ADVERTISEMENT

OR - Total Hip Replacement

Roy_Faulker

All Conference
Feb 7, 2002
anyone here have their hip(s) done? I'm scheduled for bilateral this fall and am curious what your experience was?

Did you pursue for pain relief or lifestyle?

How old were you?

Have you had a revision?

Painful recovery? Was it worth it for you? What did you get out of it?

What was the one or two things you wish you had known prior to undergoing the surgery?

anyone here have their hip(s) done? I'm scheduled for bilateral this fall and am curious what your experience was?

How old were you?

Have you had a revision?

What was the one or two things you wish you had known prior to undergoing the surgery?

Would be interested in knowing your reasons for hip surgery ? Among our group it is the constant pain that the hip creates that affects the rest of the body. People can't sleep or find a comfortable standing, walking or running position for long. Aleve doesn't help and injections don't help much either.

I have a friend who hurt his knee and favored it by putting less weight on it by changing his stride. He did this for a year in order to give it a chance to heal and avoid potential knee surgery. When he finally went to the Orthopedic the doctor told him that by favoring the knee he had worn out a hip and needed the hip replacement first, prior to the knee surgery.

A revolting development for sure, but more common today than one may think.

I have a brother-in-law who had hip replacement in his mid forties. As a kid, he played multiple sports - soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and was always the one organizing pickup games, and he played lacrosse and soccer in college (division 3), continued to play in adult basketbsll leagues and pickup games at lunchtime at work in his twenties and thirties. From all that wear and tear, the hips just wore our. He was in a lot of pain even with pain relievers and had difficulty with normal activities.

He had unexpected complications in the surgery (almost negligence) and it got very tenuous to the point my sister had thought she might lose him. The Dr he was expecting to do the surgery unexpectedly was away and another Dr in the practice stepped in. But he pulled through and came out okay. I think the recovery and physical therapy was a few weeks if not months.

He has been getting on well now for about fifteen years. He walks well, though sometimes a little stiffly, and he still does sports stuff but nowhere like before.

I understand these things can wear out and have limited lifespan. But I have not heard anything about him needing to to do this anytime soon.

Lesson : make sure you get an experienced DR and don't get roped into any last minute "switcheroo".

Last edited:
I am 44, and was told to 10 years ago I was on the clock for a new hip. I don't have any serious pain yet, but I do have osteoarthritis in the joint. The one thing I doctor told me is the wait as long as I possibly could before I had it done, Because they last about 20 years and he said you don't want to have to go through it twice.

On a very Macro - level key points would be -
Select a Surgeon that you trust, one who has a strong track record, - but preferably not one you know socially / personally (if anything happens that requires you to have to have blunt legal issues - you don't want friendship tangled up in the process - keep it business-like)
Discuss the implants that the surgeon plans to use - how long has that specific design been in use (in the world) and what are the published results .... there are always new designs that are expected to be perfect - but orthopaedic history is filled with "revolutionary" products that did not deliver the intended results. Ideally you want to hear about 10-15 year success rates (most designs can look fine at the 5 year point)
- if you have concluded that this surgeon is using a design that you feel has not yet established a long enough history of clinical success - find a second opinion surgeon .... Do not try to persuade the surgeon to use a design that is outside of their regular standard practice - an excellent surgeon & and excellent surgical support team work best using implants & instruments & a surgical technique with which they are familiar - don't have them try something new to them on you - - most excellent surgeons will not.
Tough subject - Infection - have a blunt discussion about the institution's infection rates - and industry standards - and what is best in class. Infection can be the most critical factor . You can find institution infection rates by general category of procedure for most all institutions online - -
In general - If it is possible to go to a place where they do very large numbers of these procedures and have very very low infection & re-operation rates - strongly consider it.
You indicated that you were planning bi-lateral hip replacement - by that, do you mean that this will be one "bi-lateral procedure"? - or is the plan to do one then 3-4-6 months later do the other? There are pros & cons for each - but sequential single procedures would generally be considered the more conservative approach.

Many many factors will add into the decision process - your age, activity level,your general health, the causative factor for the condition of your hips (if it is general significant osteoarthritis / AVN ?- is their an expectation that your knees will need to be done in the future?) - what institutions are available to you.
Good Luck - and never be afraid to ask questions.

Used to work for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons when I was in grad school. Orthopods love doing hips. Most often, the results are really good, and since the patients tend to be old, the hips will last them a lifetime.

Know two guys in their fifties who did it and they both came out in good shape. Relatively little pain and very happy about having it done. Personally I would still need to be pretty damn sure I needed it. Surgery is no joke.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in my early 40's. Athlete in HS and college (soccer and lax). Had hip displaysia (sp?) and am living with osteoarthritis (bone on bone now).

My mobility is severely limited and have good days and bad - but the longer I'm up he more it hurts. Can't walk for more than a few blocks before things get tight and painful.

Like late knight I don't live in chronic pain and don't pop pain pills - but lifestyle is severely impacted and have modified my activity levels to avoid those that hurt. I've got the penguin walk down pat :) for sure.

My dilemma the pain, while it can be severe at times, isn't constant...but I know the surgery is inevitable. So is it better to have surgery and live life now in my 40s with my kids or lose some of that time and experience to delay until I'm maybe 50 and things are much worse.

I know there is a lifespan on the implants - but also know that most people who get these surgeries done often lament they waited so long so it's a trade off.

Last edited:
My mom, who passed 5 years ago, had both hips replaced around 70. Best thing she ever did, as, being a touch cookie, she lived with the pain for years. It was definitely arthritis related, as 2 of her sisters also had the same issues and had hip replacements. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about the hardware used, but from what I recall it was pretty standard stuff.

What @RUMBA-JK (does the JK stand for Just Kidding?
icon_mrgreen_zps1e660791.gif
)
said about doing your research is extremely important. Ask those questions even if you feel uncomfortable doing it.

AND......do the research on your rehab facilities. The first couple weeks after surgery are absolutely vital to your long term recovery. Don't be afraid to go in and interview those at the facility - I did when I had my knee rebuilt 6 years ago.

Reactions: HeyHuey
My mobility is severely limited and have good days and bad - but the longer I'm up he more it hurts. Can't walk for more than a few blocks before things get tight and painful.

My dilemma the pain, while it can be severe at times, isn't constant...but I know the surgery is inevitable. So is it better to have surgery and live life now in my 40s with my kids or lose some of that time and experience to delay until I'm maybe 50 and things are much worse.
Missed this the first time through. Do it now. You will never have that opportunity with your kids again. I had my knee rebuilt in my mid-40's when my kids were little: other than the downtime I've been able to keep up with them ever since.

My buddy just did. He is in his mid to late 20s. Walked out the same day. 3 days later he said it felt awful. Moving around fine now.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm in my early 40's. Athlete in HS and college (soccer and lax). Had hip displaysia (sp?) and am living with osteoarthritis (bone on bone now).

Like late knight I don't live in chronic pain and don't pop pain pills - but lifestyle is severely impacted and have modified my activity levels to avoid those that hurt. I've got the penguin walk down pat :) for sure.

I know there is a lifespan on the implants - but also know that most people who get these surgeries done often lament they waited so long so it's a trade off.

In your early 40's and otherwise healthy & with the potential to be active - - would definitely encourage you to really research your options.
Ideally you find a surgeon with extensive experience with active patients in your age range - while not terribly unusual, this patient group is a bit outside of the 'average' and there may definitely be procedural & implant consideration that are most appropriate for patients like you. Basically you hope for 2 highly functional infection free / pain free hips that provide you with 15-20+ years of service before you have to discuss revisions (re-do) - and you want the best chance possible for a simply revision procedure.
You are about to embark upon a time/ aging/ technology game - - you are young and active now - have many more years to live & for right now & immediate years to come, you may give your implants a good work-out - this will be the most rigorous conditions for your implants & the surrounding bone - ideally all goes well & it lasts a long time & then when you get a revision - your activity level will be less taxing & life expectancy will be more modest - and ideally you will benefit from an additional 15-20 years of technological advancement.
Remember this is all on a 'macro" level - individual aspects of your situation may make for a different picture.

Where are you located?

Both Hips -Right 1997 at age 61
Left 2007 at age 71
Both knees 2008 at age 72

Waited for that first hip replacement longer than I should as I wanted to officiate basketball and soccer as long as I could. Replacements have been marvelous and if you're bone on bone and the orthpod says it's time, do it!!

Hips are less painful and complicated than knees and require fewer revisions. They say that if you're having both knees done. Do them at the same time. Don't know if it's the same with hips. Do the rehab work....especially early. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
My brother-in-law had both hips done at once about 10 years ago. (55 at time). He use to jog a lot and in his 30's and they took a pounding. He coached baseball and soccer to young kids and his 2 sons and wanted to continue sports before they got older.
Surgery went well and he rehabed, did lots of swimming at the a club which really helped. Earlier this year he had to have one replaced because it became defective. Doing Ok since, but doesn't do too much strenuous stuff. He's 65 and is enjoying life even with 2 boys in college.
He got his PHD from RU many years ago, Psychology.

Just had total left hip replacement on Tuesday...did it at JFK in Edison only because the surgeon is tops in this area... I considered HFSS in New York ... if you are over 70 and having a knee or hip... get it done there or Morristown Memorial... My doc is U of Penn undergrad... U of Penn Medical school ... University Hartford Residency... Yale Fellowship and advanced training in knees / hips / shoulders ... he has been actively practicing 23 years and works with you not against you... did my ft. knee at 6o ... got me back to an active life...2 years ago my life changed while playing golf with Pete Busch at Galloping Hill... stopped playing over the winter but learned it was not my back per se but a severely arthritic hip... he told me to hold off... sent me to rehab at JAG ( somewhat helpful) but a year of monitoring - yoga stretches-swimming it only got worse after this spring and after another x ray confirmed it was time... the hip had vascular necrosis... solid bone on bone... pelvic girdle completely out of alignment... could not sit or walk even for 20 minutes... had gone from a active and retired 67 year old to an 85 year old... I was out of bed day 1 ... walked Day 1 -2-3... home on post op day 3... very minimal pain... yes stiffness in thigh ... some swelling in thigh and knee... able to at least not have pain when using the walker outside... cane next week( Monday)... take time... do home rehab ... later outpatient rehab... honestly much better... even knees are only several days ... next year knees will be out Day 1 or 2 ... so they say... always research and talk to others with the issue...

Just had total left hip replacement on Tuesday...did it at JFK in Edison only because the surgeon is tops in this area... I considered HFSS in New York ... if you are over 70 and having a knee or hip... get it done there or Morristown Memorial... My doc is U of Penn undergrad... U of Penn Medical school ... University Hartford Residency... Yale Fellowship and advanced training in knees / hips / shoulders ... he has been actively practicing 23 years and works with you not against you... did my ft. knee at 6o ... got me back to an active life...2 years ago my life changed while playing golf with Pete Busch at Galloping Hill... stopped playing over the winter but learned it was not my back per se but a severely arthritic hip... he told me to hold off... sent me to rehab at JAG ( somewhat helpful) but a year of monitoring - yoga stretches-swimming it only got worse after this spring and after another x ray confirmed it was time... the hip had vascular necrosis... solid bone on bone... pelvic girdle completely out of alignment... could not sit or walk even for 20 minutes... had gone from a active and retired 67 year old to an 85 year old... I was out of bed day 1 ... walked Day 1 -2-3... home on post op day 3... very minimal pain... yes stiffness in thigh ... some swelling in thigh and knee... able to at least not have pain when using the walker outside... cane next week( Monday)... take time... do home rehab ... later outpatient rehab... honestly much better... even knees are only several days ... next year knees will be out Day 1 or 2 ... so they say... always research and talk to others with the issue...
Not easy I'm sure, but you sound pleased with the results and feeling good again. All the best.

Thanks... if I am to believe him and I progress as hoped by week 4-5 I should be driving( told wifey it's hers)...Make our annual end of October Hawaii trip...and be able to play golf and bike by the summer fall 2018...We will not be at the opening game unless I'm really feeling good...I even paid additional $$$ ( only for this year in a handicapped spot)... The ticket manager and Hobbs are doing a great job and we should really take notice .

Rumba I'm in central Ohio.

Central ? +/- you have options

Good surgeons in Columbus ... don't personally know any - but many good groups - for example : Joint Implant Surgeons - in New Albany founded by a big "Key Opinion Leader" in Joint replacement

Akron area has a "Cleveland Clinic" facility - lots of surgeons in area - one in particular worth checking out - Kenneth Greene, MD - really good & smart guy with solid ability to communicate

Cleveland & Cincinnati also have excellent world class Docs

But really the key is the combination of credentials, experience , and how comfortable you feel. And - a surgeon with fellowship training in Adult Total joint Replacement - would be a must .

Thanks all - glad to hear of your owns success stories. Know this won't be without its challenges.

Rumba - I'm linked with the surgeon you referenced in New Albany and will likely have it done through him. Haven't met anyone with a negative outcome.

At your age you may want to investigate a hip resurfacing. I had mine done at 51 and am back playing basketball and running. Very pleased. Hospital for Special Surgery

age 67

I am going through the process to get BOTH hips done..exams etc

I played football at Cornell, swam on the swim team and played ONE year of lacrosse as a practice player
I played lacrosse for team Florida until I was 54
To this day I cycle 5mi a day & swim a mile 3x a week + nautilus

My reason for replacement is both pain & the fact that I limp like a drunken sailor...I have ankylosing spondylitis(ALL my disks are going bad) so despite 3 back operations(not ALL successful)
pain has been a constant companion

I waited this long because I had a "you get what you get" attitude
but now just the hope of less pain is my motivation to get it done
and ive also lost 55lbs via Drs orders

My present doctor is in favor of doing both hips at once

age 67

I am going through the process to get BOTH hips done..exams etc

I played football at Cornell, swam on the swim team and played ONE year of lacrosse as a practice player
I played lacrosse for team Florida until I was 54
To this day I cycle 5mi a day & swim a mile 3x a week + nautilus

My reason for replacement is both pain & the fact that I limp like a drunken sailor...I have ankylosing spondylitis(ALL my disks are going bad) so despite 3 back operations(not ALL successful)
pain has been a constant companion

I waited this long because I had a "you get what you get" attitude
but now just the hope of less pain is my motivation to get it done
and ive also lost 55lbs via Drs orders

My present doctor is in favor of doing both hips at once

Sounds like your hip replacement needs are due to a high level of athletic activity over many years. Great move losing the weight. I've lost 30 lbs in the last year and the benefits are numerous, from improved blood chemistry and cholesterol to a greater ability to exercise and play ball. Heart disease and diabetes risks are greatly reduced by losing weight. Both of these are prevalent in my family.

Lots of guys our age are needing hip and knee replacements. In many cases it is due to years of inactivity among the patient. At least you pushed yourself physically and got what you could from your body.

I would take the orthopedic docs suggestion of doing both hips at once. Friends and associates of mine who have done both at once have been very successful, both for hips and knees. You may want to spend a week or two in a rehab center after surgery but that will accelerate your healing as you will work hard while there. Good luck and hope it is successful.

Reactions: mikefla

How old were you?

Have you had a revision?

Most important was who does the surgery. I decided to have a Hip resurfacing at the Hospital for Special Surgery by Ed Su, one of the best And most experienced Hip surgeons in the world. I was 60, yes it was worth t.

Lots of great stories here. I have a takeaway from some not so great outcomes that would lead me to write LEFT and RIGHT on each of my legs before going into pre-op. $#!t can and apparently does happen. One thing I noticed in this thread is that no one played football. There are lots of Bo Jackson/Mark Bavaro/Joe Namath stories out there.

Hips are less painful and complicated than knees and require fewer revisions. They say that if you're having both knees done. Do them at the same time. Don't know if it's the same with hips. Do the rehab work....especially early. I wish you good luck.

never do both at the same time. Tougher recovery and risk of deadly complications like PE is higher. About 1% of our knee patients get both at the same time because they demand it and surgeon is willing to take the risk. I've never heard of anybody even trying both hips at the same time. Sounds like a terrible idea.

My brother had both of his done at the Hospital for Special Surgery, four weeks apart. Turned out great but ended his basketball career. I don't think you do both at the exact same time.
Friend was hit and run in West New York. Got a hip replacement right away at Hackensack Medical Center. Got an infection leading to pneumonia, and was very dire for a while. Heavy use of pain meds that he went cold turkey off on his own was another problem. One minute perfectly healthy on night out on the town, the next six months battling his way back.

never do both at the same time. Tougher recovery and risk of deadly complications like PE is higher. About 1% of our knee patients get both at the same time because they demand it and surgeon is willing to take the risk. I've never heard of anybody even trying both hips at the same time. Sounds like a terrible idea.

I'd never say never...and would always say that the specifics of the individual case, the needs of the patient & the judgment & skill / experience of the surgeon & the surgical team must factor into all of this. However - you are certainly framing this pretty accurately. Bilateral Total Hip procedures are really quite rare - far more rare than knees (which are also relatively rare) - and there are lots of reasons for this.
In general for both, a bi-lateral procedure ratchets up the degree of complexity in multiple ways - procedure & anesthesia time is increased substantially, more surgical staff may be needed (depends on lead surgeon's strategy), more instruments, more potential for procedure to be impacted by an some 'surprise' or unanticipated event.
One chief reason that there are more bi-lateral knee procedures than hips - relates to the mechanics of the procedure - for knees - the patient is basically flat on their back & legs are bent at knee & is held in place permitting the full exposure of the knee and wide open access for surgery - and in the case of a bi-lateral procedure - both knees - without significantly re-positioning the patient. Now hips- well - human anatomy does not make bi-lateral easy - but there are some surgeons who have really worked on refining their surgical strategy to make it an option that they feel they can recommend.

Sounds like your hip replacement needs are due to a high level of athletic activity over many years. Great move losing the weight. I've lost 30 lbs in the last year and the benefits are numerous, from improved blood chemistry and cholesterol to a greater ability to exercise and play ball. Heart disease and diabetes risks are greatly reduced by losing weight. Both of these are prevalent in my family.

Lots of guys our age are needing hip and knee replacements. In many cases it is due to years of inactivity among the patient. At least you pushed yourself physically and got what you could from your body.

I would take the orthopedic docs suggestion of doing both hips at once. Friends and associates of mine who have done both at once have been very successful, both for hips and knees. You may want to spend a week or two in a rehab center after surgery but that will accelerate your healing as you will work hard while there. Good luck and hope it is successful.
Thank you sir!

YES,,,they have been doing double hip replacements since 2009. Especially in Europe.

..I went from 9.1 O1C down to 6.1...type 2 diabetes = GONE !
my heart has always been good,,,,ZERO blockage,,,my MD kept me overnight,,thought he muffed the tests
I hope to lose even more weight

From an emotional point I felt 1 and done was for me the right has some arthritis but it is the Rt. Knee which needs a total repo... realize anesthesia is alway a concern but under 3 hours is something I don't like... this took exactly the time he said ... into OR at 7:29 am .... knocked out at 7:50am... in recovery at 9:45 am... like I said when over 70 that is more the issue... have been doing home rehab 3 x per day...therapist 3-4 times per week starting tomorrow...no real pain but sleeping on myback totally sucks...sitting for too long still not advised... pooping and peeing like a racehorse... good luck
Lots of great stories here. I have a takeaway from some not so great outcomes that would lead me to write LEFT and RIGHT on each of my legs before going into pre-op. $#!t can and apparently does happen. One thing I noticed in this thread is that no one played football. There are lots of Bo Jackson/Mark Bavaro/Joe Namath stories out there.[/QUOTE
Played high school baseba

Reactions: mikefla
I'd never say never...and would always say that the specifics of the individual case, the needs of the patient & the judgment & skill / experience of the surgeon & the surgical team must factor into all of this. However - you are certainly framing this pretty accurately. Bilateral Total Hip procedures are really quite rare - far more rare than knees (which are also relatively rare) - and there are lots of reasons for this.
In general for both, a bi-lateral procedure ratchets up the degree of complexity in multiple ways - procedure & anesthesia time is increased substantially, more surgical staff may be needed (depends on lead surgeon's strategy), more instruments, more potential for procedure to be impacted by an some 'surprise' or unanticipated event.
One chief reason that there are more bi-lateral knee procedures than hips - relates to the mechanics of the procedure - for knees - the patient is basically flat on their back & legs are bent at knee & is held in place permitting the full exposure of the knee and wide open access for surgery - and in the case of a bi-lateral procedure - both knees - without significantly re-positioning the patient. Now hips- well - human anatomy does not make bi-lateral easy - but there are some surgeons who have really worked on refining their surgical strategy to make it an option that they feel they can recommend.

What is the DVT/PE rate with a bilateral total hip arthroplasty? What would be used for prophylaxis?

It is my medical opinion that it is nuts to do bilateral total hips. What's the harm in staggering by a few weeks or months? What is the benefit to doing both at the same time? Because there are clearly increased risks.

Thank you sir!

YES,,,they have been doing double hip replacements since 2009. Especially in Europe.

..I went from 9.1 O1C down to 6.1...type 2 diabetes = GONE !
my heart has always been good,,,,ZERO blockage,,,my MD kept me overnight,,thought he muffed the tests
I hope to lose even more weight

A1C test of 9.1 ? Yikes that is really high and points to type 2 diabetes in the very near future. 6.1 is much better and if you lose more weight you can get to mid to high 5's. Mine went from 6.4 down to 5.7 after losing weight. Keep doing it, great job !

Asked my PT just 5 minutes ago about bi-lateral hip replacement done simultaneously... first words out of her mouth..." not a good idea"... only because of the excessive time under anesthesia ... in a few years she said most knees and hips will use a spinal block along with "a roofie" type of drug so you don't remember...less PE... less Risk...5-10 years Star Trek and Bones... lol

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT