ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics Thread official or unofficial (Please no spoilers).

RUtix4me

All American
Gold Member
Jan 18, 2015
Do we keep a running olympic thread?

Well they are here and our ladies "kicked" things off with a 2-0 over NZ with our own Carli Lloyd tallying the first goal. I am not confident that these olympics will be well executed, but hope that they go as smooth as possible. Feel free to put thoughts, prognostications or biotch about the concept, competition, results or even PEDs.

Looking forward to the opening ceremonies on Friday.

I found it humorous that every time Hope Solo touched the ball the crowd jeered her heavily and shouted "ZIKA" when she kicked it. Solo has been making fun of the precautions she has to take as a result of the Zika threat.

I am working in RIO in my 5th olympics. The facilities are way better than are being reported. EVERY Olympics gets slammed as "not ready" or costing too much. Even London had its detracters. It happens every time. Almost every olympics makes money....just not immediately. For instance the new high rise I am housed in will be low-medium income housing and many of the venues will be public athletic facilities when the games are over.

I am having a great time. Despite working long days(security related) I am fully enjoying the public transportation and MOSTLY the TREK bike I am allowed to have for the duration. I am especially enjoying the food hall/dining options on "campus".....in fact living and eating here totally reminds me of a college "campus"........loving it so far!!
:beer::pizza::burger::cheers2::cookie::popcorn:>>>>>>:cool2:

I am working in RIO in my 5th olympics. The facilities are way better than are being reported. EVERY Olympics gets slammed as "not ready" or costing too much. Even London had its detracters. It happens every time. Almost every olympics makes money....just not immediately. For instance the new high rise I am housed in will be low-medium income housing and many of the venues will be public athletic facilities when the games are over.

I am having a great time. Despite working long days(security related) I am fully enjoying the public transportation and MOSTLY the TREK bike I am allowed to have for the duration. I am especially enjoying the food hall/dining options on "campus".....in fact living and eating here totally reminds me of a college "campus"........loving it so far!!

I read where the US men's basketball team is staying on a luxury liner. You need that gig cause you know they are getting extra special treatment.

Enjoy your time sir.

I was having lunch in Montclair a few weeks, and who do I sit down next to in a quiet restaurant, but Steve Politi and his wife. So I ask him if he was going to cover the RU August Football camp, and he said something like "no, but I wish I was', as the Ledger was sending him to Brazil for the Olympics'. He wasn't too thrilled and his wife seemed worried as that week the Zika story was starting to break. I asked him who he was going down with, and he said probably nobody else from the Ledger. I thought that a bit strange.
We talked a bit about Rutgers football, Flood and Julie too. He was still confident that all the stuff he wrote about Julie from when she was at L'ville, was absolutely spot on. I got on him a bit about the UNC scandal (he's a UNC grad) and he admitted they deserve a stiff penalty and a lot of alums feel the same.

I was having lunch in Montclair a few weeks, and who do I sit down next to in a quiet restaurant, but Steve Politi and his wife. So I ask him if he was going to cover the RU August Football camp, and he said something like "no, but I wish I was', as the Ledger was sending him to Brazil for the Olympics'. He wasn't too thrilled and his wife seemed worried as that week the Zika story was starting to break. I asked him who he was going down with, and he said probably nobody else from the Ledger. I thought that a bit strange.
We talked a bit about Rutgers football, Flood and Julie too. He was still confident that all the stuff he wrote about Julie from when she was at L'ville, was absolutely spot on. I got on him a bit about the UNC scandal (he's a UNC grad) and he admitted they deserve a stiff penalty and a lot of alums feel the same.

Man got that much info sitting next to him at dinner? I hope you bought him coffee and dessert. I think one of our runners s repping a country from south america, is that correct? Anyone know?

Do you get to share in the endless condom distribution?

Bump. I am on vacation with my fam in Eastern Europe and this insight is valuable. Please keep contributing!

The shitstorm is gonna hit rio after the olympics...it will still be an open sewer that's broke, corrupt and filthy...and the people will be screwed for it...but yay they hosted the olympics!

Reactions: knightfan7
Spoiler Alert about who will light the cauldron at the Opening Ceremonies:

Actually, it would have been more accurate to have said,"Spoiler Alert about who will NOT light the cauldron at the Opening Ceremonies." Many people were predicting that the honor would go to Pele, but this article says his health is too poor to attend. I don't know who WILL light the flame.

Tom Brady's model wife Giselle
PS- what's the time diff ? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Other possibilites:
Neymar
Marta
Helio Castranoves
Ronaldinho
Ronaldo
Kaka

On a serious note I'm rooting like heck for Carli and Michael Phelps to shine. Carlie already off to a good start.

Last edited:
Did Michael Phelps say the US has a diverse team with people from all over the world?

This opening ceremony sucked. 1st in flight my ass, let's dance. Rain Forest blah blah, let's dance. Girl from Ipanema, lets show Giselle dancing. Then the sewer pit of the world tries to lecture the world on carbon emissions and global warming. Only cool part was the people moving in unison with the strings. The rest, they should have just made it a huge night club and saved some money on the props.

Last edited:
I'm on West Coast time and haven't seen the opening ceremony yet, but it's nice to know that the usual RU negativity doesn't skip a beat.

Check Twitter. Its pretty universal. Or get back to us in 3 hours.

I will say the Tonga flag carrier is the winner for the night. #SpoilerAlert

The Olympics makes money? That's laughable & not backed by any empirical data. You might be the only person on the planet that thinks it's worth spending billions to host an Olympics because you make $. Brazil is a disaster with raw sewage, garbage, poverty & some nice athletics venues that'll never be used from the World Cup & Olympics.

The Olympics like Soccer are a Communist Conspiracy and will have nothing to do with them!

Good day!

Worst part after 4.5hrs was that I didn't add extra time to my dvr recording and nbc didn't schedule enough time in the actual programming listing---so I missed the ending with the torch lighting.
Kind of funny watching all the guys in the crowd around Giselle basically just recording her on their phones.

Mike as much as you can what is your security backgound? Former cop? I assume you have training w guns as well as SORA (just got mine).

Worst part after 4.5hrs was that I didn't add extra time to my dvr recording and nbc didn't schedule enough time in the actual programming listing---so I missed the ending with the torch lighting.
Kind of funny watching all the guys in the crowd around Giselle basically just recording her on their phones.

I had to start a new recording at 12:05 am because they still had not lit the torch. I was exhausted and bored but I promised the kids that I would DVR it.

The Olympics makes money? That's laughable & not backed by any empirical data. You might be the only person on the planet that thinks it's worth spending billions to host an Olympics because you make $. Brazil is a disaster with raw sewage, garbage, poverty & some nice athletics venues that'll never be used from the World Cup & Olympics.

Real Sports on HBO did an entire show on the Olympics. In order to build the main stadium for Rio the government bulldozed an entire neighborhood and sent 30k people to the street. The government also reneged on their promise to finally build a sewer system in Rio. Feces still pours out of houses and runs in the streets.

Given the financial difficulties in the countey, not the best opening ceremonies, but then again, does it always have to be better more expensive? Closing is usually the fun one

I did the same but I do have to agree w/ Mrs Screw, it was the worst opening ceremony that I can remember and I am a HUGE Olympic fan. And the 3 hosts NBC picked were horrible. I get there isn't much to say about people walking into the stadium but they were putting me to sleep and it had nothing to do w/ the time. They were just so not enthusiastic and it just seemed like they were reading.

Reactions: MrsScrew
There was one bright spot for me last night - no Bob Costas. In past Olympics he would make it a point to talk over the stadium announcer when the USA team would enter. It was refreshing to actually hear the PA announcer introduce us.

Reactions: tico brown
USA vs Croatia in Water Polo on RIGHT NOW !

I don't know what the hell I'm looking at, but they are keeping score and it's 0-0 early. The pool looks lovely.

Time to cut the lawn.

I had a lot more issues with NBC than with the actual opening ceremony. Their shameless self promotion, banal commentariat, and endless commercials ( somebody has to pay for NBC's bid) made for very difficult watching.

Given the very severe budgetary restraints that they were working with, the actual production wasn't nearly as bad as suggested by others here. I thought the show captured the colors, music, passions, history and culture of Brazil albeit without the technological wizardry of the last few opening ceremonies. We've become spoiled. Sometimes, simpler is good enough. Brazilian music is infectious.I thought the show captured that pulse- when NBC didn't get in the way.

USA water polo leads 2-1 over defending champs Croatia , Croatia scored off a nice shot by Ivan Jerkanov. Now tied at 2.
Fast action. Nice swimmi caps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT