ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone every use grass instead of asphalt for basketball court

mikershoein

All American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2006
My daughter is getting into basketball, and at the moment if I were to put a court in, I'd have to extend / flatten / and level my driveway, which most quotes have come in at 5k or higher.
Anyone grow up using there yard as a court? I'd hate to drop that cash if she loses interest in a year or two

I put the net back there and cut the grass to shape, but the ground is still bumpy. Anyone every do this or put in pavers for a court in their yard? Or any other items of advice. My guess is letting air out of the ball would allow her to focus on shooting since dribbling would be crappy

Many years ago my father and I used patio pavers and it worked pretty well.

She's "getting into basketball" and you need a court? Maybe start with a hoop weighed down by some sand bags? For 5 grand you could Uber her to MSG and back for a few years.

Is there no nearby park with a basket? Or a YMCA? Or a school gym to which you can get access? Building a court for a kid just getting into it is a wonderfully loving thing to do, but maybe a bit premature. Maybe keep/put the $5K into an investment account for her for a couple years and see if she sticks with it.

I've never seen or hear of basketball on grass. I wouldn't advise your doing that. You know anyone from brooklyn? If so, tell him to come over with the cement truck. He'll pave over all the grass probably for free.

I do recall once staying at a hotel that had a plastic grid court that might serve. Maybe something like this. I think grass/weeds growing through the tiles would be a problem, causing slipping. But, if the ground is flat you might remove the sod, lay down some 25 year weed-blocker, pour a little sand and then lay down some tile. Easier to remove later and go back to grass. I did not look for best pricing, but this site would suggest a 20 foot by 20 foot square would cost about $2500, jut for the tiles.

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/homecourt-interlocking-floor-tiles

Is there no nearby park with a basket? Or a YMCA? Or a school gym to which you can get access? Building a court for a kid just getting into it is a wonderfully loving thing to do, but maybe a bit premature. Maybe keep/put the $5K into an investment account for her for a couple years and see if she sticks with it.
that's what i was thinking... hell, right down the road from me i could shoot some hoops if i wanted to

Go straight to this, cost my neighor 5 figures and is used as often as I play the violin. An eysore and a waste. Yes that is his side yard.

Go straight to this, cost my neighor 5 figures and is used as often as I play the violin. An eysore and a waste. Yes that is his side yard.

He get a bldg permit for that? Normally structures are not permitted to be inside yards, and something like this would have required a variance.

He get a bldg permit for that? Normally structures are not permitted to be inside yards, and something like this would have required a variance.

Did not, when the town found out he had to spend thousands on a lawyer and full property survey, as well as an impact assessment on drainage to permit it. We got a letter saying we could appeal....we chose the path of least resistance and did not force them to rip it out on the condition that they landscape around it...needless to say town said he could keep it if he landscaped around "hide it" he never did that either. I will contact the planning board at some pt and ask them to enforce the landscaping requirement.

Reactions: KingHigh
My buddy had a grass/dirt court growing up. Not the best but we played on it all the time. Wasn't really too bad.

Wow, sad to see something like that not get used. Looks like a community park

We have a court at the park across the street from our house that has those interlocking plastic grid tiles. Not sure if that is a cost savings or even feasible on your property. But why not one of those portable hoops that you can stand up in your street? We have several in our neighborhood, and when the kids outgrow them, someone is always willing to take it off their hands.

Wow, sad to see something like that not get used. Looks like a community park

People have to realize if you kid is a budding star in 7/8 grade, tou wont get 4/5 years of use, you will get 2 years. Once they get to high school, they will play at the high school if they are any good. Kid goes on to college? They may have 1 or 2 summer beer parties, wher you hang on the bench and drink and kids try trick shot till they ar board, or they break my side window.

Reactions: RUJMM78
We have a court at the park across the street from our house that has those interlocking plastic grid tiles. Not sure if that is a cost savings or even feasible on your property. But why not one of those portable hoops that you can stand up in your street? We have several in our neighborhood, and when the kids outgrow them, someone is always willing to take it off their hands.
We would live to, but our street of 20 houses has become a cut thru for non residents. We petitioned for speed bumps and rumble strips, but limerick township (pa) has declined.

Growing up I knew two guys who had basketball "courts" in their yards. It wasn't too bad playing on them. But that was in the 60s and 70s when passing was part of the skill of the game. I'm not sure how much use they would get now that basketball is all about dribbling and going one-on-one.

One of our neighbors down the block is a doctor. They use this house as their weekend country house with their main home in NYC. He works at a hospital in manhattan. He put in a basketball court / tennis court in for his wife and kids. They've used it maybe 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. He would have been better off putting in a pool. Just my 2 cents... take her to a park or playground to practice shooting.

Dig a pool and use a thick wood ( plastic) cover on it. Have daughter play her basketball then go for swim after she's finished.
What type of wood ( plastic), thickness and putting it on for basketball and taking it off for swimming I'll leave for others to find the best way.
Also, according to where you live, might use the pool for hockey when too cold for basketball [winking]

Order a couple of yards of clay and have it dumped where you want to put the court. Level it out, hose it down with water and tamp it down. Cheap and easy to remove later on.

My daughter is getting into basketball, and at the moment if I were to put a court in, I'd have to extend / flatten / and level my driveway, which most quotes have come in at 5k or higher.
Anyone grow up using there yard as a court? I'd hate to drop that cash if she loses interest in a year or two

I put the net back there and cut the grass to shape, but the ground is still bumpy. Anyone every do this or put in pavers for a court in their yard? Or any other items of advice. My guess is letting air out of the ball would allow her to focus on shooting since dribbling would be crappy
dribbling is over-rated

Wow, seriusly? Reading thru this and then realized you pulled back up from 2 years ago??!!

Dig a pool and use a thick wood ( plastic) cover on it. Have daughter play her basketball then go for swim after she's finished.
What type of wood ( plastic), thickness and putting it on for basketball and taking it off for swimming I'll leave for others to find the best way.
Also, according to where you live, might use the pool for hockey when too cold for basketball [winking]

Huh, wat?

MADHAT1 said:
-----------------------------------------------------
Huh, wat?

9814274_thumb.jpg

MADHAT1 said:
-----------------------------------------------------

9814274_thumb.jpg
Damn...that is what I get for arguing with someone wether Jennifer Lawrence was a dog or not...the sarcasm meter goes haywire

Reactions: MADHAT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT