ADVERTISEMENT

On The Banks article: Rutgers men’s basketball has lost its way

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
SIAP, but didn't see it, so here it is. Some excellent insights into what has gone wrong and some great questions about the program, as per the excerpt below.

This is the type of loss that warrants full examination of everything within the program. Nothing should be off the table in regard to the lineup, playing time, roles, meal times, practice schedule, etc. The loss to DePaul was concerning but it wasn’t reason to panic. A loss of this magnitude makes it fair to question everything and fear the worst.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2021/11/...tsopmmSzVIvbsCRMs2fvisdE1uK7VIS64FXBAW8dpg7Y4

To me the lack of hustle is even more concerning than the lousy shooting. They looked like they were playing in quicksand last night. They desperately lack a fiery leader who will ratchet things up and get in peoples faces.

Reactions: RU848789
The mentality of this team must change and change now. I agree with On the Banks writer Aaron Breitman that the team is playing soft. There is no warrior mentality out on the Court save for maybe Cliff (who most be a more dominant force on the boards). They need to will themselves into the paint and then to dominate the paint once there. Crash the boards!!! Get fouled. Score put backs. Put the bunnies in the basket. Play with desperation. Be tough without fouling. Push the ball up the court and look for transition point opportunities every chance they get. Show grit and determination for every second of the game. This the change I am looking for.

Reactions: bethlehemfan
The picture in the article makes the defensive lapse even worse to me than seeing it live. He wasn't even close.

It comes down to 0 and 24. Going forward they need to be treated like 45,2, or Luke Nathan.

After the January loss to PSU Mathis and Young were taken out of the starting lineup. MAthis got 7 minutes the next game. When Pike watches the tape he will realize he made a massive mistake not pulling Harper. Baker needs to know if he is in proper help position in half court or transition and he doesn't take the charge he sits. What 2 and 45 need to do to see the court should be the same for 0.

Reactions: RU848789
The picture in the article makes the defensive lapse even worse to me than seeing it live. He wasn't even close.

It comes down to 0 and 24. Going forward they need to be treated like 45,2, or Luke Nathan.

After the January loss to PSU Mathis and Young were taken out of the starting lineup. MAthis got 7 minutes the next game. When Pike watches the tape he will realize he made a massive mistake not pulling Harper. Baker needs to know if he is in proper help position in half court or transition and he doesn't take the charge he sits. What 2 and 45 need to do to see the court should be the same for 0.
Posted this in another thread, but it looks like it was really just Ron trying to help on the mismatch down low. Lafayette’s big set a ball screen on Mag and Cliff switched onto the ball handler which left Mag following their big who was rolling to the basket. Harper was anticipating a pass to the big, who had a step and a lot of size on Mag and would have probably had a pretty easy look, and took a step that way which put him a step too far from his man to close out on the three.

Last edited:
That is a borderline moving screen. I think we can allocate blame to 3 parties. Mag for getting screened, Cliff for not hedging better and Ron for not getting out on shooter. Ron definitely needed to be mindful of helping dribble penetration, especially with Cliff on a guard

Reactions: cm_13
That is a borderline moving screen. I think we can allocate blame to 3 parties. Mag for getting screened, Cliff for not hedging better and Ron for not getting out on shooter. Ron definitely needed to be mindful of helping dribble penetration, especially with Cliff on a guard
Looks like Jaden also had the same idea as Ron and ended up about a mile away from his man who was also wide open on the perimeter.

The mentality of this team must change and change now. I agree with On the Banks writer Aaron Breitman that the team is playing soft. There is no warrior mentality out on the Court save for maybe Cliff (who most be a more dominant force on the boards). They need to will themselves into the paint and then to dominate the paint once there. Crash the boards!!! Get fouled. Score put backs. Put the bunnies in the basket. Play with desperation. Be tough without fouling. Push the ball up the court and look for transition point opportunities every chance they get. Show grit and determination for every second of the game. This the change I am looking for.
1,000%. We play soft and scared.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
On that play we should have been defending the 3 point line. Terrible.
If Ron wasn’t in position to help……how can we get beat with Cliff on a guard with no help

If Ron was higher and in a better position to get back to his shooter…..how can we get beat in final possession back door

Reactions: cm_13
If Ron wasn’t in position to help……how can we get beat with Cliff on a guard with no help

If Ron was higher and in a better position to get back to his shooter…..how can we get beat in final possession back door
Ron wasn’t even in position to help. He was in no mans land. The roll was defended. If cliff puts his hands up and pushes the guard out there is no dump down and no shot. Harp blew it badly. The shot clock was running down too. Jus a terrible job.

I think he was in a position to stop the guard if he continued to the paint.

keep in mind I watched in on YouTube on my iphone

My take away from the play: a basketball team using A SCREEN to free up a player for a shot. A fundamental basketball play which is utterly foreign to Coach Pike and his team.

My take away from the play: a basketball team using A SCREEN to free up a player for a shot. A fundamental basketball play which is utterly foreign to Coach Pike and his team.
It was a pick and roll. A staple. The guy that made the shot was standing at the theee point line.

I just don't like the makeup of this year's team, only speed hasn't played through 5 games, 1 legit center, and a whole bunch 3s and 4s, like filling a defense with LBs playing Safety and DEs, with 1 corner and 1 DT, it just doesn't work.

Walkons- Logan Stevens- 6'2 197, Aiden Terry 5'10 160, Andrew Fullin 6'6 195
Geo 6'4" 185, Jalen Miller 6'2 200
Cliff 6'11 245, Luke Nathan 6'11" 240

*Paul 6'6 213(Wing), Hyatt 6'6 227(Undersized 4), RHJ 6'6 245(Undersized 4)
Caleb 6'7 200(Wing), Mawot 6'7 216,(Wing)
Jaden Jones 6'8 220(Guard skills, Wing size), Oskar 6'8 220(Wing),
Ralph 6'8 245(Undersized 5), Reiber 6'10 220(Stretch 4 skills)*

That is 9 out of 13 scholarships, all in the Wing/4s mold, but filling in at 2s and 5s with no business being there for 20 minutes a game, but nothing to see here according to Pike who think we are 1 possession away from 5-0??!?

We have struggled in all 5 games and have played well only in the 2nd half runs against Merrimack(Down 27-29 to 48-34, 21-5 run 13:18 to 1:39) and NJIT(32-35 to 59-45, 27-10 run 18:57 to 9:37) out of 200 minutes, this year. Lehigh +6, Depaul +7, Lafayette +6. We are shooting 37.4% from the field and 24.2 from 3, but nothing's wrong or needs to be fixed? 🤔🤔🤔

This is comedy. Imagine having discourse about how to beat Lafayette. Have a good night lol.

Reactions: KevH
By observation. The guard passed to the guy on the three point line because clif cut off the drive and the roll was defended well while Ron was flat footed in no mans land leaving the guy with a wide open shot.
It wasn’t well defended though. Quinn was being trailed by Mag who he has about 5 inches and 45 pounds on, it’s a mismatch. Doesn’t even have to be a particularly good pass to get Quinn a good look there.

It wasn’t well defended though. Quinn was being trailed by Mag who he has about 5 inches and 45 pounds on, it’s a mismatch. Doesn’t even have to be a particularly good pass to get Quinn a good look there.
Harp was not close to being able to help even if true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT