ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers faculty union calls strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty much

an overwhelming percent of violent crime and most of the mass shooters

democrats are just violent on top of being censoring, controlling, unyielding, narrowminded, bigoted and of course the massive increase in mental health issues.

Clearly, you are the one with mental health issues. The Right are the bigots who are unable to accept that people identify as transgender or LGBTQ. They trample on the rights of people who wish to read books that differ with the past history of racism or mention anything to do with LGBRQ. They are the ones who want to control women's bodies. You can't tell me that Liberals have ever attempted to force someone to have an abortion.

so they accepted the job at a salary/rate, then the school cut that rate back during their employment? I am assuming this is the case.
Otherwise what the fu*k are we talking about? Adults who accepted a paid job, at an agreed upon rate, then at some point decide their employer isn't paying them enough? so they refuse to work? What world is this in?

i think i will try this today at my private company, i will report back on how it's going
Take an easy! I'm not attacking HS teachers. My mom was an adjunct professor (also HS teacher) for over 20 years and her pay never went up. Try that in a private company!

Last edited:
When were you in HS? Do you think the professional responsibilities are the same? Again, adjuncts have far less professional responsibilities. Adjunct teaching is not and was never intended to be a full time gig.
I graduated in 84 . My trig teacher didn't even have a math degree to boot!

Take an easy! I'm not attacking HS teachers. My mom was an adjunct professor for over 20 years and her pay never went up. Try that in a private company!
I can understand expecting pay to go up to reflect some cost of living expenses. But in this case the union is requesting adjuncts to receive fractional compensation equivalent to full time professors. And according to their own communication they will not settle for less than this. This is absurd. Adjunct faculty positions are not designed to be life long employment. These positions are stepping stone, foot in the door positions, or extra work positions, or a great retirement gig. Rutgers already pays almost $7k for an adjunct for a 3 credit class. That has to be the highest in the state. For comparison Monmouth pays just about $3k.

And for what it is worth, you are attacking teachers. You may not realize it but your comparison to the responsibilities and expectations of adjunct faculty is.

Reactions: toby83
Not really an outlier as our middle school gym teacher here in Monmouth County was making $110K and just retired at the age of 56 with a full pension and healthcare . No prep time, no grading, not sure what you mean about more responsibilities? And that is for only for 9-10 months out of the year.
When did this person retire? A quick search of 2018-19 Monmouth County PE teachers shows only 2 over $100k. The highest is $103,134. Sooooo..

The union’s own updates say they turned down an offer of 11.5% increase over 4 years, plus a 2% lump sum additional compensation year one and an additional 1% lump sum compensation the second year of the contract. This sounds like a very fair and reasonable, some would say very good offer from the university. They turned it down.

They just want to strike. They want to spark a movement, they are bored and long for Occupy Wallstreet or the BLM protests. Sad but true...its a fun invigorating social event for them....journalists going to rally in asbury park now...they want to I spire another season of protest. It's cultural/social. You can tell right away watching the video they put out, and the type of ppl in it. It's just true. They can't get everything they want. That's the nature of negotiation. If they won't accept a fair deal eventually, the admin will have to take them to court.

Adjunt is not a full time job, and the same classes aren't offered every semester...also, some other folks want a chance to be an adjunct. It's nice extra income for working people and it does an important service. These people want much higher wages and to be garaunteed a job every semester. It's judt a bit outlandish. Same with the grad students. You are in school AND being paid. It is never meant to be a liveable type deal. You need a roommate. BUT fine raise their salary to 37k whatever. End of the day though, there is alotta nonsense surrounding this strike.

And now you have Fulop and Baraka chiming in with their nonsense bc they are political vultures. It's a clown show.

My mom was an adjunct and a HS teacher and my father was a tenured professor. The issue is does a HS gym teacher warrant 5 times higher than an adjunct who gets no benefits and salaries have not changed in years.
The real question is, why would anyone work as an adjunct instead of a HS gym teacher with that salary difference? Which surely was transparent and known before accepting the position.

As a father of an RU freshman who is paying the bills and will probably have to pay more due to this strike, I get rutrack's position on pay, as these adjuncts have been relied on more and more by the university, essentially taking the place of full time professors. And as somebody who wants a good education for my daughter, I don't want anybody who would work for min wage and live in poverty teaching higher education classes, because basic economics would dictate that these might not be the most highly sought after talent.

As for rutrack himself he's a great guy who understands the subject, he's not attacking high school teachers only using them for comparison.

Reactions: rutrack
As a father of an RU freshman who is paying the bills and will probably have to pay more due to this strike, I get rutrack's position on pay, as these adjuncts have been relied on more and more by the university, essentially taking the place of full time professors. And as somebody who wants a good education for my daughter, I don't want anybody who would work for min wage and live in poverty teaching higher education classes, because basic economics would dictate that these might not be the most highly sought after talent.

As for rutrack himself he's a great guy who understands the subject, he's not attacking high school teachers only using them for comparison.
These are fair points. But if RU is going to find more full time staff, RU needs to require the staff to actually teach the courses. If you have attended RU in the past 30 years you know most classes are taught my GA’s and TA’s and just about all office hours are run by the GA’s or TA’s.

ADJUNCTS are not full time. What don't people get? I'm an attorney and many ppl I know are adjuncts on the side. My sister is a full-time teacher and is an adjunct on the side. The jobs are very very hard to get. And are quite sought after bc its great extra income.

Reactions: mdk01 and RUTGERS95

boy that place sure has changed. I recall having a few TAs for my Economic classes in addition to lectures by JJ Seneca but darn near every other course was a FT Prof. WOW.

I can understand expecting pay to go up to reflect some cost of living expenses. But in this case the union is requesting adjuncts to receive fractional compensation equivalent to full time professors. And according to their own communication they will not settle for less than this. This is absurd. Adjunct faculty positions are not designed to be life long employment. These positions are stepping stone, foot in the door positions, or extra work positions, or a great retirement gig. Rutgers already pays almost $7k for an adjunct for a 3 credit class. That has to be the highest in the state. For comparison Monmouth pays just about $3k.

And for what it is worth, you are attacking teachers. You may not realize it but your comparison to the responsibilities and expectations of adjunct faculty is.
My sister-in-law is an adjunct professor at NJIT (it's her 2nd job, she's an architect full time). I know she makes around that $7k mark to teach one 3 or 4 credit course per semester. So, the RU adjuncts are in line with NJIT.

ADJUNCTS are not full time. What don't people get? I'm an attorney and many ppl I know are adjuncts on the side. My sister is a full-time teacher and is an adjunct on the side. The jobs are very very hard to get. And are quite sought after bc its great extra income.
I understand that they are not suppose to be full time but my understanding is that the schools are using them more and more.

I can understand expecting pay to go up to reflect some cost of living expenses. But in this case the union is requesting adjuncts to receive fractional compensation equivalent to full time professors. And according to their own communication they will not settle for this. This is absurd. Adjunct faculty positions are not designed to be life long employment. These positions are stepping stone, foot in the door positions, or extra work positions, or a great retirement gig. Rutgers already pays almost $7k for an adjunct for a 3 credit class. That has to be the highest in the state. For comparison Monmouth pays just about $3k.

Apologies, I didn't mean to attack HS teachers and was attempting to show the unfairness of pay. As I posted Universities are no longer hiring full time professors and turning part time adjuncts into full time at the fraction of the pay and no benefits.
When did this person retire? A quick search of 2018-19 Monmouth County PE teachers shows only 2 over $100k. The highest is $103,134. Sooooo..
It was about 5 years ago. I will take a look but again but my point is that adjuncts pay have not gone up in years and have not kept up with cost of living, etc.
You think things are a little different 40 years from then?
Yes again apologies my intent was not to attack HS teachers as my mom was one.
When did this person retire? A quick search of 2018-19 Monmouth County PE teachers shows only 2 over $100k. The highest is $103. Sooooo. Her pay was $103,596 in 2015,

Yes my mon was an adjunct for over 20 years at Monmouth and her pay was the $3K for over 20 years I believe,
Apologies her pay was $106,XXX in 2018, She did have a masters
Yes. This person @rutrack is just posting without good information. Now won’t let it go.
Apologies she made $106,xxx in 2018. Didn't realize she had a masters.
Apologies, She actually made $106k in 2018 in the Middletown School District . She also had a masters. NJ spotlight news.org.

Reactions: NealPageNJ
My sister-in-law is an adjunct professor at NJIT (it's her 2nd job, she's an architect full time). I know she makes around that $7k mark to teach one 3 or 4 credit course per semester. So, the RU adjuncts are in line with NJIT.
Is it 3 or 4 credits because that matters here.

• Haha
Reactions: PeteGiam07
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT