ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 14th Annual "Pinfield Era" Melody Bar Reunion (2/29/20) at the Elks in NB

Kind of on topic, Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks and the song Homosapien died.

Yeah, saw that posted to the Melody page earlier. For anyone who liked great pop dressed up in UK punk, the Buzzcocks were amazing. Missed seeing them back in the day, but caught them a few year ago in NYC and they could still rock and roll. RIP.

Officially bumping the thread. Updated the thread title and the first post has brief details for the event, while additional details from the FB event page are below. Anyway, it's 2/23, 7 pm-12:30 am at the Elks in NB and it draws over 300 people every year. It's a private event with an age restriction: you had to have been 18 or over in 1992 (or 45 or over now), which was the end of the Pinfield Era, as he went on to fame and fortune at MTV and elsewhere. With the news of Matt being hit by a car in LA on Monday, it's not clear if he'll be there this year (he had planned on being there, as he's been on the wagon for awhile), but the rest of the crew of former Melody DJs will be.

While anyone 45 or over could theoretically go, the point of the event is for people who used to go to the Melody Bar to go and connect with old friends, do a little dancing, and relive a bit of the magic from back in the day. I know some think it's "pathetic" or whatever, but at our age, it's just great to have a fun night out - definitely the favorite night of the year for my wife and I and our group of friends who go pretty much every year. Hope to see a few of you there.

Edit: Paging you @LeapinLou, as requested...

From the FB Event Page...

It’s that time, people! From that first party at The Loop Lounge in 2007 to our now-annual celebration just blocks from our original home-away-from-home at 106 French Street, our 13th Annual Pinfield-Era Melody Bar REUNION is SET for Saturday, February 23, 2019 at the Elks Lodge in New Brunswick! Make your plans now! As always, we will be reliving the great music and great times we experienced at the greatest little club in the world! We'll be partying from 7 pm to 12:30 am with all the best people and music!

We will once again honor the memory of one of our own—our beloved doorman in the NASA suit, Big John Ryan—by donating proceeds from the $15 cover to a charity that was very personal for John: Camp Nejeda. Camp Nejeda is a camp for children with juvenile diabetes where John, who himself was living with type 1 diabetes, spent countless hours of his own time volunteering. The rest of the $ goes to cover travel and Reflux expenses for the one, the only, Ed Wong and his outtasite DJ setup. There will also be a 50/50, so maybe you’ll recoup your money!

As always, you are urged to GET THE WORD OUT! Post to your timeline, blog, tweet, Insta, Snap, etc. Send through snail mail, call and email all your contacts, and let them know they must attend. Think of some old timers who haven't yet been back and try to track them down. They don’t know what they’re missing!

Need a hotel room? You have two choices:
1. You can get in on the CYBER FRIDAY DEAL at the Heldrich -- UPDATE: no, you can't. Those rooms are now gone!

2. You can book through the room block we’ll post later.

This is our 13th annual “old-timers” party, so anyone who could get into the Mel back in 1992 is welcome at the door. We are calling it like this: you should be 45 or older for the 2019 edition. All are welcome to bring family members (spouse, partner, and/or your equally cool kids). Bottom line: if you were a Melody regular anytime up to 1992, you're in. For "the others," our trusted door personnel will use good judgment as to who among them gets in and when (or if you know the secret password—yep, there is a secret password). As always, if you were a regular and for some reason have a problem, just stay cool and we'll get you in. We all know who we are!

The organizers, DJs and hosts look forward to seeing all of you on the dance floor and bringing the spirit of the Pinfield-Era Melody Bar back to life for OUR 13TH ANNUAL magical night in February!

Love,
Team Stiffy

40 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-2521
(732) 249-3420

Bump - Melody O'clock is almost here. And @LeapinLou will be in the house!

Reactions: bossnj1
Numbers in that case, what way would you root?
I think some of your haters on the weather threads may actually root for massive snow in that instance.

Numbers in that case, what way would you root?
I think some of your haters on the weather threads may actually root for massive snow in that instance.

About 4 years ago we had 4-5" of snow during the afternoon and evening of the Reunion (which changed to sleet/freezing rain/rain by midnight), which I loved, but it kept attendance well down - but because of that, they decided to do a "makeup" event in April, so I got to go to two reunions that year, so tough call, lol. Honestly, though, with friends often coming in from far away for us and others, it's the one time I probably would root for sunny and 50F in the winter.

Reactions: Plum Street
Have fun tonight! We have a group of about 20 meeting at Stuff Yer Face this afternoon, in the bar area. If anyone is in from out of town, come on by.
You know what I’m going to ask...

I need a bathroom update. Please tell me they finally did something there.

Excuse me. I never mentioned anything about perfection. I posted facts. Don't really care about the event, but an age discriminatory event getting promoted here is not good. And yes lots of talented people have been drug addicts. I don't disagree.
Ban Plum Street.. he's not welcome here. Discriminate against him.

Have fun tonight! We have a group of about 20 meeting at Stuff Yer Face this afternoon, in the bar area. If anyone is in from out of town, come on by.
Have fun - tell Spanky I said hi. Melody day is Ed Wong on WRSU from 10-2 (best show on radio, IMO - most of the time it's only 20% Melody style music, but today is all Melody era music), then helping him load in and set up from about 4-7, then the Reunion, then helping break down and load out, then usually the diner, then 3-4 hours sleep, then 2 hours of soccer at 8 am on Sunday. I'll be near death this time tomorrow, lol.

Reactions: Abro1975
Not part of the Melody gang but I'll be in NB tonight for the John Mellancamp concert at the State Theater

You know what I’m going to ask...

I need a bathroom update. Please tell me they finally did something there.

Just got back. Our group of 15-20 RU football fans at the bar, wound up mixing in with about 15 ex RU Lacrosse players meeting up and 'lubricating' before the big game. Nice mix of a crowd. Downstairs men's room had 2 Urinals and no toilets, so not sure what one does if a 'deuce' needs to be 'dropped'. The tiny restroom itself looked to be recently retiled, with regular size Urinal, and kids level urinal, w a newish sink. But again, no toilet whatsoever, so if that 'issue' need to be addressed, I'm not sure if one just turns around and uses a urinal, or go out and look for 'plan B'.

After exiting the men's room, I commented to the cute, young hostess, that the men's room had 2 urinals, but no toilet, so what does one 'do' if that need comes up, she burst out laughing and said 'wow, I have no idea, I've never been inside the men's room'. I laughed with her, and ordered another beer.

The Kane IPA for $6.50/pint was very good. Free stick pretzels on the bar.

More new construction 1 block west on Easton Ave.

Downstairs men's room had 2 Urinals and no toilets, so not sure what one does if a 'deuce' needs to be 'dropped'. The tiny restroom itself looked to be recently retiled, with regular size Urinal, and kids level urinal, w a newish sink. But again, no toilet whatsoever...
By “downstairs” do you mean the one on the main floor and close to the front?

That was the one in question.

I had no idea he was at the State Theater, would have loved to have seen him. Back in 1987ish saw him at MSG and it was one of the best shows I have ever seen

Tickets went on sale a while back. @Phi_1055 alerted me to a pre-sale opportunity. Great to see a show like that in NB. I believe he is playing the Beacon Theater tonight. John sounded great and the audience was defitely pumped. Great show.
I saw him at Brenden Byrne probably the same tour in '87. Agree about how good that was.

Good.

Was one of the worst public bathrooms I was ever in...and it was like that for way too long.
I've literally been there at least 500 times and have never even give the bathroom a second thought, let alone a first one. The 4 summers I Iived in NB, I must have eaten there at least 3 times a week. Still go there regularly - just love their bolis.

Bump - Melody O'clock is almost here. And @LeapinLou will be in the house!
Another one in the books. Headcount was 310 and raised over $5000 for charity. So friggin' sore from lugging heavy equipment in and then out at the end, dancing for hours, and 2 hours of soccer this morning. But it's a good sore, lol. Was great hanging out for awhile with @LeapinLou and his wife - I'm sure there were some other board folks there, but not anyone I recognized.

Musically, lots of deeper cuts the first two hours, although there were several floor fillers, like and "Strangelove" (Depeche Mode), "Anarchy in the UK" (Sex Pistols), and "Shoot You Down" by APB. Lots more big Melody hits after that, though. My favorite set was "In Between Days" (the Cure), "Seven Seas" (Echo), "Temptation" (New Order), "Orgasm Addict" (Buzzcocks), and "Save It for Later" (English Beat) - that set nearly killed me. No Matt Pinfield this year, but that was expected, given the horrible accident he was recently in (being struck by a car while walking) and is still recovering from after several surgeries.

Another one in the books. Headcount was 310 and raised over $5000 for charity. So friggin' sore from lugging heavy equipment in and then out at the end, dancing for hours, and 2 hours of soccer this morning. But it's a good sore, lol. Was great hanging out for awhile with @LeapinLou and his wife - I'm sure there were some other board folks there, but not anyone I recognized.

Musically, lots of deeper cuts the first two hours, although there were several floor fillers, like and "Strangelove" (Depeche Mode), "Anarchy in the UK" (Sex Pistols), and "Shoot You Down" by APB. Lots more big Melody hits after that, though. My favorite set was "In Between Days" (the Cure), "Seven Seas" (Echo), "Temptation" (New Order), "Orgasm Addict" (Buzzcocks), and "Save It for Later" (English Beat) - that set nearly killed me. No Matt Pinfield this year, but that was expected, given the horrible accident he was recently in (being struck by a car while walking) and is still recovering from after several surgeries.

How about The Cure's "Disintegration" ?

Reactions: bossnj1
Acoustic BS. No thanks

Not sure what you mean. Are you complaining about the acoustics at the State (sound was excellent from my seat in row Q) or that the show was acoustic Melllancamp (he had his band though he did an acoustic song or 2 - band was drims, bass, 2 guitars plus JM, keyboards and violin).

And since I veered this thread off topic, I should add - excellent job by numbers and his Melody crew - $5,000 for charity makes it a very worthwhile effort. Sorry to hear about Pinfield's accident.

Reactions: RU848789 and BlockR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT