ADVERTISEMENT

Offense is worse than last year. Now what?

RUsojo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 18, 2010
Through seven weeks the offense is worse than last year. The schedule is easier though still not easy. Realistically, what will the staff try and do differently the rest of the way?

I’m trying to think of what’s next and I can’t figure it out. Our challenge is more heavy boxes than last year, defenses playing more condensed than last year, and not stressing the contain defender without frequent read option. It’s allowing defenses to set up shop in man coverage crowding the middle of the field.

How that impacts us as a problem is all our passing success usually comes from the slot, and most of our run game success came from getting a double team and holding the weak side defender to allow space for KM to work. My first thoughts on what we can try. But I don’t know if it’ll work. Anyone have any thoughts conceptually (aside from execute better and sure things up; blocking/drops/accuracy/etc.)?

1. Wide passing game. We need to force defenses to spread out. The staff has little confidence in Athan to throw outside the hashes. Let’s get our bigger bodies more targets on these throws and if we have to do so to the boundary (short side of the field). I think Strongs injury may actually hurt more than I originally thought. But as such I would increase snaps for our bigger bodied receivers for a larger catch radius and safer targets for Athan. More Strong/Duff/Black.

2. More pre snap motion to dictate to defense. It seems most of our presnap motion is off play action. We’ve had to abandon play action as we’ve gotten behind early in games. Presnap motion can move defenders out of the middle of the field and help get guys open vs the press man we are facing, and do it before our Oline breaks down. Let’s implement more in dropback passing game to help Athan and the receivers out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.