ADVERTISEMENT

October 20, 1873

Rutgers, Yale and Princeton (and Columbia by letter) agreed to intercollegiate football’s first set of uniform rules on October 18, 1873 at the Fifth Avenue Hotel in New York City. The dozen rules included a field 400 by 250 feet (133 1/3 by 83 1/3 yards), goal posts set 25 feet apart, 20 per side, one referee and two judges and other agreements.

Yale called the meeting and asked everyone to send two delegates:

Princeton: T.G. Ricketts and I.H. Lionberger

Yale: Peter A. Porter and William H. Halstead

Columbia: delegates never showed, however Columbia's wishes were already sent in by letter

Harvard: said they were happy with their version of football and not interested in negotiating anything different

Rutgers: John W. Searing and Howard Newton Fuller

The first game played under the first established uniform rules was Rutgers at Yale on October 25, 1873. Fuller played in that game. Searing was an official. Fuller was also a member of the fledgling Rutgers Glee Club. Two months later he re-wrote the lyrics to "On The Banks of the Old Dundee" into the Rutgers alma mater "On The Banks" Of The Old Raritan."

My friend owns the 1873 program from that game with both Rutgers names printed and/or signed on the program.

1873 Rutgers at Yale Football Program:

BTW, Rutgers lost that game to Yale three goals to one. It costs 35 cents to watch the game at Hamilton Park and attendance was around 1,000. The generated money went to the rental of the field and the rest was split between the two teams to help cover their self imposed expenses.

BTW, Rutgers lost that game to Yale three goals to one. It costs 35 cents to watch the game at Hamilton Park and attendance was around 1,000. The generated money went to the rental of the field and the rest was split between the two teams to help cover their self imposed expenses.
That seems like a lot of money for the time?

But did the players get any of that money???

Reactions: Local Shill

Just for fun I googled. The adjustment is (rounded) 25:1. So the cost was still under $10 in 2022 $$.

And I heard the undergrads weren't in their seats at kickoff. 😉

Damn, we couldnt win back in 1873 either!!!!!
I heard some were trying to get NIL deals with the local farmers and blacksmiths.

In fact they did. Rutgers got about $160 to spread among the 20 players. Rutgers got to Yale via train to Jersey City and boat to New Haven. With the funds, they could take the train all the way home.😀

Rutgers charged admission for the first time to the 1879 Rutgers-Stevens game. Admission was 25 cents and mostly stayed at that price for most of the 19th century.

Damn, we couldnt win back in 1873 either!!!!!

I heard some were trying to get NIL deals with the local farmers and blacksmiths.

We're going to hammer Yale harder than the horseshoes get hammered at Uncle Joe's Smithwork.
He's the best ferrier around and the only one I would trust with my horse to get me to this weekends game on time and safely.

Was my analysis wrong ?
I think your conclusions are in many cases of late. Always taking the under (which is your right). And seriously I'm just busting balls. It's all good.

But I'm glad we missed on the Ivy thing cause if they got that right few of us would be here talking about Rutgers Football as alumns.

But you forgot to mention had we taken that tobacco $ instead of Henry's we'd all have been Duke grads instead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT