorry

agree, didnt see the problem today, missed calls both ways

Reactions: mildone
Part of the problem on defense is that Rutgers commits too many fouls away from the basket which results in the opponent shooting foul shots with 10 minutes to go in many halves.Fans will always question referee calls especially when their favorite team loses the game.

The T on Geo was weak - he's a senior, give him a warning instead of affecting the game - you could call 20 T's a game for trash talking. And the 14-6 foul disparity at one point was not reflective of how the game was being played. It wasn't OSU level bad, but I didn't think it was well-officiated and I don't complain very often about that.

The T on Geo was weak - he's a senior, give him a warning instead of affecting the game - you could call 20 T's a game for trash talking. And the 14-6 foul disparity at one point was not reflective of how the game was being played. It wasn't OSU level bad, but I didn't think it was well-officiated and I don't complain very often about that.

from here it was...but we have NO IDEA what was actually said and what had been said beforehand. What I liked is after it cost us a 5 point, Geo game down and stuck another 3. Thats how you respond.

re: the OP

What happens if Ron plays like Geo and Geo plays like Ron ? Would that be good or bad ?

Reactions: zappaa
Missed calls on both sides including Caleb’s travel. I was happy on the no call when Paul got mugged on the fast break because MJ got the put back and we didn’t have to sweat out 2 more FTs. Biggest ref issue today was Geo’s technical. That was complete garbage at a critical point in the game.

I guess you didn't hear Bardo starting to go off on the refs after one particular phantom call on Myles, but then thinking better of it and letting the replay speak for itself.....clearly showing that there was no foul. I have no idea why they continue to pick on Myles. Lucky for us Cliff is back and we can rest Myles when he gets a few called on him in the first half.
Big 10 refs suck.
And end game Bardo couldn't help himself but to come back and discuss how Miles is reffed...in that end game foul that folks forget cause we won.
That first half segment from 13 to 8 mins was brutal. 2 calls on #5 in 2 trips. A call on McConnel for getting stepped on, then Harper and 1 as the guy was out of control.
Rutgers won so the apologists can feel vindicated.
Didn't see the 2nd half. What I did see was the same B.S..

Part of the problem on defense is that Rutgers commits too many fouls away from the basket which results in the opponent shooting foul shots with 10 minutes to go in many halves.Fans will always question referee calls especially when their favorite team loses the game.
Agree. We've been giving too many fouls. That's one of the things we still need to work on (poor lob passes in the last few games is another). It may be due to tiredness, lazy feet, or being out of position, but it's an issue. And I'm going to side with the refs on Geo's tech. He did say something and he should know better. It's not the first time he's picked up a bad foul either.

Reactions: BoogieKnight
They screwed up when ball went off the leg of an Indy player. Should have been reviewed, other than that was not really bothered by the officiating

We have been on the short end for a long time and if we had lost today it would have because of a really questionable T. Bardo and Recco questioned a lot of the fouls especially those on Myles.
Like that Pike appeared to give the ref a piece of his mind after the T.
Mind boggling to me when fans continually argue that the refs are off limit. In a league so balanced it may be the most important factor of all.

from here it was...but we have NO IDEA what was actually said and what had been said beforehand. What I liked is after it cost us a 5 point, Geo game down and stuck another 3. Thats how you respond.
Very true, we have no idea what was said. I personally have a hard time imagining Geo saying something egregious enough to warrant a T, but that’s pure speculation on my part.

He absolutely could not have handled it better, didn’t hang is head, approached the official and discussed it, and then came back and canned another huge 3. That’s why he has the C on his chest.

What puzzles me is that we drive into the lane as much as any team in the league if not more, and yet we don’t get to the line as much. I’ve seen our guys get absolutely mugged without a call. I prefer it when the refs let them play, but the foul-call disparity doesn’t make sense to me.

Cannot compare officiating in Illinois game at RAC, and RU at OSU..Rutgers might have had an edge in calls vs Illinois, but the OSU game was the worst one sided officiating I have seen in over 40 years

I don't know what game you were watching.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
And end game Bardo couldn't help himself but to come back and discuss how Miles is reffed...in that end game foul that folks forget cause we won.
That first half segment from 13 to 8 mins was brutal. 2 calls on #5 in 2 trips. A call on McConnel for getting stepped on, then Harper and 1 as the guy was out of control.
Rutgers won so the apologists can feel vindicated.
Didn't see the 2nd half. What I did see was the same B.S..
I love Bardo. Maybe he get in the ear of the B1G commissioner and let him know how certain players and certain teams are being treated by certain officials when they play perceived blue chip schools.

I know a couple of sports fan who blame every game their team ever lost on officiating. In football or basketball you can always find missed calls in any game. I guess it's easier to say your team was screwed today than your team sucked today.

The way the game is officiated definitely affects certain teams...the officials did affect the game yesterday...in a well officiated game you don’t even notice them...the refs have not been officiating Rutgers fairly especially Myles...it is not an obsession it is just fact that there is bias against Rutgers currently...I believe it will eventually change because of pressure from the top and Bardo is helping calling them out...that t vs Baker was especially crap...I can’t wait for the day the officials aren’t mentioned during the game thread but for now it is the reality...

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Very true, we have no idea what was said. I personally have a hard time imagining Geo saying something egregious enough to warrant a T, but that’s pure speculation on my part.

He absolutely could not have handled it better, didn’t hang is head, approached the official and discussed it, and then came back and canned another huge 3. That’s why he has the C on his chest.

A "C" on his chest and a "Chip" on his shoulder is a very formidable combo.

I think Myles gets an incredibly strict whistle. The T was bad but again we don’t know what was said and he kinda approached the other kid on IU. Not good timing could of swing the game. Otherwise this game was fine the one OSU game was a mockery

I don't know but Jim Ferry complained a LOT about the poor officials and calls after getting crushed at Illinois, suddenly Penn State doesn't have fouls called against them as much in the next 2 games vs RU and NW....and with that, PSU gets 2 wins.....who knew that a fair whistle could make a difference.

RU clearly hasn't gotten a fair whistle until halfway through last season. But it reversed back to normal this year against RU during the course of when the game is decided. The 4 phantom fouls against RU in the 2nd half were awful....Mulcahy barely touched a kid, Myles never touched Jackson-Davis and no warning for Geos T.....the Geo T and late foul on Myles becomes 4 free points in a 4 point game....I could argue easily that RU should have won by 7 to 8, not 4.

IMHO. I expect TI and his team will get a lot of phantom calls Thursday at the RAC. Until Pike goes ballastic it may not change. RU overcame the calls Sunday and hopefully will play thru them Thursday and bring home a BIG W. You can not focus on the refs and brood. You have to play thru them, keep your focus and WIN.

How anyone can disagree with this, I dunno.

They stayed focused and GEO hit them with a three point dagger on the next play. That is what wins games. I remember being at a camp a very long time ago and the Coach was the Silver Fox, Al La Balboa. He was the coach that sat next to K at Army and Louie at St John’s. His defense was the one used by most major program. Mass and Kevin McLoughlin were regulars at his clinics. Some kid bitched about fouling and he went ballistic. He basically said keep your head in the game and Defend and Score and you win!

This is Bo Boroski this weekend OSU vs. Wisco.

Tell me it's not all about him. Practically screaming "Look at me! Look at how I affect things!"

Reactions: RUfromSoCal?
I would love to know the rules on reviewable status, when the officials question whom last touched the ball?
What is the criteria other than getting the call correct ?
I think its only last two minutes of the game. Which is ridiculous

Reactions: bethlehemfan
I think refs cost us one game this year: OSU I. That said, I thought they really hurt us first half yesterday, were better in second.

The refs weren't great in this last game, no doubt. But they made and missed calls both ways.

Did the bad refereeing disproportionately impact us? Perhaps so; it sure felt that way to me. But (a) I understand that I'm heavily biased towards RU and that such bias makes it extremely unlikely that I won't unconsciously see what I want to see and (b) bad calls are part of the game - it's how it goes sometimes and (c) I just don't see any value in whining about it.

Seriously, what's the point in endlessly whining about the refs? It accomplishes nothing that I can see. Does it make people feel better? Seems to me, it makes people feel worse, judging by the tone in some of the posts in this thread or the game threads.

Then why even write on this board? It's called being a fan.
Oh I see. It's impossible to be a sports-fan and not constantly whine about refs. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Uh... refs sucks! Fire all the refs! The refs all hate RU! RU MBB would be ranked #1 right now if it wasn't for crooked refs!

How's that? Feel any better?

Reactions: dconifer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT