ADVERTISEMENT

OC Candidates

I had mentioned Whipple in a game-day thread. What about Mark Helfrich? No thanks to anyone who’s never held the OC job.

Reactions: eddynyse
VerSteeg did a fine job until 1.0 inexplicably fired him before the Texas Bowl IIRC, hiring McNulty. Think VerSteeg’s success and independence challenged Schiano’s ego.

After getting ‘chopped’ he had a long nfl offense assistant job. Schiano won’t hire him now for the same reason he axed him back then. Cvs wont be a puppet.

VerSteeg did a fine job until 1.0 inexplicably fired him before the Texas Bowl IIRC, hiring McNulty. Think VerSteeg’s success and independence challenged Schiano’s ego.

After getting ‘chopped’ he had a long nfl offense assistant job. Schiano won’t hire him now for the same reason he axed him back then. Cvs wont be a puppet.
Not sure that’s accurate. I believe McNulty was already on staff in 2006 and GS moved McNulty to play calling and moved Ver Steeg to RB coach. Ver Steeg left at the end of 2007 to be on the Ravens staff.

He wasn’t let go, he left to pursue the Pitt opportunity. I agree it’s a stretch to let him call plays, just brainstorming people from Schiano’s past.
Underwood was the guy who Narduzzi publicly threw under the bus saying that the WR had no clue what they were doing. If he the answer for OC at Rutgers then is in deep trouble. He probably will be available for cheap because he probably will be let go at the end of the season.

Reactions: redking and TRU2RU
Underwood was the guy who Narduzzi publicly threw under the bus saying that the WR had no clue what they were doing. If he the answer for OC at Rutgers then is in deep trouble. He probably will be available for cheap because he probably will be let go at the end of the season.
Which game and play?

Just gonna throw this out there. What about one of the offensive coaches from Monmouth U? Take a look at their O output this year. Soph. RB Jaden Shirden is leading ALL OF FCS in rushing yards, by an almost 200 yard margin, and they are 7th in scoring offense at 39.5 pts/gm.

I've been to 2 games (daughter is a frosh there) and am going to a 3rd on the 29th. They are a fun team to watch. (Their team D isn't the greatest, so they end up in shootouts... but we're talking OC here so no matter and it makes for VERY entertaining football.)

Why do they have to be from Schiano’s past?

That should be #1 eliminator honestly.
The hard part is that any outside hire who finds success is going to use it to springboard into either a head job or a job elsewhere. Someone internal is more likely to stay if they have success I think. Obviously have to find the success first which is a big ask but success plus continuity would be nice.

Reactions: NickRU714
The hard part is that any outside hire who finds success is going to use it to springboard into either a head job or a job elsewhere. Someone internal is more likely to stay if they have success I think. Obviously have to find the success first which is a big ask but success plus continuity would be nice.

The "stepping stone job" always comes up - HC, OC.
That's a good thing. It means they were successful.
There is the idea that "Rutgers AD can't be trusted to make a second good hire".
But wouldn't they have hired the successful HC/OC who is jumping ship?

The best way to ensure offensive continuity is to hire a HC who is running the offensive. Then if the OC leaves, you have the person in charge. Or if the HC leaves because of success, the OC who presumably has been helping run the offense could be considered for HC.

Unless we are hiring Schiano's children directly - any OC with success is going to leave for a HC job within a year or two of said success.

Reactions: RUSK97
Sanuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu should be the next OC. Make it so.

Okay, yeah, sure… he has no experience. But he’s done brilliantly at every other job he’s done on offense. So of course he’d be a great OC.

My logic unassailable. Unimpeachable, even. The brilliance of this is manifest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT