ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Holloway says strike is over

From all that's been posted on here about the strike it seems obvious that most of you have never negotiated a contract. Certainly not as an employee.
I have, multiple times - not exactly "fun" but certainly interesting...
I should have known that you might be the only one here that has been to the bargaining table with management. My first time was a real eye opener.

I should have known that you might be the only one here that has been to the bargaining table with management. My first time was a real eye opener.
Sorry, I may have been unclear. I was on the management side (a member, being in charge of one of our major facilities, but not the lead negotiator), negotiating with the union a couple of times (3-year contracts). Lots of drama and posturing on both sides, but no strikes and some concessions by both sides.

Sorry, I may have been unclear. I was on the management side (a member, being in charge of one of our major facilities, but not the lead negotiator), negotiating with the union a couple of times (3-year contracts). Lots of drama and posturing on both sides, but no strikes and some concessions by both sides.

That must make you the devil incarnate. [/sarcasm]

Sorry. I misunderstood.
I assure you it's a whole different ballgame when you're representing a rather large group of workers whose jobs may be on the line. Especially if they're Teamsters.
I'll never forget my first session with that company and their lawyers when I had to come back to the workers and tell them what the company was offering for the next three years.
Good times.

Not sure what the students “won” other than the ability to resume the education they were being deprived of by the strikers. Not sure I’d call that a win.
They are back in school and have teachers kind of a win better than the alternative

Sorry. I misunderstood.
I assure you it's a whole different ballgame when you're representing a rather large group of workers whose jobs may be on the line. Especially if they're Teamsters.
I'll never forget my first session with that company and their lawyers when I had to come back to the workers and tell them what the company was offering for the next three years.
Good times.
I have been at the negotiating table multiple times on the union side.

There is usually give and take on both sides. You try to make your case and keep it professional.

I have been at the negotiating table multiple times on the union side.

There is usually give and take on both sides. You try to make your case and keep it professional.
Long ago I was involved in university negotiations management side- twice on faculty contracts. One was led by very aggressive/antagonistic faculty member, the other much more friendly on both sides. It was interesting for sure.

Long ago I was involved in university negotiations management side- twice on faculty contracts. One was led by very aggressive/antagonistic faculty member, the other much more friendly on both sides. It was interesting for sure.
Aggressive or antagonistic is not my style. I do not believe it works.

You should try to reach a reasonable agreement and understand both sides have priorities.

If you want something expect you might have to give up something to get it so know what is really important to the majority of those you represent.

You should try to reach a reasonable agreement and understand both sides have priorities.

If you want something expect you might have to give up something to get it so know what is really important to the majority of those you represent.
Or if you are a RU union, you strike, shut down classes, hold students hostage, and cry to the liberal NJ press.

They are back in school and have teachers kind of a win better than the alternative
Something they paid for was taken from them and held hostage. The hostage takers were rewarded and the students got back what was rightfully theirs. “kind of a win” 🤪

Reactions: NB25

Not related to negotiations but at women’s hoops used to have seats near Welles Keddy (sp?) who was big in faculty union. At one game they had some kind of contest sponsored by Continental Air, which was then having labor issues. When the announcer named Continental as the sponsor, Welles stood up and booed loudly, while his seat mate tried to pull him back down.

Not related to negotiations but at women’s hoops used to have seats near Welles Keddy (sp?) who was big in faculty union. At one game they had some kind of contest sponsored by Continental Air, which was then having labor issues. When the announcer named Continental as the sponsor, Welles stood up and booed loudly, while his seat mate tried to pull him back down.
Wells Keddie. He was sufficiently big in the union that it established a scholarship fund in his memory. To the best of my knowledge, I never met him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT