ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anyone have feedback on owning a LandRover Discovery HSE?

Morrischiano

All American
Dec 3, 2019
I’ve been in the market for new/certified used SUVs and came across a 2018 Land Rover discovery HSE Luxury with low miles. The car is beautiful and rides pretty well. I’m just worried about the reputation for those cars not being reliable. Does anyone have any ownership experience with the 2017-2020 model?

No experience, but I wouldn't touch an LR, as cool as they are, because of the rep of which you you speak. Would love a new Defender, but would go 4Runner, GX or even Wrangler over it, every time.

There are much better vehicles out there for pretty much anything you could possibly be using it for, imo.

I’ve been in the market for new/certified used SUVs and came across a 2018 Land Rover discovery HSE Luxury with low miles. The car is beautiful and rides pretty well. I’m just worried about the reputation for those cars not being reliable. Does anyone have any ownership experience with the 2017-2020 model?
I believe that reputation is well deserved. No idea why, but they have more problems than other cars. Make sure the warranty is solid.

Every automotive mechanic I know and trust has warned me away from LRs. Consumers Reports used to rate them poorly for reliability, but I haven't checked anytime recently. I think it's worth keeping in mind that even the lowest reliability cars out there are probably far more reliable than most cars were 25 years ago. So being at or near the bottom doesn't necessarily spell doom and gloom in ownership.

If I was considering one, I'd visit the Land Rover forums and spend a half day searching and reading up on the specific model and year. Skip the usual post-purchase ownership raves and the fan-boy posts and focus on the "having a problem with..." and "... stopped working" type posts. Pay attention to the folks who like do a lot of their own basic maintenance and who spend time fiddling with their cars.

I find that to be a reasonably good way to get a true sense of what problems are common and truly problematic.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrsScrew
If you’re going to Lease who cares - never buy that vehicle - get the Telluride and take the remainder and buy Bitcoin

Reactions: rutgersal
My wife has had a Range Rover since 09...no problems. But we have never considered a Land Rover
With the Range’s never a problem though.

Specific to your inquiry- it is a CPO so should have at least 2 more years on warranty- find out the cost of an extended warranty and maybe see if you can get maintenance into the deal. Negotiate the price and when happy- ask for maintenance to be thrown in to close the deal. They may just do it.
Also- don’t go much over 60 months on your payments...it would then be 8 years old and that is where they usually start having issues and if no longer on warranty- it gets costly

Reactions: Morrischiano
I know a few people with them. They all love the vehicle when it's running. Only one out of three hasn't experienced significant problems with it. One guy said he would never have leased it since it's in the shop about half the time he has it and he's constantly fearing it will break down on him

Reactions: Morrischiano
I know a few people with them. They all love the vehicle when it's running. Only one out of three hasn't experienced significant problems with it. One guy said he would never have leased it since it's in the shop about half the time he has it and he's constantly fearing it will break down on him
I am curious if this happens to be with the Land Rover and not so much the Range Rover. I never hear of much problem with the Range and personally, over the past 12 years, never experienced much wrong with a RR myself.

We loved our Disco. Over engineered, tough as nails and very comfortable. However, when things go bad it’s expensive. Tires are expensive, brakes are expensive, and we had to replace the head gaskets. Super-expensive. Finally raised the white flag and traded it in.

Specific to your inquiry- it is a CPO so should have at least 2 more years on warranty- find out the cost of an extended warranty and maybe see if you can get maintenance into the deal. Negotiate the price and when happy- ask for maintenance to be thrown in to close the deal. They may just do it.
Also- don’t go much over 60 months on your payments...it would then be 8 years old and that is where they usually start having issues and if no longer on warranty- it gets costly
They wanted 3K for another year of extended warrantee. That seemed very high to me.

Had a 2005 Land Rover HSE LR3. No mechanical issues. One serious issue. Chewed up tires which are extremely expensive. Dealer told us it was an engineering design flaw. Not just our vehicle. Fit 7 though Great for tailgating.

wife owns a 2017 Range Rover Sport. Loves it. No issues to date. Range Rover servicing is terrible. Time means nothing to them. Lived in Texas. Live Maryland. Same attitude.

Had a 2005 Land Rover HSE LR3. No mechanical issues. One serious issue. Chewed up tires which are extremely expensive. Dealer told us it was an engineering design flaw. Not just our vehicle. Fit 7 though Great for tailgating.

wife owns a 2017 Range Rover Sport. Loves it. No issues to date. Range Rover servicing is terrible. Time means nothing to them. Lived in Texas. Live Maryland. Same attitude.
Service is 100% on the dealership you are going to and their owners...It isn't a brand issue.

So an update:

I bit the bullet and bought the '21 Genesis GV80 3.5T with the third row. Expensive but an incredibly slick car, inside and out.

Sounds like a much better choice, although I'd have gone Lexus GX if I were shopping that market, gaper grille and all.

That's just me, though. Genesis looks like a solid pick.

Supposedly Hyundai's working on a more capable 4x4 to compete with the Land Cruiser. Look forward to seeing it.

This car turned my head the other day. What did is cost you?
I got the bigger engine:3.5 T plus I needed the 3rd row. I went to 4 dealerships and they didn’t offer much of a discount but got a ‘21 for $63k ($66k) sticker. I had a budget of $55k that was then stretched to $60k sooo you know how things go.

Sounds like a much better choice, although I'd have gone Lexus GX if I were shopping that market, gaper grille and all.

That's just me, though. Genesis looks like a solid pick.

Supposedly Hyundai's working on a more capable 4x4 to compete with the Land Cruiser. Look forward to seeing it.
I looked at the Hyundai Palisade. Nice car too but a little underpowered.

The Lexus GX looks very dated. It needs a reboot.

Last edited:
I got the bigger engine:3.5 T plus I needed the 3rd row. I went to 4 dealerships and they didn’t offer much of a discount but got a ‘21 for $63k ($66k) sticker. I had a budget of $55k that was then stretched to $60k sooo you know how things go.

were those dealerships in NJ? I'm in same market, also looking at BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7

were those dealerships in NJ? I'm in same market, also looking at BMW X5, Volvo XC90, Audi Q7

I owned a 2013 Lr4 and loved it but it started having problems.

I bought a 2020 telluride SX in November 2019 and I absolutely love it. My wife’s daily driver so I need to buy something soon and I can’t find something I like more than the telluride SX. At that trim level, it compares to any luxury vehicle with the exception of the extra oomph when passing someone or coming off the line. But for luxury, it’s incredible. The Genesis might be my next purchase

Reactions: Jimpeg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT