ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Acceptable construction times

DJ Spanky

The Lunatic is in my Head
Jul 25, 2001
So the unit next to ours sold, and they've been doing some extensive renovations there. However, the times people are working over there are questionable. What hours during the day is deemed acceptable to be doing construction?

For me, I’d consider 8am-6pm acceptable. I could see an argument for 7am, especially in the summertime (but would still prefer 8am).

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Check yer towns web site or call permits office for Official start stop time.
But if its owners and they worked all day then...
Good luck with that.

Reactions: Spanky Da Karen
If there is anything at all that Facebook is still good for, this is it.

Find your local town resident group and ask.
You’ll get detailed responses citing the town ordinances within 15min.

Not a week goes by that someone isn’t complaining about landscapers starting too early and asking what hours they are allowed to operate.

So the unit next to ours sold, and they've been doing some extensive renovations there. However, the times people are working over there are questionable. What hours during the day is deemed acceptable to be doing construction?
What do you consider construction? Are they doing the work after a normal work day or overnight?

What do you consider construction? Are they doing the work after a normal work day or overnight?

Renovations by contractors. Complete kitchen rebuild, hardwood flooring install, etc. Some of the work has been done in the evening. And on weekends. We can hear it through the common wall we share.

• Haha
Renovations by contractors. Complete kitchen rebuild, hardwood flooring install, etc. Some of the work has been done in the evening. And on weekends. We can hear it through the common wall we share.
That stinks, but probably very common, unfortunately. Like others mentioned, I'm sure you can lean on your town's rules.

Does your HOA have any by-laws regarding construction?

I would say this
Monday to Friday 7 am to 8 pm .
Saturday 10 am to 6 pm
Sunday - no construction

I don’t have any logic behind this. Just what I would consider acceptable

But I am sure your development and/or city has rules

Reactions: newell138
Also , is this indoor construction or outside ?? Or both. ? I would think that’s a factor in your answer

That’s a tough one since it’s right on top of you. Many towns set 8 am as the start time, but let’s face it, contractors and landscapers don’t pay attention to it. But your situation is different. Is there an HOA (I know, dirty word here) or the municipality can get involved? This seems out of bounds from the usual noise we experience.

Basically 9-5. Often noise ordinances are drivers of hours IIRC.

My town has an 7-6 weekday rule & an 8-3 Saturday rule
That sounds about right. I think my town is 7:30 am start but it’s violated often. Like I said, not a huge issue for me, but in Spanky’s case this is a big pain in the ass.

How about growing a sack and have a conversation with the new neighbor? It’s better than going and working through back channels to try to go tell on someone.

How about growing a sack and have a conversation with the new neighbor? It’s better than going and working through back channels to try to go tell on someone.
Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

Some guys with full-time jobs run construction work on the side. Teachers, police, fireman and others have done home remodeling etc part-time. They might come and go more than usual

Some guys with full-time jobs run construction work on the side. Teachers, police, fireman and others have done home remodeling etc part-time. They might come and go more than usual
Or the workers fit things in when they can. A house across the street from me is being fully re-modeled and there all different types of workers coming at strange times. Don't really hear much though and the property was such an eyesore for so long that I'm happy something is finally being done with it. They can come and work at midnight for all I care.

By me it's no start before 8 am and end by 6 pm.

If work is being done by the homeowner himself many places have more liberal rules. 8am to 6pm is usually the rule for private construction compamies.

You're really a nasty piece of work aren't you? You immediately make assumptions and go on the attack. All I asked was about what would be considered reasonable hours; no where did I indicate what I would do if anything. In addition you assume there is someone living there: there isn't. So we don't even know who the homeowner is. We fully intend to welcome them to the neighborhood when they move in, although we don't know if it'll be the owner or if they intend to rent it out. The prior owner was a loner who no one in the neighborhood knew, even though he was one of the original buyers in the complex. We tried, but he was someone who just stayed with himself, which is why he died alone.

I don't know why you feel the need to be so miserable when responding to people. There's a wealth of information on this board, which is why in situations like this I'd rather depend upon people's knowledge and experience.

You're really a nasty piece of work aren't you? You immediately make assumptions and go on the attack. All I asked was about what would be considered reasonable hours; no where did I indicate what I would do if anything. In addition you assume there is someone living there: there isn't. So we don't even know who the homeowner is. We fully intend to welcome them to the neighborhood when they move in, although we don't know if it'll be the owner or if they intend to rent it out. The prior owner was a loner who no one in the neighborhood knew, even though he was one of the original buyers in the complex. We tried, but he was someone who just stayed with himself, which is why he died alone.

I don't know why you feel the need to be so miserable when responding to people. There's a wealth of information on this board, which is why in situations like this I'd rather depend upon people's knowledge and experience.

He really is a horrible person. Just block him.

• Haha
Reactions: TRU2RU and fsg2
Just go talk to the contractor and ask them when they will be done with the work because the noise getting to be excessive.

They know they are making noise and aren't following any town noise ordinance...

Reactions: RUPete
What town are you in OP? We can find the town law online for you . The HOA we won’t be able to find

My former neighbor hired a rogue roofing crew to put on a new roof during my Memorial Day family barbeque. It was obvious that the crew was moonlighting from their regular job to grab extra monies. It was also apparent that my former neighbor didn't give a shit about his neighbors so he can save some money for the job. It totally spoiled my event. Oh well.

• Angry
Reactions: Bagarocks
My former neighbor hired a rogue roofing crew to put on a new roof during my Memorial Day family barbeque. It was obvious that the crew was moonlighting from their regular job to grab extra monies. It was also apparent that my former neighbor didn't give a shit about his neighbors so he can save some money for the job. It totally spoiled my event. Oh well.
This was on Memorial Day ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT