ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Amazing D3 championship on espnU now

Over 1k in total offense for both teams and only ONE turnover for the whole game.

3 total punts for the game.

CRAZY box score

Last edited:
Reactions: Zimm80
Another great game that ends with the idiotic coaching decision of going for 2 when the consequence of failure means losing the game. Someone inevitably will counter with "yeah but if they convert then they win," to which my counterargument is if they have that kind of confidence in their 2-point conversions, then why not go for them all the time? After all, even if you fail 50% of the time, you're still breaking even and that's assuming your kicker never misses an extra point.

Now in this particular game, the decision to go for 2 is even more egregious because there was still 1:20 left, plenty of time for North Central (great school name by the way) to get to field goal range so you don't even have the upside of sealing a victory by converting--the upside is a one-point lead with 1:20 left and the other team has the ball, and the downside is needing to recover an onside kick to have any hope of winning. Whether they tied the score with an extra point or went up by one with a 2-point conversion, either way they would have to stop North Central from getting to field goal range, but missing the 2 just made it so North Central didn't even have to do that.

Last edited:
How many punt returns?
The box score says…

time house GIF

Crazy..

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
But I do see 5 kickoff returns for 105 yards for SUNY and 6 kickoff returns for 136 yards for North Central. That would be too much return activity for our fans to watch.
What’s a punt return ? Is there a reason to do that ?

What is crazy Cortland was lucky to win a few weeks ago when the Grove City kicker missed a shortish FG (about 35 yds) as time expired to win the game. They ended up national champs.

Another great game that ends with the idiotic coaching decision of going for 2 when the consequence of failure means losing the game. Someone inevitably will counter with "yeah but if they convert then they win," to which my counterargument is if they have that kind of confidence in their 2-point conversions, then why not go for them all the time? After all, even if you fail 50% of the time, you're still breaking even and that's assuming your kicker never misses an extra point.

Now in this particular game, the decision to go for 2 is even more egregious because there was still 1:20 left, plenty of time for North Central (great school name by the way) to get to field goal range so you don't even have the upside of sealing a victory by converting--the upside is a one-point lead with 1:20 left and the other team has the ball, and the downside is needing to recover an onside kick to have any hope of winning. Whether they tied the score with an extra point or went up by one with a 2-point conversion, either way they would have to stop North Central from getting to field goal range, but missing the 2 just made it so North Central didn't even have to do that.
Horrible take
If you tie it they still get the ball so nothing changes on that end
And you still have to win in OT
Nothing wrong with going for the win

Reactions: RU from Jersey
Horrible take
Horrible take my ass. If they think they are more likely to convert than not, then why did they not go for two on any of their other touchdowns? Because it wasn't worth the risk? Well then if it's too risky, why would you go for it when (and ONLY when) failure to convert loses you the game?

Last edited:
Horrible take my ass. If they think they are more likely to convert than not, then why did they not go for two on any of their other touchdowns? Because it wasn't worth the risk? Well then if it's too risky, why would you go for it when (and ONLY when) failure to convert loses you the game?
You’ve obviously never coached at a level. Probably didn’t play either.

You’ve obviously never coached at a level. Probably didn’t play either.
I'll admit I have not, and I normally don't pretend to know more than the coaches like a lot of people do, but you don't gotta be Vince Lombardi to understand that most two-point conversions are unsuccessful. The conversion rate is about 40%, so going for it only increased the likelihood of them losing, and that is exactly what happened.

I'll admit I have not, and I normally don't pretend to know more than the coaches like a lot of people do, but you don't gotta be Vince Lombardi to understand that most two-point conversions are unsuccessful. The conversion rate is about 40%, so going for it only increased the likelihood of them losing, and that is exactly what happened.
Yet these coaches at every level do it over and over again. Because at that point they feel they have the momentum. Same thing happened last Weekend in FCS quarterfinals. Furman scored with a few seconds left. Went for two but went offsides. Kicked the XP and then lost in OT.

Horrible take
Yes. Sometimes teams are gassed and maybe NC coaches thought that they had to win it right then and there.

Yet these coaches at every level do it over and over again. Because at that point they feel they have the momentum. Same thing happened last Weekend in FCS quarterfinals. Furman scored with a few seconds left. Went for two but went offsides. Kicked the XP and then lost in OT.
Until recently it was very rare to go for it on 4th and 1 despite the data showing that you should, so something being conventional doesn't mean it is correct. That Furman play is a terrible example, sure the play didn't fully pan out because of the flag, but that play appeared to be going nowhere. It if wasn't for the false start, they would have been another example of a team losing by going for 2 at the riskiest possible time. However, I will say that at least in that game, there was such little time left that converting does at least seemingly clinch a win. Cortland going for 2 didn't even have the upside of sealing a victory, they still had to stop North Central with 1:20 either way. The downside of sealing a loss far outweighed the upside.

Reactions: RUinBoston
Until recently it was very rare to go for it on 4th and 1 despite the data showing that you should, so something being conventional doesn't mean it is correct. That Furman play is a terrible example, sure the play didn't fully pan out because of the flag, but that play appeared to be going nowhere. It if wasn't for the false start, they would have been another example of a team losing by going for 2 at the riskiest possible time. However, I will say that at least in that game, there was such little time left that converting does at least seemingly clinch a win. Cortland going for 2 didn't even have the upside of sealing a victory, they still had to stop North Central with 1:20 either way. The downside of sealing a loss far outweighed the upside.
I suspect even with only 40% odds there are times when going for 2 might outweigh taking it to overtime. And some teams probably have better than 40% odds. But that's with like 5 seconds left. In this case, as you say, with 1:20 on the clock, you are just shooting yourself in the foot. I imagine it's similar to playing poker....sometimes you just really want to go all in and get it over with. But as a professional coach, you have to know better.

Yes
The UW Whitewater
Then Mary Hardin Baylor
But mount Union is always the standard

A few years ago another upstate NY team (Brockport) in the same conference as Cortland went to the title game vs Mary Hardin Baylor. Somehow upstate NY got good in small college ball.

Brady's Bucs won Super Bowl with a Pro Bowl OL (Ali Marpat) who played at Hobart (2,700 students). He was drafted 61st in 2015. He was basketball in high school, and was under the radar for football, but he lead combine for athletic drills. I always say there are football diamonds in the rough in basketball

I forgot to add - in response to the "they had the momentum" argument...a team that just scored a touchdown usually does have the momentum, but the fact remains that most two point conversions are unsuccessful.

Cortland scored 35 points in 2nd half.

North Central coach might not have had much more confidence in his defense. They weren't making stops anymore. Maybe someone was a vulnerable back-up in the game. Not all decisions are based on stats. I think Cortland coach calling TO and buggering-up the play to the wide side was a good call NC went short side and Cortland's whole defense was waiting)

Cortland scored 35 points in 2nd half.

North Central coach might not have had much more confidence in his defense. They weren't making stops anymore. Maybe someone was a vulnerable back-up in the game. Not all decisions are based on stats. I think Cortland coach calling TO and buggering-up the play to the wide side was a good call NC went short side and Cortland's whole defense was waiting)
Cortland scored 35 points in the second half, but North Central scored 30 (most likely would have been 31 with the XP). Each team scored on five of six drives in the second half and the only difference was one of North Central's was a field goal instead of a touchdown, and even that drive made it to the 7 yard line, so those numbers are pretty even. Now before you make the argument that since you've scored on your last five drives, it makes sense to go for two, I'd argue that this is even more of a case to take it to overtime because stopping a drive is more difficult than stopping one play.

Cortland scored 35 points in the second half, but North Central scored 30 (most likely would have been 31 with the XP). Each team scored on five of six drives in the second half and the only difference was one of North Central's was a field goal instead of a touchdown, and even that drive made it to the 7 yard line, so those numbers are pretty even. Now before you make the argument that since you've scored on your last five drives, it makes sense to go for two, I'd argue that this is even more of a case to take it to overtime because stopping a drive is more difficult than stopping one play.

I'm not promoting one situation over another specifically. I just dont always go with the statistical analysis as the primary. Its not unusual to hear coaches say they gambled on a win over a tie because they felt their defense or offense was stressed in some fashion. For me, a big mistake was going to the skinny side of the field in the red zone. A compressed vertical field and horizontal field on same play also carries some poor stats

It closer to 50%. Actually 48.2%. It was a great move by the head coach. He had a chance to win the game when the other team did not. In OT everyone gets a chance. And after a few rounds you are forced to go for 2point conversion only.

Reactions: tico brown
It closer to 50%. Actually 48.2%. It was a great move by the head coach. He had a chance to win the game when the other team did not. In OT everyone gets a chance. And after a few rounds you are forced to go for 2point conversion only.
Where did you find that statistic? When I looked it up I found an article from a couple months ago that says NCAA 2-point conversion success rates range from 40.5% to 42.7%, but it didn't cite any sources so if you have something more credible I'd like to see it.

Anyway, it is 100% wrong to say North Central had a chance to win the game when the other team did not. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Even if they converted, North Central would need their defense to go out and win the game for them, so no matter what, North Central didn't have a chance to immediately win the game, but they gave their opponent a chance of immediately winning, and it was at least a 50% chance. With all else being equal, would you put your opponent's king in check if it meant giving him a 50% chance of checkmating you? Of course not. The downside outweighs the upside.

Where did you find that statistic? When I looked it up I found an article from a couple months ago that says NCAA 2-point conversion success rates range from 40.5% to 42.7%, but it didn't cite any sources so if you have something more credible I'd like to see it.

Anyway, it is 100% wrong to say North Central had a chance to win the game when the other team did not. In fact, it's the exact opposite. Even if they converted, North Central would need their defense to go out and win the game for them, so no matter what, North Central didn't have a chance to immediately win the game, but they gave their opponent a chance of immediately winning, and it was at least a 50% chance. With all else being equal, would you put your opponent's king in check if it meant giving him a 50% chance of checkmating you? Of course not. The downside outweighs the upside.
It was a five year average. Chess and football is a terrible analogy.

It was a five year average. Chess and football is a terrible analogy.
Fine then ignore the analogy. The point is they created a situation where the only team that could win the game on that play was their opponent, and it was at least a 50% chance of that happening.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
Fine then ignore the analogy. The point is they created a situation where the only team that could win the game on that play was their opponent, and it was at least a 50% chance of that happening.
If they scored on the conversion don't they win?

Ok. I was given the impression it was just maybe a play or two.
And with that much time left you would hope the other team would need a TD instead of only a FG to beat you.

Although, I don’t know how good the Cortland kicker is.🤷‍♂️

I live in Cortland and the SUNY school is the phys. Ed. program for the state schools. Jocks all over the place!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT