ADVERTISEMENT

One Men's Lacrosse Prediction

I'm not making any predictions on that, because we haven't even started preseason yet and so much can happen.

But as of today, and I'm taking off my Scarlet glasses which is not easy to do, we are a top 4 team. We are deep, and have 13 seniors, most of which has played a TON of lacrosse. They are men now.

Duke has a lot of talent, but much of it is young. Maryland is defending champs and has a lot of young talent, but graduated a bunch too. Denver has a lot coming in and back and UNC is always stacked to the gills with talent.

That is my top 5, in no real order, outside of maybe having Duke 1, since they made the tourney last year and we didn't.

Don't want to give too much away, mostly because I don't know specifics, which even if I did I wouldn't post it until it is released, but keep an eye out for some interesting news this month from a player perspective.

If we are this good why don’t we get better players out of NJ?

I'm not making any predictions on that, because we haven't even started preseason yet and so much can happen.

But as of today, and I'm taking off my Scarlet glasses which is not easy to do, we are a top 4 team. We are deep, and have 13 seniors, most of which has played a TON of lacrosse. They are men now.

Duke has a lot of talent, but much of it is young. Maryland is defending champs and has a lot of young talent, but graduated a bunch too. Denver has a lot coming in and back and UNC is always stacked to the gills with talent.

That is my top 5, in no real order, outside of maybe having Duke 1, since they made the tourney last year and we didn't.

Don't want to give too much away, mostly because I don't know specifics, which even if I did I wouldn't post it until it is released, but keep an eye out for some interesting news this month from a player perspective.

Current or future? Good or bad? Com'on brotha'!

We are getting good players out of NJ. We just signed the number 1 defenseman from NJ who ND made a strong push for up until signing day (they also made a push for one of our other players out of Chicago). He was a BIG pick up. The other defenseman we signed was one of the best in the state too. Two other kids that are current freshman were recruited by Syracuse. There are great players on the roster and that coming in from NJ. The 3 2020 kids that we have verballed are probably all top 10 in the state in their class right now.

Others can speak to it more, but it's sort of like you see in football. Alot of the private school kids just simply want to get out of the state.

That's changing though as we ascend, and fortunately, we have been able to bring in a lot of talent out of the state too which is by design. Brian will always have a well rounded roster geographically. Even when he is getting the best from NJ, he isn't going to focus all efforts there. Kids from different areas bring different skill sets. Brian likes that and you can see why. It's a long process but if we go on a run this year, more and more NJ kids are going to jump on board. We've never been closer across the board to landing some of these kids that have went to Duke and other big time schools. Brian will knock this door down too. The number 1 recruit in the country from IMG was very seriously considering Rutgers. Many believe we would have had him had we been able to get him in. We are close.

Fortunately we have always had and still have a pipeline to Bridgewater Raritan, which is always one of the best programs in the state, and routinely pumps out great talent every year. Our current roster has one kid from there who is a player, and at least one more on the way that is known. There are other posters here who can speak more about NJ and recruiting. They are super knowledgeable.

As an alum, I like having NJ kids on the roster. It's our base and always will be. For good reason. Those kids can ball and are the equal to anyone, anywhere. But I more like getting the best players we can and winning. I don't care where they come from. It's all about winning.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't really know too much and wouldn't say it if I did, but if it happens, it's definitely not anything but good. And it would be the future, but the very immediate future.

you da' man...let me know which game you're coming out for this year gotta catch up!

Reactions: Caliknight
They have committed 2020 those are 10th graders really. Wow, that seems awful early what schools are they from

I'm here in Denver where Denver University is a powerhouse, recent winners of the national championship and has one of the best (arguably the best) coaches in the history of lacrosse. They continually lose players that want to go out of state. This is why their staff recruits Canada and other regions so heavily.

I would love to hear from coach Brecht or other coaches how they target a recruiting class in regards to NJ kids. When they look at the NJ recruits, they have to figure out what players they want, positions of need, and then maybe hope they can get 30% of those players (that % is a wild guess).

I actually saw an RU assistant coach at a tournament in Vegas last month of mainly CA, CO, WA and AZ teams, these guys are putting in their time.

They have committed 2020 those are 10th graders really. Wow, that seems awful early what schools are they from

Lacrosse recruiting was happening very early until recent changes. There are numerous examples of 8th graders verballing to schools. By 9th grade far more so. Changes have been made though so that’s slowed down.

Not sure what schools they go to but I know two of them play for Leading Edge which is a powerhouse NJ club team.

Lacrosse recruiting was happening very early until recent changes. There are numerous examples of 8th graders verballing to schools. By 9th grade far more so. Changes have been made though so that’s slowed down.

Not sure what schools they go to but I know two of them play for Leading Edge which is a powerhouse NJ club team.
Do the club teams mean more than the HS team? Is it like AAU BB?

Hopefully we have a good relationship with whoever runs that team. So we get a lot of kids from this team?

Rutgers is getting good in state kids. They also get good out of state kids. They find kids that fit their program.

I have a kid who, hopefully, will be committing to Rutgers. Rutgers lacrosse offer is the dream for a lot of kids in state.

Rutgers is getting good in state kids. They also get good out of state kids. They find kids that fit their program.

I have a kid who, hopefully, will be committing to Rutgers. Rutgers lacrosse offer is the dream for a lot of kids in state.

Your attackman committed though, right?

Your attackman committed though, right?

Two club kids committed (attackmen and midfielder) and I have a 2020 who hopefully will be committing on my HS team.

There has been a lot of people trying to poach the midfielder.

I am a club head coach, and a head high school coach. I coach at a high school in Hunterdon County.
Oh ok, Hunterdon Central is supposed to be really good. Is that where you coach?

I love learning about the growth of this sport. The Howell HS coach recently sent out an email to all my Pop Warner football players which is brilliant because of the overlapping skill sets. He says he so often hears the HS kids turn to lax for the first time and say, "i wish i knew about this in Pop Warner." My ten year old son is going to his instructional clinic next week with a few of his teammates with the intention of playing their first ever lax season this spring.

I live in Somerset county are there any good teams there, I don't think our town has it but we are close to Bridgewater.

I can't speak to Somerst, but if you have kids and want to get them into lax, BR is an incredible option. They have been doing it at every level for decades.

I love learning about the growth of this sport. The Howell HS coach recently sent out an email to all my Pop Warner football players which is brilliant because of the overlapping skill sets. He says he so often hears the HS kids turn to lax for the first time and say, "i wish i knew about this in Pop Warner." My ten year old son is going to his instructional clinic next week with a few of his teammates with the intention of playing their first ever lax season this spring.

They will never look back after this. Especially if they played baseball.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Two club kids committed (attackmen and midfielder) and I have a 2020 who hopefully will be committing on my HS team.

There has been a lot of people trying to poach the midfielder.

Who is the middie, Aimone?

They will never look back after this. Especially if they played baseball.
My son never wanted to play baseball. He took one look at it and decided there was too much standing around lol. He has watched his cousin play some good football and lax at SJV plus his own sister has played lax for a few years now so he is ready to take the plunge. I flat out told him "you are not going to specialize in one sport at your age so pick another in addition to football." Personally i think he will make a better lax player than football player so im looking forward to spring.

Btw, football and lacrosse are great cross over sports that will help one another. Basketball and hockey the same. Those sports all have some similar traits to help each other.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Btw, football and lacrosse are great cross over sports that will help one another. Basketball and hockey the same. Those sports all have some similar traits to help each other.
I use my cert in youth fitness to train my son and some of his teammates and i could not agree with you any more than i do. The speed, agility and quickness in addition to the physicality of both sports screams synergy.

As someone who played a little hockey growing up, i see hockey when i watch lacrosse. Similar ball/puck movement, defensive sliding etc

My hockey playing lax buddies all seemed to have similar strengths. One, they had great hands. Two, they all were really crafty around the crease in getting shots off. Three, they could handle really hard checks around the crease allowing them to do so. When I watch hockey, I see all of that very often. It isn't hard to see how that translates.

Throw in the obvious cardio and conditioning, and there are clear cross-overs.

In basketball, it's more conceptual. Offensive and defensive philosophies are very similar, even though there are a different of players on the court. If you play basketball, picking those up in lacrosse is much, much easier.

Foootball, it's obviously all about the contact.

IMO, Brecht is building the roster exactly as I always felt Rutgers should be focused geographically speaking. 60% of the roster comes from the nearby traditional hotbed areas of LI, upstate NY, MD and NJ, with 2/3rds of that total coming from Jersey. Throw in a few Canadians and for the rest of the roster cherry pick from wherever you can find talent.

IMO, Brecht is building the roster exactly as I always felt Rutgers should be focused geographically speaking. 60% of the roster comes from the nearby traditional hotbed areas of LI, upstate NY, MD and NJ, with 2/3rds of that total coming from Jersey. Throw in a few Canadians and for the rest of the roster cherry pick from wherever you can find talent.

It's definitely how he sees the roster too. Even if he could get every kid from NJ he wanted, I doubt he would have a roster full of kids from there.

The kids from non traditional areas are intriguing. Based on the success we have had with them (Groel, Rose, Bullett, Michaeli, to name a few) you can see why he will never stop mining those areas. Going to be more challenging though with Utah going D1.

Reactions: rbled
Heard great things about him. Is he is flip risk?
Heard great things about him. Is he is flip risk?

No. I was worried for a minute with UDel pulling out all the stops but he is all Rutgers. He is a big time shooter, plays downhill, sees the field well, and is a huge kid. I am excited to see what a college strength and conditioning program can do for him.

Our football team plays in Mid State 38. For lacrosse it is called the Skyland Conference.
Well the Mid State 38 was really good in football with Westfield, Bridgewater, Voorhees, Phillipsburg and North Hunterdon all in their sectional finals. I know that North and Voorhees have a big football rivalry. Is the Skyland conference as good in Lacrosse as the MS 38 is in football

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT