ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Will be warm (little/no snow) thru ~2/13, then a possible colder and snowier pattern

I had recently proposed one general winter/pattern thread to cover the few to several major pattern shifts that occur in a winter and event threads within 3-5 days as needed, but you didn't seem to like that (or maybe you just didn't want any longer range threads). Are you now proposing one overall winter thread for everything? I had proposed that years ago and you and many others mutinied, lol.
I’m not a fan of anything other than an actual event thread. Those as I’ve said all along are worthwhile an important for those of us who have to be outside when others don’t. The bickering and teasing that goes back and forth is just white noise for me.

The other ones, as I have also said, seem to be a little to “niche-y” for here. But again that’s just my opinion.

I’m not a fan of anything other than an actual event thread. Those as I’ve said all along are worthwhile an important for those of us who have to be outside when others don’t. The bickering and teasing that goes back and forth is just white noise for me.

The other ones, as I have also said, seem to be a little to “niche-y” for here. But again that’s just my opinion.
Gotcha. Fair take, but I'll stick with the occasional pattern thread and will do event threads when snow impact (and occasionally major rain/flooding/wind impacts) for at least some of our area looks at least moderate. FYI, I somewhat arbitrarily define our area as: Philly and the NWS-Mt. Holly parts of SEPA/NEPA, all of NJ, and SENY/NYC/LI, with the 95 corridor from Philly to NYC and nearby locations being the core of that area.

Gotcha. Fair take, but I'll stick with the occasional pattern thread and will do event threads when snow impact (and occasionally major rain/flooding/wind impacts) for at least some of our area looks at least moderate. FYI, I somewhat arbitrarily define our area as: Philly and the NWS-Mt. Holly parts of SEPA/NEPA, all of NJ, and SENY/NYC/LI, with the 95 corridor from Philly to NYC and nearby locations being the core of that area.
And I will continue to do my part.🙅‍♂️

So, last night's 0Z models are all over the map again, instead of being almost all rain, like at 12Z yesterday, for the Monday/Tuesday storm. GFS is a monster snow bomb, the UK is a moderate snowfall for most, the Euro only has appreciable snowfall N of 80 and the CMC goes way north with no snow (and little rain) for everyone. But the NBM (model blend) is showing <1" for most of our region and the NWS thinks a mostly rainy solution is likely, so still not worth a thread yet, IMO, as I don't want to start a thread for what could very well be a non-event moderate rainstorm. Still 5 days out, so much can change.

Beyond that storm, the pattern looks excellent on all of the ensemble model runs for colder than normal (but not brutal cold) and possibly snowier than normal outcomes from mid-Feb through the end of the month and into early March.

So, last night's 0Z models are all over the map again, instead of being almost all rain, like at 12Z yesterday, for the Monday/Tuesday storm. GFS is a monster snow bomb, the UK is a moderate snowfall for most, the Euro only has appreciable snowfall N of 80 and the CMC goes way north with no snow (and little rain) for everyone. But the NBM (model blend) is showing <1" for most of our region and the NWS thinks a mostly rainy solution is likely, so still not worth a thread yet, IMO, as I don't want to start a thread for what could very well be a non-event moderate rainstorm. Still 5 days out, so much can change.

Beyond that storm, the pattern looks excellent on all of the ensemble model runs for colder than normal (but not brutal cold) and possibly snowier than normal outcomes from mid-Feb through the end of the month and into early March.
Your definition of excellent is different than ours.

Looks like temps are pretty average and we get rain to start his pattern change

Dont see 30s for highs til Friday the 16th

Meanwhile the real story normies are talking about is the plus 10 to even plus 15 high temperatures for Friday and Saturday

The other thing to think about during the impending/rumored pattern change is how cold do temps get following an event? If they aren't that cold or near average you can clear things up pretty quickly and don't get a lousy freeze-over like we got after MLK Day.

Your definition of excellent is different than ours.
Is it really worth nitpicking to that extent?

merlin_148394724_dd100bb1-6885-4961-b8af-5b772bde1f49-superJumbo.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: RU848789
The other thing to think about during the impending/rumored pattern change is how cold do temps get following an event? If they aren't that cold or near average you can clear things up pretty quickly and don't get a lousy freeze-over like we got after MLK Day.
its going to be in the 30s at the end of next week into the following week then we see what happens. Not sure what event you are talking about though because Monday event is rain and its going to be in the 40s Tuesday. Any other event are far in the future. He is posting 384 hour snow maps

now that is cold...not low 40s like we will get Monday through Thursday but somehow he is going to take a victory lap on low 40s in February, its truly bizarre

its going to be in the 30s at the end of next week into the following week then we see what happens. Not sure what event you are talking about though because Monday event is rain and its going to be in the 40s Tuesday. Any other event are far in the future. He is posting 384 hour snow maps

now that is cold...not low 40s like we will get Monday through Thursday but somehow he is going to take a victory lap on low 40s in February, its truly bizarre
I was talking about the one we had in January right before the Nebraska home game. Any other event I referenced is hypothetical.

Busy right now and heading out for the afternoon/evening, but based on the 12Z models moving much snowier, will probably start a thread after tonight's 0Z models, assuming they don't all show rain. Today's GFS is a significant snowstorm south of 276/195 (minor/moderate north of there), the Euro is a significant snowstorm N of 78 and minor/moderate south of there, the UK is a minor event with an inch or two of snow and some rain (it's just much drier) and the CMC went from having snow only N of 90 (yes 90 in NY/MA) to having moderate snow N of 80 (and very little S of 78), which is a huge shift southward. This is the closest the models have come to consensus yet (and we don't have consensus, but at least they're not ridiculously far apart). Also, this is the first time we're seeing the NBM (model blend) with more than 1/2" of snow for most of CNJ, as it's now showing a 1-3" snowfall and the NWS follows the NBM pretty closely, so I'd expect to see them become more bullish on snow potential later this afternoon.

Still 4.5-5 days before the start of any precip, so much can change, but the likelihood of a complete miss is pretty low. However, having confidence in a mostly/all rain vs. mostly/all snow or somewhere in between (and where the heaviest precip/snow/rain is) outcome is extremely low at this point. It's also likely that even if there is significant snow falling from the sky, it could have a hard time accumulating with temps likely at or just above 32F and some of the snow falling during the day, unless intensity is fairly high. Just have to wait until the main pieces of energy are over land (still over the Pacific or far north with sparse data inputs leading to higher uncertainty) and until we're closer to the event, when the error bars shrink.

I clearly was posting that ridiculous 384 GFS map in jest, although it does show the potential of the pattern. And you're being ridiculous in completely dismissing any chance of snow for Tuesday and you know it, just like I would be ridiculous if I were guaranteeing snow for Tuesday's storm, especially after seeing today's 12Z models. Either of those positions could end up being right, but there's no basis for either one of those positions right now, i.e., it would be a lucky guess.

I also won't be taking any victory laps unless the pattern satisfies the colder and snowier criteria I outlined earlier, which are very fair criteria typical of those used by mets for pattern verification.

Why post 394 hr map for jest. That's what u claim u did but others calling u out and u say ...no it was for fun. Pleeze

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Busy right now and heading out for the afternoon/evening, but based on the 12Z models moving much snowier, will probably start a thread after tonight's 0Z models, assuming they don't all show rain. Today's GFS is a significant snowstorm south of 276/195 (minor/moderate north of there), the Euro is a significant snowstorm N of 78 and minor/moderate south of there, the UK is a minor event with an inch or two of snow and some rain (it's just much drier) and the CMC went from having snow only N of 90 (yes 90 in NY/MA) to having moderate snow N of 80 (and very little S of 78), which is a huge shift southward. This is the closest the models have come to consensus yet (and we don't have consensus, but at least they're not ridiculously far apart). Also, this is the first time we're seeing the NBM (model blend) with more than 1/2" of snow for most of CNJ, as it's now showing a 1-3" snowfall and the NWS follows the NBM pretty closely, so I'd expect to see them become more bullish on snow potential later this afternoon.

Still 4.5-5 days before the start of any precip, so much can change, but the likelihood of a complete miss is pretty low. However, having confidence in a mostly/all rain vs. mostly/all snow or somewhere in between (and where the heaviest precip/snow/rain is) outcome is extremely low at this point. It's also likely that even if there is significant snow falling from the sky, it could have a hard time accumulating with temps likely at or just above 32F and some of the snow falling during the day, unless intensity is fairly high. Just have to wait until the main pieces of energy are over land (still over the Pacific or far north with sparse data inputs leading to higher uncertainty) and until we're closer to the event, when the error bars shrink.
whats amazing is i just went over there to get the facts and its a completely different interperation of the models than what you are posting here

whats amazing is i just went over there to get the facts and its a completely different interperation of the models than what you are posting here
That's flat out wrong and you know it. Show me one thing I said that was wrong above. My descriptions of the models was pretty clear - I could post them to prove it, but they're not worth posting yet. And my discussion of the uncertainties is very similar to what walt drag and other top mets, such as brooklynwx, are saying. In fact, he just wrote up a fantastic summary of the synoptic setup highlighting the things that might still go wrong, but showing that some accumulating snow for even 95/coast is possible.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/59981-february-2024/?do=findComment&comment=7200829

Also, the NWS-Mt. Holly is much more optimistic than this morning, when they were only calling for a chance of snow well NW of 95; here's their latest...see the part in bold - they're acknowledging that a plowable snow is possible all the way down to 95 (the fall line). And by the way, the 18Z GFS is again showing a significant to major snowstorm for much of the area. It's still somewhat of an outlier, but much less of one than before.

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Unsettled weather on tap for the start of the new work week as
a developing storm system impacts the Northeast and Mid-
Atlantic. However, there are numerous inconsistencies among the
models that leads to a low confidence forecast.

A deep upper trough over the West Coast ejects into the
southern Plains, and the base of the trough pinches off into a
closed upper low over the Southern Plains and Gulf Coast states
Sunday night. Surface low pressure develops out ahead of it and
moves towards the Mid-Atlantic on Monday.

This is where the models go awry. The 12Z/08 ECMWF has the low
passing through southern New Jersey and Delmarva Monday night,
and then the low intensifies off the New Jersey coast as the H5
trough follows behind it Tuesday morning. This system then
departs Tuesday afternoon. In terms of sensible weather, the
predominant ptype will be rain on Monday, changing to snow over
the southern Poconos and northern New Jersey Monday night and
Tuesday as colder air filters into the region behind the
departing low. A plowable snow is possible for those areas, and
possibly even down to the Fall Line.

The surface low is faster in the 12Z/08 CMC, with rain moving
into the region earlier on Monday, and has the low over eastern
Long Island by Tuesday morning. The storm is then gone Tuesday
afternoon before the cold air filters into the region. This
results in minimal snow accumulation.

The outlier, though it has been a consistent outlier, is the
12Z/08 GFS. The storm is much slower, with the low still over
North Carolina and Virginia Tuesday morning, and then passes
through Delmarva during the day Tuesday before departing Tuesday
night. With high pressure building in from the north, cold air
advection will be underway, and temperatures drop to below
freezing across much of the region. This results in at least a
plowable snow across much of southern New Jersey and into
Delmarva.

The NBM snow probabilities have a less than 10 percent chance
for 4 inches of snow or more in 24 hours ending at 00Z Wednesday
for most areas south of the Fall Line, and up to 25 percent
chance for 4 inches of snow or more in the 24 hours ending at
00Z Wednesday for the southern Poconos and northern New Jersey.

Due to the low confidence in the forecast, opted to follow the
NBM guidance closely. This results in likely PoPs for Monday
afternoon and Monday night, and chance PoPs for Tuesday morning.
Opted to keep slight chance PoPs continuing into Tuesday
afternoon, mainly due to the GFS being slower.

Why post 394 hr map for jest. That's what u claim u did but others calling u out and u say ...no it was for fun. Pleeze
Nobody called me out for posting that because I clearly stated my intent, plus I was replying to someone else who had posted it first and all I did was show the zoomed in version; here's what I said: "Zoomed in, just for our forum, because snow, lol. Even though there isn't much model support from the other models for this. I'd be happy with 6" of snow over the next 15 days given how little snow we've had, so I guess we have to wait until we some other models come on board for something like this. It is pretty though." That map showed 24-30" of snow for our area over the next 15 days and I said I'd be happy with 6", which is obviously reasonable. Stop listening to your brother and actually read the thread.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/59981-february-2024/page/51/

This will be a tough forecast to nail. Everyone should chill. Especially this far out. I know it’s an unrealistic request but one can hope.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
That's flat out wrong and you know it. Show me one thing I said that was wrong above. My descriptions of the models was pretty clear - I could post them to prove it, but they're not worth posting yet. And my discussion of the uncertainties is very similar to what walt drag and other top mets, such as brooklynwx, are saying. In fact, he just wrote up a fantastic summary of the synoptic setup highlighting the things that might still go wrong, but showing that some accumulating snow for even 95/coast is possible.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/59981-february-2024/?do=findComment&comment=7200829

Also, the NWS-Mt. Holly is much more optimistic than this morning, when they were only calling for a chance of snow well NW of 95; here's their latest...see the part in bold - they're acknowledging that a plowable snow is possible all the way down to 95 (the fall line). And by the way, the 18Z GFS is again showing a significant to major snowstorm for much of the area. It's still somewhat of an outlier, but much less of one than before.

LONG TERM /SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
Unsettled weather on tap for the start of the new work week as
a developing storm system impacts the Northeast and Mid-
Atlantic. However, there are numerous inconsistencies among the
models that leads to a low confidence forecast.

A deep upper trough over the West Coast ejects into the
southern Plains, and the base of the trough pinches off into a
closed upper low over the Southern Plains and Gulf Coast states
Sunday night. Surface low pressure develops out ahead of it and
moves towards the Mid-Atlantic on Monday.

This is where the models go awry. The 12Z/08 ECMWF has the low
passing through southern New Jersey and Delmarva Monday night,
and then the low intensifies off the New Jersey coast as the H5
trough follows behind it Tuesday morning. This system then
departs Tuesday afternoon. In terms of sensible weather, the
predominant ptype will be rain on Monday, changing to snow over
the southern Poconos and northern New Jersey Monday night and
Tuesday as colder air filters into the region behind the
departing low. A plowable snow is possible for those areas, and
possibly even down to the Fall Line.

The surface low is faster in the 12Z/08 CMC, with rain moving
into the region earlier on Monday, and has the low over eastern
Long Island by Tuesday morning. The storm is then gone Tuesday
afternoon before the cold air filters into the region. This
results in minimal snow accumulation.

The outlier, though it has been a consistent outlier, is the
12Z/08 GFS. The storm is much slower, with the low still over
North Carolina and Virginia Tuesday morning, and then passes
through Delmarva during the day Tuesday before departing Tuesday
night. With high pressure building in from the north, cold air
advection will be underway, and temperatures drop to below
freezing across much of the region. This results in at least a
plowable snow across much of southern New Jersey and into
Delmarva.

The NBM snow probabilities have a less than 10 percent chance
for 4 inches of snow or more in 24 hours ending at 00Z Wednesday
for most areas south of the Fall Line, and up to 25 percent
chance for 4 inches of snow or more in the 24 hours ending at
00Z Wednesday for the southern Poconos and northern New Jersey.

Due to the low confidence in the forecast, opted to follow the
NBM guidance closely. This results in likely PoPs for Monday
afternoon and Monday night, and chance PoPs for Tuesday morning.
Opted to keep slight chance PoPs continuing into Tuesday
afternoon, mainly due to the GFS being slower.

They are telling you to the snow maps are useless in this situation with no real cold air

The thread there is much more accurate then your posting here

They are telling you to the snow maps are useless in this situation with no real cold air

The thread there is much more accurate then your posting here
Of course the snowmaps are of dubious value this far out and in marginal situations, which is precisely why I haven't posted any. People post them on the weather boards all the time, including pro mets when trying to make points about what the models are saying. I said nothing inaccurate in my posts here - I simply briefly described what the models were showing and cautioned people that the models might very well be overdoing snow/precip since we're likely to have above 32F surface conditions and daylight. I still think it's unlikely that the 95 corridor gets more than a bit of slop, but there IS some low (10-20%?) possibility that even 95 will get a plowable snow as the NWS said today.

So this was the first morning where we actually saw some warmth: was 35° to start out the day. Over freezing! WOW!!!

It just hit a blistering 51° in our backyard! WooHoo! Time to break out the Hawaiian shirts and Bermuda shorts!

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Hopefully nobody here takes a rodent's forecasts seriously and this year it's looking very likely the little varmint will be wrong again. Every medium/long-term ensemble model forecast continues to show a major pattern shift starting around 2/13-14 (which is now only 11-12 days away), ushering in colder than normal temps while still having a decent number of storms, which likely equates to a snowier than normal period from about 2/13-14 through the end of Feb (once we get past the warm/snowless first 2 weeks of Feb, which are now a lock) and possibly through mid-March. Given the consistency of the models on this and the decent number of well-respected pros (see below) who are on board with the pattern change, I'm jumping on that bandwagon too and am going out on a limb and calling for colder and snowier than normal conditions from 2/13 through 2/28.

Nick Gregory is the latest met to be on board with this and he's one of the 2-3 best in NYC, IMO. He's generally pretty conservative, but he's calling for a pretty good chance of another ~15" or so of snow for NYC (which means the 95 corridor from at least Trenton to SE CT, really) this winter as per his graphic below, which shows 15-23" of snow for the whole winter for the 95 corridor and the coast (and 25-35" a bit NW of 95). The snow would come after about mid-February, which is when the pattern shift is expected and 15" from mid-Feb through the end of winter would be well above normal (which is about 9-10" during that time).

And if you want to see the nitty gritty details of what, exactly, the models are showing with regard to this pattern change, DT's/WxRisk's video, below does a nice job of that (starting around 8 minutes in), i.e., by mid-Feb, the MJO (Madden-Julian Oscillation) is forecast to be going into phases 8 and 1, the AO (Arctic Oscillation) and NAO (North Atlantic Oscillation) heading negative on the Atlantic side of North America, and the PNA (Pacific/North America pattern) heads positive and the EPO (Eastern Pacific Oscillation) heads negative. Every one of those teleconnections is favorable for eastern US cold and possibly snow in winter.

There are also snowfall maps starting to circulate on social media showing ridiculous amounts of snow for the NE US and our area (like 20-30") from mid-Feb through mid-March. They're fun to look at but a bit silly to forecast this far out. In fact, we've had somewhat similar patterns to what we're expecting to have soon without getting much snow (sometimes too much cold air suppresses storms and sometimes timing just never lines up right for major snowstorms), but these patterns do produce snow for our area much more often than most other patterns and have been responsible for some of our snowiest periods ever, like Feb 2010

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic...n-part-of-the-nyc-subforum-event-obs/page/46/

gPb2cTF.png

Finally, NOAA's CPC (Climate Prediction Center) has partially bought in to this major pattern change but not completely, as the graphics only have the SE US being colder than normal, while the mid-Atlantic and NE US have average temps (and slightly drier than normal conditions) for the 2/17-3/1 period. However, the actual discussion from the CPC mentions a couple of times that colder/wetter is a distinct possibility for the NE US during this time.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/WK34/

emXdRc6.png

Well, I got the first part right, i.e., warm and snowless through 2/12 (I updated the start of the pattern shift to 2/13 in the quoted post above from 2/2), but it's now looking like the pattern shift to colder and possibly snowier that started with a bang yesterday, is likely only going to last for a week or so, as the current pattern is going to break down by mid/late next week. The nice trough we have in the east and the nice ridge we have out in the PacNW will not remain as the subtropical Pacific jet takes over, flooding most of the country with warm air, meaning we start a warmup probably in about a week and it's not clear if this is a temporary break in the pattern or that the pattern is just gone. Probably the latter from what I've been reading. And this all dovetails with the coming changes for the teleconnection indices, which are forecast to move away from favorable states for cold and snow, i.e., we're moving towards AO+, NAO+, PNA- and EPO+ (and not MJO8/1). .

Shit happens and pattern predictions sometimes go awry. Luckily for me, this is kind of just goofing around, i.e., I'm not trying to make a living doing this and having to worry about being wrong about it - the worst thing that will happen is I'll get some crap from some posters and I'll move on. However, the meteorologists who were touting this pattern change so hard are scrambling and trying to explain what happened, but clearly they're going to be way wrong, which is not a great thing if your specialty is medium/long range pattern forecasts.

However, before the pattern breaks down completely, though, we do still have the minor/moderate potential snowfall on Saturday and there is some chance of a winter storm around 2/23, as the pattern decays, which happens sometimes. After that, it looks pretty warm and unlikely to be snowy through the end of February and beyond that, who knows? Not worth speculating beyond 2-3 weeks at this point - in previous pattern threads I posted, I was generally looking ahead at weeks 2 and 3 in the future and most of those verified, but for this one, maybe I flew too close to the sun, lol, as I posted about a pattern at weeks 3 and 4 out - looks like week 3 (2/13-2/19) will verify as colder/snowier than normal, but not beyond that. A couple of good twitter threads below on this if interested.

Reactions: MulletCork
Looks like temps are pretty average and we get rain to start his pattern change

Dont see 30s for highs til Friday the 16th

Meanwhile the real story normies are talking about is the plus 10 to even plus 15 high temperatures for Friday and Saturday

These posts are way more lol-worthy than me missing the 2nd half of the pattern change. Did you enjoy plowing the rain you predicted? And even in the actual storm thread you consistently were downplaying the potential snow, calling for 1-2" on grassy surfaces in CNJ until it became obvious that was going to be wrong as CNJ wound up with a general 4-8".

After this weekend I'm seeing high temps predicted by the NWS in the mid-upper 40's next week and thru the end of the month by TWC.

I choose to believe them lol.

After this weekend I'm seeing high temps predicted by the NWS in the mid-upper 40's next week and thru the end of the month by TWC.

I choose to believe them lol.
You and the NWS are correct. Temps definitely look to go up reaching normal (44/25F is normal on 2/19 for NB) around 2/19 and then going above normal from 2/20 through the rest of next week and likely staying above normal through the end of Feb. Hence my early declaration of defeat on the pattern staying colder beyond 2/19, which means the "colder and potentially snowier" pattern will have lasted just a week (2/13-2/19). And even that week may not end up being below normal, although snowier than normal has already verified for that week, based on NB getting ~4" of snow and another 1-2" of snow will make it a really snowy week (one would expect about 2" per week of snow in Feb, not 5-6").

You and the NWS are correct. Temps definitely look to go up reaching normal (44/25F is normal on 2/19 for NB) around 2/19 and then going above normal from 2/20 through the rest of next week and likely staying above normal through the end of Feb. Hence my early declaration of defeat on the pattern staying colder beyond 2/19, which means the "colder and potentially snowier" pattern will have lasted just a week (2/13-2/19). And even that week may not end up being below normal, although snowier than normal has already verified for that week, based on NB getting ~4" of snow and another 1-2" of snow will make it a really snowy week (one would expect about 2" per week of snow in Feb, not 5-6").
As long as you can make a snowman and I get little if any other than what's expected early Sat, we'll both be happy.

These posts are way more lol-worthy than me missing the 2nd half of the pattern change. Did you enjoy plowing the rain you predicted? And even in the actual storm thread you consistently were downplaying the potential snow, calling for 1-2" on grassy surfaces in CNJ until it became obvious that was going to be wrong as CNJ wound up with a general 4-8".

Whats amazing is for all your model watching the models flipped 48 hours out to something radically different

So yes my originial thoughts were in line with modelling at the time and mt holly forecast

Egregious you claim a victory on a modelling flip that wasnt foreseen

And yes im right about temperatures and the so called pattern change basically being February weather

Meantime the real news were highs 13-18 degrees above normal for 4 days

The constant bickering on weather threads is—and has been in my view—way over the top. Maybe below is the resolution.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT