ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Grass seed recommendations?

Extra Point

Heisman Winner
Aug 9, 2001
I want to put grass seed down on a large patch in my yard. Looking at the box stores online, there are dozens of different 'products' some come with dirt and fertilizer mixed in, or water retention chemicals, and some for shade, some grasses that are for fast growth and then die. It makes it confusing. My patch gets shade and sun. My question is, what grass seeds have you used that sprouted fine and would recommend? I would need a smaller sized bag, not 20 pounds of seed.

I want to put grass seed down on a large patch in my yard. Looking at the box stores online, there are dozens of different 'products' some come with dirt and fertilizer mixed in, or water retention chemicals, and some for shade, some grasses that are for fast growth and then die. It makes it confusing. My patch gets shade and sun. My question is, what grass seeds have you used that sprouted fine and would recommend? I would need a smaller sized bag, not 20 pounds of seed.
Go to siteone.com and buy their Tall Fescue blend. Make sure you put down starter fertilizer with it. This is what many professional landscapers use. You are much better off putting seed down in the fall and you must water every day when you out down seed and starter fertilizer.

On the other part of your lawn use their 3 in 1 fertilizer, Proscape, this month.

Go to siteone.com and buy their Tall Fescue blend. Make sure you put down starter fertilizer with it. This is what many professional landscapers use. You are much better off putting seed down in the fall and you must water every day when you out down seed and starter fertilizer.

On the other part of your lawn use their 3 in 1 fertilizer, Proscape, this month.
I like tall fescue because it is easy to grow and drought-resistant -- but some people don't like the thick blades.

A university we've all heard of has a lot of advice to give on lawns: it's worth reading.

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/fs102/

Grass seed germination rate drops 10-20 percent for every year of storage. Make sure you’re not buying old seed.
Agreed, this piece on reading seed label is worth a look. By the way, I agree with your concept of declining germination each year. I’m somewhat astounded that I started some indoor pots of Bewitched KBG 15 days ago and have excellent germination???? I’m very surprised, but happy. But your point still stands: check the date of the seed as well as other important metrics such as those cited in the attached link.

Last edited:
Oh I thought this was about Sativa vs. Indica.

A few years ago I realized and experienced that the best seed for me was one specific to my local soil that our local nursery carried. Made just for the area.

Who else thought this was going to be a thread about marijuana?
I'll make it so 😇
>The best company for buying cannabis seeds from is Seed Supreme, taking into account reputation, promotions, payment methods, delivery, germination guarantee and available strains. Other reputable seed banks include ILGM, Homegrown Cannabis Co and Seedsman.<

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT