ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Busted pipe under basement slab

Doteman

Senior
Mar 15, 2007
I opted to not rip up the basement floor and had a plumber just build a new bypass line. Cost me about $1100. I'm a first time homeowner and just moved in a few months ago, should I submit this through homeowner's insurance? Thx for any advice in advance.

Call your insurance company and talk to an agent. They will tell you what is best to do.

I doubt your rate would go up for that but agree probably good to talk to agent.

Yep, find out if it will affect your rate. Would this be your first claim against homeowner's or renter's insurance?

On another note, every time I look at the title of the thread, I hear the opening line of Me And Bobby McGee:

"Busted flat in Baton Rouge..." ♪

The busted pipe is not covered under your policy, only the subsequent damage.

The pipe is only covered if “something” happened to it... ie lightning, something fell on it, etc, not wear and tear.

The busted pipe is not covered under your policy, only the subsequent damage.

The pipe is only covered if “something” happened to it... ie lightning, something fell on it, etc, not wear and tear.
Unfortunately Rububba is correct. The pipe is not covered unless it was damaged by a covered peril. If you had the slab ripped up to get to the pipe then that is a different story. Only the slab repair would be covered.

You might be surprised how little if might have cost to fix the pipe under the slab. I know it would be more than 1100 but it can be done very efficiently. I have done it.

First, a leak locating company comes in and positons the leak within a couple of feet. Then the plumber just opens the slab in that area, fixes the pipe and puts in new concrete. It does not mean ripping up the whole floor or even a large portion of it.

Leak detection is pretty impressive. I also had it done for an underground water leak at my business. Pinpoints the location of the needed repair and minimizes the work required.

Next time get some grow lights. Buy some seeds and start growing pot. The plants can be watered automatically with the leak. Within 100 days of Murphy's administration it will be legal and your in business!:sunglasses:

Leak detection is pretty impressive. I also had it done for an underground water leak at my business. Pinpoints the location of the needed repair and minimizes the work required.
It really is amazing nowadays - they used something akin to this to find the well at my parents' house in 2014 which was buried over a foot down.

I opted to not rip up the basement floor and had a plumber just build a new bypass line. Cost me about $1100. I'm a first time homeowner and just moved in a few months ago, should I submit this through homeowner's insurance? Thx for any advice in advance.
In this entire thread it wasn't mentioned if it was a water pipe or a sewer pipe. It also wasn't mentioned how you found a broken pipe under the basement floor.

Reactions: scrappy5
You might be surprised how little if might have cost to fix the pipe under the slab. I know it would be more than 1100 but it can be done very efficiently. I have done it.

First, a leak locating company comes in and positons the leak within a couple of feet. Then the plumber just opens the slab in that area, fixes the pipe and puts in new concrete. It does not mean ripping up the whole floor or even a large portion of it.

True, but the OP may have taken the route that bodes best for the future. The pipe under the slab may have been old and susceptible to new breaches.

If it's copper, repair. If it's polybutylene, bypass or replumb the entire house. This is just the beginning.

Reactions: scrappy5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT