ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2023 Tour De France

superfan01

All American
May 29, 2003
For all of us cycling fans, Saturday starts the greatest race in the world.
So many story lines already this year.

Favorites are Tadej Pogacar who won in 2020 and 2021 and was dominating the start of this year before crashing and fracturing his wrist in April. He will be wearing a brace to start. Just this week his UAE team announced both he and Adam Yates will be co-leaders for the GC. Not sure if this is a chess move or not by them.

Other favorite is Jonas Vingegaard who won last years Tour for Team Jumbo -Visma and was dragged through some of the stages by teammate Wout Van Aert

Highly recommend then Netflix docuseries on last years tour. Really shows the strategy that goes into this race and professional cycling in general

I don’t know how much I’ll watch but I enjoyed many an early morning leisurely watching great strategy in a mountain stage develop during the Lance/Postal Service years of domination.
I’ve watched a little the last couple years. It’s a great sporting event and I’ll tentatively plan for a few of the serious mountain stages.

I'll watch it all. I'm surprised Pogacar recovered enough to race as I'm pretty sure he was expected to miss the season. Too bad Remco and Roglic are not in it. And it would be nice to see Cavendish win a stage or more.

Was looking forward to watching it but looks like its only on peacock which is a terrible viewing experience. And seems like I'd have to pay for premium to get it, used to be in my package but xfinity is now trying to get me to pay extra.

Was looking forward to watching it but looks like its only on peacock which is a terrible viewing experience. And seems like I'd have to pay for premium to get it, used to be in my package but xfinity is now trying to get me to pay extra.
Some of it is in NBC and USA Network.

Schedule below

Reactions: rcube1994
For all of us cycling fans, Saturday starts the greatest race in the world.
So many story lines already this year.

Favorites are Tadej Pogacar who won in 2020 and 2021 and was dominating the start of this year before crashing and fracturing his wrist in April. He will be wearing a brace to start. Just this week his UAE team announced both he and Adam Yates will be co-leaders for the GC. Not sure if this is a chess move or not by them.

Other favorite is Jonas Vingegaard who won last years Tour for Team Jumbo -Visma and was dragged through some of the stages by teammate Wout Van Aert

Highly recommend then Netflix docuseries on last years tour. Really shows the strategy that goes into this race and professional cycling in general
The annual 'Who Can Dope The Best' race!

Last edited:
Wow. What a finish on stage 1.
Twin brothers Adam and Simon Yates who bike for rival teams broke away together and went 1 and 2 and Pogacar got 3rd. Great finish.

1st and 3rd place finishes for Team UAE.

Vingegaard finished in 9th at 22 sec back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 29PAS
Wow. What a finish on stage 1.
Twin brothers Adam and Simon Yates who bike for rival teams broke away together and went 1 and 2 and Pogacar got 3rd. Great finish.

1st and 3rd place finishes for Team UAE.

Vingegaard finished in 9th at 22 sec back.
What are the odds that brothers finish 1/2 in a stage? Amazing. I feel bad for Mas and Carapaz. And an American in the polka dot jersey. Wow.

Reactions: NBHPRU
TdF posts highlight vidoes.
Some fans post whole stages if you search
NBC posts longer vids with Phil and Bob

I've never seen so many flags of the country/region the Tour goes through as the number of Basque flags these three days. Tons of them along the road. And the scenery is amazing.

Sacramento's own Neilson Powless is having a great race although I haven't seen today's stage yet. I used to live there and it's pretty flat. He's either a natural climber or must have honed his skills in the Foothills and Sierras!

Nobody else watching? It’s been a very interesting race so far. And just when people were counting Pogacar out, he pulls off a stage like yesterday.

Reactions: runner3283
TdF early 1920s

tylswSu.jpg

Reactions: superfan01
That climb at the end of the last stage looked very imposing and I am sure TV did not really capture how challenging it was. 12-13% gradient at parts of the climb. Good thing today was a rest day. Two more weeks till Paris.

I’ve wobbled up climbs with a gradient a lot less than 12%. That one was brutal.

TdF early 1920s

tylswSu.jpg
I've just recently become familiar with the books about cycling and history by the British writer Tim Moore. He's written one about each of the three grand tours and rides the route of one of the year's races on a bike from that period. For instance, in "Gironimo......" he rides the route of the 1914 Giro (supposedly the toughest of all) on a bike from the 20's that has wooden rims. Every book has been hysterical and very educational. My cycling friends have loved them.

The cycling ones are great but imo, the funniest is "Travels with my Donkey" in which he walks the Camino de Santiago with a donkey.

Reactions: NBHPRU and ashokan
Set up for an epic final week of the Tour this year. Jonas held off Tadej in the last two mountain stages to maintain a very slim 10 second lead with I think 6 stages left. Rest day today and then time trials on Tuesday.

Set up for an epic final week of the Tour this year. Jonas held off Tadej in the last two mountain stages to maintain a very slim 10 second lead with I think 6 stages left. Rest day today and then time trials on Tuesday.
It might not be an epic week. These two have been even in the mountains. It may come to the difference in tomorrow's time trial.

I always though the final stage into Paris was more of a ceremonial ride. If they are still within a couple seconds going into the last stage will they be racing to the line? Or does it not matter since its a flat stage and they wont be able to gain time either way?

You're right about the ceremonial ride part and I think it will be this year even if they are only a couple of seconds apart. I get the feeling they both really respect each other and will except whoever is in the lead. I guess we'll see. Been a really interesting race this year.

And that selfie taking pinhead from yesterday should be strung up by his balls (assuming it was a guy) after what he did.

I always though the final stage into Paris was more of a ceremonial ride. If they are still within a couple seconds going into the last stage will they be racing to the line? Or does it not matter since its a flat stage and they wont be able to gain time either way?
It's a sprinters race. And everyone gets the same time.

In 1989 American Greg LeMond made up 50 seconds in the sprint to win TdF by 8 seconds. I don't know if rules were changed since then. Lemond was first rider to use aerodynamic handlebars that allowed rider to rest on elbows with arms points straight. He also wore the new Giro Aerohead. helmet back when riders didn't even need to wear them. The ending was one of the more intense TdF wins.

LeMond hated Armstrong and always accused him of cheating so I always assumed Lemond rode clean

In 1989 American Greg LeMond made up 50 seconds in the sprint to win TdF by 8 seconds. I don't know if rules were changed since then. Lemond was first rider to use aerodynamic handlebars that allowed rider to rest on elbows with arms points straight. He also wore the new Giro Aerohead. helmet back when riders didn't even need to wear them. The ending was one of the more intense TdF wins.

LeMond hated Armstrong and always accused him of cheating so I always assumed Lemond rode clean

If I recall correctly, he did it in a time trial in the second to last stage. He didn't do it in the last stage, the ride into Paris. Really an amazing race because Lemond missed the last several prior tours due to a a hunting accident where he lost some lung capacity.

If I recall correctly, he did it in a time trial in the second to last stage. He didn't do it in the last stage, the ride into Paris. Really an amazing race because Lemond missed the last several prior tours due to a a hunting accident where he lost some lung capacity.

1989 was an outlier in that race organizers wanted to shake things up so they made the last stage a sprint in Paris. After 1989 they went back to the ceremonial ride.

"Local hero Laurent Fignon entered the last stage with a 50-second advantage over American Greg LeMond. But the latter was a better time trialist and beat his rival by 58 seconds. He overtook him in the general classification by only 8 seconds, which is still the smallest gap in history.

The following year, the organizers dropped the final time trial and reintroduced the traditional ceremonial stage. This has remained until today."

1989 was an outlier in that race organizers wanted to shake things up so they made the last stage a sprint in Paris. After 1989 they went back to the ceremonial ride.

"Local hero Laurent Fignon entered the last stage with a 50-second advantage over American Greg LeMond. But the latter was a better time trialist and beat his rival by 58 seconds. He overtook him in the general classification by only 8 seconds, which is still the smallest gap in history.

The following year, the organizers dropped the final time trial and reintroduced the traditional ceremonial stage. This has remained until today."

They have also implemented in the last 10/15 years certain sprint stages that everyone that is within the last few kilometers gets the same time no matter how far apart they are. It avoids accidents nobody losses time if there is an accident and the leader(s) fall or get blocked.

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan

Two of my co-workers were on a business trip to Cezanne France and in Paris that day. They told me that they were unaware of what was going on and missed it all! I would have given my left nut to have been there.

Hugh fan of Greg Lemond but no one rode clean. That was the norm. I call it an even playing field.

He was Dick Cheney'd by his brother in law on a turkey hunt. Shot in his right lung. He came back but probably had to retire early because of it.

Jonas with a phenomenal ride. 1:38 win and even crazier over the 3rd place rider Wout. Just insane numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT