ADVERTISEMENT

OT: combined no hitters

knight82

All American
Gold Member
Nov 4, 2002
Baseball fans : do you feel combined no hitters compare to when one pitcher throws one? Personally once they take the starter out, I don't even care anymore

Last edited:
it boggles my mind that some pitchers don't seem to have a problem with it
It happened in the 2022 world series -- Cristian Javier combined with three relievers to pitch a no-hitter that enabled Houston to tie the World Series with the Philllies at two games each. The Astros went into the game with a 100-pitch limit for Javier on the chance they might need him for a 7th game, and he threw 97 in six innings. Of course the no-hitter is not the equivalent of Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 Series, but it was a noteworthy achievement anyway. Although a Phillies fan, I was rooting in the 9th for the 'Stros to finish it off.

Maybe some pitchers shouldn't have a problem with being pulled. Michael Lorenzen threw 124 pitches, his career high, in pitching his no-hitter for the Phillies in 2023. He hasn't been the same since.

One pitcher no hitters are what counts.
However, crtics will point to the case of Johan Santana who threw a career high 134 pitches in throwing his no-no. If I remember correctly a series of injuries followed and he was never the same pitcher again.

Reactions: newell138
One pitcher no hitters are what counts.
However, crtics will point to the case of Johan Santana who threw a career high 134 pitches in throwing his no-no. If I remember correctly a series of injuries followed and he was never the same pitcher again.
It's funny- we hear that so often about him and that game...dude was well into his career and I sort of doubt if a single game, pitching an extra 10-20 pitches really was the reason for his downfall.

It's funny- we hear that so often about him and that game...dude was well into his career and I sort of doubt if a single game, pitching an extra 10-20 pitches really was the reason for his downfall.
I have to agree with this. Santana was 33 and had missed all of the previous season while recovering from shoulder surgery

I have to agree with this. Santana was 33 and had missed all of the previous season while recovering from shoulder surgery
This has been one of two things that drive me crazy. Back in Santana’s day- 110-120 pitches were pretty common.
The other is crying about the Bonilla contract.
Deferring it was one of the smarter moves to be made and there are so many contracts that were similar or worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT