ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Getting Rid of Sofa

Lerxst72

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2016
Completely off-topic, but figured I'd give it a try. I'm looking to donate/ give away my old sofa. It's a 86" wide, dark brown/gray, faux leather sofa (not a sleeper). About 6 years old, in good condition. No rips, tears, etc. It's in a house with a dog. I live in the Jackson area, near 195. I've called 5 different charities and they either 1.) don't take furniture or 2.) won't take it because I own a dog. ( I tried posting a pic here but don't know how.)

If you'd like it or know someone who needs it and can come take it away: it's yours. DM for any questions, etc.

Completely off-topic, but figured I'd give it a try. I'm looking to donate/ give away my old sofa. It's a 86" wide, dark brown/gray, faux leather sofa (not a sleeper). About 6 years old, in good condition. No rips, tears, etc. It's in a house with a dog. I live in the Jackson area, near 195. I've called 5 different charities and they either 1.) don't take furniture or 2.) won't take it because I own a dog. ( I tried posting a pic here but don't know how.)

If you'd like it or know someone who needs it and can come take it away: it's yours. DM for any questions, etc.
Option 1, list it on Cragslist under Free Stuff:

Another option, go to your local volunteer fire station and see if they will take it. I gave some lightly used furniture to the firehouse I belonged to years ago, and they were happy to have it.

Third option- haul it down to West Virginia, and leave it on the side of the road with a sign that says "Free Firewood."

On our community Facebook page, people post free stuff like this all the time. They'll just post must be able to haul it away, porch pick-up or curb pick-up.

Reactions: Knight Shift

That is the issue for many . Dogs can harbor flees , ticks , odors snd smells so as nice a gesture this is people are hesitant.

If they are legit…..I put a sofa on Facebook last week. All hits were fake accounts. Hacked accounts. Kenya, Columbia, Eastern Europe. Click this button for shipping instructions. Give me your Venmo code….deleted it 24 hours later.

If they are legit…..I put a sofa on Facebook last week. All hits were fake accounts. Hacked accounts. Kenya, Columbia, Eastern Europe. Click this button for shipping instructions. Give me your Venmo code….deleted it 24 hours later.
I’m the “marketplace” I’ve sold at least 50 or more things on there and never had that happen. Plus, even if you have a phony account try it- you get to see right away it is fake.

I’m the “marketplace” I’ve sold at least 50 or more things on there and never had that happen. Plus, even if you have a phony account try it- you get to see right away it is fake.
I have too but it has degraded recently with way too many automatic "Is this is available?" DM's.
You can certainly click on profiles to see the person but now I just do what others do and simply post in the details that I WILL NOT respond to those. If it is listed it is available.

I used to see those on Craigslist and my neighbor who was an engineer at Boeing once asked me if i thought it was legit that someone in California wanted to buy his used chair. Perhaps this is why doors are flying off planes.

hbhk5zi.jpeg

Funny story...

My wife is constantly selling small 10 to 15 dollar things on FB and doing porch pickup.

One night a few years back.. it's like 6pm, late fall, its dark outside...a guy came to pick something up, couldn't find it. I'm inside with no idea what's about to transpire....while he's searching all over my porch, my neighbor sees this and calls the cops on the guy thinking were getting burglarized.

In the meantime my wife comes home from work and is talking outside a while and I go outside to check what she's doing. I open the garage door and my neighbor comes running up to tell me a guy was rummaging around our porch, I called the police! I point and I'm like that guy talking to my wife doing a FB pickup over there?!

All for 10 bucks lol. And it's good to know my neighbor is so observant in case I really do get robbed one day lol

I like the marketplace as you can see their FB page first. If they just joined, have no friend or photos- it should be obvious what they are. If they have been on FB for years, photos of family, friends, etc…you get a good idea they are legit.

Reactions: Jm0513
Honestly, you put stuff on the curb and it just goes. I had a co-worker once who would put stuff out and have a drinking game with his wife: “Will they take it?”

Honestly, you put stuff on the curb and it just goes. I had a co-worker once who would put stuff out and have a drinking game with his wife: “Will they take it?”
I put out a old bowflex machine on the curb - wondering if someone would want it. That thing was gone in less than 5 minutes. I still have no idea how they grabbed it that fast

Reactions: RUPete
I put out an old bowflex machine on the curb - wondering if someone would want it. That thing was gone in less than 5 minutes. I still have no idea how they grabbed it that fast
There was a time when scrap metal was valued high - stuff flew off the curb. One guy couldn’t fit an old exercise bike in his truck and asked if I could put it aside for a couple of hours. I said no way am I hauling that thing back off the curb! 😂

Reactions: jerzeyguy
I put out a old bowflex machine on the curb - wondering if someone would want it. That thing was gone in less than 5 minutes. I still have no idea how they grabbed it that fast

Bowflex? I bet you're JACKED! ; )

And it's good to know my neighbor is so observant in case I really do get robbed one day lol
The benefits of nosy neighbors. We had one older couple right across from us 25 years ago and I swore they never slept. My wife would get called in at all hours of the night, or I'd leave an hour early at 5 am and when we got home, they'd always ask why we left at the particular time for the day. Another couple to the right, same thing. We were hanging out at our lake beach and my buddy left to get some firewood at my house. I warned him of the neighbor and sure enough, he walks over to ask my buddy why he is taking my firewood from the back yard. He explains that I sent him there and he would text me. Now this is 20+ years ago, and my neighbor at close to 80, didn't even know what a text was. My buddy said it was quite a conversation. He eventually relented and we had the fire at the beach. All four neighbors have risen to the pearly gates.

Option 1, list it on Cragslist under Free Stuff:

Another option, go to your local volunteer fire station and see if they will take it. I gave some lightly used furniture to the firehouse I belonged to years ago, and they were happy to have it.

Third option- haul it down to West Virginia, and leave it on the side of the road with a sign that says "Free Firewood."
Fire department might be a good option.

We have a local fireman wash our windows for us (we have a lot and he used to do that full time before he became a fireman). He's got two boys, 4, and 7. When we moved over here, we brought my collection of still-in-the-box Hess trucks from the 90's and early 2000's that today are worth just about exactly what I bought them for plus inflation. (Don't ask me about passing on a Gretzky rookie card at about $15 back in the day).

At any rate, they were just sitting in storage in my garage and we decided to give them (about 20) to the fireman to give to his boys. Living in NZ, he had never heard of them and was just totally blown away by them (they are such good quality). He saved a few for his kids (who got them for Christmas and loved them), took the fire truck one to the station, where all his co-workers loved it, and then they gave the rest away to families with young kids who might not be getting something really nice for Christmas.

And here is the point: He told us, "As firemen, we tend to know who is in need financially in the local area."

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Fire department might be a good option.

We have a local fireman wash our windows for us (we have a lot and he used to do that full time before he became a fireman). He's got two boys, 4, and 7. When we moved over here, we brought my collection of still-in-the-box Hess trucks from the 90's and early 2000's that today are worth just about exactly what I bought them for plus inflation. (Don't ask me about passing on a Gretzky rookie card at about $15 back in the day).

At any rate, they were just sitting in storage in my garage and we decided to give them (about 20) to the fireman to give to his boys. Living in NZ, he had never heard of them and was just totally blown away by them (they are such good quality). He saved a few for his kids (who got them for Christmas and loved them), took the fire truck one to the station, where all his co-workers loved it, and then they gave the rest away to families with young kids who might not be getting something really nice for Christmas.

And here is the point: He told us, "As firemen, we tend to know who is in need financially in the local area."

It wouldn't hurt to give them a call.
Hi there- are you still in NZ, and is your fire brigade/department volunteer or paid? Just curious.
Even if paid, firefighters often don't get paid a living wage and have to work side jobs to make ends meet.

And yes, at our combination department here in NJ, we quietly do a fair amount of charity work for families in need. Just doing some more of God's work because that is what we do-help the community, however we can.

You might be a little far but try furnished with love in long branch. Call them and ask.

Hi there- are you still in NZ, and is your fire brigade/department volunteer or paid? Just curious.
Even if paid, firefighters often don't get paid a living wage and have to work side jobs to make ends meet.

And yes, at our combination department here in NJ, we quietly do a fair amount of charity work for families in need. Just doing some more of God's work because that is what we do-help the community, however we can.
Yep, still in NZ! But retired as of December! Same deal on fire depts down here. Mix of paid and volunteer. Our guy still does our windows (because he's a really nice guy and we pay well), but I think other than that, he's solely a firefighter. We also give the FDs lamb on a regular basis because the local farmer grazes his sheep on our land and gives us lamb in exchange. But way more than we can eat, and the local FD really likes getting it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT