ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will Corner Tavern ever come back/will owners sell?

Never. Not once, in 36 years.
Ok, I remember a lengthy LoBro tailgate Y/N debate here. I thought you were a prime actor in the discussion.

When did you graduate ? 36 yrs is close to my RU history but missed a few seasons (and never brought LoBro either).

Last edited:
Here are the schools ive been to and where RU ranks tailgate scene wise.

Maryland. RU is better
Penn State. Penn State is slightly better due to RV lot area
Kansas. RU is better
Auburn. RU is better
Ole Miss. #1 in the country, no one competes
Georgia. RU is better
UCF. RU is better
Boston College. RU is better
NC State. RU is better
Arizona State. RU is better
Clemson. VERY similar to RU, except all blacktop, draw.
This is why I like the board, b/c we can discuss things, learn, agree and or disagree, and engage about many topics

IMO...
PSU, Auburn, Ole Miss, UGA, Clemson are all better than RU
PSU only b/c it's a bigger version though
ASU and UCF are interesting cases - especially UCF b/c of the large mall they have and all of the talent running around those 2 places is insane

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Ok, I remember a lengthy LoBro tailgate Y/N debate here. I thought you were a prime actor in the discussion.

When did you graduate ? 36 yrs is close to my RU history but missed a few seasons (and never brought LoBro either).

UC '88, but that was after 4 years in the USAF. We've been season ticket holders since then - our first year was a 1st anniversary gift from my wife.

Truthfully, I have nothing against a good lobro - but "good" is a mark that most people don't / can't hit. It's a challenging cut of meat to do really well and if I'm in the mood for some tailgate beef I'll just bring a bunch of 1" ribeyes.

It would be great if RU could take advantage of the Raritan and do some kind of boat scene like UT and UW, but it's never going to happen. The river adjacent to Johnson Park is not navigable and there is zero inclination on the part of the state to make it so.
I suspect that any kind of dredging above landing lane bridge would require rebuilding LL Bridge.. and they had their chance to do that better recently (in bridge life terms, recentness). Then again, tides and rain levels could really affect water levels there too.. and to make passing LL even possible.

Hmmm.. what if LL bridge was the end point, the dock area.. that could work. Dredging would be minimal. But reworking Johnson Park between the rive and the stadium would be necessary. Probably mostly landscaping, but they'd have to add grove spots, restrooms, and lighting. Maybe get sponsors.. given our difficulties.. how about the Tylenol Groves at Johnson Park? The JnJ Microlax Restrooms... go to other Pharmas for maying teh Bonine or Dramamine Docks...

No I mean there is a disconnect from the Geoge Street establishments to the College Ave/ Easton Ave portion of New Brunswick. I had high hopes when Brother Jimmys was built out that this would help make for an easy transition.

As someone else posted once the Helix and train station project is complete there is a chance that could make for a more cohesive "downtown".

You can walk down George, Easton or College Ave. I used to all the time.

wow , lots of love for a sh$thole that didn’t even try to be a good sh$thole .
The shuffleboard was cool, but otherwise that place sucked.
Now , Kelly’s was solid

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
wow , lots of love for a sh$thole that didn’t even try to be a good sh$thole .
The shuffleboard was cool, but otherwise that place sucked.
Now , Kelly’s was solid
Depends on when you were there. At the "sh$thole", I mean. Late 60's and maybe a few more years were great.

Kelly’s was the best pregame bar to get a strong buzz before the tailgate
Kellys opened at like 6am before GameDay and had cheap breakfast sandwiches and we used to get cinnamon toast crunch shots and mimosas. By 3 o'clock the hangover was like death. But it was a lot of fun.

Reactions: Joey Bags
You can walk down George, Easton or College Ave. I used to all the time.
Not saying you can’t walk. It’s that there is a vast amount of space where there is little or no development (restaurants/bars etc…). It’s not easy to hop from Easton ave to George st. If there were multiple establishments that could link Easton Ave to the west and George Street to the East it would make for a better pedestrian and more “collegiate experience.” Need to build up the train station corridor.

Last edited:
Nice memory of CT for me. Had a shot and a beer there the day of graduation from Rutgers College (on the mall), with two fellow students who also were in my high school graduating class. Richard McCormick (Sr.) gave the commencement address to the last graduating class of RC ('81).
wait a minute. I'm RC 1981 and I remember McCormick giving the speech but I don't remember us being he last graduating class of Rutgers College.
I do remember reorganization being discussed. I had a conversation with Dr. McCormick about the topic before a woman's basketball game. I was working as an usher and he was sitting in my section. He was all in on the reorg while I was clinging to the status of being a Rutgers College student. I regret that I never was able to take his class.
The class of '81 was the first RC class that had more women then men.

wait a minute. I'm RC 1981 and I remember McCormick giving the speech but I don't remember us being he last graduating class of Rutgers College.
I do remember reorganization being discussed. I had a conversation with Dr. McCormick about the topic before a woman's basketball game. I was working as an usher and he was sitting in my section. He was all in on the reorg while I was clinging to the status of being a Rutgers College student. I regret that I never was able to take his class.
The class of '81 was the first RC class that had more women then men.
Living history.... During a lecture, McCormick confessed how he routinely threw a handful of dirt into a production machine he tended as a youngster in a factory, to seize up the mechanism, allowing for a much-needed break in operations, until the machine was repaired. This was told during a survey course (American history) with this episode coinciding with a lecture on industrialization and harsh working conditions etc.

As for '81 and the last of RC, as I recall, in 1982, a faculty/staff reorg occurred under Bloustein, (who handed us our diplomas). RC, as we knew it, was no more. Prior to that change, separate liberal arts faculties existed in the separate NB campuses. Thereafter, though, the "new" consolidated faculty taught at Rutgers–New Brunswick. RC had a number of impressive departments including History. Things changed in '82.

Going back to the bar discussion..

Knight Club is (was) a decent college dive bar. I’d put olive branch and olde queens at same level. Good decent dive college bars.

During my time golden rail, Kelly’s and scarlet pub are below dive grade.

My favorite as an alumn on Easton Ave has been Stuff Yer Face by far. Only bar with outdoor space, beers other than the trash ones, and some editable food. Surprised it hasn’t gotten more mentions in this thread.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
Going back to the bar discussion..

Knight Club is (was) a decent college dive bar. I’d put olive branch and olde queens at same level. Good decent dive college bars.

During my time golden rail, Kelly’s and scarlet pub are below dive grade.

My favorite as an alumn on Easton Ave has been Stuff Yer Face by far. Only bar with outdoor space, beers other than the trash ones, and some editable food. Surprised it hasn’t gotten more mentions in this thread.
Maybe because they had one of the nastiest bathrooms ever.

Not saying you can’t walk. It’s that there is a vast amount of space where there is little or no development (restaurants/bars etc…). It’s not easy to hop from Easton ave to George st. If there were multiple establishments that could link Easton Ave to the west and George Street to the East it would make for a better pedestrian and more “collegiate experience.” Need to build up the train station corridor.

Is this because of the demolition at the base of Easton Ave and Somerset?

Kelly's Corner opened in the late 90's. Located on the corner of Wyckoff and Morrell, it was previously old man bar Frank & Sam's for many decades before
It was there up till recent I heard. I was at RU from 09-13 and we’d do game day breakfast there lol

Never been on the Friends of Frank side. Although it's something that's always kind of appealed to me.

Hey @LeapinLou - we should look into that. We could be Friends of Frank Adjacent. 😂

I've been in the yellow lot consistently since 1985. The red lot is too old/conservative. The blue lot is too young/wild. Yellow is the right mix.

When you guys say "Friends of Frank", are you referring to the Wrublevski tailgate that's always in the front corner of the yellow lot? @RU4Real those guys get their insanely early. Like 5 AM. I am just fine with our timing and where we end up. :)

Reactions: RU4Real
The father and mother passed on a several years prior to covid. Some of the previous posts have mentioned their children, Vinny, Frank, Marie. I believe Vinny is the fire chief in Franklin. In the 30 years that I've been next door, they have never really invested in the the properties. There are 3 lots, the CT, the CoolRunning/Hole in Wall Bagel/the burnt down WelshFarms/SmokeShop.

While there has never been a sign, the properties are for sale. For years I dreamt of buying them and building a Panera there, along with student housing above. I have cooled on the Panera idea since the cinnamon scone and garden vegetable soup have disappeared. I have even paid an architect to do a design plan to see what could go there. My plan is 9/10 stories tall with over 300 beds. However, in 2023 the building costs are so high that I can't get the numbers to work. For example, just the police needed on both Easton/Somerset would cost a half mil during construction. I have consulted with Devco and other national developers, along with project engineers etc to gauge costs. ( I do student housing rentals on the side at RU ).

The properties have most likely been paid off for a couple of generations, so even in their dilapidated state, generate mostly passive revenue. My offer of 3 mil didn't even get a reply. Rumor on the street is 6/7 mil for the properties. The site is too small for the large national groups and too big for the common investor ( me ), so they sit there for 3+ years now. I'd love to be part of a group who could redevelop the site.( @kyk1827 ) No one knows RU college rentals better than me ( sorry @RUskoolie ).
Steve - great stuff. Thanks for the transparency. Would love to be a silent partner and help you fund this but it's not the right fit for me. I guess if the current owners are not spending a penny on upkeep and are simply cashing checks, I can understand why they'd only give that up for a ridiculous payday. Eventually some infrastructure will fail, it will be in disrepair, and then they'll have to sell it in lieu of spending money on a major repair.

I've been in the yellow lot consistently since 1985. The red lot is too old/conservative. The blue lot is too young/wild. Yellow is the right mix.

When you guys say "Friends of Frank", are you referring to the Wrublevski tailgate that's always in the front corner of the yellow lot? @RU4Real those guys get their insanely early. Like 5 AM. I am just fine with our timing and where we end up. :)

No, we're talking about the big tailgate that always sets up along the front fence on the other side of the gravelly road.
ebad4ffc-6304-4db4-b9c7-c6413e85151a_text.gif

Kellys opened at like 6am before GameDay and had cheap breakfast sandwiches and we used to get cinnamon toast crunch shots and mimosas. By 3 o'clock the hangover was like death. But it was a lot of fun.
Fare well $1 burger with fries (that was pretty unbelieveable in the 21st century).

I passed by the place several days ago but didn't have time to look inside. I hope they kept the ceiling. That tin roof (rusted) goes back to the 1850s!

No, we're talking about the big tailgate that always sets up along the front fence on the other side of the gravelly road.
ebad4ffc-6304-4db4-b9c7-c6413e85151a_text.gif
Oh OK. I can honestly say I never noticed that there is the same group consistently there. I'm sure it's lovely but I wouldn't want to be on the other side of the gravel road. I like our spot. :)

@Real is always willing to share the cold Ballpark franks, warm Meister Brau from 1997 and stale brownies from the previous game. This year he’s upping his game to include flash-grilled London Broil and whatever leftovers Philly Pretzels was about to dump the night before.

He’s in the corner nearest the Robeson statue.

Last edited:
I gotta ask...any time I've seen "cold beer" referred to as a selling point, it's been by older people, and I've never given any thought to whether or not the beer will be cold at any bar I've been to. I can't help but wonder, did many bars in the past struggle to keep their beer cold? Why was this a selling point?

Well I definitely had a great time there and have visited multiple times, but visiting Minneapolis didn't feel like I was visiting the college, just felt like I was visiting a city. When you're in New Brunswick you know you're at Rutgers. Likewise with Bloomington and Columbus--there's no mistaking that you're in a college town.
I've been to Minny (the school) about 10 years ago, came away not real impressed with the bar scene next to campus. Now across the river in Minneapolis, I found the bar scene in downtown there to be much better, but yeah it's not college bars. Don't know if that has changed much since 2016 when I last visted.

One B1G bar area I look forward to getting back to is the Haymarket District in Lincoln.

Reactions: robcac26
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT