ADVERTISEMENT

OK, fess up

I'm not sure Jolette would want to leave home, South Carolina, and Dawn Staley. God knows she is qualified. Probably also depends when CVS retires, and what kind of $$$ is available. I think Chelsea is a fan favorite for sure, and would be cheaper, but is she ready for a HC position?
Interesting dilemma. I hope CVS is in on the process with Hobbs. TBD.

I'm not sure Jolette would want to leave home, South Carolina, and Dawn Staley. God knows she is qualified. Probably also depends when CVS retires, and what kind of $$$ is available. I think Chelsea is a fan favorite for sure, and would be cheaper, but is she ready for a HC position?
Maybe now she might be, taking the Illinois HC position might have been when she really wasn't ready.
Jolette went 69-93 overall and 27-59 in the Big Ten in her 5 years (2007-12) as the Illi HC.
Succeeding a famous ex RU WBB HC (Theresa Grentz) who just retired from the Illi WBB HC position .
Jolette might just be a gioodreplacement when CVS decides it's time.
A little story I found ( site might not be the most teliable) makes me thing she looks long term andmight just be able to prove the Illi failure wasn't because she wasn't good enough, just she really wasn't ready and probably knows what went wrong and can do much better now
Jolette Law - Wikipedia
>In her freshman year, Iowa played North Carolina, as close as they would get to her home. Her father arranged for a busload of friends and relatives to go to the game. However, the game was very close, and Stringer didn't think Law was ready yet for the pressure of a close game. By halftime, when Law still hadn't played, the family section was audibly reacting. Stringer could hear it, but chose to ignore it. Th assistant coaches were nervous, but Stringer told them to ignore it. Near the end of the game, the dissatisfaction rose, and Stringer decided to call Joe over for a word. She also asked Jolette to listen. Stringer said, "She's going to be fine... She's not ready now, but she will be...That's all I have to say unless you're serious about her going somewhere else, in which case we need to have a conversation." Jolette chimed in, "I'm learning a lot, but I'm not ready yet." Law's father backed off. <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jolette_Law

Reactions: ScarletteK80
I saw that story earlier. Little things like that you can't just know....but it's part of why CVS has almost 1,000 wins. Great story.
Madhat, do you think Chelsea is ready??

nope not ready.

I saw that story earlier. Little things like that you can't just know....but it's part of why CVS has almost 1,000 wins. Great story.
Madhat, do you think Chelsea is ready??
Not really sure.
Don't know if she's Georgia's #1 assistant or not.
But with her 5 years as a RU assistant and going on three at Georgia. It's probably time for her to move up the coaching ladder.
I'd say Chelsea might do best starting out at a program that isn't in a top conference, then move up some more.
That could have been Jolette's problem : jumping into her first HC position in a B1G school.
A little time gaining HC experience in at a program with less competition, might have helped Law last as a HC and be able to win at a school like Illinios after learning the ins and outs of what it takes to be a winning HC at a program lower on the totem pole as Illinois was/is.

nope failed head coach.

That's a little simplistic of an opinion of Jolette.

Matt Bollant was the superstar coach at Green Bay: then also failed at Illinois after Jolette.
And then Nancy Fahey came in to coach Illinois two years ago: and was 9-22 last year.

(Still, my dream successor for RU is still Courtney Banghart: I love to watch her offenses work like a swiss watch. Unfortunately, probably, some other P5 school will grab her before we do.)

Reactions: MADHAT1
That's a little simplistic of an opinion of Jolette.

Matt Bollant was the superstar coach at Green Bay: then also failed at Illinois after Jolette.
And then Nancy Fahey came in to coach Illinois two years ago: and was 9-22 last year.

(Still, my dream successor for RU is still Courtney Banghart: I love to watch her offenses work like a swiss watch. Unfortunately, probably, some other P5 school will grab her before we do.)
Bill Belichick, New England Patriots head coach, was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 1991-1995 and compiled a record of 36-44. Where would the Patriots be if ownership looked at Belichick's head coaching experience and said, "Nope, failed head coach?"

I don't know who would be best as a replacement for CVS, but I'm leaning more for someone relatively young who could relate to the players and be able sell Rutgers to top-level recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT