ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Rutgers University faculty votes to strike, threatening to shut down classes

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
For the first time in its 256-year history, classes at the three campuses of Rutgers University may come to a halt for its 67,620 students as faculty members gave their union leaders the authority to call for a strike a week from now.

Faculty members at the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses overwhelmingly voted yes to a strike in a secret ballot on Friday afternoon.

64e6e764-cf90-4ae2-8534-cab3bd82866d-NotSoFunFacts-SM-4-grad_workers.png

I don't know if they are the problem. The pay is pretty piss poor for Newark and New Brunswick. The BOG should look at the overproliferation of useless Deans, Assistant Deans, VPs and Directors for a host of useless functions and services.

Might want to take a look at some of the racist "studies" professors that like to appear on the internet.

I'm sure if the faculty wanted to give up some of their salaries for the grad students Rutgers would be more than happy to oblige.

I thought RU was all about equity. Guess it does not apply to faculty.

I don't know if they are the problem. The pay is pretty piss poor for Newark and New Brunswick. The BOG should look at the overproliferation of useless Deans, Assistant Deans, VPs and Directors for a host of useless functions and services.
agree on second premise but grad asst salaries shouldn't be high, they are not worthy of it and I had one!

I'd fire them all, hire new

public unions should be abolished as they are in direct conflict with taxpayer interests and simply put; are not needed with today's employment laws

fking joke

A big FU to the grad assistant who lost my FINAL EXAM that I was forced to retake summer break July 98 right before I applied to law school

That is all

I think PSU is a good comp. But I wonder if that’s only college park.

A big FU to the grad assistant who lost my FINAL EXAM that I was forced to retake summer break July 98 right before I applied to law school

That is all
You are complaining about retaking a summer break 😀? Did you steal his girlfriend or c* blocked him at a party?

This is a microcosm of the whole country when staffing and spending is out of control because you assume you can just keep raising tuition and taxes.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
You are complaining about retaking a summer break 😀? Did you steal his girlfriend or c* blocked him at a party?

It was an exam I took in May second semester finals

Called for my grades mid June it was missing. Prof tells me call the grad assistant

SHE answers, kids screaming in the background sorry I can't seem to find it...thanks for nothing lady

There I was taking the exam for the second time in his office mid-July

I get an A which gave me an A for the class.

Scumbag prof Waxman emails and said "since I put you thru so much trouble I'm giving you the A" to which I responded thanks but I already earned it twice, jack

It was an exam I took in May second semester finals

Called for my grades mid June it was missing. Prof tells me call the grad assistant

SHE answers, kids screaming in the background sorry I can't seem to find it...thanks for nothing lady

There I was taking the exam for the second time in his office mid-July

I get an A which gave me an A for the class.

Scumbag prof Waxman emails and said "since I put you thru so much trouble I'm giving you the A" to which I responded thanks but I already earned it twice, jack
Maybe you should’ve been more receptive to her advances.

For the first time in its 256-year history, classes at the three campuses of Rutgers University may come to a halt for its 67,620 students as faculty members gave their union leaders the authority to call for a strike a week from now.

Faculty members at the New Brunswick, Newark and Camden campuses overwhelmingly voted yes to a strike in a secret ballot on Friday afternoon.

64e6e764-cf90-4ae2-8534-cab3bd82866d-NotSoFunFacts-SM-4-grad_workers.png

The thread title is misleading. The faculty did not vote to strike. They voted to authorize their leadership to call a strike -- something the leadership has no intention of doing for the time being. It is just a tactic to try to put some additional pressure on the administration to negotiate. (As usual, negotiations are going on months after the last contract expired.) The faculty did the same thing last time, and there was a settlement without a strike.

There's a problem with calling a strike -- the union can't be sure how many faculty would actually strike. Some would take the position that students, who after all are paying to be educated, should not be punished for whatever the administration is doing wrong.

IMHO, there is not going to be a strike.

Is that the Penn St campus just outside of DC ? Is it D1 ?
Sorry that he offended your university (everyone knows you’re a Penn State fan so this reply doesn’t surprise me)

Now back to the thread, that’s a stupid graphic to conveniently call Penn and Princeton “peer” institutions when it comes to financial items. A better comparison would be Penn State (all campuses combined, if you’re going to compare to Newark and Camden like they do here), Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois.

Also, the cost of living is cheaper in Princeton than in New Brunswick?? Seems fishy

Most salary comparisons between Rutgers New Brunswick and other institutions are BS because New Brunswick doesn't have a law school and most of the "peer" schools do. That's important because (pssst) law faculty have higher average salaries than most other faculty.

Reactions: Knight Shift
The thread title is misleading. The faculty did not vote to strike. They voted to authorize their leadership to call a strike -- something the leadership has no intention of doing for the time being. It is just a tactic to try to put some additional pressure on the administration to negotiate. (As usual, negotiations are going on months after the last contract expired.) The faculty did the same thing last time, and there was a settlement without a strike.

There's a problem with calling a strike -- the union can't be sure how many faculty would actually strike. Some would take the position that students, who after all are paying to be educated, should not be punished for whatever the administration is doing wrong.

IMHO, there is not going to be a strike.
I used the Gannett (Asbury Park Press) newspaper headline. They have a habit of running misleading headlines about Rutgers, particularly on the subject of athletics spending. They are just spreading the disease.

This group of clowns didn’t show up to work for what, 2 years in person? And they want a raise ? Sorry, you did nothing to earn your current bloated salaries, much less a raise. It’s laughable. Corporations are chopping heads left and right as they should. And they want a raise. Hilarious.

Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
Most salary comparisons between Rutgers New Brunswick and other institutions are BS because New Brunswick doesn't have a law school and most of the "peer" schools do. That's important because (pssst) law faculty have higher average salaries than most other faculty.
That's a good point.

Are RWJ faculty included? That would probably balance it out some

Are RWJ faculty included? That would probably balance it out some
I don't know, but keep in mind that many of the comparison schools also have medical schools. BTW, I don't know if the Business School faculty counts as New Brunswick, and business faculty, like law faculty, are paid on a higher scale.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT