ADVERTISEMENT

Olympics Thread official or unofficial (Please no spoilers).

Women's road race is on now. If if it half as excting as men's race watch it. They say this is the most difficlt course ever.

Holy crap, dutch woman leading the race did this. American now in the lead

Refs are doing everything they can to let the Brazilian BB team make a huge comeback. What a disgraceful job .

Dutch TV is reporting she is conscious and on way to the hospital.

US had the lead until final 150m...did not medal

Last edited:
RIO DE JANEIRO – The International Paralympic Committee on Sunday banned Russia’s entire Paralympic team from competition in the upcoming Paralympic Games due to a state-sponsored performance enhancing drug ring. The Paralympics take place here in Rio just after the close of the Olympics.

And yes, you read that correctly: the Paralympic team. Not the Olympic team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-ol...st-ask-russias-paralympic-team-172446897.html

Is anyone interested in the preliminary basketball games, mens or womens? So non competitive.

Fencing men's epee final coming up in 20 minutes! USA!

RIO DE JANEIRO – The International Paralympic Committee on Sunday banned Russia’s entire Paralympic team from competition in the upcoming Paralympic Games due to a state-sponsored performance enhancing drug ring. The Paralympics take place here in Rio just after the close of the Olympics.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-ol...st-ask-russias-paralympic-team-172446897.html
I just heard the Russian swimmers are allowed to swim. The swimming committee pulled a sneaky trick and just entered their names on the competition sheets without announcing it to anybody. Spineless bastards.

Let this be the last Olympics. It made sense at the time of the Greeks, but not today.

It causes obesity. People are going to be watching TV, drinking alcohol and eating bad foods and then have all kinds of health problems.

Also since football is not included, Americans are not interested. Wouldn't you like to see US vs Russia? Israel vs Iran? North Korea vs. South Korea?

Is that USA vs NZ on NBC now with Rugby ? The Rugby ball looks like a basketball lol. They are 'tough' looking chicks though :smiley:

Down 5-0, after our mens volleyball team gets taken to the woodshed by the Canucks.

Let this be the last Olympics. It made sense at the time of the Greeks, but not today.

It causes obesity. People are going to be watching TV, drinking alcohol and eating bad foods and then have all kinds of health problems.

Also since football is not included, Americans are not interested. Wouldn't you like to see US vs Russia? Israel vs Iran? North Korea vs. South Korea?
FAT LIVES MATTER!

I just heard the Russian swimmers are allowed to swim. The swimming committee pulled a sneaky trick and just entered their names on the competition sheets without announcing it to anybody. Spineless bastards.
One russian female swimmer (eforima sp?) who has tested positive for PEDs multiple times appealed and was allowed to swim (and she won her heat).

Serena & Venus Williams down a set in doubles vs Czech. on Bravo channel.

Good players unfortunate names.

Who can forget:

dingleberrydykes.jpg

And it's over in 2 lackluster sets in the opening . Both sets not even close. Venus and Serena played like they were in a rush to get back to the hotel. If they didn't want to play they should have let another doubles team play.
Didn't you know, they hate America

IOC meet NCAA. two inept organizations.

YES, Phelps with #19!!! Brought tears to my eyes as more than a few stories (such as the refugee team). Got my wish to see Phelps win Gold in RIO-atv one point he was finished((I know Mom Phelps wanted RIIO from 2012).

Great to see the US team being a bit more appreciative of participation-and not spoiled brats unhapopy with anything but Gold. Katie? Volmer in swimming (as was anmother bronze medalist US male winner) getting a bronze afterv having her child.

On the downside, the Williams sisters are pulling some real clunkers. Venus? already lost in two events-one to a 63rd or so ranked player.

Random thought & comments:

Phelps has to be part fish. He just has to be.

Russian swimmers were soundly booed by the crowd

American women's gymnastics is kicking major butt. What these girls are doing is just incredible, particularly on the 4" wide balance beam. Just crazy.

And can we talk about the 41 year old gymnast from Uzbekistan competing in her 7th Olympics? She has a son older than some of the girls she is competing against.

Staying up until midnight for 2 weeks is going to make waking up at 5am for work painful. Very painful.

Last edited:
Laurie Hernandez of NJ got robbed by not being able to compete in the all around in womens gymnastics, even though she was 2nd in the US trials. Imagine in any other sport where you finish 2nd and aren't able to be on the team. Yes she will be able to compete in some other events but honestly I hate politics and judges when it comes to sport. And yes, her brother is on the RU track team!

How
Laurie Hernandez of NJ got robbed by not being able to compete in the all around in womens gymnastics, even though she was 2nd in the US trials. Imagine in any other sport where you finish 2nd and aren't able to be on the team. Yes she will be able to compete in some other events but honestly I hate politics and judges when it comes to sport. And yes, her brother is on the RU track team!

is the judging at the olympics different than the trials? There was a competition yesterday, she didnt make the top two from our country, she cant compete in the all around? Thats like saying a sprinter broke the world record at the trials therefore he should advance automatically to the finals at the olympics. Judges put her on the team, judges scored yesterdays event. Did they do something unethical to her yesterday? Trials and olympics, two separate competitons..

How

is the judging at the olympics different than the trials? There was a competition yesterday, she didnt make the top two from our country, she cant compete in the all around? Thats like saying a sprinter broke the world record at the trials therefore he should advance automatically to the finals at the olympics. Judges put her on the team, judges scored yesterdays event. Did they do something unethical to her yesterday? Trials and olympics, two separate competitons..

It's up to the US coaches to decide who will compete in what events, not the judges. By leaving her off the uneven bars she was not able to compete in the all around. Instead the US coach chose Gabby Douglas who ultimately didn't qualify in the all around. Laurie would have been a favorite for a medal since I believe she had the 2nd highest score in the world this year. Yes she will still get to compete for medals in individual events but competing and hopefully medaling in the all around, that is the goal for any gymnast.

Can't believe how incredibly empty some venues are (actually I can...). What were they thinking with the size of a few of them?

Even futbol attendance is shockingly low at non-Brazilian or Argentinian matches. I'm watching a match between Denmark and South Africa - a replay from last night - at which there are at best a couple thousand fans, most of whom have Brazil jerseys on - scattered throughout what is likely a 50,000+ seat venue. Awful, just awful.

Can't believe how incredibly empty some venues are (actually I can...). What were they thinking with the size of a few of them?

Even futbol attendance is shockingly low at non-Brazilian or Argentinian matches. I'm watching a match between Denmark and South Africa - a replay from last night - at which there are at best a couple thousand fans, most of whom have Brazil jerseys on - scattered throughout what is likely a 50,000+ seat venue. Awful, just awful.

Its sad because every Olympics the prices of the tickets are so high (ditto accommodations) it scares many away. Then often the prices go down last minute.

I don't think it helped here that there were many negative comments re RIO early including Zika and security concerns.

Also perhaps there is a cultural factor. Also Brazil natives want to see Brazil win. The US women are heavily favored.

Ash:

- this is easily the worst attended Olympic Games I've seen in a couple of decades so I don't want to hear about "ticket prices" being "too high." Atlanta, London, Beijing, Sidney, Athens events were packed all over the place at almost every venue throughout the games. There were even empty seats - swaths of them - at gymnastics the last 2 days, which is typically the hardest ticket to get, even this early in the week.

- of course Zika has had an effect no question there my friend

- not sure what your comment about Brazilians want to see Brazilians win and the U.S. women being heavily favored means, sorry, lol!

- well aware of how poor Brazil is my friend. Probably never should have been awarded the games but, hey, I'm watching them and loving them, rooting for the USA and underdogs, nonetheless!

Last edited:

This isn't the only reason but I just read an article talking about how there were lots of stadiums/events with empty stands but really long lines outside waiting to get in. It mentione cluster F's with screening (between diff security teams from govt, venue, etc) and getting people in and how some people would either leave the lines and skip the event or just not get in for a long time.

This isn't the only reason but I just read an article talking about how there were lots of stadiums/events with empty stands but really long lines outside waiting to get in. It mentione cluster F's with screening (between diff security teams from govt, venue, etc) and getting people in and how some people would either leave the lines and skip the event or just not get in for a long time.

I could see that for certain events (or is it just a Brazilian news outlet trying to help "save face"??) with some empties, no doubt, but I'm talking some of these events are so sparsely attended it's scary. Events that - believe it or not - I've seen packed stands for in the past: rowing, white-water kayak, field hockey, soccer, etc. etc.. It's a shame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT