ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 14th Annual "Pinfield Era" Melody Bar Reunion (2/29/20) at the Elks in NB

Debaser is probably my favorite song of theirs (that or Monkey Gone to Heaven); I like the J&MC version of Automatic better, though - and it got played last night.
Don't disagree with either point. Love the NJ reference in Monkey Gone to Heaven, even though unflattering. Saw the J&MC in Asbury last year (or was it the year before, and they put on a good show.

Not sure what you mean. Are you complaining about the acoustics at the State (sound was excellent from my seat in row Q) or that the show was acoustic Melllancamp (he had his band though he did an acoustic song or 2 - band was drims, bass, 2 guitars plus JM, keyboards and violin).

My bad then. Thought I saw this was an “unplugged” show. Pat Benatar played there a while back and it was unplugged. Not my thing.

12/12/19: Officially bumping the thread. Updated the thread title and the first post has brief details for the event, while additional details from the FB event page are below. Anyway, it's 2/29/20, 7 pm-12:30 am at the Elks in NB and it draws over 300 people every year. It's a private event with an age restriction: you had to have been 18 or over in 1992 (or 46 or over now), which was the end of the Pinfield Era, as he went on to fame and fortune at MTV and elsewhere.

As Matt is nearly fully recovered from being hit by a car while walking in LA (wonder if that will get played, lol), he says he's definitely coming this year, but even if he doesn't make it (he makes about half of them), the rest of the crew of former Melody DJs will be there (Pat Pierson, Sean Carolan, Lisa Uber, Ed Wong, Pete Santiago, and Eric Gladstone, who will be making his first Reunion appearance) and they're awesome.

While anyone 46 or over could theoretically go, the point of the event is for people who used to go to the Melody Bar to go and connect with old friends, do a little dancing, and relive a bit of the magic from back in the day. I know some think it's "pathetic" or whatever, but at our age, it's just great to have a fun night out - definitely the favorite night of the year for my wife and I and our group of friends who go every year - at our age it beats the alternative, lol. Hope to see a few of you there.

Paging you @LeapinLou, as requested...

From the FB Event Page below in case the link below doesn't work:

14th Annual Melody Bar Reunion!! February 29th, 2020 at the Elks Lodge in New Brunswick!!

It’s that time, people! From that first party at The Loop Lounge in 2007 to our now-annual celebration just blocks from our original home-away-from-home at 106 French Street, our 14th Annual Pinfield-Era Melody Bar REUNION is SET for Saturday, February 29, 2020 at the Elks Lodge in New Brunswick--featuring the one and only MATT PINFIELD, flying in from California to show off his new fit and sexy body!! (See actual picture of Matt above…) Plus: a special Melody Bar DJ playing his first time at the reunion, Eric Gladstone! He’s flying in from his residency in Las Vegas to spin us back to 1987!

Door admission is $15, with all proceeds going to Camp Nejeda to help children with diabetes, in honor of our door guardian, and all around great guy, the late great John Ryan, whose spirit is with us always! Our event kicks off at 7 pm and we rock until at least 12:30 am. Come join us celebrate the spirit of the greatest little club that changed all our lives. There will also be a 50/50, so maybe you’ll recoup your money!

Make your plans now! As always, we will be reliving the great music and great times we experienced at the greatest little club in the world! As always, you are urged to GET THE WORD OUT! Post to your timeline, blog, tweet, Insta, Snap, etc. Send through snail mail, call and email all your contacts, and let them know they must attend. Think of some old timers who haven't yet been back and try to track them down. They don’t know what they’re missing!

This is our 14th annual “old-timers” party, so anyone who could get into the Mel back in 1992 is welcome at the door. We are calling it like this: you should be 46 or older for the 2020 edition. All are welcome to bring family members (spouse, partner, and/or your equally cool kids). Bottom line: if you were a Melody regular anytime up to 1992, you're in. For "the others," our trusted door personnel will use good judgment as to who among them gets in and when (or if you know the secret password—yep, there is a secret password). As always, if you were a regular and for some reason have a problem, just stay cool and we'll get you in. We all know who we are!

The organizers, DJs and hosts look forward to seeing all of you on the dance floor and bringing the spirit of the Pinfield-Era Melody Bar back to life for OUR 14TH ANNUAL magical night in February!

Don’t forget to get a room at the Heldrich across the street, so you can stay all night and safely crash in a warm bed with dozens of your Melody friends! Need a hotel room? You have two choices:

1. You can get in on the CYBER FRIDAY DEAL at the Heldrich. Click this link for details! https://www.theheldrich.com/newbrunswick_hotel_deals/super-cyber-weekend-sale

2. You can book through the room block we’ll post later.

3. Another deal through SnapTravel... Click the link to see your discounted rate for the The Heldrich Hotel
https://mysnaptravel.com/d1Y969

I’ll see you all in February on the dance floor!

The Chairman
(and Team Stiffy)

40 Livingston Avenue
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-2521
(732) 249-3420

My favorite part is you meeting 75% of the10 girls you dated there. Was one a .5 or 1.5?

I never went there in spite of being a bartender at the Main Event from something like 78 to 82 and one of our tenders ( Kathy) also tended at the melody.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU848789
My favorite part is you meeting 75% of the10 girls you dated there. Was one a .5 or 1.5?

I never went there in spite if being a bartender at the Main Event from something like 78 to 82 and one of our tenders ( Kathy) also tended at the melody.
lol, forgot I said that - pretty sure I didn't "date" that low, though...

Bumping, since there are other threads now on this. Also, as an fyi, if anyone is going to see Matt Pinfield, unfortunately, he suffered a detached retina and had surgery on it a couple of days ago and can't fly for a couple of months, so he can't make it. He seems to be recovering well from that and his horrible accident last year (got hit by a car while walking in LA - which is why I requested that song this year, lol) and has remained on the wagon for close to 2 years. He's seriously channeled his energy into social media lately - posts some very cool pix from shows, the Grammy's, parties, etc (usually with various rock stars).

Reactions: bossnj1
Bumping, since there are other threads now on this. Also, as an fyi, if anyone is going to see Matt Pinfield, unfortunately, he suffered a detached retina and had surgery on it a couple of days ago and can't fly for a couple of months, so he can't make it. He seems to be recovering well from that and his horrible accident last year (got hit by a car while walking in LA - which is why I requested that song this year, lol) and has remained on the wagon for close to 2 years. He's seriously channeled his energy into social media lately - posts some very cool pix from shows, the Grammy's, parties, etc (usually with various rock stars).
Just saw the detached retina posts. Lucky for him he caught it. His Facebook posts are fun to read. He looks fantastic.

Some great Melody-related posts lately:
classic pictures from the Melody and here is Wayne Hussey from Mission UK and Sisters Of Mercy licking my head.. those crazy nights...
83927587_10157904702432866_5473244114268979200_n.jpg

This picture of the Melody taken in April of 1983 features a very young balding DJ holding a vinyl album from a band who just released their debut called the Violent Femmes. He would go on to play Blister In The Sun, Kiss Off, Add It Up, Prove My Love and Gone Daddy Gone- all those tracks that night.
83914455_10157894851712866_93169475716644864_n.jpg

giphy.gif

As usual, you contribute nothing but negativity. There are obviously quite a few fans of the Melody and of Matt Pinfield. Why any empathetic human would choose to post that gif in response to the update on Matt, who has been doing well lately, is beyond me. We get it- you think you are cute busting @RU848789 's balls. Wrong place, wrong time--just like most of your dumbass posts in the Mets thread.

As usual, you contribute nothing but negativity. There are obviously quite a few fans of the Melody and of Matt Pinfield. Why any empathetic human would choose to post that gif in response to the update on Matt, who has been doing well lately, is beyond me. We get it- you think you are cute busting @RU848789 's balls. Wrong place, wrong time--just like most of your dumbass posts in the Mets thread.
The GIF was about #'s need to bump his old thread when there was already a new one on the topic (as per the first line in his post).

While he knows I’m not a fan of the one long winter thread idea, I don’t mind another one on this because...
I always love reading your post on this thing, @RU848789.

One can feel the excitement when you talk about the event.
A happy ###’s is a happy me.

Reactions: RU848789
While he knows I’m not a fan of the one long winter thread idea, I don’t mind another one on this because...

Well this just got awkward real fast :Wink:
giphy.gif

Had the pleasure of meeting #'s before the Meechigan game via our mutual friend Craig.
He's an ok guy and I have no problem reading about the Melody reunions.

Had the pleasure of meeting #'s before the Meechigan game via our mutual friend Craig.
He's an ok guy and I have no problem reading about the Melody reunions.
Thanks! Was fun meeting (re-meeting?) you with all the other Lambda guys at Pennsy before the UM game. Would've been even better if we had won!

Reactions: BigLou
Well since you asked hard rock, classic rock, what they used to call heavy metal ( maiden, priest, BS, Ozzie, DP, etc), southern rock, country. Don’t have much use for rap or whatever they call the Melody genre (punk?) but to each his own.
Lol, now that’s just shocking.

Well, last night's reunion was a rousing success with 450 people showing up throughout the night, shattering the record of about 350 from a few years ago, when Matt was promoting the event on WXRK in NYC. $6000 was raised for Camp Nejeda a charity for children with diabetes favored by Big John the bouncer from the old days, who died a few years back in a tragic motorcycle accident. No idea why so many this year, especially since people knew Matt couldn't make it, due to his eye surgery. Maybe the coronavirus scared all the oldsters into going one last time, lol. Didn't notice anyone obvious from the board, but it was so crowded that would've been tough, especially since we spent probably 75% of the night dancing - very sore today, but in a good way.

Anyway, the dance floor was full by 7:30 pm (usually not until at least 8 pm) and was still full at about 12:40 am when the party ended - it was even too full at times (and it's about 4X as big as the old first floor dance floor at the Mel), so our crew of about 12 ended up dancing some in the bar room around our high top table, lol. If interested, there's a ton of pix and a video of my wife and I dancing to "Go" by Tones on Tail, near the top of the page at the "2020 Melody Reunion - 14th Annual!" FB page (links don't seem to work from that FB page for some reason).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT