ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State Writer on Rutgers - Captain Obvious or Smug?

rucoe89

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Can't wait for the day when this program gets silly slapped and its fans must crawl into a hole (I can dream
3dgrin.r191677.gif
)

States the obvious, but in a smug way. Seems to imply that we can assume Gary to OSU, Michigan or State Penn (perhaps in that order).

Rutgers can't compete because it can't recruit NJ

I don't think the writer is stating anything that the rest of the BIG already realizes and has discussed: Rutgers could be a big time player in not only the BIG but throughout the country if it could land the majority or even 50% of the college material that NJ provides every year. Urban ruffled some feathers when he first camd to OSU when he basically got on some of the BIG coaches about the caliber of recruiting in the conference basically saying that the conference would never reach SEC levels (or close to it) until BIG recruiting improves over-all. Was he out of line ? Maybe. But dead-on.

A perfect example is J. Guarantano. Don't have to tell you guys how the big-time programs rate this kid but if I'm correct, isn't he a legacy recruit ? Father or brother went to Rutgers ? Could be wrong but if that is the case, there is no way in hell Rutgers should lose this kid especially after your bowl last year. I understand it's tough right now recruiting against OSU after their NC but their QB depth is off the charts which I believe has Guarantano thinking about his original early commitment to the Buckeyes. I wouldn't be too disappointed as a Buckeye fan if he did end up committing to Rutgers. If he decides to stay home, well, nothing wrong with that. Very understandable. But possibly effing Tennessee ? No way.

I really don't think the writer is trying to be smug. He's just stating what everyone else has been saying for a while now. If you guys could just keep some of the outstanding talent home, you're cooking.

Originally posted by rucoe89:
Can't wait for the day when this program gets silly slapped and its fans must crawl into a hole (I can dream
3dgrin.r191677.gif
)

States the obvious, but in a smug way. Seems to imply that we can assume Gary to OSU, Michigan or State Penn (perhaps in that order).
Try to avoid the chip on your shoulder small man syndrome. Your also making a big assumption that because one reporter writes that Rutgers needs to keep their best prospects to compete for championships, that the program needs to be slapped silly and the fans need to crawl in a hole?

As your post confirms the article was stating the obvious. The "smug" attitude and assumption that Gary won't commit to RU seems to be manufactured in your own mind.

take a look at the other three as. The OSU fans posting there are complimentary of RU.

R1950, sadly, I agree with you. To get these recruits is gonna be an uphill battle. Can it be done? Sure! However, the convincing has to be done by the coaches and the players. Going to tOSU, or UM, or PSU for that matter doesn't necessarily mean you're going to the pros either. It's hard to argue with either the writers point, or yours, but this is gonna take time.

I have to admit, every Buckeye fan I have spoken to has been very complimentary of Rutgers and are ability to compete in the B1G. Spoke to many at the Ohio State game and a few on FB. Good people and have a right to be a little cocky, but frankly I didn't see it.

Originally posted by R1950:

I don't think the writer is stating anything that the rest of the BIG already realizes and has discussed: Rutgers could be a big time player in not only the BIG but throughout the country if it could land the majority or even 50% of the college material that NJ provides every year. Urban ruffled some feathers when he first camd to OSU when he basically got on some of the BIG coaches about the caliber of recruiting in the conference basically saying that the conference would never reach SEC levels (or close to it) until BIG recruiting improves over-all. Was he out of line ? Maybe. But dead-on.

A perfect example is J. Guarantano. Don't have to tell you guys how the big-time programs rate this kid but if I'm correct, isn't he a legacy recruit ? Father or brother went to Rutgers ? Could be wrong but if that is the case, there is no way in hell Rutgers should lose this kid especially after your bowl last year. I understand it's tough right now recruiting against OSU after their NC but their QB depth is off the charts which I believe has Guarantano thinking about his original early commitment to the Buckeyes. I wouldn't be too disappointed as a Buckeye fan if he did end up committing to Rutgers. If he decides to stay home, well, nothing wrong with that. Very understandable. But possibly effing Tennessee ? No way.

I really don't think the writer is trying to be smug. He's just stating what everyone else has been saying for a while now. If you guys could just keep some of the outstanding talent home, you're cooking.
We don't know if JG decides to stay home and play for Rutgers and his dad's alma mater. However, you should know as a Buckeyes fan that plenty of legacies decide not to carry on in their father or brother's tradition and/or decide to go away to school. I can think of multiple OSU players on last year's team that didn't play for their father's (or mother's) alma mater. Wasn't your RB the product of both a father and mother who attended Missouri and received an offer to play at Missouri? How about the enitre Boren brothers who all decided to play at OSU when their father was the leading tackler for Michigan and a Michigan Wolverines man through and through. Growing up in an Ohio household that hated Ohio State, why play for the Buckeyes? Yeah I know Justin originally committed and started off playing at Michigan, however, transferred shortly thereafter, as well as Jacoby was not recruited by Michigan, or so it seems. Some kids don't want to live in their parents shadows, regardless. Personally I have no issue with JG checking out schools and if he decides on Tennessee or the Buckeyes, then best of luck to him.

Hell...My son didn't want to go into business/technology early on because that's what I did ..you never know with kids... a year later he's all in...though Rutgers (where his sister goes) isn't on the top of his list...yet :)

I would love it if our local writers took up arms in favor of Rutgers. Whenever I travel I see how other cultures support their home teams and it gives me hope that it can be done.

Sports beat writer for the national champs takes some time to write about us... I like it. Smells like relevance to me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT