ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Comet Neowise

ashokan

Hall of Famer
May 3, 2011
I don't see or hear much about the comet in the news or forums - just the local photo group on FB

Some people got nice pics. This one is over Breakneck Mountain near USMA

MGm0PHv.jpg

This is the Tappan Zee obvs

m6xHmaa.jpg

Hudson Valley sky

FrmUSON.jpg

How to watch for spectacular Comet Neowise – before it disappears for 6,800 years
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ng-night-sky-week-near-big-dipper/5428597002/

OMG! I learned of this from a celebrity. I looked at my apps of the moon and sun and got nothing.

Its kind of strange how under the radar the comet has been (although I dont watch TV). Usually the "signs of the apocalypse" stories pop-up.

Neowise is supposed to be the brightest comet since Hale Bop in 1997. That's when all those Heaven's Gate people killed themselves wearing new Nikes.

Reactions: ashokan
That first image across breakneck is such a beautiful spot. Just south of conrwall and north of West Point on 218...highly recommend it. In the fall it is like driving through a yellow tunnel!

Reactions: RU#1fan and Jm0513
I don't see or hear much about the comet in the news or forums - just the local photo group on FB

Some people got nice pics. This one is over Breakneck Mountain near USMA

MGm0PHv.jpg

This is the Tappan Zee obvs

m6xHmaa.jpg

Hudson Valley sky

FrmUSON.jpg

How to watch for spectacular Comet Neowise – before it disappears for 6,800 years
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ng-night-sky-week-near-big-dipper/5428597002/

I just learned about this yesterday. Will be looking out for it in the days ahead. Hope no cults decide the catch the mothership trailing it this time around

Known about it for a little while now.

It’s been out there and talked about on many media platforms.

Last edited:
So any places in northern NJ where it would be good viewing for this? Unfortunately where we live we only have a good southwest exposure to the night sky.

Isn't that 3rd pic of the mario Cuimi Bridge? WAIT.. I mean the Mario M. Cuomo Bridge?

Hopefully, everyone will keep calling it the Tappan Zee... which is gorgeous driving over in the fall foliage.. either early morning headed west or late afternoon headed east.

So any places in northern NJ where it would be good viewing for this? Unfortunately where we live we only have a good southwest exposure to the night sky.
Here's a light pollution map... find a spot where the pollution to the NW is low and you can get a clear view.. maybe check google maps for a streetview to see elevations of views to NW one you find a town to aim for .

Delaware Water Gap seems best in Jersey to me)

Exit 58-52 on GS Parkway South seems like a good spot too; though anywhere folks go they should look for a nice clear view of the horizon.. the chart DJ Spanky posted shows the comet gets HIGHER UP night by night.. tonight it will be at its lowest. Dry air today should help with viewing.

The Hillsborough Deli area is rumored to be a good spot. Perhaps you could pick up some good Rutgers Football rumors from the MILFs there.

Last edited:
Was outside with the wife a few nights ago and the comet shot over us - Biggest, fastest looking object I’ve ever seen in the sky.

Is it actually moving???? I thought it would just look like a star. I looked last night but it was a little cloudy

It was moving so fast and it looked very close to earth. It was so much bigger than any shooting star or meteors I’ve seen that I thought it might have been crashing to earth.
By far the coolest celestial? event I’ve witnessed

Reactions: Jm0513
It was moving so fast and it looked very close to earth. It was so much bigger than any shooting star or meteors I’ve seen that I thought it might have been crashing to earth.
By far the coolest celestial? event I’ve witnessed
Was it Sunday night around midnight? If so, you may have seen the International Space Station. It is very bright in the sky and moves pretty quickly overhead. Movement of comets across the sky shouldn’t be fast.

Its kind of strange how under the radar the comet has been (although I dont watch TV). Usually the "signs of the apocalypse" stories pop-up.

Neowise is supposed to be the brightest comet since Hale Bop in 1997. That's when all those Heaven's Gate people killed themselves wearing new Nikes.

Adidas should use that info in an ad campaign:

Adidas...You'll live longer!~

MO

Was it Sunday night around midnight? If so, you may have seen the International Space Station. It is very bright in the sky and moves pretty quickly overhead. Movement of comets across the sky shouldn’t be fast.
My younger Son has the app on his phone so we can see stuff like this.

And you're right the Space Station moves pretty darn fast.

Reactions: MURF87
I just bought a telescope a few months ago and have really gotten into astronomy lately. I work overnights though so I don't get much opportunity to use it, and the tall trees surrounding my backyard block a lot of the sky, including where the comet is. If we have clear skies this weekend I'll probably pack up the telescope and head somewhere more wide open so I can get a closer view of it.

Anyone else here have a telescope? I'm looking to upgrade and am trying to gather as much information on what scopes others have used around here and how well they performed.

Also, I've found this site to be very useful in finding what's in the sky--constellations, planets, satellites, the comet, and if you have a telescope you can use this site to find galaxies, nebulas, and star clusters.

While we're on the topic, Rutgers has an astronomy club that has observation nights that are open to the public. With the campus basically shut down for the fall, the next one won't be until the spring, but it sounds like something that could be worth checking out when the time comes.

It was the comet and looked like a huge fireball flying through the sky. Definitely was not the space station.

now you guys are bugging me out saying it’s supposed to look stationary
Sorry to rain on your parade but if what you saw moved across the sky while you were looking at it, it was definitely not the comet. It isn't close enough to Earth to cross our sky like that. From Earth's perspective, it is moving slowly, which is why it appears in almost the same part of the sky every night, only changing slightly, just like the other planets do. It is visible until Earth's rotation puts it below the horizon, and then it rises in the morning and is visible until the sun rises. It is in the sky throughout the day, but like everything else we can't see it because the sun is too bright.

Newburgh-Beacon Bridge

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="Xvksuev"><a href="">View post on imgur.com</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Reactions: Jm0513
Was outside with the wife a few nights ago and the comet shot over us - Biggest, fastest looking object I’ve ever seen in the sky.

That was not the comet. The comet would be stationary in the sky, looking like a Star with a bit of a tail

What you saw might have been a fireball
Meteor, basically a meteor which crosses the sky more slowly than your typical shooting star, and often you can see sparks
Coming off of it.

I was fortunate to see a fireball in the mid 60’s

It was seen by millions and made the front page of the daily news, the theory being it burned out over Canada

Consider yourself lucky if you witnessed one, it is much more impressive than a comet, having seen them also

I’m not a big stargazer but I did get that sky guide app awhile back for a few bucks and it’s pretty good for a novice like me. Point the phone up at the sky and it tells you what’s there in the direction you’re looking.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT