ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 6 hours in New Brunswick with kids

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Any tips to entertain my 3 kids, ages 15, 13, and 9?

During last summer’s visit, they liked the bookstore.

I bumped into some Rutgers friends who hadn’t visited campus in years. We agreed the neighborhood around the bookstore was unrecognizable compared to what is was like in the late 1990s when we were students.

Same thing for the neighborhood around George Strret and Livingston Ave.

None of these friends has interest in Rutgers sports. I doubt they know the name of Rutgers football coach. Certainly don’t know who the Gavins are.

How about Cook campus and The Farm? Passion Puddle. Never met a kid or adult who did not enjoy a boli at Stuff Yer Face. Wander around The Yard at corner of College Ave/Hamilton, and head North. Walk through the old campus.

Geology Museum is cool, but only open Fridays in July, and not in August.

As for the Zimmerli Art Museum:

Just a Reminder: The museum is closed to the public from July 31 to September 5 while we install new exhibitions & prepare programs for the fall!

Thanks. We will check out Stuff yer Face and Zimmerli. Suspect the kids will remember the food more than the art.

After the BC game last fall, we visited the MIT art museum and kids loved it.

Staying at Heldrich. Nice rooms <$200 in summer. Will visit Mason Gross School of Arts and theaters if they are open to the public. My 13 year old loves everything film and theater.

Reactions: retired711
Thanks. We will check out Stuff yer Face and Zimmerli. Suspect the kids will remember the food more than the art.

After the BC game last fall, we visited the MIT art museum and kids loved it.

Staying at Heldrich. Nice rooms <$200 in summer. Will visit Mason Gross School of Arts and theaters if they are open to the public. My 13 year old loves everything film and theater.
Zimmerli is closed.

How about Cook campus and The Farm? Passion Puddle. Never met a kid or adult who did not enjoy a boli at Stuff Yer Face. Wander around The Yard at corner of College Ave/Hamilton, and head North. Walk through the old campus.

Just a Reminder: The museum is closed to the public from July 31 to September 5 while we install new exhibitions & prepare programs for the fall!
When we lived in S Brunswick we took the kids to the Cook farm all the time as well as the Rutgers Gardens. Nice little trails back there

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Any tips to entertain my 3 kids, ages 15, 13, and 9?

During last summer’s visit, they liked the bookstore.

I bumped into some Rutgers friends who hadn’t visited campus in years. We agreed the neighborhood around the bookstore was unrecognizable compared to what is was like in the late 1990s when we were students.

Same thing for the neighborhood around George Strret and Livingston Ave.

None of these friends has interest in Rutgers sports. I doubt they know the name of Rutgers football coach. Certainly don’t know who the Gavins are.

Dave and Busters in Woodbridge

I was there on Thursday with my kids.

I can confirm it is open. I was inside yesterday. Great museum and free too.

Why did you think it was closed?

Hard to know what comments to believe on TKR.

Haha.

I think you can confirm it WAS open yesterday.

You said it IS open, which appears to be incorrect.

Hard to know what to believe I guess.

It's going to be closed, well, closed as of today according to their website: Zimmerli Art Museum: Museum Hours

Right at the top of the page it says:

The museum is closed to the public July 31 to September 5, 2023, while staff install new exhibitions for fall. We are available by email.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
My advice is to sell the kids. Opens up the range of workable options for such visits.

You can always sell them once in NB. Then you'll have ample spending money for the next 6 hours w/the wife, and then some.

Scarlet Fever, then Stuff Yer Face for lunch.
You consumer, you.

No "hike along the raritan", no "wander cook campus". Noooooo. Just buy stuff and eat stuff. 😀

I mean, there are usually some sheep out during the summer on Cook campus. I'm just saying. They don't call it a petting zoo for no reason.

FFS- I detailed it above multiple times. Just trying to provide useful information. Don't think you posted WHEN you were staying, and thought it might be this week and you'd like to know that. I'll refrain from providing information in the future so as to not risk my impeccable reputation in my own country. 😂

Reactions: Fat Koko
Mini hike in the woods? Rutgers Eco Preserve. I think I parked on Ave E somewhere.

Went to Zimmerli, Stuff Yer Face, walked around downtown New Brunswick. Decent 6 hours. Now on Point Pleasant Beach.

Struggling to pitch a Rutgers football game. The comic book giveaway and fireworks should make the Temple game exciting regardless to kids no matter whathappens on the field.

If they like hoops the JSBL has cple games in the Manasquan gym tonight (free)

One game at 7 and another at 830

Surf Taco right around corner from the gym

And Sundaes ice cream is open late, mile down the road right off rt 35 circle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT