ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball O'Reilly signs with Pirates

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (June 27, 2018)John O’Reilly, who recently completed his senior season with Rutgers baseball, signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday. The right-handed pitcher has reported the team headquarters in Florida to await assignment and becomes the third Scarlet Knight from the 2018 roster to move up to the professional ranks, joining Jawuan Harris (San Diego Padres) and Nick Matera (Philadelphia Phillies). RU has sent at least one player to an MLB organization in each of the last seven years.

“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to extend my career and play professional baseball,” O’Reilly said. “My family and I could not be more excited.”

“I am elated that John is getting the chance to show what he can do at the next level,” head coach Joe Litterio said. “He’s been a bulldog for us for the past four seasons. I wish him the best of luck and we will be following him.”

O’Reilly finished his collegiate career ranked second in program history with 49 starts, fourth with 300.2 innings and seventh with 174 strikeouts. He started each of the 14 weekend series this past season as the staff ace, working at least six innings nine times with one complete game allowing no earned runs to beat Penn State in the Big Ten opener. The right-hander tied for first among conference pitchers with 54.1 innings in league play and ranked fourth overall after the regular season with 86.1 innings on the mound. O’Reilly struck out 43 and induced 11 double plays throughout the campaign.

A labor studies and criminal justice double major, O’Reilly graduated and was a three-time Academic All-Big Ten selection in the classroom. He is from Northvale, New Jersey and attended Northern Valley Regional High School at Old Tappan.

The last Scarlet Knight to be signed by the Pirates was Kevin Kerekes in 1988.

Reactions: rubaseball78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News